closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Surprise at The AD...

Craftsman

Rolex Surprise at The AD...

Long story short...

...I'm finally in a position to 'Register my Interest' for my grail watch.

A Rolex Submariner Date in stainless and gold (Ref: 126613LB).

So you can imagine my surprise when I walk up to the desk in my AD and see one in the display case!

I thought I'd won the lottery.

Unfortunately, the sales guy quickly explained they'd been told they needed to have display stock in to show potential customers.

And that my grail, the Batman and the Milgauss were all allocated.

Still, I did get the opportunity to put my fingerprints all over them =)

As for registering my interest...

...The AD informed me they probably get about four 126613LB a year and they've got a list of about 60 people who want one.

Doing the math made me wonder what the point of registering my interest was.

So I didn't.

But I did ask them to let me know when they get an Omega titanium Ultra Deep in.

Think that might be my new Grail LOL =)

Anyway...

...Here's a couple of bad shots for you:

Master
    Yes nothing in the store is actually for sale. Nice to see/try them on though compared to the recent empty stands. Still a crazy situation but it is what it is.
    There was one for sale recently that's been withdrawn but might be worth reaching out. Price has gone now but i think it was around £14k so not too bad considering list price and the mark up some other models have.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=rolex

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wonder of the 60 how many actually want the watch for themselves.

Note that the Rolex is working - sometimes is said that they are non-functioning versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Note that the Rolex is working - sometimes is said that they are non-functioning versions.
    I'm not sure how this can still be a mystery to be honest. There's display models in every Rolex AD, they're all real watches.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I'm not sure how this can still be a mystery to be honest. There's display models in every Rolex AD, they're all real watches.
    Didn't know it was a mystery, just I've seen it posted on TZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I believed internet folklore too until I tried on some 'exhibition only' models recently. I was surprised when the seconds hand sprang to life. They are full working watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Indeed. A lot of that going on.

Sensible decision to move your interest to another brand.

Master
    The OP could buy his grail watch this afternoon if he wanted, all he has to do is accept the fact that you rarely buy in demand Rolex watches from an AD anymore. He will just have to go to a grey or an independent and pay the market rate. RRP is a myth, once you accept that, all will be well.

The OP says he's finally in a position to register his interest which I assume means he's now able to afford RRP. Telling him to them find an additional 150 - 200% is just nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The OP could buy his grail watch this afternoon if he wanted, all he has to do is accept the fact that you rarely buy in demand Rolex watches from an AD anymore. He will just have to go to a grey or an independent and pay the market rate. RRP is a myth, once you accept that, all will be well.

RRP is a myth, once you accept that, all will be well.
    I could have sworn I paid RRP last week…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The OP says he's finally in a position to register his interest which I assume means he's now able to afford RRP. Telling him to them find an additional 150 - 200% is just nonsense.
    If you owned the watch that he wanted, you would sell it at above RRP. The going rate is the only fair price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I could have sworn I paid RRP last week…
    You should act as a consult advising people how to do it, you would make a fortune.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Just another Rolex you could have bought from many ADs windows 3 or 4 years ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post

...The AD informed me they probably get about four 126613LB a year and they've got a list of about 60 people who want one.

So I didn't.
    The subject of Rolex lists is a popular one. At the end of the day, you may never get one if you’re on the list but you certainly won’t if you’re not. Costs nothing to go on the list.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post

So I didn't.
    The annual price increases make it even less appealing

Lets say, based on your figures you managed to get one after 10 years given not everyone on the list will actually complete the sale and that £11,800 watch increases by 5% each year without any revisions. In 10 years time it'll cost £19,220.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I believe it’s possible to get this watch at a much much smaller premium. I would imagine the price paid today in the grey market probably won’t be far off the rrp in 5 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I believe it’s possible to get this watch at a much much smaller premium. I would imagine the price paid today in the grey market probably won’t be far off the rrp in 5 years.
    There's one on C24 for £16.5k which is 40% over list. A positive bargain these days!

Master
    If you owned the watch that he wanted, you would sell it at above RRP. The going rate is the only fair price.
    Surely every watch on the secondary market was initially sold at RRP

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    The annual price increases make it even less appealing.
    Annual price rises?

Could you tell me more about them?

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The subject of Rolex lists is a popular one. At the end of the day, you may never get one if you’re on the list but you certainly won’t if you’re not. Costs nothing to go on the list.
    Absolutely, what do you have to lose by going on the list, even if it means you may still not get the watch you want.

I have been waiting for my preferred watch at the AD for over two years. However the fact that the AD does me the the courtesy of updating me every year, even with just telling me I am no closer, feels kind of reassuring.

I wouldn't get even that if I was not on the list!