closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Wonder how long the queue takes? Must be a good few hours?
    If the queue in the coffee shop is more than two people, I go somewhere else
    Until around 3pm according to the sales guy yesterday

Wonder how long the queue for the real Omega boutique - just up the road from there - is? 🤔🙄

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I’ve offered £300 on eBay to 20 or so sellers now, most come back to me with counteroffers that a couple of weeks ago started with a 6, then a 5 and now early to mid 4’s…..

I’ll happily pay £300 for a BNIB of any flavour, nice easy mark up for a seller but they are all too greedy……. Up to yet :-)

With all the daft waiting lists and huge price increases over the last few years, sadly (but inevitably) this once gentle hobby - of collecting miniature clockwork marvels for our own pleasure - is now worth so much financially that all sorts of underhand tactics and nonsense are being employed solely in the pursuit of financial gain with all the shady characters that involves. Indeed when I bought a Tudor last week I was treated as a potential criminal/dealer to be avoided the moment I mentioned I’d owned a few Rolex watches. Puts me right off tbh, and my interest in collecting watches has diminished at the same rate the prices have increased :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    With all the daft waiting lists and huge price increases over the last few years, sadly (but inevitably) this once gentle hobby - of collecting miniature clockwork marvels for our own pleasure - is now worth so much financially that all sorts of underhand tactics and nonsense are being employed solely in the pursuit of financial gain with all the shady characters that involves. Indeed when I bought a Tudor last week I was treated as a potential criminal/dealer to be avoided the moment I mentioned I’d owned a few Rolex watches. Puts me right off tbh, and my interest in collecting watches has diminished at the same rate the prices have increased :(

All is not lost, I recently picked up a Seamaster 300m with the white dial and black bezel from the forum. It was a decent saving off the RRP so I don't think I would lose money if I decided to change it for something else. In a world of £13,000 submariners it truly is a bargain at 1/4 of the price. On a par for quality with the ceramic Sub I used to own but without the worry of getting mugged if I go out into a city in the evening. I've had so much pleasure out of it in the few months I've had it's been so refreshing.

I fully understand where you are coming from, I have been put off new watches for a while now, they don’t really hold anything more than a passing interest and I can’t remember the last time I visited an AD let alone bought a watch there. It must be 5 years plus.
    However I do still have a interest in vintage watches, the bollix that surrounds new watches has not transferred to vintage to the same extent and the scalpers are not interested as they cannot control supply or the market.
    Yes there are potential issues with maintenance etc but I would rather deal with that than the games you have to play to obtain a new mass produced watches that everyone else either wants or already has.

Master

There are still some great watches out there. Right now a number of stores have some great IWC Big Pilots, Panerai's, all the Tudor's, Omega's and Cartier's are pretty readily available.

We just need to avoid Rolex and AP until things calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It's April 2022, just so you know...
    He's in Scotland, I don't believe it's 2022 up there yet.

I was very interested in these at launch, and subscribed to a couple of Swatch's media feeds to try to keep track of availability.

A few days back I unsubscribed, since there was absolutely nothing of any interest or relevance posted since the launch.

It appears that Swatch have a potential winner on their hands, but are now doing their utmost to kill it stone dead by neglect and arrogance.

Doubt I shall ever buy one now - I like the watches, but Swatch clearly don't give a damn, so why should I?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I was very interested in these at launch, and subscribed to a couple of Swatch's media feeds to try to keep track of availability.

A few days back I unsubscribed, since there was absolutely nothing of any interest or relevance posted since the launch.

It appears that Swatch have a potential winner on their hands, but are now doing their utmost to kill it stone dead by neglect and arrogance.

Doubt I shall ever buy one now - I like the watches, but Swatch clearly don't give a damn, so why should I?
    Whilst I understand your frustration, it seems that you are cutting off your nose here.

Swatch won’t really give a damn whilst there are 000’s of other people ready to buy “the next best thing” they’ll just ride the wave.

Customer service and retention is largely irrelevant when your product is de rigueur, even though it shouldn’t be…..

Live, laugh, love……

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    ... Live, laugh, love……
    You had me, right up to that bit...

And sure, I wouldn't expect Swatch to give a rat's arse.

TBH they've done me a favour - I already have far too many watches that I rarely wear, no point adding to them!

Master
    Arrogance and neglect haven’t killed Rolex stone dead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

I'm not sure how neglect and arrogance have killing it? Swatch have said they're struggling to meet demand, and have said "there is currently not enough stock of the Bioceramic MoonSwatch Collection. We’re working around the clock behind the scenes to make the 11 unique watches and are replenishing our selected Swatch stores regularly ... they aren’t part of a limited edition, so you should indeed be able to get your hands on one."

Not sure what more you can expect of them?!

Regarding the post above, why are they unique?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    We're proud of that fact.

Apparently the moonswatch can now be certified as a space watch .. this pic is doing the rounds on watch forums .. looks like the mission to the sun variant

This Roscosmos Space Agency cosmonauts going to the international space station on March 18 2022 a few days before the release of the moonswatch

From here #39:
    https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/i...5399739/page-2
    Last edited by abraxas; 28th April 2022 at 19:34.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Wow! Look at all those "watch enthusiasts"
    I wonder how many of them actually work for a living rather than spend their days trying to make a few quid on ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Marketing stunt, nothing more.

They believe anything on WUS.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I still think it is ‘Mission accomplished’ by Swatch.
    Most people buying probably aren’t watch enthusiasts, so they are pulling in new customers.
    Have they taken a leaf from Rolex’s book, and increasing interest, demand, and values, by deliberately restricting supply?
    Albeit at a lower price point, which is much more achievable to most.
    I had many a Swatch in my 20s, but feel no loyalty to the Swatch group!
    Infact, Omega is one brand that leaves me stone cold.

I don't understand why my £25 Swatches never leeched colour, but the £200 plus version does?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I had many a Swatch in my 20s, but feel no loyalty to the Swatch group!
    Infact, Omega is one brand that leaves me stone cold.

I don't understand why my £25 Swatches never leeched colour, but the £200 plus version does?
    It is a new material used for case. The color transfer is unfortunate but it is what it is. It is a $200 watch. It is a marketing gimmick which has worked in some ways but I don’t know why many are getting so worked up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is a new material used for case. The color transfer is unfortunate but it is what it is. It is a $200 watch. It is a marketing gimmick which has worked in some ways but I don’t know why many are getting so worked up about it.
    It didn’t need to be rushed to market.

I’d expect R&D and some amount of testing to be done on a new material by one of the world’s largest watch manufacturers.

Surely someone knew the material transfers colour to the wearer before launching and the brand said ‘so what’. At any price point it shouldn’t happen.

Not getting worked though, I still think they’re cool watches and will still likely get one, ideally after the material has been improved.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    I'd hazard a guess it is the same people queuing each time.

Almost 1,000 for sale on Chrono24, and now approx 60 under £500 - market will soften on these.
    Had a quick look - now 90 under £500, cheapest is £388. Looks like people aren't paying big mark ups for a plastic watch

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Looks like people aren't paying big mark ups for a plastic watch
    No one could expect it to last forever…

Why didn’t they just make these out of normal Swatch plastic? None of mine in the 80’s ever cracked or showed particular signs of wear. Oh, hang on - must be for Marketing, bio ceramic sounds much more 2022 darling!

Why didn’t they just make these out of normal Swatch plastic? None of mine in the 80’s ever cracked or showed particular signs of wear. Oh, hang on - must be for Marketing, bio ceramic sounds much more 2022 darling!

Greenwashing maybe? Non-serviceable watches made from hydrocarbon-derived polymers and the resultant disposal problem, let alone accumulation of micro plastics in the environment, probably doesn’t look good nowadays.

The Swatch bioceramic is I believe two thirds zirconium oxide and one third polymer derived from castor oil. Therefore, Swatch can legitimately claim that the plastic comes from a biological and arguably sustainable source. Doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s biodegradable, however because that would depend on the nature of any chemical modification of the monomer feedstock, presumably fatty acids from the castor oil beans and/or plant.

The rumour spreading is that these won't now be available online - they will be in store only.

https://www.swatch.com/en-gb/bioceramic-moonswatch.html

It's not abundantly clear that this is the case from the update to their website.

Blog Entries
    I’m not sure if the online thing was ever actually defined?

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    The rumour spreading is that these won't now be available online - they will be in store only.

It's not abundantly clear that this is the case from the update to their website.
    I would imagine, once they are freely available, the excitement will have died down to a point where any watch enthusiast will have rather lost the flavour and be glad they hadn't been drawn in to the fervour. I have visited both London stores 4 times, to gauge the potential purchasers and didn't see anyone wearing a decent watch, my Speedmaster Professional was worn every time, as some sort of BF, but, only recognised twice by other "shoppers". Novelties wear off......

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Trying to work out whether this was a joke or not.
    Tell me if you're laughing when the next variant hits.

No joke.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Sigh....
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post

Sometimes it's good to have a bit of forced time to consider your interest. I really wanted a couple of these at launch and without question would have ordered one maybe two, now though I think I'll pass. Still think they're a great idea and cool watches but don't think I'm bothered about buying one any more.

Common for me to lose interest in things fast which is why I usually wait a long time before making bigger purchases to be sure I really want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Sometimes it's good to have a bit of forced time to consider your interest. I really wanted a couple of these at launch and without question would have ordered one maybe two, now though I think I'll pass. Still think they're a great idea and cool watches but don't think I'm bothered about buying one any more.

Common for me to lose interest in things fast which is why I usually wait a long time before making bigger purchases to be sure I really want them.
    Very true. One of the best pieces of advice I read on a thread started by someone asking what others have done to make themselves stop buying watches was just that. Wait and see if you still want it in x number of weeks or months. Often it’s the immediate desire that’s the main driver for buying.
    That’s where the sales section is lethal. Used watches where there is no time to think it over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Very true. One of the best pieces of advice I read on a thread started by someone asking what others have done to make themselves stop buying watches was just that. Wait and see if you still want it in x number of weeks or months. Often it’s the immediate desire that’s the main driver for buying.
    That’s where the sales section is lethal. Used watches where there is no time to think it over.
    Ah, the unmissable bargain! I know it well!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    But if you thought about it long enough, you might have to confront the uncomfortable truth that you really don't need more than one or two watches.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    But if you thought about it long enough, you might have to confront the uncomfortable truth that you really don't need more than one or two watches.
    And that you can buy a very reliable and accurate Quartz watch for around £10
    Or just use your mobile phone!

And that you can buy a very reliable and accurate Quartz watch for around £10
    Or just use your mobile phone!
    Yeah - most of the time I'm just playing devils advocate with myself!

Omega x Swatch

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Ah, the unmissable bargain! I know it well!
    Its got me many times! I hope my PM was first!

I think I’ve been thinking about it for too long then

Master
    I still want one I think once the ludicrous scalper situation is done and dusted. I just thought it would be a bit of a niche curiosity amongst some watch enthusiasts.. I didn’t imagine this preposterous situation at all.

I happened to pass the Covent Garden shop some days ago, there wasn’t a queue, no watches either.

How does it work? Do queues randomly form, someone stands outside and others just join to see what’s going on? Does stock come in on set days? Do the shops tip off potential customers and scalpers when stock is due in?

Just looked on C24, loads for sale in Italy and Switzerland. Few in U.K. or USA and asking prices reflect this. There are more than ten times the number for sale in Italy than U.K. Unevenness of supply distribution? Italian buyers haven’t taken to them, whereas Brits can’t get enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Asked in Times Square store today but sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I happened to pass the Covent Garden shop some days ago, there wasn’t a queue, no watches either.

How does it work? Do queues randomly form, someone stands outside and others just join to see what’s going on? Does stock come in on set days? Do the shops tip off potential customers and scalpers when stock is due in?

Just looked on C24, loads for sale in Italy and Switzerland. Few in U.K. or USA and asking prices reflect this. There are more than ten times the number for sale in Italy than U.K. Unevenness of supply distribution? Italian buyers haven’t taken to them, whereas Brits can’t get enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It does sound like a lot of marketing shenanigans, doesn't it? Fair play to them for shifting these at a pretty high price for a plastic quartz disposable watch.

Yeah - most of the time I'm just playing devils advocate with myself!
    Me too but without the devils advocate

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Me too but without the devils advocate
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Go_Getter View Post
    The madness continues.

Oxford Street 15 mins ago.

M
    I spy scalpers.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

This is interesting. Time running out for the scalpers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I spy scalpers.
    Prices drop hard and fast when scalpers are the biggest market influence.

Look at the black bay 58, I dare say, had they been steadily available at launch the used price would have stabilised to a higher point than it is now.

It's a bloodbath out there at the moment, with people trying to recoup their 'investment' far outnumbering buyers.

Craftsman
    Got my lad to call in at Edinburgh today and again nothing available.
    I quite fancied one or two of these but think I'm going off the boil with these now!

Sent from my M2012K11AG using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    It's a bloodbath out there at the moment, with people trying to recoup their 'investment' far outnumbering buyers.
    Good! Hope the profiteering t**ts get shafted.

Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    Prices drop hard and fast when scalpers are the biggest market influence.

Look at the black bay 58, I dare say, had they been steadily available at launch the used price would have stabilised to a higher point than it is now.

Just simple supply and demand.

Blog Entries
    There's been lots of mention of Moonswatches arriving with damaged/scratched crystals, apparently straight from the factory.

Perhaps this is the reason...

I.e. VERY easily scratched acrylic/plastic material for the crystal. Even the box can scratch it.