closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1652

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Needs white hardware to really complete the look ^. I wonder if anyone does a white on red NATO?
    https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/websto...+strap+21.5mm/
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Thank you

No, as in red strap, white hardware.

I've got the opposite on a Timex NASA thingy:

https://www.dmarge.com/wp-content/up...timex-nasa.jpg

Blog Entries
    Ah gotcha. That red hardware on white looks pretty cool.

Isn't a Pagani Speedie homage a better buy? Serious qestion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Isn't a Pagani Speedie homage a better buy? Serious qestion.
    In terms of value for money almost certainly yes.

But it's not all about value of money, is it. ;-)

Master
    Swatch CEO - "See, queues at our Swatch boutiques aren't so bad!"

Mourners told to STOP queuing for the Queen: Fury as government CLOSES 5-mile queue for six hours

There is a full set of these for sale in Greys Antique Market just off Oxford street, 200 yards from the swatch shop
    Make of that what you will.

(On more a interesting horological note (to me at least) there is a Milsub for sale in Burlington arcade, it has a Burford dial and civi insert though, so if anyone is in the market do your research first. There is also an issued SM as well).

Blog Entries
    Mine arrived from StockX yesterday.

I managed to pick up a Mars and a Uranus for my daughter from the World Trade Centre store last week.

They also had a Jupiter, Earth, Pluto and Mercury on the counter but I missed the Mercury as it went to the second guy in the modest line of 5.

I strongly disliked the way the supplied velcro strap wore so I have just mounted the Mars on a Hirsch Andy which gives it a surprisingly different look. Couple of pics.

I think they look cool……………

In a kind of Timmy Mallet/Christopher Biggins way - coloured spectacle frames…….

(and that phase where men wore red braces)

They are a bit of fun and can be dressed up to look half decent but catch them in the wrong lighting and they look like a £20 toy!

Amazing the prices they were going for initially

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    They are a bit of fun and can be dressed up to look half decent but catch them in the wrong lighting and they look like a £20 toy!

Amazing the prices they were going for initially
    Saw one on the tube this week and it really did look like a child’s toy.

Give it a year and they'll be discarded like last year's must-have Christmas present.

If they stay working that is...

I am still in the "bah humbug" camp with these.

Symptomatic of a lot that is wrong with society.
    Hype for poor-quality mass-produced goods causing inflated prices, like celebrity culture inflating the worth of value-less "stars".

The appallingly cheap throw-away nature of these is camoflaged by the application of a brand that should have been allowed to keep its dignity.
    Watches and horology should (imho) be all about quality (even at the value end of the market).
    No-one will ever lovingly handle one of these, wistfully remembering how their parent wore it through thick and thin.
    An exercise in pointless consumption

I am in the ha bumhug camp too, but that's where I spend most of my life!!

Anyone tried a Speedmaster style bracelet on the Moon Swatch in particular? Just wondering how close it would look to the Omega real deal.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    Anyone tried a Speedmaster style bracelet on the Moon Swatch in particular? Just wondering how close it would look to the Omega real deal.....
    If the bracelet was metal it’d jar greatly. The swatch looks like plastic out of a Christmas cracker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

Hype for poor-quality mass-produced goods causing inflated prices, like celebrity culture inflating the worth of value-less "stars".

The appallingly cheap throw-away nature of these is camoflaged by the application of a brand that should have been allowed to keep its dignity.
    Watches and horology should (imho) be all about quality (even at the value end of the market).
    No-one will ever lovingly handle one of these, wistfully remembering how their parent wore it through thick and thin.
    Most luxury watches are mass produced of course, so that’s a bit of a moot point. I still have my 1983 Swatch from the very first collection sold to the UK market that was my first watch as a young boy. I wore it all the way through to my late 20’s, and it’s still ticking. They’re not serviceable it’s true, but the battery is replaceable, so they’re not exactly throw away. Whether my daughter handles it less lovingly when that time comes than the far more valuable watches I’ve owned for far less time, I couldn’t say. I think we’ll look back on these MoonSwatches as being worthy of a chapter in their own right in the history of post quartz-crisis watchmaking, so while they’re undeniably divisive - and let’s not mention Hayek’s handling of their sale - I find it rather hard to dislike them in themselves.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 24th September 2022 at 20:34.

Couldn't agree more.

To be honest I'm amazed at all the kerfuffle about them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

A good point well made.

A bit of fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, it was reminder to the general public that watches still exist.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    I've been checking out some of the eBay auctions and I'm detecting, mission to the moon aside, the scalping bubble is starting to burst.

A mission to mars (aka Alaska project) just went for £285 with free postage. So £5 postage, £36 fees (assuming you didn't wait for a promo) leaves £37 "profit".

If you've got f*ck all else to do it's maybe worth an hour of your time, but it's no longer the pay day it once was. Mission to the moon is still up at £500 but the others seem to be in £280 - £350 range (based on auctions with bids)

So I'm thinking we're getting close to the day when you could rock up and get any one you want, bar the moon one.

Or you pay £40-£50 over RRP to get one - that's not that bad tbh.
    My theory was confirmed when my mate messaged from Swatch Glasgow to say they had yellow, pink and red left at 15:45 on Saturday. So i promptly sent him back into to get me a Mission to Mars.

TBH it's exactly what I thought it would be, it's a LOT lighter than the genuine moonwatch but it looks the business. I really wanted Mars as I've always liked the alaska but could never afford one. Also as i'm lucky enough to have a genuine moonwatch i wanted a different colour.

To be it's a great jeans watch and I'm loving it so far. Wouldn't pay £300 plus but at £207 i think it's a great buy. Even the white strap is growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    My theory was confirmed when my mate messaged from Swatch Glasgow to say they had yellow, pink and red left at 15:45 on Saturday. So i promptly sent him back into to get me a Mission to Mars.

TBH it's exactly what I thought it would be, it's a LOT lighter than the genuine moonwatch but it looks the business. I really wanted Mars as I've always liked the alaska but could never afford one. Also as i'm lucky enough to have a genuine moonwatch i wanted a different colour.

To be it's a great jeans watch and I'm loving it so far. Wouldn't pay £300 plus but at £207 i think it's a great buy. Even the white strap is growing on me.
    Just had a gander on EBay, first BIN seller I looked at, located near Glasgow, has 12 for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Just had a gander on EBay, first BIN seller I looked at, located near Glasgow, has 12 for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Glasgow store is quite new so possibly not as in demand for scalpers.

Either way I think it's good for genuine customers if it's now no longer impossible to walk into a store on spec and find one

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’ll definitely buy one of the variations once the hype has died down as don’t want to pay over RRP.

Craftsman
    I see the RRP has now gone up, £218 now, and €260 in Spain, I was going to have a look for one while I’m in BCN next week but if scalper prices don’t rise and the week pound it’ll be cheaper on eBay

Master
    There’s a new mission to mars local to me for £268

Master
    Still have mine. Got it as a present at retail price. I still think it is a watch that falls well below expectations

I was in NY on Sunday and popped into the Times Square store. They had Earth and Saturn in stock when I was in. I passed on them though. Might have bought a mercury if they had it but not interested in the others.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Still have mine. Got it as a present at retail price. I still think it is a watch that falls well below expectations

Just out of curiosity, what were your expectations, and how were they not met?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what were your expectations, and how were they not met?
    It is advertised as bio ceramic. So I expected the feeling of something similar to ceramic. Instead it feels no different than any other swatch that can be had for half the price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    It is advertised as bio ceramic. So I expected the feeling of something similar to ceramic. Instead it feels no different than any other swatch that can be had for half the price.

Fair enough.

I'd had a bioceramic Swatch before, so knew what to expect.

Craftsman
    just been in the Swatch store in Barcelona, well it’s a concession in the large department store but they had the Tiffany and 2 others, no queues no fuss, the Tiffany looks a bit girly to me, the other 2 they had not my thing, if they had a Mars I would have tried one on, but not interested in buying any other just for the sake of it, but this hopefully indicates that stock is hitting stores and isn’t instantly flying out the door.

I was in Brighton yesterday (supposed to be diving, but the wind put paid to that), so wandered around The Lanes for a while.

Plenty of Rolex, Patek, Omega and a few Zeniths, but one shop had a couple of Moonswatches amongst the quality stuff.

Prices seemed pretty hopeful (£595 if you can't see it in the image), but not bad value compared to the car parking in Brighton!

I'd not been to Brighton for many years, but most of the reasons for not doing so seemed even more applicable than before!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Still enjoying this, didn't get on with the standard strap at all but this one from wrist buddies is lovely.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    im heading into Central London on Saturday and thought I might have a quick look. Anyone got recent experience at the London stores. Don't want to waste my time if they wont have any to sell or look at.

I was fan of these when they came out. But having seen the red one in the plastic recently, it just looks a bit plasticky and cheap. Not a fan anymore.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    I was fan of these when they came out. But having seen the red one in the plastic recently, it just looks a bit plasticky and cheap. Not a fan anymore.
    It’s not just the red one , they all seem cheap and tacky in the hand

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I was in Brighton yesterday (supposed to be diving, but the wind put paid to that), so wandered around The Lanes for a while.

Plenty of Rolex, Patek, Omega and a few Zeniths, but one shop had a couple of Moonswatches amongst the quality stuff.

Prices seemed pretty hopeful (£595 if you can't see it in the image), but not bad value compared to the car parking in Brighton!

I'd not been to Brighton for many years, but most of the reasons for not doing so seemed even more applicable than before!

M
    Lol all the good stuff there.. and yes price seems dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    im heading into Central London on Saturday and thought I might have a quick look. Anyone got recent experience at the London stores. Don't want to waste my time if they wont have any to sell or look at.
    I was in Oxford St on Wednesday afternoon and the Swatch shop had a delivery of Jupiter and Earth. Delivery schedules are random from what the assistant said.
    My son was looking for a Uranus for his wife so no sale to us!!
    They had the whole range to look at.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I was in Oxford St on Wednesday afternoon and the Swatch shop had a delivery of Jupiter and Earth. Delivery schedules are random from what the assistant said.
    Great thanks, sounds like it's worth a look then

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Great thanks, sounds like it's worth a look then

Pop around the corner to Greys Antiques Market
    The fella on the ground floor had the whole collection for sale a couple of weeks ago.

Master
    My girls went for me last weekend but none in stock

My son and daughter in law were at the Oxford St shop again today and no stock at all

Wow what luck, I've been there a few times and they didn't even have anything to try on let alone buy. I guess it's just luck if the draw who happens to show up first after a delivery

Master
    I went yesterday but didn't get to see anything. The queue outside was 20+ people and didn't move for the 5 mins I waited. I didn't have time to wait long so I abandoned.
    There was a group of guys outside all with swatch bags so I'm assuming the shop had some to sell.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    There seems to be a huge amount of the bright colours that have hit the shops. The Mars, Sun, Earth, Uranus and Venus are all over EBAY at £250-300…..

I was tempted to get a Sun but haven’t yet…..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    There seems to be a huge amount of the bright colours that have hit the shops. The Mars, Sun, Earth, Uranus and Venus are all over EBAY at £250-300…..

I was tempted to get a Sun but haven’t yet…..
    I wasn't sure about the Sun, but took the plunge when one came up at a reasonable price on eBay. I actually sold Jupiter and Mars, and kept it.

Master
    Funnily enough I picked up a Jupiter from the NY store yesterday. They had a handful of other colours in stock but this was my fave of the bunch so jumped at the chance. The strap will be changed the second I get home though!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk