closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: PV installer recommendations

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Petersfield, Hampshire
    Posts
    6,075

    PV installer recommendations

    We have a roof that is ideal for PV but I've always been put off by the ten year payback (though wish I'd known we'd be here 20 years!) but that must be down to 5 now.

    I'd therefore appreciate any recommendations for installers either national or those operating in Hampshire / Surrey / West Sussex.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Master yumma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chelmsford, UK
    Posts
    2,698
    Hi buddy. I have just had my roof done by my energy provider ‘SO Energy’, I could not fault the service or install, they also fitted an EV charger, all in it was circa £10k but with a 5kw battery and quoted 11 year pay back; which now is looking nearer six years. I have a referral code somewhere if you fancy it give me a shout. I would happily stick any referral into GQ’s Ukraine fundraiser. It works superbly well for us as we have an EV and have a good overnight tariff between 00:00-05:00.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Leics/Notts border
    Posts
    1,262
    Just started looking myself at what’s available.
    Someone recommended once the battery has fully charged you can divert the free energy to your water tank. To heat this via the emersion heater, hence getting a free tank of hot water & cutting down on gas usage.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,627
    It’s worth checking if your county has a scheme running with this organisation - https://solartogether.co.uk/landing
    Significant VAT savings on some aspects of the purchase.
    We’re in Cambridgeshire so our installer I don’t think will work in your area (Greenscape Energy, based in Norwich) but we would recommend them.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    We have a roof that is ideal for PV but I've always been put off by the ten year payback (though wish I'd known we'd be here 20 years!) but that must be down to 5 now.
    Also relevant is the return on investment (at least 5% these days, and relevant if you have funds sitting in a 0.5% ‘high’ interest account), plus the old story that there’s no capital value on house sales with installed PV systems is surely no longer valid.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    It’s worth checking if your county has a scheme running with this organisation - https://solartogether.co.uk/landing
    Significant VAT savings on some aspects of the purchase.
    We’re in Cambridgeshire so our installer I don’t think will work in your area (Greenscape Energy, based in Norwich) but we would recommend them.
    I'm also in the flatlands of Cambridgeshire and considering solar together. Did you get quotes from other installers for comparison and did you get a battery in your installation?

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    4,067
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    It’s worth checking if your county has a scheme running with this organisation - https://solartogether.co.uk/landing
    Significant VAT savings on some aspects of the purchase.
    Mine isn't at the moment but good link, thanks!

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I'm also in the flatlands of Cambridgeshire and considering solar together. Did you get quotes from other installers for comparison and did you get a battery in your installation?
    Yes, I can’t now remember who we got quotes from (and I’m away from home for a while now so can’t check my records) but all three proposals were similar in terms of kit and the SolarTogether one was the cheapest, although not massively so.

    One of our friends had gone with SolarTogether a couple of months before us, and he’s a retired consulting energy technology engineer who must be every PV installer's worst nightmare! He’s extremely picky and, barring a few minor glitches, is very happy with their installation and understandably that was a big plus for us.

    It’s worth mentioning that the installers chosen for each phase may vary.

    Yes, we’ve got 3 batteries.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Just started looking myself at what’s available.
    Someone recommended once the battery has fully charged you can divert the free energy to your water tank. To heat this via the emersion heater, hence getting a free tank of hot water & cutting down on gas usage.
    We've had a 4kw PV installation from the times when there was a good feed in tariff available and have done quite well out of it.
    Due to heating oil becoming ridiculously priced, I'm now looking at one of these, probably should have done it before;
    https://www.marlec.co.uk/product/sol...st-controller/
    It would allow me to turn the central heating off (ours runs for hot water twice a day even when room heating is off) during the summer months.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Yes, I can’t now remember who we got quotes from (and I’m away from home for a while now so can’t check my records) but all three proposals were similar in terms of kit and the SolarTogether one was the cheapest, although not massively so.

    One of our friends had gone with SolarTogether a couple of months before us, and he’s a retired consulting energy technology engineer who must be every PV installer's worst nightmare! He’s extremely picky and, barring a few minor glitches, is very happy with their installation and understandably that was a big plus for us.

    It’s worth mentioning that the installers chosen for each phase may vary.

    Yes, we’ve got 3 batteries.
    Thanks. Three batteries eh, you must be nearly off the grid?

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Leics/Notts border
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    We've had a 4kw PV installation from the times when there was a good feed in tariff available and have done quite well out of it.
    Due to heating oil becoming ridiculously priced, I'm now looking at one of these, probably should have done it before;
    https://www.marlec.co.uk/product/sol...st-controller/
    It would allow me to turn the central heating off (ours runs for hot water twice a day even when room heating is off) during the summer months.

    This is what my supplier use,

    https://myenergi.com/product/eddi/

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    This is what my supplier use,

    https://myenergi.com/product/eddi/
    Thanks for that, it seems quite a sophisticated bit of kit.
    I really must get my finger out.

  13. #13
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere (UK)
    Posts
    2,224
    Caplor Energy in Hereford, but they work all over the country I believe.

    We used them to scheme a full 'off grid' set up, but did not go ahead due to funding during the Covid uncertainty. Their advice was very fair and knowledgeable.

  14. #14
    I've recently had a quote from E.ON for solar PV - we have a large, south facing roof so a good candidate. The quote was for:
    £11,000 = 16 x 360w panels & 8.2kwh Battery solution + installation and some trenching required.

    Does this sound like an ok deal?

    They estimate it will generate c. 5000kwh per year. I think I need to get an EV (which I'm keen to do) to boost my payback period and also looking into how it could help with heating and hot water.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Leics/Notts border
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    I've recently had a quote from E.ON for solar PV - we have a large, south facing roof so a good candidate. The quote was for:
    £11,000 = 16 x 360w panels & 8.2kwh Battery solution + installation and some trenching required.

    Does this sound like an ok deal?

    They estimate it will generate c. 5000kwh per year. I think I need to get an EV (which I'm keen to do) to boost my payback period and also looking into how it could help with heating and hot water.
    Mine was 13 panels, (4800kwh yr) inverter, solar immersion, 5kw battery fully fitted £8.4K. (Not including removing the 5%VAT)
    Having survey this Friday.
    I asked why only 13 panels & not 16 like my neighbour, told neighbours will be a 4KW system from years ago & domestic single phase they recommend not going above 4-4.5KW.
    I have been monitoring my readings taken 7.30-8am & 6pm my evening/night usage has not exceeded 5kw.
    Colleague at work ‘reader renewable engery’ has been crunching my data & reckons no brainer, with price rises next week & in Oct break even time is also reduced.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Mine was 13 panels, (4800kwh yr) inverter, solar immersion, 5kw battery fully fitted £8.4K. (Not including removing the 5%VAT)
    Having survey this Friday.
    I asked why only 13 panels & not 16 like my neighbour, told neighbours will be a 4KW system from years ago & domestic single phase they recommend not going above 4-4.5KW.
    Thanks, what company are quoting you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information