closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Conservatory Roof

Conservatory Roof

I have a 4m x 5m conservatory at the rear of my house, accessed via the lounge, which has a twin wall polycarbonate sheet roof. It suffers from the usual too cold / too hot problem. What are the options to make it a more usable space? I have tried Googling, but all that throws up is hundreds on Bodgit & Scarper Conservatory Company websites, with little in the way of decent information or likely costs.

What are the options?

Blinds - likely to make any difference?
    Solar glass - does it work?
    Tiled roof replacement - I'm worried that this would make the lounge rather dark

So, any and all suggerstions, help and advice are welcome.

Conservatory Roof

Had similar when I moved here and replaced with the solar glass. It was the full roof (so they replaced the framework too) and I also installed roller blinds. I love the roof and it is cooler during the summer and I am using it unheated in the mornings now. I went glass as I just love the light and its lovely to sit in at night. I heat mine via an electric heater and it warms up fairly quickly and keeps the heat better than it did with the poly carb.
    Last edited by Barton Red; 15th March 2022 at 17:49.

Used a firm from Northampton about 6 years ago called nu-look. They took the old poly roof off, including frame, and replaced it with proper wooden trusses, insulation, and tiles. Then, steel rod supports to assist with the extra weight of the new roof, which ran inside the upvc window frames. Plastered ceiling inside, and finished off with building regs approval. This meant being able to remove the doors from the house into the conversatory without having to put them back if you move.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We have one of these

https://www.ultraframe-conservatorie...oofs/livinroof

It looks great and let’s in the light whilst being insulated. Not sure of cost as it was in the house when we moved in.

We had a tiled roof put on by Cosy Roof. Would
    Highly recommend. The prices vary massively between some of these companies, different systems etc Guardian seem to be popular but they were a lot more expensive in our case. Happy to send pictures if needed

Master
    Check out this thread:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t=Conservatory

I have a Guardian Roof installed and it is the best home improvement I have ever done. Turned an occasional conservatory into an every day of the year room. Add roof windows if you are worried about the light

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Check out this thread:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t=Conservatory

I have a Guardian Roof installed and it is the best home improvement I have ever done. Turned an occasional conservatory into an every day of the year room. Add roof windows if you are worried about the light

Apologies if you said somewhere, but might I ask how much that was?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Apologies if you said somewhere, but might I ask how much that was?
    I think it was around £25k all in, but I also replaced the windows and doors, and this is a big conservatory at over 6.5m long.

You should be able to get an online quote from Guardian to give you an indication
    Last edited by mtagrant; 16th March 2022 at 08:45.

We've had glass and polycarbonate, but the best solution by a long chalk was choosing a tiled roof.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.