closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Airmiles credit cards

Master

Airmiles credit cards

Anyone use one of these, which one have you got and how do you find them when you come to book your flight.

Master
    I have an Amex card for BA miles. It’s not worth using, I only have it now as I have a few free trips credited to the account (you lose them if you close the card).

Master
    No experience. Might be something useful here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cr...-credit-cards/

I use a Virgin Atlantic Card to collect their miles.
    I use it as a charge card paying the balance off each month and usually have enough points for at least one upgrade a year or so. It works for me. I am about to book a flight and have enough point to upgrade to Upper as they have built up over the last 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Anyone use one of these, which one have you got and how do you find them when you come to book your flight.
    Me and my partner both have BA amex cards and actively pursue points with the aim of getting a companion voucher/points and going on a long haul trip every couple of years.
    so we use the app and click through to get multiple points when we are buying large items to get the maximum avios.
    BA have changed the rules so you need the premium card now to get a companion voucher at business class level, but you can pay the £250 fee and upgrade the card then downgrade once you have earned the voucher.
    We are about to refurb a flat once we move so one of us will upgrade the card and buy as much stuff for the refrurb on that card which will mean we get another companion voucher.

we are travelling to Japan late august/early september. it cost us £1100 to fly business class out and premium economy return. so about 1/4 of the cost without voucher and points.

flights become available 355 days in advance so i just went online a few mins past midnight and booked, didn’t have any issues with availability but on some popular routes like New York you have to be quick.

Master
    Likewise I’ve used the BA Amex for many years now and it’s been a great way of using all of the Avios I build up from my work travel. The spend on the card itself helps but for me most of my points are built up from flights so the real value lies in getting the Mrs into a flat seat for “free” when we go on holiday. Happy wife, happy life and all that.

I’ve never had a problem getting flights but as MrSmith says you need to plan in advance and sometimes jump through a hoop or two. The other big benefit is that redemption flights are flexible and can be cancelled right up until the day before the trip for a small fee.

New York is actually one of the easiest redemption flights to get as there are so many daily returns. Singapore / Australia / LA much more difficult.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    This is not a strictly straightforward subject, but the font of all knowledge is this site: https://headforpoints.com

In essence, it depends a lot on what you want to spend points on, and you'll spend on the card to generate said points.

There are some better Mastercards coming to market at the moment, but all depends on your circumstances. I'd definitely recommend reading the above website, it's a fantastic resource. (We've done 10+ long haul flights in First on points so it does work well if you're circumstances are a good fit for racking up the points and vouchers).

Craftsman

Airmiles credit cards

I’ve got the British Airways American Express Premium Card and have had it for many years, we’ve flown either first class or business class once a year and find it well worth having.

I find some destinations are far easier than others and have more flights, booking well in advance is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Points aren’t what they once were.

10 Years ago they would pay for fare including taxes. Now the cost of a cheap flight to NY, say, isn’t much more than the taxes needed for an Air Miles flight.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Points aren’t what they once were.

10 Years ago they would pay for fare including taxes. Now the cost of a cheap flight to NY, say, isn’t much more than the taxes needed for an Air Miles flight.
    If you know what you’re doing none of the above is true

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Is there a way of not paying the taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Not all untrue as Air Miles flights once did include taxes.

Anyway I know you can fly via 3rd countries, use other carriers etc. but the savings still aren’t what they were and it won’t be a 100% free flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not all untrue as Air Miles flights once did include taxes.

Anyway I know you can fly via 3rd countries, use other carriers etc. but the savings still aren’t what they were and it won’t be a 100% free flight.
    it worked out 1/4 of there price for us. we paid the same as 2 economy returns to Tokyo but are flying Business and premium economy. spent just over £1k and saved over £3k. Free? no but great value.
    If you know what you are doing and work it to your advantage there’re good savings to be made, i expect we could have saved even more on different flights but it was where we wanted to go.
    it’s basically free upgrades and on a long haul flight the chance to lie down and sleep is worth it as the recovery time is shorter and you have more time to enjoy the holiday.

you could always buy wine with the points but that is of less value per point.

Master
    I’ve used air miles credit cards for years - both Virgin and lately BA. Have to say that used the right way they have been fantastic. Premium and Upper (not economy as not much benefit).

I’m currently in Las Vegas having flown my wife and two eldest children all in Upper Class for around £650 each. Admittedly it required a lot of air miles but they’ve just been accumulating a lot especially in the last couple of years.