closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 1530

Thread: Omega x Swatch

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Am I missing something how come all these scumbags already have these on eBay when they donít even go on sale till Saturday
    They're betting they can get one when they go to a shop

  2. #52
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Am I missing something how come all these scumbags already have these on eBay when they don’t even go on sale till Saturday
    They work at a Swatch store or distributor, perhaps? These will have been in the supply chain for some weeks.

  3. #53
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    They're betting they can get one when they go to a shop
    Yep, and theyíll just delay or cancel the order when it sells out and they realise they canít fulfil the order.

  4. #54
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Penicuik, Midlothian, Scotland
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I think it's exactly what they want everyone to think - I did too, until someone pointed out that it's a Swatch. And plastic. And cheap. Not a chance these will not be sold online after this initial (extremely successful) hype drive.
    Even says in the GQ article that i read that these are not limited.

    maseman

  5. #55
    They look great for a cheap eta quartz pick up and go.....

    Seems like brilliant marketing - get people in at the bottom with a "real" homage! - and then pull them up the watch mountain. I am in no rush to head towards London - but soon enough they will be available on the web.. and they are not a limited range.

    Nice to see something different which costs less than a small car.....


    Cheers

    Matt

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Even says in the GQ article that i read that these are not limited.

    maseman
    Good. Because the 'Mercury' is growing on me, as it doesn't actually look plasticky! The rest though...

    https://youtu.be/uv_yvEKPW40

  7. #57
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,383
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I predict massive media hype, people getting carried away and paying over the odds only to suddenly realise itís a lump of plastic.
    Is it any different though to the people getting carried away by the media hype and paying over the odds only to suddenly realise the watch they have paid many thousands over list for is only a lump of steel.

  9. #59
    I do like the idea of a grab and go Speedy, but seeing as all I have to do with mine is set the time and give it a quick wind, it's not that much more work.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Good. Because the 'Mercury' is growing on me, as it doesn't actually look plasticky! The rest though...

    https://youtu.be/uv_yvEKPW40
    The Mercury for me also.

    I think the beauty of them are the iconic design yet cost virtually nothing to buy so can be worn anywhere anytime.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 24th March 2022 at 20:13.

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Trying to work out the corporate reasoning behind this move. Initially I thought this was long term play by the Swatch Group to target the youth market in order to generate an interest for when they can afford the real thing. Now I wonder whether it is more of a short term move to reinvigorate the Swatch brand.

    Anyone know how Swatch was doing prior to this announcement? I know Swatch Group were hit by the pandemic but I don't know whether the Swatch brand needed some kind of revival. I wonder if the Swatch Group is using the Omega brand to reinvigorate Swatch.
    Well Swatch saved Omega so maybe it's payback time.

    And these aren't "plastic" -- not quite sure what they are, tbh, nor how they will feel in the hand (maybe, er, plastic-y).

    I quite fancy one for fishing, DIY etc. Looks lightweight and if it has decent WR then it's a great grab-and-go beater for times when you'd rather not wear a vintage Speedy.

    The lugs / springbars are a concern. Will this fit normal Speedy endpieces? Will strap changing be easy and painless? Are the lug holes likely to wear more than metal? Basically, I ain't wearing it on that strap so I'd like to know what my options are. Seeing as they telemetrically scanned a real Speedmaster I'm assuming the dimensions, measurements etc are identical. But the material ain't.

  12. #62
    Bloody hell

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-X-S...-127635-2958-0

    Madness really.

    Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

  13. #63
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Bloody hell

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-X-S...-127635-2958-0

    Madness really.

    Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Crazy, there's loads with bids too. I assume the people listing don't even have these "in hand". Say a picture of people camping outside one store but don't know if it was genuine

  14. #64
    Shame it's disposable. So much for the "eco" / "green" credentials. Somewhat out of step with the zeitgeist.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Make it a family trip, buy 2 wife goes in and buys 2 kids go in and buy 2 each.
    Family camping trip more like!

  16. #66
    The sad thing is there will be loads of idiot's paying way over the odds for them.

    Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Shame it's disposable. So much for the "eco" / "green" credentials. Somewhat out of step with the zeitgeist.
    I am curious to know why it's disposable?

  18. #68
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I am curious to know why it's disposable?
    Or any more disposable than any other watch.

  19. #69
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    3,024
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Or any more disposable than any other watch.
    Because it is likely you can't get the back off to service it ergo once it has a problem beyond a flat battery it is junk. Like around 90% of other Swatch designs.

  20. #70
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    1,341
    You can't get the back off, correct. Just a battery change is possible.

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Because it is likely you can't get the back off to service it ergo once it has a problem beyond a flat battery it is junk. Like around 90% of other Swatch designs.
    ^^ this. Non-repairable and monobloc case

  22. #72
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    5,025
    Regarding the green credentials, or rather lack of them I don't think it's any less green than its vastly more expensive steel cousin. It will almost certainly last years and years, and will not come in half a rain forest worth of packaging, and it won't need to accumulate planet killing airmiles being sent off for a service every few years either.

  23. #73
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    4,131
    The pictures look great and I may get one after all the hype has died down. Iíd like to see some real world pictures and impressions of those that have bought and owned one first though.

    Cheers
    Neil

  24. #74
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,557
    Iím wondering how the Ďno soulsí auto purists are taking this
    As a quartz only man Iím keen on the moon swatch

  25. #75
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Iím wondering how the Ďno soulsí auto purists are taking this
    As a quartz only man Iím keen on the moon swatch
    Ah, souls.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

  26. #76
    Master earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tether's End, Lincs
    Posts
    3,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Ah, souls.

  27. #77
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The East
    Posts
    996
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think they are great, they remind me of my plastic Tag-F1 I had as a teenager and which I constantly miss. It was the watch that got me started.

    Sadly I am busy Saturday otherwise I would consider heading to london.
    If anyone can grab me one I would be eternally grateful, mercury preferred but any colour apart from the pink/gold to be honest.

  28. #78
    Journeyman Dean Learner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    234
    I really can't get enough of these things, hopefully that continues through the hype when I can actually get one. Will have to wait and see.

    They just make me smile (which really is swatches entire business model) and the more annoyed they make some people as they "ruin omega" the more I like them.

    Reminds me of this great collab. Who wouldn't want a flashy fiat with a Ferrari badge!!

  29. #79
    Omega getting away with quartz....


    Ok I'm in.

    Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

  30. #80
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    894
    Would have gone to edinburgh on Saturday and picked up a couple of them ( I live in Glasgow) but itís the wifeís birthday so donít suppose she would appreciate me being away for the morning


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What can you say, its a good job they are a limited run other wise the watch will be worth just a couple of hundred notes in a few months lol

  32. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Omega getting away with quartz....


    Ok I'm in.

    Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Oh no
    42mm...

    Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

  33. #83
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    2,929
    Blog Entries
    2
    I love the colour but I just wish they had made them as premium omegas.

    If they had done these in a higher quality material, with better movement and charged 20 times more I would of been in. But I guess I'm not their target for these.

    The mission to Mars in red ceramic would have sold bucket loads at £8k.

  34. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    The sad thing is there will be loads of idiot's paying way over the odds for them.

    Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    I am always amazed when I see these how people will pay several hundred pounds more for a product, I can understand people paying a small amount more for an item that someone wants but we can see one auction already at £800 plus and the retail price is just over £200, just plain stupidity really, the facts are its a plastic quartz watch that will at some stage be sold in the thousands, I guess some people just have that much money they dont know what to do with it lol.

  35. #85
    Anyone know just exactly what quartz movement is in it?
    I doubt it will be one of the better quality one's.

    Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

  36. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Anyone know just exactly what quartz movement is in it?
    I doubt it will be one of the better quality one's.

    Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    On one of the images I seen it had what appeared to be ETA stamped.

  37. #87
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,580
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Is it any different though to the people getting carried away by the media hype and paying over the odds only to suddenly realise the watch they have paid many thousands over list for is only a lump of steel.
    Yes, because its a lot easier for most to chuck away £200 and have buyers remorse than luxury watch money of thousands...it will always be a more considered decision. I think the only equivalent would be a multi-millionaire whose spend on a luxury watch is proportional to an average guys spend on a Swatch.

  38. #88
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    920
    Don't know what to make of these!!
    I'm up Edinburgh next weekend, may see if they have the Mercury one in.
    Quite like it but may be rubbish in hand.

  39. #89
    Master Seiko7A38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    S.W. England
    Posts
    4,019
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Anyone know just exactly what quartz movement is in it?
    I doubt it will be one of the better quality one's.
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    On one of the images I seen it had what appeared to be ETA stamped.
    Indeed it is, per: https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/ome...swatch-collab/

    Update: what we know from the caseback is that it is indeed an ETA movement, with 4 jewels and a V8 stamp indicating Swissness.
    As per
    Caliber Corner, it looks like it will be a no-date version of the ETA caliber G10.212.
    https://www.eta.ch/en/our-products/q...raph-g10212-ad
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 25th March 2022 at 10:08.

  40. #90
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,580
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I love the colour but I just wish they had made them as premium omegas.

    If they had done these in a higher quality material, with better movement and charged 20 times more I would of been in. But I guess I'm not their target for these.

    The mission to Mars in red ceramic would have sold bucket loads at £8k.
    When the hype started, I thought it was going to be this...something in the £2000 range to copy Breitling's Endurance range with a Speedmaster equivalent. Maybe the £200 Swatch is better as there is a clearer deliniation in price point between a Moonswatch and a Moonwatch.

  41. #91
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,042
    Reading one of the listings... just a speculator that is hoping to get one! Actually, looking at the other items, hoping for six. Twat.



    Only aiming for a £343 profit each...

  42. #92
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,580
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Reading one of the listings... just a speculator that is hoping to get one! Actually, looking at the other items, hoping for six. Twat.



    Only aiming for a £343 profit each...
    Scalping really has become an income stream for quite a few people. I'm not sure when this trend started, certainly don't remember it in the 90s or early 2000s. I think the first time I saw this behaviour become mainstream was with iPhones.

  43. #93
    Master 50kopek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,186
    I'm not sure what's going on here, but this can't be real:

    https://www.ebay.nl/itm/115309213076...YAAOSw8c5iPC2d

  44. #94
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Scalping really has become an income stream for quite a few people. I'm not sure when this trend started, certainly don't remember it in the 90s or early 2000s. I think the first time I saw this behaviour become mainstream was with iPhones.
    used to happen with new console releases didnt it? seem to recall playstations going for silly money at release on ebay.
    Maybe when ebay rose to prominence these kinds of things started with peeps able to get what they want at an inflated fee

  45. #95
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    5,270
    I think the listings being bid to multiple thousands are just people sticking two fingers up to scalpers.

    Thereís a strong sense of FOMO with these releases though!

  46. #96
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,908
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    They look great for a cheap eta quartz pick up and go.....

    Seems like brilliant marketing - get people in at the bottom with a "real" homage! - and then pull them up the watch mountain. I am in no rush to head towards London - but soon enough they will be available on the web.. and they are not a limited range.

    Nice to see something different which costs less than a small car.....


    Cheers

    Matt
    I think the whole thing is a stroke of genius, inspire a whole new generation into the story of the Speedmaster/Moonwatch with a completely affordable version, available in colours to suit pretty much everybody, that shares the same dimensions as the Moonwatch so they'll all know how well the watch wears. I can see a big trickle down to increased sales of the regular Moonwatch down the line, and that's without all the added interest from the likes of us watch fanatics that want one or several. It's just brilliant IMO. My wife already wants the pink one and she lost interest in watches ages ago, nice to see her genuinely excited about a new watch again.

    I hope to buy either the Mars or Mercury when they're available online later on, haven't decided between those two yet.

  47. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on here, but this can't be real:

    https://www.ebay.nl/itm/115309213076...YAAOSw8c5iPC2d
    Selling it a bit too cheaply! Look at this one


  48. #98
    Master daveyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,956
    I hope scalpers donít ruin the pricing on these and that they are easily available from swatch. I think itís a marketing home run for swatch and omega, brilliant. I will not be having a mission to Uranus though

  49. #99
    Having watched the Watchfinders video, the thing that stood out was that the Swatch "S" etched into the crystal (?) is clearly visible but misaligned with the dial.



    This of course got me to look at my own Moonwatch. The Omega on the crystal took a bit of finding, even with a loupe, and sure enough it was almost exactly upside down :-)

    Perhaps the misaligned etched crystal is another thing that makes it a good homage :-)

  50. #100
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    3,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Having watched the Watchfinders video, the thing that stood out was that the Swatch "S" etched into the crystal (?) is clearly visible but misaligned with the dial.



    This of course got me to look at my own Moonwatch. The Omega on the crystal took a bit of finding, even with a loupe, and sure enough it was almost exactly upside down :-)

    Perhaps the misaligned etched crystal is another thing that makes it a good homage :-)
    At the factory, Omega never align the symbol on the dial with an acrylic crystal, what they do is align the split in the tension ring so it is less noticeable. If you see an aligned symbol on a plastic Omega crystal, it was pure chance or more likely the crystal has been replaced by a non-Omega watchmaker as those guys seem to align them. I think Omega do possibly align the logos on the sapphire crystal watches that have them such as the Trilogy Railmaster and Seamaster, though I am not sure and don't have mine to hand to check.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information