closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pretty rare Citizen

Pretty rare Citizen

Here is a pretty rare piece the Citizen Promaster PMP56-2941. I have been looking for a decent one for quite a while but you only ever see them in Japan.

They were only issued in Japan in 2007 and were quite expensive at that time at about 125,000 Yen. They were very well constructed, using the best quality hardening treatment Citizen had at that time titanium Duratect MRK, which is a gas hardening process as well as the usual Duratect process.

The first thing that strikes you about the watch is the black perforated bezel. I don’t think Citizen have ever repeated this on another watch and I find it a very attractive feature. It has an AR coated sapphire crystal and it has Citizens one button ‘trick’ clasp allowing adjustment on the fly. The case sides have a contrasting ridged black structure, contrasting against the satin titanium case with polished bevelled edges.The bracelet is a full titanium high quality affair, again with highly polished highlights to lift its appearance.

The dial has a blue tone and just adds a bit of interest over a plain black one. Though Citizen did do a black dialled example of this with red highlights and silver bezel.

The watch features a chronograph, alarm, solar and dual time and is also atomic but only in Japan. I have an app on my phone which emulates the Japanese signal and so can use that rather than adjusting the time manually, it operates quite quickly. It is 200m water resistant. The lume is unusual for Citizen in that it has the usual Citizen blue lume on the dial but uses green for the hands.

Here are a few wrist shots.

Mitch

Master
    Always enjoy reading your posts about unearthing discontinued Citizens and Seikos. This latest one looks pretty substantial on the wrist, though likely not too heavy.

Agreed, it’s always good to read about something I have never seen before.
    That’s quite a spec, is it all operated by the crown (bar chrono) or is it a combination of crown and pushers?

Master
    Never seen one of those before - that perforated bezel is kinda cool!

I'm not sure what the purpose of the perforated bezel is?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Congrats on picking one up! Thanks for the info, never saw a perforated bezel before I think.

Another great post from you, always interesting watches and informative text. A big thankyou from me.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Always enjoy reading your posts about unearthing discontinued Citizens and Seikos. This latest one looks pretty substantial on the wrist, though likely not too heavy.
    Cheers!

The watch is 44 mm (46 to the crown) wide, 50 mm lug to lug and 13 mm thick.

It is 110g sized to my wrist.

Mitch

Nice watch, the Japanese market has seen some really interesting releases over the years, nice to see them on here from time to time.

Always enjoy reading your posts about unearthing discontinued Citizens and Seikos
    I agree, and those wild Casios too

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It seems to have been marketed as a biker's watch, perhaps it is reminiscent of a tyre?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    It seems to have been marketed as a biker's watch, perhaps it is reminiscent of a tyre?
    Brake disc?

Grand Master
    How about just styling & absolutely no other reason/purpose or attachment to anything whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    How about just styling & absolutely no other reason/purpose or attachment to anything whatsoever.
    Yeah that's a very fair point, I guess I'm a little bit old fashioned and used to expecting watches with chrono functions having a working bezel of some sort.

I think it is just aesthetics. Same with the black ridging on the sides of the case.

The design ethics do hit it off for me and that is why I have been on the lookout for one for quite some time. It is unusual, not seen it on any other watch I have come across, something again that appeals to me. Does it serve a functional purpose? No but not all design is purely about function.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Agreed, it’s always good to read about something I have never seen before.
    That’s quite a spec, is it all operated by the crown (bar chrono) or is it a combination of crown and pushers?
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Never seen one of those before - that perforated bezel is kinda cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Congrats on picking one up! Thanks for the info, never saw a perforated bezel before I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Another great post from you, always interesting watches and informative text. A big thankyou from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Nice watch, the Japanese market has seen some really interesting releases over the years, nice to see them on here from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I agree, and those wild Casios too

Cheers.

I do like to post about stuff that isn't often seen on here.

Nice that some appreciate the posts, they do take quite a bit of time to do.

Mitch

Always have a soft spot for citizen watches ... the japanese happy to keep the best ones to themselves , got to import the nice ones ..

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Good work and thanks for putting this together - I agree it takes time to put reviews like this together. Unusual piece. Well done! Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

If anyone is NL based, there's one listed on Marktplaats in Amsterdam.
    https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1815237402

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

It makes it easier to allow water into and under the bezel, speeding the oxydation process.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    It makes it easier to allow water into and under the bezel, speeding the oxydation process.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    If anyone is NL based, there's one listed on Marktplaats in Amsterdam.
    https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1815237402

TZ-UK mobile app

That is not the Japan model PMP56-2941, it is the European model AS4065-54L.

The module is different, that one will only sync to the German signal, the bracelet and clasp are different. The AS4065 does not get a push button adjust on the wrist. The caseback is different, it says titanium but does not say Duratect so I am not sure if Citizen used their hardening process on the watch.

The watch is rare in itself, I think only one thousand were made.

Mitch

I think that's a really lovely looking watch nice catch wear it in very good health