closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garden shed. Tearing down and replacing

Blog Entries

Garden shed. Tearing down and replacing

We have an old and dilapitated garden shed. 50 yrs ago, it started its life as a chicken coop XXL. Measuring 13.5 x 4.5 meters (and 3.2 m high). Over the the years, its use changed from chicken coop to holiday/summer cottage. But not in a good way. Sure, the was running water, there's (still) electrics. But it was all done on a shoestring. 50 yrs for a building made from fir planks, is a lot. On the roof there's asbestos... Time to take action!

When we bought the house, we decided to leave it on our grounds until we'd figured out what to do with it. Now, as said: time for action! We contacted the city council about what's allowed and what not. Living in a rural conservation area, things are very 'narrow' when it comes to the rules. For once, we were lucky... This coop was built in 1970, together with the house, there's a 'historical angle': we're allowed to take it down and rebuild it exactly(!!!) like it was. The fact that we want to have the asbestos removed, caught the city council's attention and that made things a lot easier.

We made plans to:
    - have new plumbing installed from the house to the shed; sewer to the main sewer near the house; new electrics, new water and data cable from the house to the shed
    - tear down the inside until we have only the beams, planks and asbestos roof (all structural parts)
    - have the asbestos removed by a certified company (expensive!!!!)
    - have the outer shell etc removed and...
    - commission a contractor to build us a new shed with some features like a bathroom, small kitchen, bedroom and a fireplace.

We found a local contractor with a proven track record (he did the horse barn for our neighbours across the road and it looks fab) and he has time to build the new shed in April and May! So time to start demolishing the interior. Everything that's 'out' does not have to be cleaned by the asbestos removal people. That saves us tons of money.

I'll take pics from time to time; so if you fancy a series of postings about the adventures, watch this space! I'lll try to include details.

A few weeks back:

The back:

20 mins. busy demolishing:

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 12th March 2022 at 13:14.

that aint a shed thats a chalet , you must think the shed i keep my bike in (8x6) is a jewellery box :P

Craftsman
    I’m pretty sure I attended school lessons as a kid in worse looking huts than that!!!

That’s a sizeable shed and will make an excellent outbuilding when the replacement is complete. Be a little careful about the internal boards and perhaps have your asbestos chap have a look. I worked on a similar project and the internal boards contained asbestos. Those wide profile timber floor boards might be worth saving and renovating too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    That’s a sizeable shed and will make an excellent outbuilding when the replacement is complete. Be a little careful about the internal boards and perhaps have your asbestos chap have a look. I worked on a similar project and the internal boards contained asbestos. Those wide profile timber floor boards might be worth saving and renovating too.
    Id agree those boards look to be worth saving if possible

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips, guys!

The asbestos guy did perform a survey (that's also tearing away some boards) and he came to the conclusion that the only asbestos is on the roof. I don't know the situation in the UK, but here it's worth getting a few guys in for a quotation: there was 30% between the lowest and highest quote!

I'm taking all sorts of pics (won't show all). The top (the triangle at the top) of one of the trusses has been on fire because someone had installed a fireplace chimney too close to the wood... Second, there are signs of a wasps nest between the various layers of panels. Luckily empty now. The walls are plasterboard over sheets of melamine (dunno if that's the correct term in English). Behind the combined plasterboard/melamine there's styrofoam board as insulation! In short: a lot of work before I've gutted the internals of the shed. Well, I have about a month before the asbestos removal people come in. I am taking my time. For now, I already know that my 9m3 skip is too small to hold all the rubbish.

We (my wife and I) have done up various homes in the past. One of the things we've learned is that you must always finish your day's work with clearing all the debris. Make sure that you start in a clean environment the following day. So I did! Ultimately I went to the local hardware store for new bags for the Kärcher vacuum cleaner and I've bought 20 debris bags. Just to be sure that I can clean everything every evening.
    The floor you see is laminate flooring. And that's shot as well. Under the laminate flooring, some DPO (Dumb Previous Owner) has laid 30x30cm concrete outdoor tiles... The tiles will come out (for the terrace outside, later this year). Inside there will be an insulated concrete floor with electric floor heating. The jury is still out on what will become the flooring for the new construction.

Menno

Electric underfloor heating could be expensive to use. It’s not efficient if you turn it on and off, and takes time to warm up a room from the moment you turn it on… isn’t there an incentive for a heat pump for example?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    It's one of the things we're discussing at the moment. I haven't found an Excel sheet or example etc where I can fill in the numbers and see the outcome. Mind you, it's not going to be used extensively. And there will be a log burner as well. We have about 35m3 of firewood waiting to do its magic.

Still, it's a good idea that you point it out. Thanks.

Menno

Master
    Looks like a great project. I'm sure the finished article will be exceptional. I love the use of the term shed for what is essentially an apartment!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Looks like a great project. I'm sure the finished article will be exceptional. I love the use of the term shed for what is essentially an apartment!
    A friend from the US called a Mother in Law annex... Perhaps for that reason only, the heating should not be too good.

Master
    Yes, we'd maybe call it a Granny Flat in the UK. It'll be good to watch the build progress.

Blog Entries
    Slowly but surely, the interior is dismantled. One 9 m3 skip filled to the top and replaced with a 12 m3 skip…

At the same time, outside, a company has dug a trench for a new sewer pipe, new tylene tube for water, power cable and internet cable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Wow, exciting project. May I ask where you are and what the building will be used for in future?

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I've on the Continent. The Netherlands. It will be used as a place for my wife for her painting and music (violin and cello; not the instruments you want to hear during practice hours) and there will be a shower + bedroom as well for my sons when they're home from the uni.

Our house is rather small on a large stretch of land. Small house, lots of ground is what we wanted. Downside is that there's no spare bedroom in the house. We could have opt for an house extension, but that would be more costly than this solution. (And with an extension, I still would have to enjoy the sound of the cello...)

Fantastic thread! Got to admit, when you said shed in the title, I was thinking it was going to be something like mine, room for a lawnmower and some gardening stuff, not somewhere with bedrooms! Looking forward to watching progress though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I've on the Continent. The Netherlands. It will be used as a place for my wife for her painting and music (violin and cello; not the instruments you want to hear during practice hours) and there will be a shower + bedroom as well for my sons when they're home from the uni.

Our house is rather small on a large stretch of land. Small house, lots of ground is what we wanted. Downside is that there's no spare bedroom in the house. We could have opt for an house extension, but that would be more costly than this solution. (And with an extension, I still would have to enjoy the sound of the cello...)
    I’m surprised you haven’t added a ‘bunk room’ to the garage/man cave yet or is this phase 2

Blog Entries

Garden shed. Tearing down and replacing

A bunkroom in my garage would be nice, but a lot more work than this project. Granted, the garage is large enough to house a bunkroom. And now, with my TR3A out (it’s for sale), the room inside is massive. But not for long. I have my eye on something else already.

Last edited by thieuster; 16th March 2022 at 12:30.

Blog Entries
    An update; pics by my wife who's back from the US and fully engaged tearing the place down. (We've a proven track record of tearing down homes and rebuilding them...). She pulled out another big crowbar from the workshop, calling it 'Old Faithful' and she pointed out scratches on the bar naming them after 'campaigns' (our previous addresses where the bar was used).

Until now, we've filled a 9m3 skip and a 12m3 skip. Tomorrow I'll order another 9 or 12M3 skip... hopefully that will be enough! And I've bought myself a Makita reciprocating saw with a 'demolition saw blade'. I should have bought that ages ago. What a success! Once again, you never have enough tools!

Anyway, some pics. Taken an hour ago.

(The toilet has been disconnected already and the toilet drain has been blocked by a professional)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Blog Entries
    Done with clearing out. Time for the asbestos clean-up crew to come over and do their job.

I’ve kept the door posts in place; the window side of the barn is ‘iffy’: all leans forward onto those window frames

Blog Entries
    A few days ago, a certified company came to remove the roof: asbestos cement. Lots of paperwork, lots of rules. A few hrs later, all was removed and we got an ‘all clear’. Today and tomorrow removing 50m2 slabs. To be reused as a terrace.

Blog Entries
    Lots of work has been done. We're faced with strict building regulations here in the forest. We are not allowed to tear the whole thing down; we need to replace the bad pieces and renovate the garden shed. So we did: I have tons of pics of the 50 y/o shed on my telephone that tell the story about the bad condition of the wood. The builders are replacing all bad things and keep the good things. The brick wall/foundation where the wood frame is on, is in perfect condition. As if it was placed yesterday! Over the years, the ground around the shed has come up (leafs, leafs and leafs make a good & fertile forest ground), so that's going to be dug out again, sohe that we can see the bricks again. That prevents water splashing up against the wood.

About the wood. On our grounds are a lot of douglas trees. Not really the sort of wood that's native to this part of Europe. I had a lot of those trees felled and a local company came over with a mobile saw mill. They cut the wood into planks and in return, I received wood (dried) for the barn!

Pics are from earlier this week. Tomorrow a new floor, the roof on Monday

Blog Entries
    March 12:

Today:

Wow - looks fantastic! What a big space.