closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines Zulu

Whilst I love the look - especially the green variant, its 42mm (and I expect pretty long lug length from the picture) so I'd probably still pick the Tudor GMT over this.

Nice website design though from Longines.

Looks like I'm still waiting for a 40mm/sub-40mm GMT!
    Last edited by Christian; 23rd March 2022 at 12:09.

Very TH Autavia, which is a handsome watch. A shame it’s 42mm and has the catflap date window.

Love it!

The "Harrods":

Sure is pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The stars... why??

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Nice website design though from Longines.
    Absolutely gorgeous work!

Craftsman
    So close to being perfect but it'll be too big I fear.
    Looking forward to the inevitable 39 / 40mm though.

Longines are on a roll with their heritage designs at the moment. Wish IWC would take note.

As for Harrods, why? By no means the first green bezel on a watch. Universal Geneve did it at least 50years before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    As for Harrods, why? By no means the first green bezel on a watch. Universal Geneve did it at least 50years before.
    Why what? Why have a green variant? Why not? What's UG got to do with anything?

I called it Harrods because of the Tudor and I thought most people would know what I was talking about. If you want me to use it's real name, it's the L3.812.4.63.6.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    The stars... why??
    It has been part of the brand since at least the '60's, with their Admiral line.

So close to being perfect but it'll be too big I fear.
    Looking forward to the inevitable 39 / 40mm though.
    I'm not holding my breath. I think that would need significant costs sunk into the movement re-design - something that both Tudor/Rolex and Swatch seem unwilling to do for a smaller GMT.

Craftsman
    If you want me to use it's real name, it's the L3.812.4.63.6.
    Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

I'll echo the praise for the website, absolutely wonderful stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    It has been part of the brand since at least the '60's, with their Admiral line.
    Stars are tacky. Unless you're Zenith and you just have one. Branding moves on, the stars looks awful.

Craftsman
    Why what? Why have a green variant? Why not? What's UG got to do with anything?
    Eh? I was asking the previous poster why mention Harrods as if it was the first watch with a green bezel.

Every new release seems to be met with some comparison to recent popular watches as though it's copying something. I was merely noting that it's been done many times before, long ago.

Some are definitely jumping on a bandwagon but let's not pretend brands haven't been iterating on each others designs since the business began.

That is a lovely looking watch, really great functionality too. I see that the bezel tirangle is lumed (good, shame the numbers aren't), and I see the bezel clocks, but no idea how many times (please be 120).
    I will want to have a good look at those, especially the blue

Craftsman
    I'm not holding my breath. I think that would need significant costs sunk into the movement re-design - something that both Tudor/Rolex and Swatch seem unwilling to do for a smaller GMT.
    Hadn't considered the movement size being the limiting factor here. That'd be a shame.

Hadn't considered the movement size being the limiting factor here. That'd be a shame.
    I'm still hoping Tudor surprise us on 30 March though! There is a lot of demand for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    That is a lovely looking watch, really great functionality too. I see that the bezel tirangle is lumed (good, shame the numbers aren't), and I see the bezel clocks, but no idea how many times (please be 120).
    I will want to have a good look at those, especially the blue
    Isn't a 120 click bezel a backwards step in terms of functionality on a GMT bezel though, as you only ever need to move it by 24-hour scale increments? I kind of always thought a 120-click bezel was these days a compromise for microbrands who use standard diver bezel with a 24-hour inlay when producing their GMT watches.

120 is the only click number that allows you to also use the zero as a minute timer as well as a gmt timer. Nothing lower is divisible by 60 and 24

Very nice, and the website is its own creation.

Dial Color: Matte black; anthracite grey; sunray blue
    My colour vision is a little impaired, is the one with gilt accents really grey or is it what people here in the thread refer to as green? (Looks kinda brownish or indeed greenish to me but that may as well be the effect of the gilt).

L2L seems to be 48-odd:

As most here I'd prefer 40 or thereabouts in dia.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    My colour vision is a little impaired, is the one with gilt accents really grey or is it what people here in the thread refer to as green? (Looks kinda brownish or indeed greenish to me but that may as well be the effect of the gilt).
    It's a dark grey, and the bezel is a dark green.

It's a dark grey, and the bezel is a dark green.
    Thanks!

Dark grey and gilt dial with the leather strap for me. And yep, the website is incredibly clever - takes you on a nice little journey

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Posted elsewhere, but I love the green/gilt, just too big for me I think.

Craftsman
    Looking at the position of the date window (well inboard, to the point that it looks slightly odd to me) I was thinking that a smaller case would certainly be possible. I'm also in the "shame it's 42mm" camp. So close to being a cracker!

Love this. I have the Longines Spirit and really rate it. Shame their values drop like a stone but no doubt it will be a quality watch.

I’m going to stick out and say I don’t like it. Too much going on and whoever said it looked like a TAG autavia was absolutely right. To me this is a less attractive watch than the three handed, fixed bezel models.

That’s just my opinion though, power to those who like them.

Really like this, most especially the 'Harrods' colourway. I found the Spirit 3-handers pleasant but bland, this adds visual interest and practical usefulness, and I think Longines deserve to do well with it.

Master
    Liking it. Some interesting design features, such as the indices. The numerals are very 1940s, which I am also fond of.
    For a GMT it's unusually elegant, which fits with Longines' profile and stying.

The blue on a bracelet is a stunner. I like the brand and it’s history as well.

Journeyman
    Bit of a fan of these. Not what I wanted to see whilst I'm trying to save money.

Another one for the list.
    I like the Blue one. Very nice.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Even though the size is likely to deter me, I'll definitely try one on as I'm not averse to putting up with a larger watch if it's something I really want. I do like the shiny ceramic bezel in the videos I've seen...looks very smart. I'd be really interested to see how this measures up compared to the Tudor BB BMT. It looks a more shapely case.

Master
    The stars... why??
    Historic link.

Same as a 5 star hotel I suppose...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Very TH Autavia, which is a handsome watch. A shame it’s 42mm and has the catflap date window.
    Better IMO than the usual cut off 3 though!!

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Better IMO than the usual cut off 3 though!!
    Better still, no date.

Better still, no date.
    Out of interest, can you think of a GMT without a date? Whilst I guess not entirely necessary, I see the date as part of the functionality, otherwise I'd just sticking to a three hander.

Too many numbers for my liking. Thankfully I saved a fortune and bought a Spirit with a date in the right place. Swatch/Omega already ruined the
    SMP300m for me, and now this new release too.
    It's just a matter of time...

I like the colour scheme… although one will probably need massive wrists for something like that @ 42mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Out of interest, can you think of a GMT without a date? Whilst I guess not entirely necessary, I see the date as part of the functionality, otherwise I'd just sticking to a three hander.
    Reverso duoface, but that’s at a push…

While everyone has been dribbling in their knickers for the Happy Meal Moonwatch, Longines have come out of nowhere and nailed it with this. Possibly a touch big for the slender crowd, but a true gmt for £2.4k is not to be sniffed at.

*Googles Tag Autavia*

Ah, yes, well, when you put it like that.
    However it’s a handsome watch IMO.

To be fair, I think it’s hard to tell the autavia gmt and this watch apart, at a glance. However, if you like the look, this is nearly a grand cheaper than the TAG and a true traveller GMT to boot.

I still don’t like it though.

Tried this one on today as I would really like to add a GMT to the collection and I’m a big fan of Longines.

Positives: it’s shaped case design means that the thickness is hidden so it sits well on the wrist…ie it doesn’t feel like a block of steel like the Tudor GMT. Quite comfortable to wear.

Not so positive: the lugs are long, overhang long on a small wrist…so whilst I’m not averse to wearing a 42mm watch like a SMP or Tudor GMT, the lugs overhanging put me off on this one. This is probably the deal breaker.

Wasnt really a fan of the anthracite dial on the green bezel watch I tried…from the wrong angle it felt like wearing a mirror. Only tried the sunburst blue and anthracite green and I disliked both dials. If I were going back for a second try, I’d be seeking out matt black which obviously limits you to the black bezel.

So close, but I think it's a miss for me. Oh well, at least Longines set the bar in web-design for this release!

Will wait patiently until someone releases a smaller cased GMT. The ideal size is probably the older pre-maxi cased Rolex sizes.

To think...back in about 2008 I sold my GMT-Master II for less than the price of this Longines!

Bezel was 24-click.

Last edited by Christian; 27th March 2022 at 18:34.

Master
    I might try this on and decide which one to go as I'm looking at Tudor BB GMT

I saw a couple in a display window this week. Alongside other models they looked oversized. Slightly shorter lugs, and in 40mm would make them a winner.

I saw a couple in a display window this week. Alongside other models they looked oversized. Slightly shorter lugs, and in 40mm would make them a winner.
    True of the entire line. I’ve been on the lookout for the 37mm 3-handers , hoping they’ll wear better than the 40

Agree...slightly too large, but right on the cusp of getting away with it for me. I'm on a couple of lists for Tudor BB Pro. If these don't come through in the next couple of months, I might end up looking at the Longines again. It is more polished than the Tudor, particularly with that ceramic bezel, which I quite like these days as I only wear a watch on smarter occasions when going into the office.

Its the lug length that Longines screw up on in my opinion. I happily wear a modern Speedy Mk2 which is a huge chunk of metal...but the 46mm lug-to-lug makes it very wearable. This Zulu and watches like the Skin Diver are ruined by 50mm or thereabouts lugs!
    Last edited by Christian; 22nd May 2022 at 10:00.