closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Value advice - Tudor Black Bay ETA (blue bezel)

Master

Value advice - Tudor Black Bay ETA (blue bezel)

A friend wants to sell his Tudor Black Bay, ETA version with blue bezel. At a Tudor launch event the sales staff were fawning over it, ooh you've got a rare one there, a real investment, going up in value etc. This may have inflated his expectations! Looking on eBay sold listings they've sold for anywhere from £2k to over £3k. Before I just point him to Watchfinder, can anyone give an indication of the current value? I think he's been offered a price from a reseller already but don't want him to be ripped off if they undervalue it but also want to temper his expectations if he thinks someone is going to pay him more than he bought it for. He's not a WIS, but bought it as he wanted a nice watch and liked it at the time!

Thanks

Ant

Master
    Watchfinder have a couple of these currently listed at £2800 and £2900. No box or papers for either. I suspect they wouldn’t make an offer whilst they have two unsold items. This model is popular here because of the ETA movement, well capable of performing to COSC standard but can be serviced by any competent independent repairer. Maybe your friend also needs to consider that it may need a service.

The red bezel was launched in March 2012, the blue in March 2014 and the black in October 2015.

All three were replaced by the in house models in March 2016.

Whilst I don’t have a firm idea of a realistic value for the blue, the above gives an indication of the relative numbers that were likely to have been produced. Hence black worth more than the blue, as produced in much smaller numbers, with the red having been produced for the longest period having a lower value than the other two.

£2300 private sale.
    Sorry, you did ask

Funny how sales staff always seem to be very complimentary of whatever watch you happen to be wearing. It's almost like they have an alternate motive

Craftsman
    I sold my red eta to watchfinder for £1450 if that helps ...

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I sold a red ETA late last year for £2150. That was on strap, no recent service so would expect more for bracelet/service. That was a private sale, I was quoted much lower from dealers. There are a lot of these around so not much dealer interest.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Funny how sales staff always seem to be very complimentary of whatever watch you happen to be wearing. It's almost like they have an alternate motive
    You took the words...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    I sold my red eta to watchfinder for £1450 if that helps ...

When did you sell it at £1450?.

Master
    Thanks everyone for the contributions. My friend has been offered £2k by the trade or £2.9k on commission sale (19% fee). Watchfinder declined to bid as they have some already.

I suggested he might be able to split the difference on eBay but may just go for the easy option.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Oh wow, is that the Hublot we sold you for £40k? What an amazing investment that turned out to be. Very rare.

If they are fawning over an ETA BB Blue they’re actors or intellectually challenged. Nice watch, but not an investment or universally sought after. The black sure, but not the red or blue. Best bracelet that ever came on a Black Bay though.

Craftsman
    Last year about may I think Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    Last year about may I think

Id have thought more than £1450 selling on here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Id have thought more than £1450 selling on here.
    True but I wanted a quick hassle free sale as something on sales corner caught my eye... I bought it for a good price so I didn't lose too much

Journeyman
    Sold mine last year for £2300 to a dealer, so that’s all I’ve got to go on.

It was a blue bezel ETA, on braclet, barely worn, with all the box/papers/receipt/unworn nato.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As an update, my friend has taken the easy option and shipped the watch, box, papers etc for sale to the trade (£2k). I have advised that he could realise a higher price in other ways, but he's just pleased he's able to get back what he paid when purchased new.

Ant