closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1652

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm coming around to thinking of them as fake Speedmasters...

With the connivance of Swatch stores in the black market, I've even stopped caring about the existence of the actual fake ones.

Why be fleeced by an 'approved' scalper when you can just buy a fake one for a pittance?

M
    while not suggesting ppl to buy a fake but who can tell a £300+ real from a £50 fake from a distance .. then what's the point of buying such

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    while not suggesting ppl to buy a fake but who can tell a £300+ real from a £50 fake from a distance .. then what's the point of buying such
    Wearing fakes generally doesn't appeal to me on the basis of 'lying to myself', but we digress...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I don’t know where he got it from but the automotive YouTuber Shmee150 (who now has a watch channel) has compared a fake Moonswatch with the real thing.

https://youtu.be/Ok-WrSGQ-Bc

He goes into quite a bit of detail but doesn’t mention the 6 o’clock sub-dial doing something completely different to the swatch.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I don’t know where he got it from but the automotive YouTuber Shmee150 (who now has a watch channel) has compared a fake Moonswatch with the real thing.

He goes into quite a bit of detail but doesn’t mention the 6 o’clock sub-dial doing something completely different to the swatch.
    It's the 3 O'clock that's different - To be honest, his knowledge of watches is 'sketchy' at best...

M

Seems the fake dials are now spawning offshoot watches in their own right.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...79198823%21rec

What I got from the video are...scary...slightly...just a little bit of this and that.....and what exactly are those 3:00 and 6:00 differences?

From my recent experience of buying a f-PRX, the marginal difference in appearance is annoying while the price difference is frustrating
    Last edited by seikomatic; 5th August 2022 at 04:10.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

The fakes are easily spotted, the plastic on the crowns/pushers has an Almost translucent finish, edges on the crown and case aren’t sharp or defined, markings on the dial are a mile off, bezel markings incorrect, stitching on the strap is crap, the writing on the case back is badly pressed/moulded….

Master
    That was quite reassuring, I think.

1) Very easy to spot the differences in the packaging.
    2) The colour difference between the case and the moon pic on the rear
    3) He totally missed the subdial at 2 functionality. On the real ones, this is the 10/s counter. Always at 0 unless the chrono has been started and stopped. On the fakes it is a 24hr measure. Will only point at 0 when the other hands are at 12.

Until the fakers start using 10/s movements, I will be fairly confident...

I was in Florence last week on holiday and ventured into the centre a few times. When we were walking back to the car one afternoon spotted a short queue outside the swatch store so joined it and after 10/15 mins we were able to purchase. Much easier than London!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I was in Florence last week on holiday and ventured into the centre a few times. When we were walking back to the car one afternoon spotted a short queue outside the swatch store so joined it and after 10/15 mins we were able to purchase. Much easier than London!
    Which did you get?

I had the choice between the sun or Pluto and went for the sun. Initially it wasn’t one of the ones I was even considering but I’ve really enjoyed wearing it for the past week or so. My wife also bought one and has worn it a fair bit too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I had the choice between the sun or Pluto and went for the sun. Initially it wasn’t one of the ones I was even considering but I’ve really enjoyed wearing it for the past week or so. My wife also bought one and has worn it a fair bit too.
    I could be tempted with that but I really want the mercury (dark grey one)

Tried a Swatch shop in Paris today, with the window display out and full.

I walked in, and as I began to point towards the window the guard smiled and shook his head; didn't even need to finish my question!

The Mercury does look good in person, albeit through window glass.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    That was quite reassuring, I think.

1) Very easy to spot the differences in the packaging.
    2) The colour difference between the case and the moon pic on the rear
    3) He totally missed the subdial at 2 functionality. On the real ones, this is the 10/s counter. Always at 0 unless the chrono has been started and stopped. On the fakes it is a 24hr measure. Will only point at 0 when the other hands are at 12.

Until the fakers start using 10/s movements, I will be fairly confident...
    Easy if you have both to hand, but that isn't generally the case, is it.

Biggest giveaways I've seen are the 3 O'clock dial is a 24 hour mechanism instead of a 1/10th second chrono and a typo on the caseback.

The other differences are easy to see side by side, but harder in isolation

There seem to be variations on the fakes too. Some have a notch on a lug to remove the whole back to swap batteries, while others replicate the battery hatch more accurately.

M

Last edited by snowman; 6th August 2022 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    Went to the Edinburgh store at 11:00 yesterday as i was over with work.

Display case was in the window which usually means they have stock - ace.

They HAD stock at 10am. Sold out by 10:30.

A guy sits outside the shop every morning just before it opens. If they put the case out he sends a message to a group and a queue forms within 10 mins.

Still £150 premium on eBay from what i can see so I'm going to wait a bit yet.
    Strange, both in Amsterdam & Paris they have the cases in the window all the time!

And both Managers told me their deliveries come at random times, but normally right on lunchtime or just after!

I now have the Mars, just the Uranus to go

Master
    I see Bark+Jack isn't happy a pusher has snapped off his Moonswatch

"I was just walking along...etc. etc."
    Last edited by J J Carter; 7th August 2022 at 11:24.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    I see Bark+Jack isn't happy a pusher has snapped off his Moonswatch

"I was just walking along...etc. etc."
    A more appropriate quote might be the title of his video:

Blog Entries
    ^^^ He isn't a happy bunny about it, is he. I wouldn't be happy either.

But instead of gluing the pusher back on (!) he could just send it off for a warranty fix (well, replacement I expect).

Who knows, maybe the replacement will break too but that would actually be more informative as a datum point than merely a one off break.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th August 2022 at 12:03.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Seems the fake dials are now spawning offshoot watches in their own right.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...79198823%21rec
    This ones cool!! :0) (IMO)...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...11554582%21rec

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    ^^^ He isn't a happy bunny about it, is he. I wouldn't ne happy either.

But instead of gluing the pusher back on (!) he could just send it off for a warranty fix (well, replacement I expect).

Who knows, maybe the replacement will break too but that would actually be more informative as a datum point than merely a one off break.
    A good point - but looking at the way it’s broken off, it doesn’t look all that robust. Anybody ever had this happen to even a cheap Casio with plastic buttons? I certainly never have - and I’ve never seen it on any of their forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    A good point - but looking at the way it’s broken off, it doesn’t look all that robust. Anybody ever had this happen to even a cheap Casio with plastic buttons? I certainly never have - and I’ve never seen it on any of their forums.
    Oh, absolutely. Thin plastic over a metal (I think) ring is always a weak point.

Furthermore, they call the plastic "bioceramic" and, like more conventional ceramics, it does seem to have a certain brittleness which will exacerbate the likelihood of breakage at such a weak point.

But, all the same, a one off break doesn't tell us much. Rolexs break too sometimes. Rather than just giving up on it, getting a warranty replacement (and eventually seeing if that breaks or not) would actually be more informative in the longer run.

Master
    Really disappointing because I had a Swatch chrono in the late '90s that I wore often for years and I never had the slightest problem with it. Still have it somewhere, must dig it out and give it a new battery some time.

Just as aside - I wore my MoonSwatch to go watch shopping in Southampton on Saturday. Tried on a few different pieces in all the various high street stores - EJ, HS, GS etc. and not one of the sales people knew what it was. In fact, the Goldsmiths sales person commented on my "Speedmaster Pro" and asked how long I'd had it, and if I still had the box etc. they could do a trade-in against the Tudor I was trying on.

When I told him it cost me less than £300 he was quite taken aback. I think he thought it was a fake, until I pointed out the Swatch branding.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Just as aside - I wore my MoonSwatch to go watch shopping in Southampton on Saturday. Tried on a few different pieces in all the various high street stores - EJ, HS, GS etc. and not one of the sales people knew what it was. In fact, the Goldsmiths sales person commented on my "Speedmaster Pro" and asked how long I'd had it, and if I still had the box etc. they could do a trade-in against the Tudor I was trying on.

When I told him it cost me less than £300 he was quite taken aback. I think he thought it was a fake, until I pointed out the Swatch branding.
    Mistake, should have taken the trade in offer

I hear that in some circles there is a lot of amusement that the fake MoonSwatches are better made than the genuine ones.
    I really think Omega have sold themselves short, on money and quality here.

That shows how much these people actually know about watches, doesn't it...

Selling watches today, washing machines last week, houses next....

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That shows how much these people actually know about watches, doesn't it...

Selling watches today, washing machines last week, houses next....

M

Washing Machines -> Omega's -> Properties

Sounds like progression.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I hear that in some circles there is a lot of amusement that the fake MoonSwatches are better made than the genuine ones.
    I really think Omega have sold themselves short, on money and quality here.
    I don't think Omega had much say in it. It was the organ grinder rather than the monkey that decided on this particular "collaboration".

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Washing Machines -> Omega's -> Properties

Sounds like progression.
    You can order them how you like...

There is no difference.

M

Please god, just no.

“Hi guys, I’m Schmee”

Jeez…..🫣

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Please god, just no.

“Hi guys, I’m Schmee”

Jeez…..﫣
    Isn't he Darth Vader's mum... err dad?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Please god, just no.

“Hi guys, I’m Schmee”

Jeez…..🫣
    It's hard work isn't it?

His knowledge of watches seems very limited, but I've found some of his videos on running an electric Porsche pretty interesting.

M

Master
    I once got very drunk with someone who used to work in their service centre. Now lives (and works) in the Cayman Islands. He told me he worked there over 20 years before branching out into other brands. He said they were good watches. But no better than the rest. This was before the current bubble - about 2011 or so. He said if I ever had the money, buy a Grand Seiko.

On his wrist? A Casio F-91W.
    Sounds like a bull shitter to me.

For anyone in / around the Bullring in Birmingham today apparently they’re selling Moonswatches from a swatch pop up of some sort near the Nando’s for one day only.

amazed this thread has 27 pages, there is nothing Omega about these watches.
    They are pure Swatch that look like a Hong Kong fake made in plastic.

I guess this person must of bought a fake at some point.

Very nice of him to share some tips on how to avoid buying one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265830549...mis&media=COPY

Sent from a technical device.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I guess this person must of bought a fake at some point.

Very nice of him to share some tips on how to avoid buying one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265830549...mis&media=COPY
    Very good. Well done to daveyonthemove2010 whoever he is.

Master
    Gift from the wife this week. Initial impressions are mostly positive. I thought I had a preference for the Mercury, but I quite like the lighter grey of the moon irl.

It’s a bit of fun, it’s not trying to be anything it’s not, and anyone getting in a twist about them may be missing the point.

Last edited by gcleminson; 17th August 2022 at 15:03.

For a bit of fun I thought I'd try a variety of 15 different straps on my Mission to Jupiter.

Master
    Hi all, off to Amsterdam at the weekend so might try the Swatch shop which are stockists. Anyone know what availability is likely to be? Impossible question perhaps, but if anyone has any local knowledge it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Master
    Not seen this posted here yet and it might be of use to anyone thinking of buying. While the fakes appear to be growing more convincing from a quality perspective, one surefire way to tell a genuine one from a fake one (for now) is by weight. A genuine Moonswatch is 31g inc. strap (verflified using my own watch). The fake I saw someone posting about weighed 22g, so significantly lighter.

Master
    They had a little stock in the Amsterdam store yesterday, the red & white and pink. My friend picked up one and I picked up the pink for my wife. They then refused to sell my other friend one as they are not selling to ‘groups’. Ironic really from what I’ve heard especially as we are keeping them and not flipping!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    They then refused to sell my other friend one as they are not selling to ‘groups’. Ironic really from what I’ve heard especially as we are keeping them and not flipping!
    GAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    They had a little stock in the Amsterdam store yesterday, the red & white and pink. My friend picked up one and I picked up the pink for my wife. They then refused to sell my other friend one as they are not selling to ‘groups’. Ironic really from what I’ve heard especially as we are keeping them and not flipping!
    That seems extremely unfair for the friend that missed out. So he'd have been better pretending be didn't know the other two? Sounds like a drawing straws excersize only even more unfair for the loser as they don't even participate in that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    That seems extremely unfair for the friend that missed out. So he'd have been better pretending be didn't know the other two? Sounds like a drawing straws excersize only even more unfair for the loser as they don't even participate in that.
    Yes that’s exactly it. The sales assistant simply sold another one to the next person at the counter! We didn’t let it bother us too much as we were there for a good time and tbh on closer inspection of the watches they are really not worth getting excited about..

Have they fixed the colour bleed issues?

Master

Omega x Swatch

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    Have they fixed the colour bleed issues?
    Believe that is only on the Neptune?
    Was in a store yesterday and was told it was discontinued temporarily but now they have sorted it and it is coming back. Obviously can’t guarantee that’s true but that is what the guy in the swatch store told me.
    Last edited by Boss13; 29th August 2022 at 16:54.

Thanks. That's interesting. Kind of amazing that it made it through like that in the first place. I saw a YT video of someone quite upset about this and saying it was Swatch devaluing the Omega name to drive sales and I can't really argue with that. The price to quality just doesn't seem to be there.

Master
    Does anyone know what the stocking is like in London are they gone as soon as they come in?

Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Does anyone know what the stocking is like in London are they gone as soon as they come in?

You won’t even get in front of the grifters.
    Waste of time trying