closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega x Swatch

If anyone wants the full set they are available on the bay for £9k plus tax. Thing is the seller accepts returns? I imagine there will be a few of them when they become available at £207.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    If anyone wants the full set they are available on the bay for £9k plus tax. Thing is the seller accepts returns? I imagine there will be a few of them when they become available at £207.
    looked earlier in the week and lots of the watches (apparently) with bids over list.

I quite like the look of the one over on SC - but I'm prepared to wait.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I quite like the look of the one over on SC - but I'm prepared to wait.
    Same here. No sure how long the wait is though?

Same here. No sure how long the wait is though?
    3 hours and absolute chaos!

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    3 hours and absolute chaos!
    Yep, but if you can find a mug on here thats £73 an hour for standing in a queue.

Good work if you can get it.

Update the 2nd one is unpacked.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Nice one. Let us know what you think of them please.
    May need to change the strap if wearing a lot, and not wanting to wait 'till the velcro loosens up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Yep, but if you can find a mug on here thats £73 an hour for standing in a queue.

Good work if you can get it.
    ‘Popcorn’ is it?

Quote Originally Posted by jimboy View Post
    May need to change the strap if wearing a lot, and not wanting to wait 'till the velcro loosens up.
    Quick strap change, excuse the dodgy phone pics, feels better.

What strap is that? Looks good on there.

Fakes already for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Fakes already for sale
    This was absolutely inevitable, especially with short term limited supply, and profiteering going on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Seeing some of the live photos now nobody will be confusing it with a real speedie! Just trying to get used to the sub dials they look a bit weird and sort of stretch out the dial. The closest I can think of is the weird shape of the sub dials on the speedmaster racing that made the dial look like an enormous blue bottle fly was looking at you.
    The lighter dials with contrasting sub-dials look a bit weird and the black ring doesn't help. However, I think the Moon, Mercury & Neptune versions look good overall. I could live with the Mars too.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    The lighter dials with contrasting sub-dials look a bit weird and the black ring doesn't help. However, I think the Moon, Mercury & Neptune versions look good overall. I could live with the Mars too.
    Perfect observation.

Now that's a massive improvement. Good 'choice of strap; skills that man!

Mission to sun

Got mine from Covent Garden today. I like it.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post

That’s one of the top 3 designs imho.

How does the case “feel”

Does it feel more ceramic or more plastic?

Moon and Mercury are the only ones i like. I'll probably get them when its an online job

Can’t quite make my mind up on them. Mercury would be the pick of the bunch, but also have a strange hankering for the Mars.

Intrigued to give one a go primarily to try the dimensions of the Speedy again with little outlay. Had a 145.022 back in 2012 but convinced myself it was a little big. Had a hard time selling it on the forum for £1200.00 from memory. Wonder what a 1984 watch with papers would be worth now..........

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    After watching some reviews, I’m losing interest in these. Just seem to be your average plastic swatch, but with Omega branding.

Couldn’t agree more

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    ... Like a skoda is a volkswagen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etf3yMznKN4

The more I see of these, the less I like the plastic look. The only reason I can see to buy one is if they ever stop producing, it would be good to own one as a curiosity. I can't imagine wanting to wear one.

They are not plastic. Handle a really
    Plastic watch and one of these and the difference is noted immediately

They may well handle differently but they do look like plastic, nothing like a real ceramic watch.

Omega x Swatch

Well these are in the shop windows and available!

Proper plastic quartz watches for €690 euros!

Mrs Gyp wants a Mission to Uranus, and I will do my best to oblige when they become widely available

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Mrs Gyp wants a Mission to Uranus, and I will do my best to oblige when they become widely available
    Is that a euphemism?! My wife likes the same model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by barty9 View Post
    Is that a euphemism?! My wife likes the same model.
    It's both a euphemism and a fact. Having looked at them all online, she picked out that one, completely oblivious of the name and hence the fact that I was going to snigger like a schoolboy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Amen to that
    Nobody knows when

Master
    A friend is on holiday in New York and sent me a picture of the swatch store.. immediately asked him to go and check stock and of course, bugger all available. Ho hum.

What strap is that? Looks good on there.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115114729...Cclp%3A2563228

I think there may be other sellers on the "site"

I think there may be other sellers on the "site"
    Thanks. Bit of a bargain too!

More update, a cut down (thin wrists bless her) rubber deployment for wife's Earth and a better pic of the re-stapped Pluto

Master
    The Swatch team talk about the project here: https://coolhunting.com/design/swatc...collaboration/

One of the things that comes out of it is that bio-ceramic is a sustainable material. That should be obvious as the plastic element is derived from seeds and not a chemical plant, but this point has been rather lost in the noise. That’s a big plus, as at least these disposable watches are greener than they may seem.

Those Maurice Lacroix ones pictured earlier are playing a similar game with up-cycled ‘ocean bound plastic’ mixed with fibreglass. A category of watches that are about new materials and sustainability, and not just price and exclusivity, seems like it can only be a positive development and an interesting alternative.

Did they have a delivery

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The Swatch team talk about the project here: https://coolhunting.com/design/swatc...collaboration/

One of the things that comes out of it is that bio-ceramic is a sustainable material. That should be obvious as the plastic element is derived from seeds and not a chemical plant, but this point has been rather lost in the noise. That’s a big plus, as at least these disposable watches are greener than they may seem.

Those Maurice Lacroix ones pictured earlier are playing a similar game with up-cycled ‘ocean bound plastic’ mixed with fibreglass. A category of watches that are about new materials and sustainability, and not just price and exclusivity, seems like it can only be a positive development and an interesting alternative.
    Swatches are not disposable. You can easily take apart each swatch. It’s a myth that they are disposable

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Surely it's all just witless greenwashing, designed to appeal to the latest mindless fads.

If you want real "sustainability" in the longer term, metal (and mechanical, as it happens!) is surely it.

Materials like so-called bio-ceramics, despite the well meaning intent of a very few, are far less about genuine long term sustainability and far more about generating sales to the impressionable on the basis of "greenness" or "sustainability". ("Sustainability being the latest fad-word to replace "green"). Don't be fooled. The truth of it is inane rubbish.

Unless a plastic is bio-degradable (and I don't want a bio-degradable watch!) then, regardless of what it is made of or how it is made, it is not significantly or meaningfully or genuinely greener or more "sustainable" than any other kind of plastic.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 9th April 2022 at 15:31.

Master
    I think there are some automatic models with non-serviceable movements and these at least are for all intents and purposes disposable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I think there are some automatic models with non-serviceable movements and these at least are for all intents and purposes disposable.
    And I understand that these Moonswatches are sealed units whose maintenance is limited to battery changing. This means that it will be necessary to destroy the case to gain access to change the movement or carry out any work on it beyond battery changing.

That is not genuinely "sustainable" in my view, no matter what the plastic is made of. This is why I say it is all about greenwashing and marketing. It's just ultimately a throw away item that has nice warm snugly feeling fad-words related to it that appeal to a certain demographic so that hey don't think how wasteful its manufacture and ultimate fate will almost certainly be.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    And I understand that these Moonswatches are sealed units whose maintenance is limited to battery changing. This means that it will be necessary to destroy the case to gain access to change the movement or carry out any work on it beyond battery changing.

That is not genuinely "sustainable" in my view, no matter what the plastic is made of. This is why I say it is all about greenwashing and marketing. It's just ultimately a throw away item that has nice warm snugly feeling fad-words related to it that appeal to a certain demographic so that hey don't think how wasteful its manufacture and ultimate fate will almost certainly be.
    Lol. All swatches come apart you don’t destroy anything lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    Lol. All swatches come apart you don’t destroy anything lol
    (a) I was referring to the Moonswatches specifically. Are they openable without damaging the case, do you know?

(b) Who told you that about "all swatches"? The whole point of Swatches was originally that they were sealed, cheap, effectively disposable units. I have a Swatch and, rest assured, it is sealed (apart from the battery hatch). The movement is inaccessible without causing damage to the case.

(a) I was referring to the Moonswatches specifically. Are they openable without damaging the case, do you know?

(b) Who told you that about "all swatches"? The whole point of Swatches was originally that they were sealed, cheap, effectively disposable units. I have a Swatch and, rest assured, it is sealed (apart from the battery hatch). The movement is inaccessible without causing damage to the case.
    You remove the crown-stem and everything then starts coming apart. Rest assured it opens fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    You remove the crown-stem and everything then starts coming apart. Rest assured it opens fine.
    How would that happen on a single piece plastic unit? There is nothing to come apart.

How would that happen on a single piece plastic unit? There is nothing to come apart.
    https://youtu.be/3a96xQfanN0

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Interesting. Does that work for "all Swatches"?

Well, no, it doesn't. It definitely does not work on mine. The crown won't come out, no matter what.

As I say, the original point of them was that they were a sealed, unmaintainable unit. No front access, no access at all (apart from battery).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 9th April 2022 at 16:09.

Master
    Surely it's all just witless greenwashing, designed to appeal to the latest mindless fads.

If you want real "sustainability" in the longer term, metal (and mechanical, as it happens!) is surely it.

Materials like so-called bio-ceramics, despite the well meaning intent of a very few, are far less about genuine long term sustainability and far more about generating sales to the impressionable on the basis of "greenness" or "sustainability". ("Sustainability being the latest fad-word to replace "green"). Don't be fooled. The truth of it is inane rubbish.

Unless a plastic is bio-degradable (and I don't want a bio-degradable watch!) then, regardless of what it is made of or how it is made, it is not significantly or meaningfully or genuinely greener or more "sustainable" than any other kind of plastic.
    Actually no, I disagree with that. It does make a difference if you use plastic which is biodegradable (which bioceramics are) and made from plants, or alternatively from reclaimed plastic in the case of the Maurice Lacroix. The alternative is plastics made from fresh hydrocarbons (ie oil from an oil well), which are not biodegradable. I wouldn’t call that ‘witless greenwashing’, that’s too cynical. It is worth trying to explore new materials with lower carbon impacts, and thankfully the world of watches is always interested in new materials. Though I would agree with you that there’s a lot to be said for a long lasting metal watch which is designed to be repaired.

Blog Entries
    Pluto was declassified as a planet a long time ago. It’s a shame omega didn’t get that right.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG