closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Omega x Swatch

Leaked images of brightly coloured, plastic cased, quartz Speedmasters...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/com...ve_leaked_out/

Hmm.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Images of most of them: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...dictions/page2

Like it myself, especially at CHF250

The dark blue and grey ones are quite attractive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    They look nice but you can only buy them through swatches own shops and I think there are only 3 in the uk and these will be sold out as soon as they open then on eBay for 1.5k the day after

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Will be very interesting to see how available these become, or whether Swatch holds the back artificially and they end up going on eBay for the price of a real moonwatch.

The full set at €250 each.

Which is good when you consider that the strap looks very similar to the new Omega black, white or silver moon watch Velcro strap which is priced at around £160 on its own!

Only from these stores in UK

If anyone is going to a store and is able to get me one in black, grey or blue I would be eternally grateful and copious amount of your chosen tipple will be winging its way to your house. I think it's an inspired idea and certainly would enable me and others like me who love the Speedmaster but could never afford or justify the expense of buying one, to own one. If I were able to get to any of the stores I most certainly would.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    If anyone is going to a store and is able to get me one in black, grey or blue I would be eternally grateful and copious amount of your chosen tipple will be winging its way to your house. I think it's an inspired idea and certainly would enable me and others like me who love the Speedmaster but could never afford or justify the expense of buying one, to own one. If I were able to get to any of the stores I most certainly would.
    Just wait until they're on general release? These are going to be mass produced given the materials and price point. Save your generous booze sheckels!

I think these might well be a total game changer.
    They cover colour options from really quite sober to hilariously loud and most places in between.
    Man sized but with femenine colours too, there are options to cover all sexes, orientations and degrees of ostentation.
    They are cheap enough to compete with even the most economic of microbrands, but have Omega and all that Speedie heritage right there in the case design and all over the dial.
    Even the pathetic 30m WR doesn't really put me off too much.
    Wow. Just wow. I never saw that coming, I thought any such collab (as hinted) would be at least double that price, if not more.
    There will be queues out the door at the few UK ADs that can sell these at the start.
    The Mercury (grey) would be my choice.

I'm going to have a go at getting one, but I have the sinking feeling it's going to be a wasted trip.

An Omega branded quartz Speedmaster Moonwatch for €250?! I had to check it wasn't April 1st, never in a million years would I have expected this!

It's hard to understand the logic of this from a brand positioning point of view for Omega, especially in todays watch market of ever inflated prices for selected "in" brands.

Omega / Swatch will never be able to satisfy the demand for these and sadly the market will likely be flooded with fakes very soon. Fair play to them though for throwing a complete curve ball!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I'm going to have a go at getting one, but I have the sinking feeling it's going to be a wasted trip.
    I thought about it for a second then realised that at the end of the day, this is a plastic swatch that otherwise I'd have no interest in at all. Yes, £200 is adult 'pocket money' but it's still £200 that could be spent on far better things! I feel as if it's a purchase like those mini retro consoles...great idea at the time, fun for all of about 5 minutes. In reality am I ever going to want to wear a plastic swatch over and above my real Speedmaster or my apple watch? No. So then the only two reasons left to buy one is as a collector or a scalper. I don't collect stuff and I think people who buy purely to scalp are pretty mean-spirited tightwads. So that's me out!

Craftsman
    Going to try to get one of these for my son. He's only three right now but I'll keep it for him until he's older. If he doesn't want it at that time then I'll wear it myself and it can share the watch box with my Speedmaster. By then of course humankind might have been back on the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I thought about it for a second then realised that at the end of the day, this is a plastic swatch that otherwise I'd have no interest in at all. Yes, £200 is adult 'pocket money' but it's still £200 that could be spent on far better things! I feel as if it's a purchase like those mini retro consoles...great idea at the time, fun for all of about 5 minutes. In reality am I ever going to want to wear a plastic swatch over and above my real Speedmaster or my apple watch? No. So then the only two reasons left to buy one is as a collector or a scalper. I don't collect stuff and I think people who buy purely to scalp are pretty mean-spirited tightwads. So that's me out!
    Pretty much sums up my feelings.

The hype machine is on overdrive here, but as often is the case in the watch world, you have to try and look past that for real perspective.

Master
    Ditto for me.

I think I would like any of them, except the pink!

I will see if I can make a trip to London on Monday, but may be none left!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I have had a similar train of thought. The initial idea of a cheap quartz Speedy was most beguiling. But I have a real one.

I've had Swatches long ago and they're fun but ultimately disposable, fashion watches. So on balance, if I was going to spend £250 or thereabouts, I'd go for a GW-5000 upgraded model before a Swatch Speedy. It's likely to be much better built, last longer and have more functions.

But the Swatch Speedies do look to be great fun and are attractive. I fully understand the excitement.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Reading the different responses to this is interesting. I'm a space geek and a watch geek and I think it's great. A whole new generation of children (and adults) will soon get to see Artemis on the moon. These "moonswatches" might just get them interested in watches too. And don't we all love watches on here? More people wearing watches means our hobby will live on. I'm struggling to see a downside.

Haha, I'd assumed they'd be a limited run. I don't know what made me think that.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Just wait until they're on general release? These are going to be mass produced given the materials and price point. Save your generous booze sheckels!

This is reminding me of the buzz around the release of the Timex Q reissue. List price was about £159 but people were paying hundreds of pounds (sometimes several hundreds of pounds) on ebay for them. Not long after they were readily available at retail and you can still often see them in sales online for around a ton.
    Buy one of these collaborations by all means, they look fun, cool, and don't cost the moon ;). But don't be taken in by the limited availability hype and pay over the odds.

Sensible advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    This is reminding me of the buzz around the release of the Timex Q reissue. List price was about £159 but people were paying hundreds of pounds (sometimes several hundreds of pounds) on ebay for them. Not long after they were readily available at retail and you can still often see them in sales online for around a ton.
    Buy one of these collaborations by all means, they look fun, cool, and don't cost the moon ;). But don't be taken in by the limited availability hype and pay over the odds.

I might be tempted to the 'Alaska Project' one.

Otherwise, an interesting idea, but not really for me.

The idea of rushing up to London to buy one on Saturday hasn't really made me any keener! I wonder if this will be a short-term thing and they'll be more widely available in due course.

I wonder how well the 'Mission to Uranus' will sell? Maybe a niche market?

I do expect, though, to see these for vastly inflated prices on eBay next week!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 24th March 2022 at 10:45.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Haha! Reminds me of when a friend of mine's ten year old son came home from school and told her that he'd told a girl in his class that there'll be one less planet in orbit tomorrow. When the girl asked why he said "Cos later I'm gonna smash Uranus".

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I might be tempted to the 'Alaska Project' one.

Otherwise, an interesting idea, but not really for me.

The idea of rushing up to London to buy one on Saturday hasn't really made me any keener! I wonder if this will be a short-term thing and they'll be more widely available in due course.

I wonder how well the 'Mission to Uranus' will sell? Maybe a niche market?

I do expect, though, to see these for vastly inflated prices on eBay next week!

M

Haha, I'd assumed they'd be a limited run. I don't know what made me think that.
    I think it's exactly what they want everyone to think - I did too, until someone pointed out that it's a Swatch. And plastic. And cheap. Not a chance these will not be sold online after this initial (extremely successful) hype drive.

Grand Master
    What an insult to Speedmasters worldwide
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Why don't they sell some through Omega dealers, then loyal Omega customers might stand a chance instead of them being snapped up by the scalpers in town.

Any bets on how soon one appears on Sales Corner?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Trying to work out the corporate reasoning behind this move. Initially I thought this was long term play by the Swatch Group to target the youth market in order to generate an interest for when they can afford the real thing. Now I wonder whether it is more of a short term move to reinvigorate the Swatch brand.

Anyone know how Swatch was doing prior to this announcement? I know Swatch Group were hit by the pandemic but I don't know whether the Swatch brand needed some kind of revival. I wonder if the Swatch Group is using the Omega brand to reinvigorate Swatch.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why don't they sell some through Omega dealers, then loyal Omega customers might stand a chance instead of them being snapped up by the scalpers in town.

I'd have thought any that appear on SC are the result of people realising the watch brings only 5 minutes of interest before being put in a drawer. I think any instant scalpers will just use eBay.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I think it's exactly what they want everyone to think - I did too, until someone pointed out that it's a Swatch. And plastic. And cheap. Not a chance these will not be sold online after this initial (extremely successful) hype drive.
    The fact that all of the watch pages have the ability to 'add to basket' but that option is not selectable yet may also suggest that they'll enable that option in the near future, once they've got people queuing around the block for a 'limited' launch.

Grand Master
    Can just hear all the weasels now planning a trip to London at weekend
    RIAC

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Can just hear all the weasels now planning a trip to London at weekend
    And digging out their fake moustaches so that they can circumvent the max-2-per-person policy! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    And digging out their fake moustaches so that they can circumvent the max-2-per-person policy! lol
    3 London stores all close to each other so that's 6 watches

Master
    I think these look great!

Luckily I have a friend in London who said she's happy to drop by and pick one up for me if the queue's not ridiculous.

All this knicker wetting seems vaguely sad.

The madness has started…
    Just search moon swatch on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    All this knicker wetting seems vaguely sad.
    Oh, come on. It's £200 and you don't have to provide your virgin daughter for ritual sacrifice.

It's not even comparable to the kind of 'excitement' over JAFR...

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    The madness has started…
    Just search moon swatch on eBay
    Ha ha - I think there's a fair amount of plonker-pulling going on there!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    If your quick one can be picked up now on eBay at bids over £30,100 …..wtf!

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post

It's hard to understand the logic of this from a brand positioning point of view for Omega, especially in todays watch market of ever inflated prices for selected "in" brands.

It must be telling you something about Swatch and/or Omega. Perhaps those inflated prices are not all they appear.

Grand Master

Hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Stegeorgy View Post
    If your quick one can be picked up now on eBay at bids over £30,100 …..wtf!
    £60k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-X-S...edirect=mobile

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Apparently they are selling some through Omega dealers.

maseman

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Apparently they are selling some through Omega dealers.

maseman
    Source for this?

Journeyman
    swatch offical saying theyll be available at a later date online but the date is unconfirmed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Source for this?

Ah, my bad reading !! Some Omega stores will display them but not sell them.
    According to GQ.

"They will be displayed in the windows of 70 Omega stores and 110 Swatch stores around the world on March 24 and March 25 and they will be available to purchase from Swatch stores only from March 26. Each watch retails at £207 (250 euros) and it will only be possible to purchase a maximum of two at a time."

maseman

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Ah, my bad reading !! Some Omega stores will display them but not sell them.
    According to GQ.

"They will be displayed in the windows of 70 Omega stores and 110 Swatch stores around the world on March 24 and March 25 and they will be available to purchase from Swatch stores only from March 26. Each watch retails at £207 (250 euros) and it will only be possible to purchase a maximum of two at a time."

maseman
    Fair enough, was just curious because everything I have read so far said they are limited to select Swatch outlets, Omega Boutiques stocking them would be rather handy. Shame but I can understand it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    To be fair it is a Tiffany blue....

Quote Originally Posted by gregbuc View Post
    Reading the different responses to this is interesting. I'm a space geek and a watch geek and I think it's great. A whole new generation of children (and adults) will soon get to see Artemis on the moon. These "moonswatches" might just get them interested in watches too. And don't we all love watches on here? More people wearing watches means our hobby will live on. I'm struggling to see a downside.
    I think that's a great take on the situation

This is first and foremost a Swatch, just one with an Omega tie-up. Seems like the perfect "gateway drug" to some expensive purchases later in comfortable middle-age for the youth of today.

I just don't understand people decrying it for being "plastic" and "disposable", at the price what else would you make it from that is as versatile?

It's a minor ballache that it's not serviceable beyond a battery change, but then again my 1978 Seiko has never been serviced, and 44 years later it still keeps near-perfect time, so...

Refreshing interest in what's become an almost played-out (and certainly overpriced) cliché of a watch seems like a genius move, never mind the fact that it's got the likes of us talking about Swatch - so far as I can recall that's the first time in the 4 years since I joined.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    To be fair it is a Tiffany blue....

At that price it is indeed mission to your anus.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    At that price it is indeed mission to your anus.
    Ha ha ha ha!

Master
    Am I missing something how come all these scumbags already have these on eBay when they don’t even go on sale till Saturday