closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tissot T-12 advice

Tissot T-12 advice

Does anyone know whether the crystal in the T-12 Seastar Navigator is special profile (as opposed to standard off the shelf)?
    [IMG]Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 10.29.17 by Oscar India, on Flickr[/IMG]

That's very nice. Love the 70s vibe with that. Not too much, but very distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    That's very nice. Love the 70s vibe with that. Not too much, but very distinctive.
    That's just a random image of one I grabbed from Google to illustrate the point. They're fun things but absolutely hideous if you need any kind of parts for them at all - generally need an entire donor watch. Bit like buying an old Bentley, if you find a cheap one you'll soon realise you need to sell a kidney to keep it running.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    That's just a random image of one I grabbed from Google to illustrate the point. They're fun things but absolutely hideous if you need any kind of parts for them at all - generally need an entire donor watch. Bit like buying an old Bentley, if you find a cheap one you'll soon realise you need to sell a kidney to keep it running.
    I feel your pain!

I once found a gorgeous Valjoux 92 powered diver from the late 60s. Small English brand, obscure lineage. Fortunately, it was a parts bin special even in its day, so there were a few sources for parts, but I hardly broke even on it, despite picking it up for a steal.

What kind of condition is yours in?

I picked up a non running Sicura too, that looked like a Pogue and never managed to get a donor movement to bring it back to life. Sold it on in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    I feel your pain!

I once found a gorgeous Valjoux 92 powered diver from the late 60s. Small English brand, obscure lineage. Fortunately, it was a parts bin special even in its day, so there were a few sources for parts, but I hardly broke even on it, despite picking it up for a steal.

What kind of condition is yours in?

I picked up a non running Sicura too, that looked like a Pogue and never managed to get a donor movement to bring it back to life. Sold it on in the end.
    I don't own one, just thinking about one I've found and trying to establish the crystal situation. If it's bespoke to the watch, additional to a few nasties lurking inside in this case, it's uneconomic to have a punt at.

Grand Master
    One problem with these designs, where there’s an inner bezel rotated via a crown, is the seal on the extra crown. Basically, it’s a nightmare to change, and you can bet your bottom dollar it’ll need changing on a 40-50 year old watch. The crown attaches to a pinion fixed to a stem that drives the inner bezel around and it’s a very brave man who’s prepared to try separating the two in order to remove the crown. Zero parts availability makes this too risky, if the pinion or stem break you’re stuffed, so the crown seal doesn’t get changed and the watch has zero water resistance which limits its wearability. Someone like STS may be able to access the parts but its also possible they’re obsolete and no stocks exist.

This would worry me far more than replacing a crystal, can’t be certain but I’d expect a generic tension- ring crystal to fit, possibly a stepped tension ring or a high dome crystal or a combination of both.