closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Release Season 2022: Hopes and Predictions

Buying a set of watches all the same only in different colours, who would be crazy enough to do that

Quote Originally Posted by donkertraz View Post
    Live on the official Swatch site now. Does indeed confirm that 3 London stores and 1 Edinburgh store will be stocking.
    They could sell millions of these. They could revive a brand that's moribund in lots of markets...

But no.

They're going to make it a PITA to get one. Stupid Cnuts... Well, that's me out, damned if I'm traipsing to sodding London for a cheap plastic watch!

Give me convenience OR give me death!

I may be traipsing the arduous 10 minute walk to my nearest stockist on Saturday

Fill your boots and let me know which one you'll be selling to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I may be traipsing the arduous 10 minute walk to my nearest stockist on Saturday

I so hope there's a massive queue when you get there!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    They could sell millions of these. They could revive a brand that's moribund in lots of markets...

But no.

They're going to make it a PITA to get one. Stupid Cnuts... Well, that's me out, damned if I'm traipsing to sodding London for a cheap plastic watch!

Give me convenience OR give me death!
    Another release perfectly suited to a high percentage of them ending up on e-bay by mid Saturday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Another release perfectly suited to a high percentage of them ending up on e-bay by mid Saturday afternoon.
    Oh yes.

Amazing how the watchcos decry the insane inflation of desirable models on the grey market, the profiteering &c., and yet knowingly adopt sales policies that drive it! Epic hypocrisy.

Oh well, they're saving me £500, I suppose I should be grateful.

Craftsman
    Would want to see them in the flesh but torn between the Moon and Mars…
    Still own a few swatches from the 90’s and at £207 I’d be very tempted, but the whole limited stores thing is a bit of a pain, no idea if they are going to be limited, or hard to get hold of, wouldn’t really want to book a trip to LDN specifically and find they are out of stock.
    https://www.swatch.com/en-gb/bioceramic-moonswatch.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Buying a set of watches all the same only in different colours, who would be crazy enough to do that
    Cannon ball time for you Ken.
    Get the speedos ready.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Cannon ball time for you Ken.
    Get the speedos ready.
    London and Edinburgh are probably an equal distance from me, well probably the latter is further away. I have convinced myself who wants a plastic quartz Speedmaster. They are very nice and a set representing the planets certainly appeals, but I will fight hard to resist on this occasion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Any idea what the size is?

Quite a bold move. Attract a whole new audience / upset the existing brand fan bois.

Either way I quite like it but too big … 42mm and 13.25mm thick.

According to the Swatch site…

Follows the exact design and dimensions of the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch.

Master
    Is this a badly timely April 1st ?

Journeyman
    I really like a few of those and may have been tempted to get a couple. But not if they’re artificially making them limited by only selling them out of 3 stores in London. Crazy! Do they think they’re Rolex?!

I thought that I’d read a comment where they’d been marketed as much more accessible and available. Hardly!

I don’t think they’ll damage the Omega market though.
    Those who were realistically likely to buy a Speedmaster are unlikely to change their mind and settle for a £200 battery powered swatch.
    I see this as tapping into a new segment of the market that was otherwise untouched by the Swatch group.

Also priced the same as an Apple Watch SE, which is doubtless deliberate. I'm sure a bit of Omega branding, some spacey allusions, and the (overused word alert…) iconic design will draw some away from the smart watch, which is surely Swatch's main competition.

Release Season 2022: Hopes and Predictions

I have been told by my OB and Fratello’s RJB also states that there is no cased full set for sale. The case shown in Omega stores is for show only as apparently only in select Swatch stores. They are in the permanent collection so not limited and will most likely be up for online sales in a few months!

Plus they will limit people to only 2 watches to stop scalpers buying all versions in one go so they say.

I quite like them and think they are funky and may pick up one or two but I do think a limited cased option is a missed opportunity for them!

These are the only stores listed as holding them in the UK

PS I did enjoy Ryan’s usual need to be first led him to posting a fake mock up. C’mon on Ryan…curation!

A Speedy beater watch - I'll try one.

When Speedy Pros were $1500 or so and parts available from Otto Frei and Cousins lots of folks swapped dials, bezels and hand sets to create one of a kind watches. I can see that happening with this line as well, especially since they are a break-and-throwaway price. I am guessing non-running parts watches will end up on eBay and sell successfully.

I always wanted a yellow dial watch...

These Swatches are disgusting. What's next...a plastic DSSD?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    These Swatches are disgusting. What's next...a plastic DSSD?
    Inshallah!

Master
    Who on earth (or the moon) is bidding on this?!? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304410425...gAAOSwIFxiO5WT

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    Who on earth (or the moon) is bidding on this?!? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304410425...gAAOSwIFxiO5WT
    People with fake accounts.

Journeyman
    That listing contradicts what we’ve heard so far, does it not? It says it WILL BE limited. I thought that all things so far have suggested that they won’t be limited runs?

I do hope that they relax the ‘in store only’ approach after a few weeks of hype and put them online, as I’d love to get a few of the designs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Also priced the same as an Apple Watch SE, which is doubtless deliberate.
    That, and the fact they're being sold out of flagship Swatch stores only would also explain the Saturday release, which had me puzzled.

Master
    These will apparently become a mainstream release.. they won't be a limited edition. Needless to say I plan to pick up a couple once they become widely available and the scalpers have finished ruining the fun for everyone.

I think this is a master stroke.. they're going to sell an absolute shit load.

I'm a former Speedmaster Pro owner (purchased and re-sold on this very forum no less) but financial circumstances mean I'm nowhere near in a position to acquire another. This will scratch the itch for me until such a time as I can afford one again.

Craftsman
    Love it! Will chance my arm at my local Swatch boutique on Saturday.

Enjoyed looking at the press pictures online this morning, picking out my favourites (Neptune, Jupiter, Mercury).

Full disclosure: Big Omega fan, big Moonwatch fan!

Plenty of threads that I could have posted this in, but I'll pop it here. You know how there are watches that look better in photos than in the flesh? I have a suspicion that these MoonSwatches will fall into that category. Something about the plastic being used? Don't get me wrong - I still think they're a masterstroke, and I'll probably get one when the hype has died down! But I'll be very interested to see one in the plastic, and compare that to the PR photos.

Master
    There's a video of someone unboxing the 'Mission to Mars' Alaska Project homage on YouTube and yeah.. it does look extremely plasticy. I'm idly curious if a nicer quality Omega velcro strap and metal fittings, or even a Nato or aftermarket rallye strap would improve the look quite substantially.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    A Speedy beater watch - I'll try one.

When Speedy Pros were $1500 or so and parts available from Otto Frei and Cousins lots of folks swapped dials, bezels and hand sets to create one of a kind watches. I can see that happening with this line as well, especially since they are a break-and-throwaway price. I am guessing non-running parts watches will end up on eBay and sell successfully.

I always wanted a yellow dial watch...

I like that! The yellow case is a bit much on the actual release but that's a nice compromise.

Journeyman
    It's going to be really interesting to see how easy these are to open up and service, as it'd be great if this spawned a mod-scene.
    I think it's cool that the Mars edition is a bit of an Alaska Project mash up. And the Jupiter taking inspiration from the Ultraman.

I'm just crossing my fingers that they make these available to buy online soon, as I'm not due to go to London anytime soon. And even then the 3 Swatch shops will no doubt sell out on Saturday and be low on stock for the foreseeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Plenty of threads that I could have posted this in, but I'll pop it here. You know how there are watches that look better in photos than in the flesh? I have a suspicion that these MoonSwatches will fall into that category. Something about the plastic being used? Don't get me wrong - I still think they're a masterstroke, and I'll probably get one when the hype has died down! But I'll be very interested to see one in the plastic, and compare that to the PR photos.
    I think you could be right about this. Swatch is very lightweight and plasticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    It's going to be really interesting to see how easy these are to open up and service, as it'd be great if this spawned a mod-scene.
    I think it's cool that the Mars edition is a bit of an Alaska Project mash up. And the Jupiter taking inspiration from the Ultraman.

I'm just crossing my fingers that they make these available to buy online soon, as I'm not due to go to London anytime soon. And even then the 3 Swatch shops will no doubt sell out on Saturday and be low on stock for the foreseeable.
    Have you ever tried to get into a Swatch? You destroy the thing opening it up. The only service you can really do is change the battery.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Have you ever tried to get into a Swatch? You destroy the thing opening it up. The only service you can really do is change the battery.
    Haha brilliant! Should be fun seeing all of the 'Spares or Repairs' listings in that case!

Would love to see Nomos reproduce the Club Dunkel in 36mm but have their new sports bracelet (with end links) released also.

Maybe see what Tudor have in store for their new explorer watch (as per their insta feed).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    It's going to be really interesting to see how easy these are to open up and service
    It's a monobloc (one piece) case with a battery hatch.

I’m waiting for next years Snoopy model.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    It's a monobloc (one piece) case with a battery hatch.
    A Chuck it in the bin job then. Nice… that’s a real shame as it could have opened up a fun little mod scene.
    Ah well, it is only a £200 plastic watch. I shouldn’t have expected too much in that space really.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think the only watch I'd be interested in is a Black Bay 58 GMT
    With date. Even without the GMT, but put a bloomin date on it.

And not at 4!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

And not at 4!!!

Although I've definitely become a no-date fan these days, a GMT has to have a date. Not sure I can think of a GMT watch that doesn't have a date?

I'd be keen for the return of a 24 hour dialled Navitimer Cosmonaute.
    As long as it's at a reasonable size. None of this 45mm nonense.
    The old panda one was right up my street but rarely available on the 2nd hand market for anything resembling a decent price.

IWC is running some Instagram posts that reference Pantone colours. I saw one earlier today that mentioned a green colour. When I Googled the colour name I found a page showing a green ceramic Pilot chrono - looks good to me:

I can't seem to find the IWC Instagram post about the green colour now so maybe it's been deleted as the image of the watch had been leaked. The page I found also mentioned a white ceramic chrono but I couldn't find a picture.

Master

And not at 4!!!

No thanks. The BB58 is perfectly fine as Tudor have released it. Of course, if they want to add a GMT, then it has to have a date.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

And not at 4!!!

Plenty of date watches out there, don't go ruining the BB58 with this heresy!

Journeyman
    IWC should hire Swatch’s photographer. They made the MoonSwatch look like it was high quality ceramic rather than plasticky from what people are describing in person.

That IWC case looks very cheap. Even though I know it isn’t and will no doubt look much better in person. Just don’t think that picture does it justice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    That’s very cool!

Question

IWC is running some Instagram posts that reference Pantone colours. I saw one earlier today that mentioned a green colour. When I Googled the colour name I found a page showing a green ceramic Pilot chrono - looks good to me:

I can't seem to find the IWC Instagram post about the green colour now so maybe it's been deleted as the image of the watch had been leaked. The page I found also mentioned a white ceramic chrono but I couldn't find a picture.

Is that a new release for W&W next week?

I think it might be - I don't think I've seen this model before. I can't be sure though - I just found the picture on a random page after Googling the name of the colour in the IWC ad. I can't find it again though as I can't remember the name of the colour and it looks like the IWC Instagram post has been deleted!

Craftsman
    I think it might be - I don't think I've seen this model before. I can't be sure though - I just found the picture on a random page after Googling the name of the colour in the IWC ad. I can't find it again though as I can't remember the name of the colour and it looks like the IWC Instagram post has been deleted!
    IWC have been posting on social media about woodland and a particular green colour today, as part of their Watches and Wonders preview, so looks like you’re on the right track!

I love the look of that. I know Damasko and Sinn have a huge following on here but to me, IWC makes the best looking pilots’ watches.

I completely agree - I think they're great quality and look really refined as pilots go. I love my Pilot's chrono and the proportions of the 41mm case are much better for me than the older 43mm versions:

The page I found suggested that the green ceramic model will be 44.5mm diameter which is too big for me unfortunately. IWC are also taking about the Mojave colour in adverts - I'm hoping for a 41mm chrono or a 39mm time only Pilot in that material. Their ceramic watches do tend to be bigger though so I suspect I'll be out of luck.

IWC could well do a time only pilots in these colours too, as the ltd run Laureus last year was blue ceramic. It looked great on the wrist.

Looks like the colour options are Mojave (beige), the green above and white…