closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1652

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Has this thread had a haircut? Was there not an email response from the Oxford Street store detailed or did I read that somewhere else?
    Wrong Swatch thread.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?513430

[^ Beaten to it]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Oxford St, 8.15am
    I wonder how many Swatch store managers have made a tidy packet selling Moonswatches out the back door, cash in hand. You'd be mad not to!

Last edited by J J Carter; 8th July 2022 at 18:43.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Barbour/Belstaff jacket in either XS or XXXL. MX-5 key ring, tactical manbag (containing a Faberge egg, 3 pairs of sunglasses, part used fragrance plus some second hand shoes and a Mont Blanc pen)

Likely to be wearing either jeans from Primark or £350 obscure Japanese selvedge denim that creaks like a Victorian staircase and haven’t been washed. Ever. And a pair of Church’s.
    I’ve just soiled myself

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I’ve just soiled myself
    No problem, just bang them on SC (as long as they are an unusual size).

Don't worry, this will only continue until the mugs willing to pay over the odds have got their's.

No, I don't want one.

Still laughing at "creaks like a Victorian staircase"! Thanks for that.

Grand Master
    Barbour/Belstaff jacket in either XS or XXXL. MX-5 key ring, tactical manbag (containing a Faberge egg, 3 pairs of sunglasses, part used fragrance plus some second hand shoes and a Mont Blanc pen)

Likely to be wearing either jeans from Primark or £350 obscure Japanese selvedge denim that creaks like a Victorian staircase and haven’t been washed. Ever. And a pair of Church’s.
    Don’t forget the obligatory beard

Well as a gateway drug the Moonswatch has worked

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...sion-goes-wild

Hmm. Can't imagine he'd say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Hmm. Can't imagine he'd say otherwise.
    “Hayek said sales of all Speedmaster models have “risen by double digits,” since the MoonSwatch debuted.”

So they’ve sold, what, 12 more?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Well as a gateway drug the Moonswatch has worked
    I agree, because I’m one of those people that finally got round to buying a speedy (on Sales Corner though). It was always a watch to have in the collection, but somehow never got round to it. I figured I’d want to own the “real thing” if I ever got the Swatch ones as I’d always feel it was missing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    No problem, just bang them on SC (as long as they are an unusual size).
    32x32, no chance of them flogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    32x32, no chance of them flogging.
    Ah, both way too narrow and way too long for SC. 42x26 the average?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    For me if you buy something from eBay and there's nothing wrong with it. I.e. don't bond with it. You have to just sell it on. Although eBay will allow you to return it I doesn't make it right. Especially with something you have worn.
    Yep, agree with that

Blog Entries
    Went into a Jaguar dealership yesterday and the salesperson was wearing the Moon version. He said he'd bought two with his partner in Switzerland recently in a boutique where they'd just had a delivery. He let me have a look at it but it seems like a really tacky and cheap-feeling item and instantly distinguishable from the real thing. Can't see the attraction at all (except for dealers, obviously ££££).

Craftsman
    Was waiting for a coffee at a cafe in Cannes this morning and 3 American guys were all proudly posing with their new Moon Swatches. I asked, and apparently there was a Swatch store a short walk away, but not to bother going as there was a long queue. Not that I would buy one anyway! Madness.

They really have captured the imagination. They must be patting the marketing department on the back. Bonuses all round!

Master
    If indeed these have been the success that has been claimed, I wonder what other brands are willing to sacrifice themselves in the pursuit of more profit…

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    ...He let me have a look at it but it seems like a really tacky and cheap-feeling item and instantly distinguishable from the real thing....
    I'm pretty sure no-one is expecting a plastic Swatch Moonswatch to be hard to tell from an Omega Speedmaster, so that's hardly relevant.

It's a cheap watch, but the Omega tie-in makes it (for many) something other than a basic Swatch.

Clearly (from this thread and the general furor) the interest level remains very high, generally...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    People are free to disagree with me but - anyone chasing these watches seems to be suffering from the same issue.
    I’m not getting the appeal from watch enthusiasts at all………..

Look like they were made from melted-down lego bricks, and god forbid you comment on one on someone’s wrist - I think you’d get a 30min story…………..

(Reckon you’d get the same if a Rolex was a ‘birth year’ watch……………….. sharp exit left)

I’ve owned a few speedmasters over the years and none lasted more than a few weeks before getting flipped for some reason - and this was back when they cost a fraction of what they command now. The Moonswatch however is the type of thing I usually like - I found the original a bit sterile somehow, and don’t ever use a chrono so that’s also a reason the speedies never stuck, but a few hundred quid on a colourful quartz crossover initially interested me - then I saw them and my initial interest waned. I think most look naff and the colours just don’t work. The straps look like they’re been made from recycled anoraks and the whole thing reeks of a cheap cash-grab by a company that I thought knew better. Bought a Tissot PRX quartz instead which is easy to get below rrp and actually looks like a quality watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A shot for fans of quartz Speedmasters

Craftsman
    From an initial interest in these as a fun watch, I now would not even want to go near one.
    Much more fun to be had with a G-Shock, bollocks to this caper.

Plastic crap, only saving grace is it looks (a bit) like a Speedmaster Moonwatch.

The thing that puts me off the most about the MoonSwatch is the crystal. The amount of videos on YouTube where the crystal is trashed on brand new watches is staggering. I know you can polish it, but daily? Seems if you look at it the wrong way the damn thing scratches!

A couple of Bloomberg headlines this morning....

MoonSwatch Craze Boosts Swatch Prospects Despite Profit Lag (1) BN 07:52
    Swatch 1H Operating Profit Misses Estimates BFW 06:09
    *SWATCH 1H SALES AT CONSTANT FX +7.4%, EST. +8.14% BN 06:09
    07/14/2022 07:52:47[BN]*
    Swatch said it racked up double-digit sales growth during the period in all
    Subscribe to Earnings News on Your Security List
    major markets outside China, including Europe, the US and Middle East with
    Asian markets outside China also growing.
    MoonSwatch Craze Boosts Swatch Prospects Despite Profit Lag (1)
    Swatch sticks to guidance of double-digit sales growth
    The company said sales in retail stores, including high-end brands such as
    Company recorded sales loss of CHF400 million on China
    Breguet and Harry Winston, as well as Omega and Swatch brands drove the
    increase.
    By Andy Hoffman and Peter Vercoe
    “Excellent start to the year for Swatch Group despite significant headwinds in
    China,” Vontobel analyst Jean-Philippe Bertschy said in a note to clients. “The
    (Bloomberg) --*
    overall profitability performance is reassuring,” he added.
    They are clearly shifting a fair few of these MoonSwatch variants even without them being available on line. Swatch defiantly know their market.

Master
    Incredibly prices for these seem to be creeping back up on the reseller market.. what the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    ... Swatch defiantly know their market.
    Well that's Swatch Group, Swatch watches, not so much, having changed their story several times about matters like release-timing and availability of the 'Moonswatch', as well as withdrawing at least one model due to technical issues. Pre-Moonswatch, they were struggling in most markets as it's the cheaper end of watch manufacture that's been hit hardest by the switch to smartwatches.

Craftsman
    Craziness continues…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-or-blancpain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Great news if you own a proper Speedmaster then presumably prices for these will be going up nicely to keep with demand.

Whichever way one tries to spin, discredit it, dismiss it as a cheap plastic watch the indubitable fact remains that this is a roaring success for the Swatch brand and group. Some are unduly bothered by it but the fact remains that it has achieved what even Swatch group must not have imagined. Sure there have been issues with color bleeding or distribution problems or having to change distribution strategy but the fact remains that demand still remains high whatever the snobs/wannabe snobs say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Whichever way one tries to spin, discredit it, dismiss it as a cheap plastic watch the indubitable fact remains that this is a roaring success for the Swatch brand and group. Some are unduly bothered by it but the fact remains that it has achieved what even Swatch group must not have imagined. Sure there have been issues with color bleeding or distribution problems or having to change distribution strategy but the fact remains that demand still remains high whatever the snobs/wannabe snobs say.
    Couldn’t agree more. Also, whether this watch continues to be supplied and everyone who wants one gets one, or whether production stops tomorrow, it’s hard to argue that it’s presence has not changed the way a lot of people think about our hobby and how much they want to be part of it.

Whether you like it or not, it may have had more impact as a single watch than anything else ever has.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Good post

Most of the people in this forum are not it’s market.

Those of us that are interested continue to be so….

Whatever keeps the younger generations interested in watches is welcome, IMO. I think these watches do that to some degree, especially when mobile phones can tell you what time it is. I’d rather see my kids excited about a cheap speedmaster lookalike than no watch at all … or an Apple Watch.

I just got one today

Craftsman
    I’m in London tomorrow and might call by on the off chance, is there any point? Which store is best? Is Carnaby street the one not selling them?

Hey don’t knock Church’s, had mine 28 years and never worn out. The most fabulous handmade shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    I’m in London tomorrow and might call by on the off chance, is there any point? Which store is best? Is Carnaby street the one not selling them?
    I was in Edinburgh 3 weeks ago and couldn’t get one my wife got this from the Frankfurt when I was at the Sinn Factory

Master
    Carnaby Street is the shop not selling.

I swung by the Covent Garden shop on the way home from a conference at about 1830. None available, of course. The shoplass said that they weren't doing queueing, and my best bet was to pop in on the offchance there had been a delivery. Not going to happen!

On StockX, Jupiters, Plutos, Earths and Saturns are plentiful, and prices seem to hover around the £300 mark. I've put in a bid on both the gas giant versions, see what comes up. I simply can't see myself being at the shop at the right time at all.

If I really don't like it, I can stick it back on eBay, and hopefully make back at least most of what I've paid!

What's inside the Omega MoonSwatch
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y79z2MBGaL0&t=1042s

He goes on a bit but you'll figure it out.

Blog Entries
    It seems it's not just Moonswatches...

https://www.g-central.com/bamford-la...-shock-london/
    The launch event for the Bamford x G-Shock DW-6900BWD-1 at the G-Shock London Store on Carnaby Store was shut down by the police, according to WatchPro. A large queue formed around the block before the opening, and although there were no reports of trouble, the police were called and the store was closed due to safety concerns. (Update: According to social media, some customers were able to buy the watch before the closing.) The closure is reminiscent of the MoonSwatch launch in March, in which the Swatch store on Carnaby was also forced to close due to large crowds.

George Bamford was at the event and stated, “I am so, so sad that the police shut down the G-Shock store. I am absolutely shocked and I couldn’t believe the queue. Today was getting out of control and I got a very small glimpse of how quite a few trainer stores feel when they drop a new pair of trainers … I am sad for the true collectors and I was very lucky to see a lot of them in the queue. I took some selfies with a few of them and the atmosphere was amazing.”

Journeyman
    Looks like a bog standard gshock. Whats the big deal abt this?

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    Say 'Bamford' on it.

Totally nuts.

Blog Entries
    Most G-Shock special editions look like standard G-Shocks but they still sell manically well. And Bamford is Bamford. It really is the Swatch-Omega tie up of G-Shocks.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Most G-Shock special editions look like standard G-Shocks but they still sell manically well. And Bamford is Bamford. It really is the Swatch-Omega tie up of G-Shocks.
    thought it might have something else that differentiated it apart from the graphic.....crazy

Blog Entries
    thought it might have something else that differentiated it apart from the graphic.....crazy
    Yup, it is crazy.

I must work out how to get one.

Master
    Spotted my first fake MoonSwatch on the Bay of Evil:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185505309561

Missing the grave accent over the first E in TACHMETRE, and the crown looks decidely rough, too.

Reported and I did tell the seller.

When I saw Bamford I automatically thought of JCB, so it was lost on me.

I picked up a Bamford GShock online when the orders opened. It's arrived today and it's really quite nice, nothing crazy, but some nice design touches and splashes of colour.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Spotted my first fake MoonSwatch on the Bay of Evil:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185505309561

Missing the grave accent over the first E in TACHMETRE, and the crown looks decidely rough, too.

Reported and I did tell the seller.
    I had worried that the fakes might be better quality than the real deal!

But the real case and crown are much sharper at the edges, and the bioceramic has a more matt finish.

I like the Mercury one and will buy as long as I don't have to queue for it. So maybe I will never get one which I think would be a shame as I like the look a lot (post strap replacement of course - velcro straps are for kids and nasa employees only in my book)

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk