closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family/Lux Car Recommendations

Family/Lux Car Recommendations

After not driving much over the last two year I'm driving more and realising that my mk5 Golf GTI is no longer suitable/practical.

I'm after a larger family car for runs to Scotland with 2 kids and a dog but also has to do the commute and look OK in the work carpark.

I'm tempted by the Audi A4 on sales corner but interested in what else is out there.

I need an estate, has to be street parked, budget is negotiable but the street parking means I don't want something expensive. Toys are a bonus, heated seats, park assist, dab etc

I'd also like it to be not too old or moon mileage.

Suggestions??

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02203033159488

Blog Entries
    Budget?

Honda CRV comes to mind - not luxury per se but get a top spec model (i.e. EX) and it will all the toys you need. No street cred so unlikely to attract unwanted attention. Should be able to cope with 2 kids + dog and anything else you can chuck at it. Should be fairly reliable and decent running costs.

The taller body really helps with ingress/egress and especially if your children are in car seats - I also find that the sit-up straight driving position more comfortable on longer runs than the sat-low, legs out position in most estate/saloon cars.

I've currently got a Audi A6 and keep banging my head getting in, same with my previous BMW 3 series and I'm only 5'10" - much refer my Landcruiser in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Budget?

Honda CRV comes to mind - not luxury per se but get a top spec model (i.e. EX) and it will all the toys you need. No street cred so unlikely to attract unwanted attention. Should be able to cope with 2 kids + dog and anything else you can chuck at it. Should be fairly reliable and decent running costs.

The taller body really helps with ingress/egress and especially if your children are in car seats - I also find that the sit-up straight driving position more comfortable on longer runs than the sat-low, legs out position in most estate/saloon cars.

I've currently got a Audi A6 and keep banging my head getting in, same with my previous BMW 3 series and I'm only 5'10" - much refer my Landcruiser in that respect.
    £15k ish?

Not sure the Honda has the badge I'm after, though I used to have a Type R that was the best car I've ever owned!

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    and look OK in the work carpark.
    What EXACTLY does that bit mean and where TF do you work ??

Master
    have a look on You Tube/High Peak Autos. he reviews some nice cars on there. can be an £800 Audi or recently a Bentley SUV. A Volvo sounds good to me and he looks at a couple on there.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    What EXACTLY does that bit mean and where TF do you work ??
    Rocking up in a yellow fiat cinquecento with a red door would not be appropriate in front of customers :)

Yes! Love both of those, could you make them newer with less miles for the same money :)

Mercedes C Class
    https://www.hiltongarage.co.uk/used-...yshire-4171453

Volvo V60
    https://www.hiltongarage.co.uk/used-...yshire-4031118

Jaguar XE
    https://www.hiltongarage.co.uk/used-...yshire-3985314

Any of these in diesel or preferably petrol will look good and suit family travel.

Edit, realised you've asked specifically for estates, C Class is available in estate but the Jag, you'd need to look at XF, not XE
    Last edited by RickChard; 16th March 2022 at 15:56.

After not driving much over the last two year I'm driving more and realising that my mk5 Golf GTI is no longer suitable/practical.

I'm after a larger family car for runs to Scotland with 2 kids and a dog but also has to do the commute and look OK in the work carpark.

I'm tempted by the Audi A4 on sales corner but interested in what else is out there.

I need an estate, has to be street parked, budget is negotiable but the street parking means I don't want something expensive. Toys are a bonus, heated seats, park assist, dab etc

I'd also like it to be not too old or moon mileage.

Suggestions??
    It's got to be an Audi A4 Allroad everyday......completely fits your bill.

How about this one;

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...ceDeposit=true

Craftsman
    I have very similar requirements for a car (if not the same) and have a 3 series estate and a x5. The x5 is definitely a better car for our needs.

For your budget I would look at and consider bmw x3’s.

What don't you like about the A4 on SC?

I thought about that and I don't even need a different car

The Golf estate is a lot bigger than the hatch (and prior to the latest model, at least, roomier than a 3 Series Touring in the boot) - Basically an Audi with slightly lesser trim quality, but you probably know that.

A Mercedes still seems to have some cachet in the 'office car park' stakes as that seems to be important.

A relatively recent Volvo always seems to be a nice place to be and a bit less 'badge snobbery' sensitive.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 16th March 2022 at 16:51.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    :

The Golf estate is a lot bigger than the hatch (and prior to the latest model, at least, roomier than a 3 Series Touring in the boot) - Basically an Audi with slightly lesser trim quality, but you probably know that.
    Go with an Octavia estate, the boot is bigger than the golf! It’s basically an Audi with slightly lesser trim quality! And cheaper 😉

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Go with an Octavia estate, the boot is bigger than the golf! It’s basically an Audi with slightly lesser trim quality! And cheaper 

Ah but the company car park ;)

Craftsman
    I had a similar choice to make and went for a BMW 3GT the hatchback is practical and there is loads of space in the back seats for people with longer legs (or car seats).

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Had about 5 Skodas. The last was a VRS245 estate with all the toys. Great cars but I’ve had too many of them

Go with an Octavia estate, the boot is bigger than the golf! It’s basically an Audi with slightly lesser trim quality! And cheaper 😉

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Budget?

^^^ this ^^^ And don't care if it has parking lot appearance or not. Its' the best possible car for your wallet. 'Fairly reliable' should read as 'bomb-proof'.

Over the last few months, we had a long queue of (potential) contractors on the driveway for various things we want to have done in and around the house. Some arrive in a Polar or an Audi. I'm not too keen when I see that: I pay for that car's costs when I strike a deal with that contractor! I was fed-up when the third one arrived in a car that's more expensive than mine (BMW 5 Series). I told him that he would not get the contract. Purely for the reason of that car. "Your costs are high and I don't want to pay your costs!" I prefer a contractor with an old V70 or Passat. A not-so-glamorous car is better for business.
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th March 2022 at 20:32.

Second hand cars are so expensive at the moment. If the golf is sound, I'd get bars and a roof box, unless the dog is massive obviously.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Second hand cars are so expensive at the moment. If the golf is sound, I'd get bars and a roof box, unless the dog is massive obviously.

The Golf is just a bit old, and I've had it for 2 years so fancy a bit of a change. The upside is that it's worth more than I paid for it

The Golf is just a bit old, and I've had it for 2 years so fancy a bit of a change. The upside is that it's worth more than I paid for it
    The downside is - the car you are buying will also be more expensive too!

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    The downside is - the car you are buying will also be more expensive too!
    I can't see that changing for another 12 months though

Would be my choice..
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Would be my choice..
    Looks cool but it's pretty old. 3.2ltr petrol sounds thirsty...in a good way :)

Looks cool but it's pretty old. 3.2ltr petrol sounds thirsty...in a good way :)
    Volvo's eat miles, we still run a v70 that dates from 2001, it's been across Europe more times than I can remember, superb seats mid 40's on a run.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I've had one of those too, It was a nice place to be on my commute from Leeds to Blackburn for a couple of years.

______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    That interior hasn't dated very well - though I can forgive it a lot of things based on that power-plant!

I've looked at those already. I can see it being a total money pit! I had a very nice E46 M3 that I should have kept but when sat in the commute you might as well be in a 320d, unless you looked at fuel consumption

Master
    £15k ish?

Not sure the Honda has the badge I'm after, though I used to have a Type R that was the best car I've ever owned!
    Not sure why you say that. Honda are right at the top in the reliability tables and the quality of the paintwork is second to none.

If you want to pose then fair enough but for a reasonably good looking vehicle that's reliable, a CRV is a top competitor.

I bought a HRV a few weeks ago and it's great.

Blog Entries
    With a classic car workshop, it is obvious that I talk to people from car body shops & painters from time to time.
    Nearly all comment on the CR-V’s paintwork as in: ‘…far better than we normally see!’ With negative comments on all VAG products. The paintwork on VAG’s cars is só thin that the lower parts of the body have hardly any paint on them. The undercoat colour is shining through causing a colour difference with the paint near the door handles, roof and bonnet.

“When we have to spraypaint a VW, Skoda or Audi as a result of repair, we always end up with colour difference on the sills and lower panels. The paint is simply thicker than the existing paint and therefore more colourful.”

When looking for a Volvo V70: get a D5.
    Last edited by thieuster; 18th March 2022 at 11:20.

Master
    Skoda Superb Sportline estate. All the room you will ever need, reliable and it’s a good looking car.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Skoda Superb Sportline estate. All the room you will ever need, reliable and it’s a good looking car.
    Might not look OK in the works car park though.....

Master
    I'll add some thoughts -

- Merc E-Class - Ran one for 4 years as my kids were aged between 11-16 and I'm 6ft 2" tall. Rear leg room wasn't actually that great. Very competent on long journeys but also very boring
    - Hyundai Santa Fe - not as refined as the Merc, drank fuel like it was going out of fashion but loads of room for passengers and massive boot

Over the years I have short listed a Skoda Superb 3 times and never quite pushed the button. Having now bought one, I can categorically confirm what everyone else has known for years, I'm a complete idiot!! The Skoda is the best car I have ever owned. It's a L&K Skoda Superb so top trim / spec. It has all the toys and more, so much in fact that I still don't quite understand all of it. It has adaptive dampers with 4 different modes, self parking, memory seats, full leather, Digital TV, Heated front and rear seats, more safety stuff than you can shake a safety stick at. It's very good on fuel - 40mpg round town and easily high 60mpgs on a run.

Space wise, everyone who gets in comments on how spacious it is and how nicely put together it is. It is worth a look and seeing what you can get for your budget. I didn't go for the estate version, the 'Hatch' has an enormous boot and the dogs jump in there :-)

If you are a badge snob then look elsewhere but you will be surprised at how good a car they are

Kind regards

Paul

Skoda is the new Volvo. I would urge a test drive of one.

With all his vast experience of cars, I'm struggling to understand why the OP needs to ask for advice at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    With all his vast experience of cars, I'm struggling to understand why the OP needs to ask for advice at all?
    It's a bit like pin the tail on the donkey, a dozen or more suggestions and we're still waiting.....!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What does that mean Volvo is now? I have a nearly new one and find it easily as good as an equivalent merc / Audi / bmw it was certainly a similar price I don’t know if it’s just the badge snobbery that people see, genuine question

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    What does that mean Volvo is now? I have a nearly new one and find it easily as good as an equivalent merc / Audi / bmw it was certainly a similar price I don’t know if it’s just the badge snobbery that people see, genuine question
    A few years ago I watched the (then?) Volvo CEO explain that Volvo was a brand at the fork in the road between VW/Honda and Merc/BMW/Audi.

Their customer discovery said most lost sales were from people saving money to drop down to VW/Honda etc or finding more money to go German/Range Rover. Volvo decided they had to rival one of those groups and made the choice to go upmarket and compete with the Germans/RR.

In short Volvo went upper class which allowed Skoda to fill the middle class gap Volvo left behind.

I have two family members with Volvos (XC90 and V60) and they are lovely cars. Great sun roofs and 360 cameras/screens.

Master
    A few years ago I watched the (then?) Volvo CEO explain that Volvo was a brand at the fork in the road between VW/Honda and Merc/BMW/Audi.

Their customer discovery said most lost sales were from people saving money to drop down to VW/Honda etc or finding more money to go German/Range Rover. Volvo decided they had to rival one of those groups and made the choice to go upmarket and compete with the Germans/RR.

In short Volvo went upper class which allowed Skoda to fill the middle class gap Volvo left behind.

I have two family members with Volvos (XC90 and V60) and they are lovely cars. Great sun roofs and 360 cameras/screens.
    That makes some sense not sure the general public and motoring journalists see it that way when ever they are comparing upmarket cars it’s always Audi merc bmw + jag, but whenever they review Volvos they always comment on the the scandi design aspect and how well they are made, not that it bothers me I bought mine for in my view the best seats available to help with a long term progressive back problem and I rather like the under the radar image

Master
    And they aren't that bad looking.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had a few Skoda's but I absolutely hated my last one (Kodiaq). I felt as though the car was driving me rather than me driving the car. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to be the one in the driving seat!

Volvo still Volvo just gentrified

Skoda new SAAB (rip)

Maybe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've had a few Skoda's but I absolutely hated my last one (Kodiaq). I felt as though the car was driving me rather than me driving the car. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to be the one in the driving seat!
    Lane assist etc? They can be disabled if you don't want them "assisting"

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Still love our Skoda karoq, 4 years now, one of the first in Cartagena and it drew a lot of attention, was even keyed in the first 2 weeks, how's that for car park attention/ envy!..now they're everywhere, cheaper than vw troc or Audi Q3.

Master
    The Volvo lane assist is a total pita. At least it can be disabled.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    No one’s mentioned Lexus yet so I will. RX and NX should be in budget. Japanese reliability with a decent image. Not massively sporty but the hybrids are damn quick at legal speeds. PSD gearboxes can take a few days to get used to but once you get them they beat any other gearbox I’ve used hands down for just being a way to get power to the wheels. The only down side is that you don’t love them until you don’t have them any longer. Then you miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    No one’s mentioned Lexus yet so I will. RX and NX should be in budget. Japanese reliability with a decent image. Not massively sporty but the hybrids are damn quick at legal speeds. PSD gearboxes can take a few days to get used to but once you get them they beat any other gearbox I’ve used hands down for just being a way to get power to the wheels. The only down side is that you don’t love them until you don’t have them any longer. Then you miss them.
    I miss my Lexus IS300H like a hole in the head. Acres of dull plastic trim, leather seats that fell apart. And the final nail in the coffin the horrendous CVT gearbox that sounded like a washing machine. I had mine from new and stuck 120000 miles on it (company car so could not get l rid of it) Lexus customer care was pretty lacking as are all the major brands I find these days. Get a Skoda Superb does exactly what it says on the tin.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Volvos get my backing lovely things; I have had them for about 10 years now. Done a couple to 150,000 plus and not missed a beat. Comfortable for the ridiculous miles I do and the seats are some of the most comfortable I have sat in.

The 360 camera is fantastic and the B&W sound system is also lovely and loud.
    Last edited by shoppy; 24th March 2022 at 00:58.