closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sending watches over 2.5k

Craftsman

Sending watches over 2.5k

How do you guys send out watches that are over 2500 RMSD limit...

I just send them RMSD and take the risk. I don't bother with the insurance.

Thousands of watches have been sent by TZers to each other over the years and I've never read of any not arriving.

Master
    RMSD. I know some have used securus in the past (me included) and (I believe) you are covered if you follow their instructions UNLESS it’s for a private sale. So good for services etc which could be a work around!

Several threads on this, this being one quite recent helpful example:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?522408

I would read the thread with care and make sure you're comfortable with the T&Cs of whichever option you choose. Suggestions seemed to be: [1] F2F; [2] Mailboxes Etc (MBE); [3] Shipinforsure; [4] Overlandexpress. Or, as above, take the risk and self-insure.

Sending watches over 2.5k

If it is a shade over, say up to £3k, I take the chance, and am prepared to evidence the sale price at £2500 (which you would need to do in a claim - as they will not part-pay for an item of greater value than the insurance cover), and take the hit on any loss.

After that, I either meet in person or use Secursus.

As per above, in about 15yrs here I do not think I have heard more than one story of an RMSD package going astray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    If it is a shade over, say up to £3k, I take the chance, and am prepared to evidence the sale price at £2500 (which you would need to do in a claim - as they will not part-pay for an item of greater value than the insurance cover), and take the hit on any loss.
    Rather than risk committing insurance fraud, if the value is close to £2.5k there is also the option of separating the head from the bracelet/strap and sending them as separate parcels, each hopefully under the £2.5k limit.

Pretty sure the same (repeating) question was asked only yesterdy - with a useful link to the latest long discussion........................

RMSD allows items up to £5k (compensation still limited to £2.5k), so IMO no need to evidence a lower sale price of £2.5k (assuming it was sold for £3k). I don't know from experience, this is simply from previously reading the T&Cs.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    RMSD allows items up to £5k (compensation still limited to £2.5k), so IMO no need to evidence a lower sale price of £2.5k (assuming it was sold for £3k). I don't know from experience, this is simply from previously reading the T&Cs.
    No, I don’t think that’s correct. Don’t the terms just state that the limit for consequential loss is £5k?

Wasn’t there something recently where you can now send up to £3.5k via RMSD but only £2.5 is covered?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Correct

After that, I either meet in person or use Secursus.

As per above, in about 15yrs here I do not think I have heard more than one story of an RMSD package going astray.
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    No, I don’t think that’s correct. Don’t the terms just state that the limit for consequential loss is £5k?
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wasn’t there something recently where you can now send up to £3.5k via RMSD but only £2.5 is covered?
    £5k value limit, but maximum £2.5k insured.

Thanks, not sure why I thought it was now £3,500.

Quite good for a sale to someone trustworthy on SC.

Master
    Secursus remains the best option provided you obtain consent from them for private sales on a forum. Useless for eBay as they don’t cover sending to the authenticator.

Master
    It's worth checking with your house contents insurers. I did a while back and was told that an item covered by my contents insurance was "on risk" until the instant it was delivered to a buyer.

I never put that to the test though, and always bought 3rd party insurance for any big ticket items I sold on SC

JP

Can someone explain what’s meant above about Secursus not insuring private sale items?

What’s the difference?

I sent a £4k watch the other day using basic RMSD and £40 of Secursus insurance.

Was the watch not actually insured?
    Last edited by mr noble; 6th October 2023 at 08:24.

I read all the FAQs and “How it works” when I set up a Secursus account but never saw anything about not allowing private sales.

This is in their FAQs

Who can use Secursus?
    Everyone would you be a private individual or a registered business/company.

https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/faq/

I’ve now read through their entire T&Cs and cannot find any mention of their Serbia e not being applicable to a private individual or excluding ebay deliveries.

https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/terms-and-conditions/

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I’ve now read through their entire T&Cs and cannot find any mention of their Serbia e not being applicable to a private individual or excluding ebay deliveries.

There may be some confusion with Parcel Pro, who I believe have to specifically sanction individuals who wish to use their services.

Blog Entries

has been covered in previous posts

6.1 exclusions.

ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master

It's the specific part about not selling on online marketplaces as a private individual without consent. A few of us have asked Secursus and they have said this includes watch forums. You just need to obtain consent from them, but will need good feedback and some history with them.

6.2. THE PARCEL INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER:

[ ... ]

ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING.

Remember though, they won't give consent for ebay sales if you send to the authenticator. Must be direct to buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    has been covered in previous posts

6.1 exclusions.

ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING
    That’s a different 6.1 to the T&Cs mr noble linked to, where is it in his?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That’s a different 6.1 to the T&Cs mr noble linked to, where is it in his?
    6.2 as per my post above :)

I apologise for missing that clause 6.2.

It does raise a few questions. Sorry if it's been discussed in a recent thread elsewhere.

If I sell a Rolex to another forum member and post it RMSD with Secursus cover, as I did this week, if it went missing, how would they know that the buyer and I "met" on TZ?

As far as the transaction goes, I've posted my friend a watch. How could they reasonably distinguish one thing from another and deny a claim just because the initial contact was made on a forum? Seems odd to me.

I apologise for missing that clause 6.2.

It does raise a few questions. Sorry if it's been discussed in a recent thread elsewhere.

If I sell a Rolex to another forum member and post it RMSD with Secursus cover, as I did this week, if it went missing, how would they know that the buyer and I "met" on TZ?

As far as the transaction goes, I've posted my friend a watch. How could they reasonably distinguish one thing from another and deny a claim just because the initial contact was made on a forum? Seems odd to me.
    Well if it had gone missing last week, when you spoke to them you'd have happily told them the real story (as you had not yet read this thread), and then potentially been denied your claim. So I guess that's how it works!

Quite right.

I’d then be asking a solicitor to look into it for me as it seems utterly bonkers to allow Bob and Ben to meet in a pub/supermarket/school/work or anywhere else and agree to send a watch from one to the other, but apparently if they happened to meet online, it’s not covered.

WTF not?

I’m just asking for any possible reason they would stipulate a difference?

I can kind of understand why eBay sales might cause issues, but not sales on TZ.