closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega x Swatch

Master
    They’ve said on there socials that due to demand they are limiting them to one per customer, carnage are the stores at the weekend

Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriend is just at Swatch in San Fransisco. They had 180 units and all sold instantly on Saturday. They are expecting another delivery in 2 - 3 weeks. Models were display only and couldn't be handled. Pics in my Instagram if anyone's interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Random Rob on YouTube has posted a video showing the same blue colour transfer, suggesting it is from the battery hatch sticker.
    He later did some simple swab testing with a Q-tip, and it seems to be coming from the case, not the sticker…

You've heard of blued hands, now you can have a blued wrist.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Random Rob on YouTube has posted a video showing the same blue colour transfer, suggesting it is from the battery hatch sticker.
    It's from the case material as opposed to the battery sticker. Presumably it'll go away after a bit of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Hopefully no one puts it on a waffle strap

Too much bio not enough ceramic

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    They’ve said on there socials that due to demand they are limiting them to one per customer, carnage are the stores at the weekend
    It was actually reduced to one per customer last Friday, before the actual release on Saturday!

Blog Entries
    Apparently these are freely available in China.

I have a friend working in China - and many of the stores are in cities under lock down - which means they have stock.

I've asked if she can get one... will update if she's successful.

z

Master
    Too much bio not enough ceramic
    I didn’t read closely enough. So the case is plastic, is it??! If so, I’m definitely out.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I didn’t read closely enough. So the case is plastic, is it??! If so, I’m definitely out.
    It's a combination of ZrO2 and polymer (I think derived from castor bean oil)....so technically there is ceramic (ie a material neither metallic or organic) in there mixed in with a polymer agent. Zirconium oxide is the same ceramic material as the Dark Side of the Moon except to produce DSOM cases, the pure ZrO2 pellets are heated in a furnace rather than mixed with a plastic agent. I've not handled one but I expect it to feel like a hard plastic rather than the ceramic from high end ceramic cased watches. I don't think it will feel as soft as some of the other Swatch cases. Property wise, probably more brittle but harder than a pure plastic.

I think the use of it by Swatch is purely marketing though...especially the bio- bit to appeal to those who think of plastic as the evil to the sea. Swatch faced a big problem when this became a hot topic and I think this was their strategy.
    Last edited by Christian; 29th March 2022 at 12:11.

Have they been given silly names yet to give them some gravitas? The blue one could be The Smurf.
    F.T.F.A.

Was it a case of one delivery on Saturday, then wait for an unspecified date for further deliveries?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Have they been given silly names yet to give them some gravitas? The blue one could be The Smurf.
    Uranus = ?

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Uranus = ?
    Maybe a 'mission to Uranus' is a harder sell !?

Craftsman
    If I was cynical I would say that most coloured plastics have a proportion of filler to give the colour and Swatch have found a marketing way to turn that into “ceramic”

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    If I was cynical I would say that most coloured plastics have a proportion of filler to give the colour and Swatch have found a marketing way to turn that into “ceramic”

Dave
    Yup, pure marketing/brand image. I think it was just pre-pandemic where plastic was the big environmental evil polluting the sea and the issue everyone was talking about. Pretty sure that was when Swatch decided to bring in "bio-ceramic" in some of their other watches to limit the damage being associated with plastic. Also suits a purpose here so that it seems the watches aren't just seen as plastic toys.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Uranus = ?
    The Cerulean Starfish?
    The Jade Towel Holder?
    The Lazuline Gary?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post

Dave
    No - science meets horology meets branding. Bioceramics is a class of materials that is used for repairing or replacing damaged bone tissues. Depending on the application, bioceramics can directly interact with the surrounding tissue, either supporting tissue growth or inducing new tissue regeneration for bioactive ceramics. of course Google is our friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    No - science meets horology meets branding. Bioceramics is a class of materials that is used for repairing or replacing damaged bone tissues. Depending on the application, bioceramics can directly interact with the surrounding tissue, either supporting tissue growth or inducing new tissue regeneration for bioactive ceramics. of course Google is our friend.
    That certainly isn’t Swatch bioceramic.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    I’m not a materials expert but I assume the term bioceramics covers a wide variety of materials made from combining biologically sourced material and a ceramic and is used in different contexts.

Swatch uses the term to describe their mix of ceramic material (zirconium oxide) and a bio-sourced plastic (a derivative of castor oil) and is wildly different from whatever is used in medical terminology where I reckon the biological material is actually specifically in there to allow compatibility with the body.
    Last edited by Christian; 29th March 2022 at 14:12.

Given its propensity to spray ink, maybe the Octopus?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Given its propensity to spray ink, maybe the Octopus?

M
    If The Sun variant leaks, it has to be called The Golden Shower

Popped into my local store as I passed by this afternoon. No queue.

Only two models available today. Sun and Venus. Probably the least popular versions. They expect deliveries daily, but don’t know in advance which models.

Won’t take long for the hype to die down.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    If The Sun variant leaks, it has to be called The Golden Shower
    what about the brown one?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Popped into my local store as I passed by this afternoon. No queue.

Only two models available today. Sun and Venus. Probably the least popular versions. They expect deliveries daily, but don’t know in advance which models.

Won’t take long for the hype to die down.
    What shop was that

Lausanne

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Did you speak to anyone at the Swatch shop? Did they mention any expected ETA for new stock?
    Well Swatch group do own ETA, so . . .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    It's a combination of ZrO2 and polymer (I think derived from castor bean oil)....so technically there is ceramic (ie a material neither metallic or organic) in there mixed in with a polymer agent. Zirconium oxide is the same ceramic material as the Dark Side of the Moon except to produce DSOM cases, the pure ZrO2 pellets are heated in a furnace rather than mixed with a plastic agent. I've not handled one but I expect it to feel like a hard plastic rather than the ceramic from high end ceramic cased watches. I don't think it will feel as soft as some of the other Swatch cases. Property wise, probably more brittle but harder than a pure plastic.

I think the use of it by Swatch is purely marketing though...especially the bio- bit to appeal to those who think of plastic as the evil to the sea. Swatch faced a big problem when this became a hot topic and I think this was their strategy.
    Interesting!

Probably won’t bother now even if they do become available at list. If they were available to see and handle in “the provinces” might be persuaded to have a look as the Speedmaster dial is the best chronograph dial for my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Well Swatch group do own ETA, so . . .
    Groan...
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Or the moon, the Earth, Mars, oh wait…
    There was a queue of 5 on Oxford street yesterday, no watches for sale but you could queue to have a look at the big box with them all in.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 30th March 2022 at 08:57.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    There was a queue of 5 on Oxford street yesterday, no watches for sale but you could queue to have a look at the big box with the all in.

Probably queueing to take a photo, they can say they have an NFT of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    There was a queue of 5 on Oxford street yesterday, no watches for sale but you could queue to have a look at the big box with them all in.
    People love a queue...you could just walk down the street and see them with no queue in the Omega boutique window.

Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    Probably queueing to take a photo, they can say they have an NFT of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Not exactly, but it looks like one, and it carries the Omega branding, and it’s from the same company that own Omega so that’s all that matters. Nobody’s buying a £200 watch expecting it to be the same quality of a £5k moonwatch, I can’t see what you don’t understand.

I think they priced it bang on, nearer a grand and people would think they’re getting a proper watch, £200 they’re under no illusion it’s anything other than a Swatch, and I want one, and so do my kids.
    But people queueing for hours and risking life and limb racing to get a Swatch...I mean, I'm delighted that there were so many massive watch fans amongst us all this time, but for 200 euros you can get some really interesting watches on eBay or whatever.

Spoke a lass in Edinburgh today. They had 200 and sold then all on Saturday. She didn't know when they would be back in but said if they arrived while they were open then they'd hold them until the next day. I asked if they'd be promoting it on socials and she said to watch the store window. If the display case with all 12 is in the window they have stock....

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post

Brilliant!

I noticed these are all sold out but they are being advertised on eBay for £5k.. i assume trying to pretend they are Speedmaster …

Slipped down to the Oxford St branch to take a look. Rather nice, no queue, no watches. Covent Garden and Carnaby St shops, 50 or so souls in each queue, so stock. Came away confirmed that I don't need one just yet but if they were in stock and no wait, I might have had a go.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if it was like this from the start as I didn’t check.

But on swatch.com it looks like they are getting ready to sell on the site? Has the section to where you add to basket but its out of stock

So might be online soon?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post

But on swatch.com it looks like they are getting ready to sell on the site? Has the section to where you add to basket but its out of stock

So might be online soon?
    It was like that from the launch :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post

So might be online soon?
    Yep, was told in store that they will be selling online soon.

Has the furore died down yet? Have the ebay watches for ridiculous sums been bid up with false bids and the people hoping to make a fast killing been left with a pretty worthless watch?

Those who sold them in a Buy It Now on the Saturday night did alright, probably made enough to buy a real Speedmaster! But they were few and far between, I watched a couple that were bought on instant buys at around the £4500 - £5000 mark, so presumably on a Buy It Now they actually sold and were paid for. I don't know the inner dealings of ebay, so there might be a catch that I don't know about. Ebay isn't something I use other than to peruse and gauge prices from.

Omega x Swatch

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    What a bunch of idiots, fighting over a watch that they can just buy online in a couple of weeks anyway. Its a cheap Swatch and by all the online photos not a very well made one either.

I was thinking of picking a couple up for the kids as a bit of a fun watch but I am starting to lose interest now, I would rather not be associated with these lot trying to fight their way into a shop for a plastic watch.

If it carries on like this I can see more than a few people turn their backs on these.
    I’m not sure everyone can buy a couple for their kids and talk about what’s still a £200 watch with such disdain. I don’t see it as any different from the likes of Rolex, just because it’s down a few price tiers there’s no need to be snobby about it!!

Last edited by RobDad; 1st April 2022 at 18:50.

Craftsman
    After watching some reviews, I’m losing interest in these. Just seem to be your average plastic swatch, but with Omega branding.

Has anyone actually bought one?

Journeyman
    For those with an FT subscription there is an opinion piece about this watch with analysis from a business/marketing perspective.

https://www.ft.com/content/37deb2c5-...6-67a0ad0f0deb