closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I think the prices will remain inflated for as long as they’re only available in store.
    Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    I think you're right, I'll end up getting one .. if I can order online and get one delivered to my door, at RRP :)
    I’ve heard from 2 separate sources over the weekend that the MoonSwatch won’t be available online until the end of August or about 6 months from the “non-limited release” last month. Swatch might have had issues with the manufacture, possibly related to the dye transfer to skin or unexpected demand, but who knows?

In the meantime I think that Swatch need to expand the number of stores to which the MoonSwatch is being released, i.e. all ADs and not just the “selected stores”. The current situation of drip feeding small quantities to a limited number of stores mainly seems to be lining the pockets of the scalpers and flippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    I’ve heard from 2 separate sources over the weekend that the MoonSwatch won’t be available online until the end of August or about 6 months from the “non-limited release” last month. Swatch might have had issues with the manufacture, possibly related to the dye transfer to skin or unexpected demand, but who knows?

In the meantime I think that Swatch need to expand the number of stores to which the MoonSwatch is being released, i.e. all ADs and not just the “selected stores”. The current situation of drip feeding small quantities to a limited number of stores mainly seems to be lining the pockets of the scalpers and flippers.
    I've sort of forgotten about these. I would still probably buy one if it became available soon, but in August..? I suspect I won't be the only one to have moved on from the excitement of a Swatch/Omega collab by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I've sort of forgotten about these. I would still probably buy one if it became available soon, but in August..? I suspect I won't be the only one to have moved on from the excitement of a Swatch/Omega collab by that point.
    I agree but Swatch have backed themselves into a corner over this. Assuming that they had manufactured enough stock, I think it’s highly likely that the scalpers would use their bots to purchase all of the stock and crash the Swatch website within seconds of the watches becoming available online. To me it feels like the situation with the PS5, Yeezy trainers etc. That’s why I think Swatch need to flood the market using bricks and mortar stores to bring the market value of the MoonSwatch down to RRP before releasing them online. Hopefully then the scalpers would no longer be interested because there would be little, if any money to be made in flipping them.

I should point out that the separate sources to which I referred are not necessarily reliable, i.e. somebody knows someone who works for Swatch or someone who asked in store. Many such sources have indicated online release dates that have come and gone without success. However, these particular “ I read it on the internet so it must be true” predictions seem more realistic to me.

I'm guessing it may not survive NASA testing…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

I wouldn't fancy a regular Hesalite's chances much in the same circumstance! Poor box design.

When Swatch released their Sistem 51, I bought one out of excitement and my jacket cuff scratched the crystal the first time out.. not a terrible scratch, but it was noticeable. I was of course super careful etc (as with any watch). It looks like not much has changed in materials.. though doubt I am put off enough from buying one when it will be available online or without a crazy queue!

Excellent effort on the avatar there, GTuned

With all the obvious availability of graphically talented individuals on here, I've often wondered why I haven't seen this done previously.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I don’t know why anyone would buy one of these ridiculous watches. They are terrible.
    I didn't see that coming

Journeyman
    Interesting to see that these are being sold in quite big quantities on Stockx, the sneaker platform. Gives a clue as to who is queuing! Less popular models like Jupiter for around £400, then Neptune around £1000. Surprisingly Earth can be had for nearer £400 and that is one of the nicer ones imo

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    With all the obvious availability of graphically talented individuals on here, I've often wondered why I haven't seen this done previously.
    Maybe you’re not very observant…

😉

Master
    I went to one of the stores in London at around 11am, very quiet, and no swatch omegas to buy. The sales assistant did say that they had received some earlier. I was only in there for a couple of minutes, but in that time, 3 or 4 others also asked the same question.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I went to one of the stores in London at around 11am, very quiet, and no swatch omegas to buy. The sales assistant did say that they had received some earlier. I was only in there for a couple of minutes, but in that time, 3 or 4 others also asked the same question.
    If they'd received some did they say why they weren't selling?

Master
    They had all been sold out by the time I go there. I was probably there closer to 11:30. He said they got deliveries periodically. He was not overly helpful. I assume he has had to answer the same question lots of times before.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Holy smokes, and then there were three! :) I'd totally forgotten about this as no one has ever previously commented about it.. going back almost 9 years now!

The current situation on Oxford street
    Scalpers gona scalp!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GTuned View Post
    Holy smokes, and then there were three! :) I'd totally forgotten about this as no one has ever previously commented about it.. going back almost 9 years now!
    I wondered what the hell you were on about until I logged on to the website - Tapatalk is no help here !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    Interesting to see that these are being sold in quite big quantities on Stockx, the sneaker platform. Gives a clue as to who is queuing! Less popular models like Jupiter for around £400, then Neptune around £1000. Surprisingly Earth can be had for nearer £400 and that is one of the nicer ones imo
    You'd have to presume supply will soon overwhelm demand. Chrono24 has 800 Moonswatches for sale with one as low as £400. That suggests to me that people aren't prepared to buy these watches, and it won't be long until the guys buying these will realise theyre sat on stock they can't shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The current situation on Oxford street
    Scalpers gona scalp!
    So, does anyone buying one of these automatically qualify as a scalper?

I just wonder how you can tell - Bloke in a suit, young lad in the Easter holidays with a parent, maybe they just rather fancy one of these watches at RRP?

Presumably my 'scalpdar' isn't as honed as most...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master

Colour coming off

Was in my Omega & Rolex AD with my wife, buying her a bracelet for her birthday, i.e. not trying to buy a MoonSwatch. However, during the purchase, I asked the salesman about the hype and he said they were glad the watch was 'boutique only', because Swatch Southampton had told them to be ready for unhappy customers with colourful wrists (and not only blue). The official line, apparently, is that the colour will wash off and eventually stop coming off the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    So, does anyone buying one of these automatically qualify as a scalper?
    Yes!….

Of course not, the queue was rather hectic, towards the front, people were trying to push in the shop. They had placed barriers to direct the queue but people were ignoring it. It was a bit like a feeding frenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yes!….

Of course not, the queue was rather hectic, towards the front, people were trying to push in the shop. They had placed barriers to direct the queue but people were ignoring it. It was a bit like a feeding frenzy.
    The mania goes on then.

Swatch group must love this.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    the colour will wash off and eventually stop coming off the watch.
    Will the whole thing have dissolved by then? The Swatch secret weapon against scalpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

Master
    Really wish they would get these a bit more widely available.. it’s starting to get a bit tedious now!! Had hoped to pick one up but didn’t think this mania would be dragging on still. It’s made me hugely lose interest.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Really wish they would get these a bit more widely available.. it’s starting to get a bit tedious now!! Had hoped to pick one up but didn’t think this mania would be dragging on still. It’s made me hugely lose interest.
    Such is life these days - instant gratification or move on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Such is life these days - instant gratification or move on.
    It’s not the requirement for instant gratification… I am a Speedmaster fan of many years and think they are a fun idea but it’s just the complete lack of any useful communication from Swatch about what is actually happening beyond this trickle of stock into their stores. If they could at least give people some idea of when online ordering would finally happen….

I wonder whether they are trying to solve the running colour problem, before ramping up into mass manufacture?

Journeyman
    I made the mistake of queuing up at Oxford Street and buying a Mission to Mars.
    Never been so disappointed with a watch, the hands were misaligned and it felt like a toy watch, wasn't worth the £207 in my opinion even with Omega stamped on it.

I ended up returning it for a refund.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Never been so disappointed with a watch, the hands were misaligned and it felt like a toy watch, wasn't worth the £207 in my opinion even with Omega stamped on it.

🤔

It is what it is, a plastic watch with a plastic crystal and a cheap quartz movement. I think the only mistake you made was to return it rather than make a little for your troubles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    It is what it is, a plastic watch with a plastic crystal and a cheap quartz movement. I think the only mistake you made was to return it rather than make a little for your troubles.
    I couldn’t agree more. For me the only attraction is as an intriguing side story to the overall Moonwatch legend. I’ll still get one when they are readily available but doubt if I’ll ever wear it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Given the pushing in intimidation and vile behaviour I witnessed by some people in the Oxford Street queue I didn't want to join the scalper crew!
    I would have put it on sales corner here for list if I had access, given my current post rate that might be in 2032.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    I'll wait a year and get a barely used one for half price. No instant gratification here.
    I very much doubt this will be the case.

My opinion is that there will still be enough demand for them to stay around retail or maybe a little less, except the ones that look like they’ve been in a washing machine

I would have put it on sales corner here for list if I had access, given my current post rate that might be in 2032.
    Made me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I couldn’t agree more. For me the only attraction is as an intriguing side story to the overall Moonwatch legend. I’ll still get one when they are readily available but doubt if I’ll ever wear it.
    I will no doubt pick one up for retail or discounted when they are freely available, just dont understand the idiots who are paying above the retail price for a bit of plastic lol. Leave em to it I say.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    except the ones that look like they’ve been in a washing machine
    Wonder whether they’ll get this sorted, as surely it’s not acceptable, even at £200.

Master
    I had a look today at the Oxford street swatch store, they had on display. Sales guy said they will have 50-100 in tomorrow morning. A few scalpers giving dodgy fist pumps to doormen and other sales people. After this, and looking at the display models, it does look kinda crap and I wouldn’t even spend £200 on one just for the fun of it.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    If Swatch are still selling them online as promised @ £207 in a years time a used one will have to be somewhat cheaper. If they discontinue them before then I'll have to go without.
    The point I am making is that they are seen as desirable and that usually keeps prices decent.

I can’t see them being £100 used (as you suggested in your initial comment) unless they have significant wear and tear…

YMMV of course!

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I had a look today at the Oxford street swatch store, they had on display. Sales guy said they will have 50-100 in tomorrow morning. A few scalpers giving dodgy fist pumps to doormen and other sales people. After this, and looking at the display models, it does look kinda crap and I wouldn’t even spend £200 on one just for the fun of it.
    Your observation about potential scalpers tallies with many reports I’ve read from all over the world. It suggests Swatch staff collusion and/or corruption in the supply of these watches to the scalpers. No wonder people have been complaining loudly on social media about not being able to obtain the MoonSwatch at RRP.

definitely pick one at retail , the set would be fun to own

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

The madness continues.

Oxford Street 15 mins ago.

M

Wow! Look at all those "watch enthusiasts"

I still think it is ‘Mission accomplished’ by Swatch.
    Most people buying probably aren’t watch enthusiasts, so they are pulling in new customers.
    Have they taken a leaf from Rolex’s book, and increasing interest, demand, and values, by deliberately restricting supply?
    Albeit at a lower price point, which is much more achievable to most.

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Go_Getter View Post
    The madness continues.

Oxford Street 15 mins ago.

M
    No masks or social distancing. Hmmmmm....

Master
    I'd hazard a guess it is the same people queuing each time.

Almost 1,000 for sale on Chrono24, and now approx 60 under £500 - market will soften on these.

One or two of them look like their teacher sent them.

Wonder how long the queue takes? Must be a good few hours?
    If the queue in the coffee shop is more than two people, I go somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    It's April 2022, just so you know...

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    One or two of them look like their teacher sent them.
    Have you noticed how young policemen are these days, too?

Quote Originally Posted by cregan View Post
    I still think it is ‘Mission accomplished’ by Swatch.
    Most people buying probably aren’t watch enthusiasts, so they are pulling in new customers.
    Have they taken a leaf from Rolex’s book, and increasing interest, demand, and values, by deliberately restricting supply?
    Albeit at a lower price point, which is much more achievable to most.
    No, no, no, no - You can tell just by looking that all those people are 'scalpers' (probably taking a few hours out from their drug dealing and stolen goods handing normal business)...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 27th April 2022 at 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Trying to work out whether this was a joke or not.