closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko Question

Grand Seiko Question

I have looked but cannot seem to find an answer.

Do Grand Seiko currently make or have they ever made a model that is 37mm in size with a spring drive movement?

SBGZ005 is 37.5mm if that's close enough.

More affordable but 38.5mm is SBGY007.

Last edited by Kingstepper; 12th March 2022 at 10:49.

Thanks.

Master
    Sub-40mm Spring Drives are fairly unusual, bar the above two these are the only others I can think of - https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/sp...anseasons2020/

I imported the ‘Shadow’ variant a little while ago, a lovely watch and rather cheaper than the above SBGY007, even landed with tax paid.

Not Grand Seiko, but my Credor is 37mm and has a hand wind Spring Drive movement

Movement is the 7R88

It's a more decorated version of the 7R68 used in the first GS Spring Drive, the SBWA001, which was about 38mm.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Not Grand Seiko, but my Credor is 37mm and has a hand wind Spring Drive movement

Movement is the 7R88

It's a more decorated version of the 7R68 used in the first GS Spring Drive, the SBWA001, which was about 38mm.

TT
    That is superb

I've never come across Credor before - but it looks to be a super nice dress watch and, of course, a great movement! Tks for the education!

Journeyman
    Credor looks like a nice dress watch. Will need to read up on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That is superb
    Thanks! I went out shopping for a Calatrava or Breguet Classique but this one grabbed me. At least equal in quality, in my view, but different and I suppose, somewhat rarer.

Quote Originally Posted by Merod View Post
    I've never come across Credor before - but it looks to be a super nice dress watch and, of course, a great movement! Tks for the education!
    It's a hidden Japanese gem. To my mind, a little like Grand Seiko twenty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by donsaini View Post
    Credor looks like a nice dress watch. Will need to read up on.
    They are indeed the dress / jewellery side. Some very expensive (US$1m+) diamond-encrusted things have been produced, which would horrify most here, and some quite forgettable items in the late 80s and 90s (a bit like Omega's dark period of chintzy dress quartzes) albeit doubtless of their time.

Now that GS has gone global, I see Credor as the unapologetically Japanese brand. Styling therefore isn't always to Western tastes, but there's some good stuff amongst the jewellery too:

Calibre 68, under 2mm thick, Credor exclusive. Made by hand in quantities of just one or two a day.

You can find it in the GBAQ971:

And GCBY999:

For Spring Drive (to come back to the purpose of this thread) the 7R88 movement is still going, and used in the GCLH975 among others, which has a case similar to that above. There is also a big date complication (which I can't warm to, personally) in the GCLP995.

Further along, the 7R11 Spring Drive is used in the Minute Repeater, GBLS998:

(Yours for £275,000)

I think this is a decent quote from the perspective of a Western audience:

While similarities to Grand Seiko timepieces are evident, one of the main ways Credor watches differ from Seiko or Grand Seiko is that they are designed specifically for the Japanese market. They are intentionally not meant for mass appeal, and because of that, Credor watches are more delicate and elegant by comparison to their Seiko siblings.
    source: https://www.europeanwatch.com/blog/c...clp995-review/

The best example of this perhaps, being the Eichi ("Wisdom") model:

...which uses the Spring Drive 7R14

There's some more on these and other Spring Drive Credors in the Interesting Quartz thread

With apologies to the OP for the massive thread diversion,

TT