closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Taking present abroad - import duty risk?

Taking present abroad - import duty risk?

It’s my wife’s birthday at the end of the month and I’m planning on buying her a watch in the UK. We will be in Spain when it’s her birthday, so I want to take it with me for her to open, but I’m a little worried about having to pay import duty on arrival or return.

This might be a silly question, but If I take the receipt with me from the UK, should that remove any concerns border control might have? An alternative is to remove the watch from the box but that might ruin the moment a little bit.

Any advice is much appreciated!

I'd strongly suggest keeping it at home for her to open when you get back - it'll make both of your travels so much more pleasant if you don't have to worry about this. Even if you do everything by the book, you'll still likely be worrying about it.

Blog Entries
    Unless your holiday is longer than 3 months I think you are fine. Just take the receipt with you. (There must be a tax accountant amongst us who can give a definitive answer).

More importantly- what did you buy the lucky lady - we won’t tell, honest!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th March 2022 at 17:04.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Don't see how having the receipt would help on arrival.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't see how having the receipt would help on arrival.
    The receipt shows you bought the watch in the UK (inclusive of VAT) - in case anyone is bothered. It’s not tax evasion to buy a watch in the UK and go on holiday with it and return to the UK. The receipt can be shown on return to UK in case of query by the authorities. That’s my take on it.

I am sure a tax accountant could say if this is not correct.

Martyn you are correct when it comes to returning to the UK but the problem remains on arrival in Spain.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The receipt shows you bought the watch in the UK (inclusive of VAT) - in case anyone is bothered. It’s not tax evasion to buy a watch in the UK and go on holiday with it and return to the UK. The receipt can be shown on return to UK in case of query by the authorities. That’s my take on it.

I am sure a tax accountant could say if this is not correct.
    Not evasion but Spain may suspect you won’t be returning with the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Martyn you are correct when it comes to returning to the UK but the problem remains on arrival in Spain.
    I don't forsee a problem upon arrival in Spain. First off, the likelihood of being picked up by a customs officer is very unlikely and if questioned then the explanation from a tourist arriving on holiday with a gift for his wife to be presented on her birthday is most likely to be accepted.
    Worst case scenario: challenged and explanation not accepted, then leave it with the customs and collect it upon departure back to the UK.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    It’s my wife’s birthday at the end of the month and I’m planning on buying her a watch in the UK. We will be in Spain when it’s her birthday, so I want to take it with me for her to open, but I’m a little worried about having to pay import duty on arrival or return.

This might be a silly question, but If I take the receipt with me from the UK, should that remove any concerns border control might have? An alternative is to remove the watch from the box but that might ruin the moment a little bit.

Any advice is much appreciated!
    Do you live in Spain or just going on holiday? If its just a holiday and you paid VAT and have the proof of purchase I dont see why they would be bothered. If you live in Spain cant you get the tax back before you depart?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Do you live in Spain or just going on holiday? If its just a holiday and you paid VAT and have the proof of purchase I dont see why they would be bothered. If you live in Spain cant you get the tax back before you depart?
    VAT paid is irrelevant- it’s not Spanish (EU) VAT.

VAT paid is irrelevant- it’s not Spanish (EU) VAT.
    OK fill your boots then

@courboy: Let us know how you get on, if you decide to take it.

It's an interesting situation.

You just need to be able to provide proof that you have paid UK VAT on your return to the UK. You are not resident in Spain or moving to live there so the watch will be treated as personal effects (in the same way as your own watch, jewelry, clothes and everything else in your suit cases). Hope the holiday is a great success .

Taking present abroad - import duty risk?

OK fill your boots then
    Idiot.

Idiot.
    Oh dear

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    You just need to be able to provide proof that you have paid UK VAT on your return to the UK. You are not resident in Spain or moving to live there so the watch will be treated as personal effects (in the same way as your own watch, jewelry, clothes and everything else in your suit cases). Hope the holiday is a great success .
    Not quite. It will be brand new, unopened and therefore would come under suspicion from Spanish Customs (I agree with Ralf that the odds are in the OP’s favour, and even then his wife’s passport would show it will indeed be her birthday but Customs Officers are not known for their understanding.
    And I am not sure I would trust them (in Spain, in the UK or anywhere else) to keep it safe and have it available on my return, and it would spoil the surprise anyway.
    I’d prefer (if it came to that) to pay Spanish VAT on the provision that it would be refunded in full on presenting the watch on departure.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thanks for the advice all, I'm in two minds as to whether it's worth the risk in the unlikely event it does cause issues. I'm not a resident of Spain and we are just going for a long weekend, so the alternate option could be to give it to her on the return and just show a photo on the day - slightly anti-climatic!

I would hope that having proof of purchase and proof of VAT being paid in the UK is enough to answer any questions raised, but I also don't fancy paying additional duty in Spain just so she can open the present there. I'll give this a mull over for the next few days; we're not going until the end of the month anyway.

As to the watch, I'm yet to decide! I bought her a Cartier Ballon Bleu with a pink dial last year and she loves it. She also has a Cartier Tank and Rolex Datejust rolesor with a diamond dial, so I am torn between the new rolesor Explorer 124723 (I'm not a TT fan myself but it seems to look good on her!) or a JLC Reverso.

Master
    I'd not risk it, plus you have the worry about keeping the watch in the hotel safe, theft by airport security "i.e. Thiefrow" or being mugged wearing it in Spain. I'd give it to her (fnar! fnar!) before departure then have a smaller pressie for the day itself.

Thanks for the advice all, I'm in two minds as to whether it's worth the risk in the unlikely event it does cause issues. I'm not a resident of Spain and we are just going for a long weekend, so the alternate option could be to give it to her on the return and just show a photo on the day - slightly anti-climatic!

I would hope that having proof of purchase and proof of VAT being paid in the UK is enough to answer any questions raised, but I also don't fancy paying additional duty in Spain just so she can open the present there. I'll give this a mull over for the next few days; we're not going until the end of the month anyway.

As to the watch, I'm yet to decide! I bought her a Cartier Ballon Bleu with a pink dial last year and she loves it. She also has a Cartier Tank and Rolex Datejust rolesor with a diamond dial, so I am torn between the new rolesor Explorer 124723 (I'm not a TT fan myself but it seems to look good on her!) or a JLC Reverso.
    If you are only going for a long weekend would it not be nice for her to receive it the morning you are going away. This would take any worry away with customs and she would also be able to enjoy the new watch over the weekend while on holiday.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 13th March 2022 at 20:54.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just on a side note as you have not bought the watch yet, do you think you will be able to get hold of a Explorer by the end of the month.

As to the the original question, no I would not take a brand new high value watch, boxed etc etc away to Spain.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Just on a side note as you have not bought the watch yet, do you think you will be able to get hold of a Explorer by the end of the month.

As to the the original question, no I would not take a brand new high value watch, boxed etc etc away to Spain.
    Will definitely not be able to buy one through the AD, so I'll have to pay above RRP and go grey unfortunately.

Will definitely not be able to buy one through the AD, so I'll have to pay above RRP and go grey unfortunately.
    I don’t think you will find there will be much of a wait for a Rolex Explorer 124273 from an AD.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 13th March 2022 at 22:11.

Apprentice
    Chances of being stopped by a customs officer?

In hundreds of flights to various destinations around the world then back to UK; I've not been stopped once.

If you are genuinely worried - just post the packaging to the hotel in advance. Keep the watch on you.

I currently have nine watches waiting for me in the UK. I live in Indonesia and this was to avoid some punishing taxes that came in on the import of 'luxury goods' soon after COVID started. Can be as high as 90%.

I'll bring them back with me on next visit. Wear one, wife will wear one and we'll put the rest in hand and checked luggage.

I will be boxing up the..boxes..and sending them here labelled as 'packaging'

Receipts and guarantees will be sent separately.

For one or two watches I wouldn't bother, but we won't fit 9 boxes in our luggage anyway! I guess there is a tiny, tiny chance of being stopped - luggage is x-rayed before you get out to arrivals hall.

If you have a return ticket from Spain - I can't imagine you would have an issue anyway.

I just wouldn't worry about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I don’t think you will find there will be much of a wait for a Rolex Explorer 124273 from an AD.
    I'm not sure you would get one before the end of the month. My wait was over a year at my AD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw100 View Post

In hundreds of flights to various destinations around the world then back to UK; I've not been stopped once.

If you are genuinely worried - just post the packaging to the hotel in advance. Keep the watch on you.

I currently have nine watches waiting for me in the UK. I live in Indonesia and this was to avoid some punishing taxes that came in on the import of 'luxury goods' soon after COVID started. Can be as high as 90%.

I'll bring them back with me on next visit. Wear one, wife will wear one and we'll put the rest in hand and checked luggage.

For one or two watches I wouldn't bother, but we won't fit 9 boxes in our luggage anyway! I guess there is a tiny, tiny chance of being stopped - luggage is x-rayed before you get out to arrivals hall.

If you have a return ticket from Spain - I can't imagine you would have an issue anyway.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Wow!
    I know. Multiple tax evasion.

As for the OP’s problem, some people really do make life difficult for themselves.

Blog Entries

Did you mean to post this on a public forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I know. Multiple tax evasion.

As for the OP’s problem, some people really do make life difficult for themselves.
    For sure. Problem solved: I won't be taking the watch with me. Too much risk and potential hassle; she'll just have to wait until we return!

TBF, unlikely Indonesian tax authorities will see it here (let alone know who the poster is.).

Apprentice
    Yes, I did.

What could happen?

Indonesian tax officer from a particular airport with an (very very unlikely) interest in watches likes to read a UK watch forum.

Sees my post, gets his boss to run this up the chain to the Head of Customs to authorise a hack on a foreign website to identify an individual who registered on the site in the UK years ago.

Takes this info and then runs a search for this person, despite having only a name and an old BT email address that BT stopped supporting three years ago.

No passport number, no address...nothing. Runs facial recognition programs that they have to buy in from another country at great expense. No hits....this person has never been on facebook or instagram. He is like a ghost.

Officer works late in to the night for weeks. Barely sees his family. Empty coffee cups litter his desk.

Boss, please just give me another 48 hours on this case, I know he is out there somewhere.....goddam it where are you?!

Wait!! A partial hit from LinkedIn...could this be the guy?

Puts out a screenshot to all Police stations across Indonesia, so all 500,000 officers can check out their area for this felon.

After 6 nerve wracking months gets a report back - an officer in Bali has coffee on occasion with someone he thinks might be our man!

Tax officer has a covert team installed at various locations near cafe. After a few weeks: "Control, we have eyes on the target, I repeat confirmed visual - its our man!"

Tail him back to his house. Organise a team of BRIMOB, blow the gates. "Get on the floor, get down...NOW!!"

Cut open the safe, find the boxes in the loft, receipts in a folder somewhere. Got you now!

"Sir you have avoided duty on these watches"

"I know, sorry Sir"

"Okay, well please pay now"

"Okay I have paid Sir"

"Thank you Sir..goodbye"

Medals, promotion....money well spent.

You have me worried now!!! How do I delete my post?

That phone company van over the road, its been there a couple of days now. Strange?

If you feel the heat around the corner...

Yes, I did.

What could happen?

Indonesian tax officer from a particular airport with an (very very unlikely) interest in watches likes to read a UK watch forum.

Sees my post, gets his boss to run this up the chain to the Head of Customs to authorise a hack on a foreign website to identify an individual who registered on the site in the UK years ago.

Takes this info and then runs a search for this person, despite having only a name and an old BT email address that BT stopped supporting three years ago.

No passport number, no address...nothing. Runs facial recognition programs that they have to buy in from another country at great expense. No hits....this person has never been on facebook or instagram. He is like a ghost.

Officer works late in to the night for weeks. Barely sees his family. Empty coffee cups litter his desk.

Boss, please just give me another 48 hours on this case, I know he is out there somewhere.....goddam it where are you?!

Puts out a screenshot to all Police stations across Indonesia, so all 500,000 officers can check out their area for this felon.

After 6 nerve wracking months gets a report back - an officer in Bali has coffee on occasion with someone he thinks might be our man!

Tax officer has a covert team installed at various locations near cafe. After a few weeks: "Control, we have eyes on the target, I repeat confirmed visual - its our man!"

Tail him back to his house. Organise a team of BRIMOB, blow the gates. "Get on the floor, get down...NOW!!"

Cut open the safe, find the boxes in the loft, receipts in a folder somewhere. Got you now!

"I know, sorry Sir"

"Okay I have paid Sir"

"Thank you Sir..goodbye"

That phone company van over the road, its been there a couple of days now. Strange?

You couldn’t make it up …

Master
    I did similar when we went to Dubai in 2019 with a diamond pendant for my wife’s birthday.

Carried it in hand luggage and was pulled to one side by UK security as I went through departures. They were very discreet and we stepped to one side for me to explain as it was to be a surprise. Once explained I was waved through without any hassle. I did have the receipt with me.

No issues at Dubai at all and no issues on return to UK.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    If you are only going for a long weekend would it not be nice for her to receive it the morning you are going away. This would take any worry away with customs and she would also be able to enjoy the new watch over the weekend while on holiday.
    This is simple and to me pretty obvious. Why make worries for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I did similar when we went to Dubai in 2019 with a diamond pendant for my wife’s birthday.

Carried it in hand luggage and was pulled to one side by UK security as I went through departures. They were very discreet and we stepped to one side for me to explain as it was to be a surprise. Once explained I was waved through without any hassle. I did have the receipt with me.

No issues at Dubai at all and no issues on return to UK.
    Why would UK security even care that you were taking jewellery abroad?

Why would UK security even care that you were taking jewellery abroad?
    They were perhaps only interested in the contents of the box.

I'm guessing of course - but are you suggesting he challenged them for a reason?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

I'm guessing of course - but are you suggesting he challenged them for a reason?
    Yes, could just be the contents of the box.

I'm not suggesting anything (and who challenged who?), just curious as to on what grounds they might investigate. Money laundering perhaps?

Master
    Yes, I did.

What could happen?

"I know, sorry Sir"

"Okay I have paid Sir"

"Thank you Sir..goodbye"

lol
    About right
    A lot of panty wetting for no reason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

They were indeed curious as to what was in the box, I did expect to be challenged, hence carrying the receipt, and did not initiate any action.

Yes, I did.
    What could happen?....

Craftsman
    Did this last year with no issues.
    Box in hold luggage, watch in case with others & 1 on my wrist.

Not a soul at customs either side and people merrily walking through the something to declare side to avoid a slow plod... still not a soul to be seen.

Craftsman
    Yes, I did.

What could happen?

"I know, sorry Sir"

"Okay I have paid Sir"

"Thank you Sir..goodbye"

Brilliant! Made me smile :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I did.

What could happen?

"I know, sorry Sir"

"Okay I have paid Sir"

"Thank you Sir..goodbye"

Can this please be nominated for post of the year?

Apprentice
    Can this please be nominated for post of the year?
    Please don't.

When you operate in the shadows like me....publicity of any kind is really not welcome.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I did.

What could happen?

Splendid