closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dark mark on lume after service

Craftsman

Dark mark on lume after service

Just been looking at the dial on my 14060m and noticed this dark mark on the 7 hour marker.

Only had it back from Rolex service 4 weeks ago. It didn’t have a dial swap on the worksheet

Worth mentioning it or except it and move on?

Do you have a photo of it before service? Could be a grease spot. Reckon they’ll want to swap the dial out to make it right if it was brought to their attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Check out photos before and after and if it was caused by them, then make an issue out of it - at least try get something back.

I had a new black bay bronze which came new out of the factory with a similar mark.

Craftsman
    just looked and yes was there before service, it bugs me now. Never noticed before

I’ve got exactly the same type of mark on one of the markers of my 16570. It’s only just gone for it’s first ever service. It’s a small thing, I learnt to live with it some years ago.

D

Last edited by helidoc; 19th March 2022 at 10:40.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’ve got exactly the same type of mark on one of the markers of my 16570. It’s only just gone for it’s first ever service. It’s a small thing, I learnt to live with it some years ago.

D

suppose it adds character.
    Last edited by forest172; 19th March 2022 at 10:48.

Master
    Sell it to me if you can’t live with it!

I’m all seriousness, I’d just look as it as part of the character of the watch, which makes it original and identifiable to you. Great reference.

If you are sure it only showed up after the service, then that's poor practice.
    I'd certainly query it, at least to know if it is a mark or normal aging.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Sell it to me if you can’t live with it!

I’m all seriousness, I’d just look as it as part of the character of the watch, which makes it original and identifiable to you. Great reference.
    hehe, fair point

Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    If you are sure it only showed up after the service, then that's poor practice.
    I'd certainly query it, at least to know if it is a mark or normal aging.
    checked a few pictures and yes was there before service. Surprised Rolex didn`t point it out and try to charge me for a dial swap

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    checked a few pictures and yes was there before service. Surprised Rolex didn`t point it out and try to charge me for a dial swap
    How does something like that get there though?

Must be either present from new or at service.

Blog Entries
    That’ll be an extra 5K for the slight error on dial. If it was there before I’d take it as part of the watch. Would you want it rectified with a new dial?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Journeyman
    I’d be tempted to at least write them an email and ask what your options are. At least you’ll know where you stand, plus they might give you some merch by way of an apology. I hear they make nice trainers these days.

I'm shocked Rolex didn't mention it and demand you pay £2k for a new dial or suffer being put on a Rolex servicing blacklist for all eternity.

I am surprised it wasn't mentioned, though. It's an obvious blemish and they'd want to cover their backs. Strange.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    I’d be tempted to at least write them an email and ask what your options are. At least you’ll know where you stand, plus they might give you some merch by way of an apology. I hear they make nice trainers these days.
    But he said it was there prior to the service,and so I guess he stands where he did before he sent it to them......
    The original buyer would have had the gripe had he noticed it,but he didnt.....

Master

I’m also surprised they didnt flag that during the pricing estimate to say you need a need dial. I recently instructed to not change the dial and hands and they’ve said hands change mandatory or no service.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 20th March 2022 at 11:03.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    But he said it was there prior to the service,and so I guess he stands where he did before he sent it to them......
    The original buyer would have had the gripe had he noticed it,but he didnt.....
    I disagree. If the watch goes for a service with ‘issues’ I’d expect it to come back fresh from the service without them. Unless of course you specify for certain elements not to be touched (and even then sometimes Rolex will insist that work is carried out). I would expect at the very least Rolex should have spotted it and given you options to rectify it or leave as is.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    I disagree. If the watch goes for a service with ‘issues’ I’d expect it to come back fresh from the service without them. Unless of course you specify for certain elements not to be touched (and even then sometimes Rolex will insist that work is carried out). I would expect at the very least Rolex should have spotted it and given you options to rectify it or leave as is.
    I agree with this. I never noticed it before service, but looking at pics definitely there before I sent it. Surprised it wasn’t picked up on quotation even as an optional replacement dial.

Would I have taken them up on the optional dial swap probably not. But I really thought the Crystal was mint but that apparently had a chip on it. Just the same as my absolutely mint 16613.

This teaches me for buying a loupe from Birmingham watch fair last weekend

I had the same problem with one of the indices of a 16710 that I owned a few years ago. I sent it in for service and asked the RSC if they could remove the mark. It came back without the mark on the dial. If you can then I would be inclined to live with it until you have your next service - the RSC should be able to fix it for you then. Nice watch - 14060M is one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    I had the same problem with one of the indices of a 16710 that I owned a few years ago. I sent it in for service and asked the RSC if they could remove the mark. It came back without the mark on the dial. If you can then I would be inclined to live with it until you have your next service - the RSC should be able to fix it for you then. Nice watch - 14060M is one of my favourites.
    I’ve just emailed RSC to ask about my index mark while it is in. As no good deed goes unpunished, they will probably suggest a new dial ! We will see

D

Last edited by helidoc; 20th March 2022 at 11:25.

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    I agree with this. I never noticed it before service, but looking at pics definitely there before I sent it. Surprised it wasn’t picked up on quotation even as an optional replacement dial.

Would I have taken them up on the optional dial swap probably not. But I really thought the Crystal was mint but that apparently had a chip on it. Just the same as my absolutely mint 16613.

This teaches me for buying a loupe from Birmingham watch fair last weekend
    I think this is the key point and should probably bring conclusion for you. You know the mark was there before service and you know you wouldn't have paid for a dial swap over such a small thing, so really the outcome is the same regardless of whether the service picked it up or not. So nowt to worry about

Craftsman
    When I pick up my 16613 in the next 10 weeks, I’ll mention it but not make a song and dance