closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HMS Endurance Located

HMS Endurance Located

After what must have been an incredibly difficult search, they have finally found the wreck of HMS Endurance, Shackletons expedition vessel lost in Antarctica over 100 years ago.

Really looking forward to seeing more of this - the wreck itself is almost intact, and to be found 100 years to the day of Shackletons funeral, is amazing in itself.

There's a pretty well made drame starring Kenneth Branagh whic is worth a look if you haven't seen it before.

https://endurance22.org/

I was coming here to post the same, incredible photos, I hope a documentary on it is in the works.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Astonishingly well preserved

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    An absolutely stunning find. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Astonishingly well preserved

That's incredible!

Wow!!!!

Terrific news. Looks in amazing condition.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I'm not surprised by the preservation of what remains but I'm astonished by how much of it appears to be intact, photographs of her prior to the sinking suggested she was far more broken up than the latest images show.

Shackleton's leadership in rescuing all his crew, which included an 800-mile open boat journey to South Georgia is truly one of the greatest survival stories ever.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

HMS Endurance Located

The pictures/footage are stunning and somewhat eerie.

Master
    Wow stunning absolutely amazing.

Craftsman
    Incredible. I wonder how deep it is? I read a while ago that the sea is very deep in that area, so that is an amazing find.

Edit: apparently 10,000 ft/3 km deep. At that depth, there probably is very little water movement, so it has not broken up over the years.

BBBC news reported that it had been found at a depth of 10,000 feet somewhere north of Antarctica!

No shit Sherlock

Unbelievable!! That's going to be a seriously good documentary.

What a stunning state of preservation. The Kenneth Branagh film is titled: Shackleton and is excellent.

I'm just listening to Dan Snows History Hit.
    I'm new to it but he was on the boat when they found it.

Amazing photos and video - this will make a fascinating documentary.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

My brother owns a cottage once owned by Shackleton - the woodwork on the stern looks better preserved than his kitchen window tbh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's absolutely fantastic news and achievement.

One hundred years after Shackleton’s death, Endurance was found at a depth of 3008 metres*in the Weddell Sea, within the search area defined by the expedition team before its departure from Cape Town, and approximately four miles south of the position*originally recorded by*Captain Worsley.

The documentary is apparently set to be aired towards the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Master
    Just "Endurance", no HMS.

Master
    Found not too far from the last known coordinates recorded by one of the crew from the Endurance. The underwater pictures are incredible, there’s crockery visible on the deck from the crew.

One of the most astonishing things I have ever stumbled across was whilst caravanning in Tralee, Co. Kerry.
    We went for a scenic drive around Dingle. On the way, we passed a pub called "The South Pole Inn". I remarked to my wife how unusual a name it was.
    On our return leg I decided to call in at this pub for a meal; it was in a hamlet called Annascaul. I was curious as to the name of the pub.
    The story was that a local man name of Tom Crean had enlisted in the Royal Navy around the turn of the 19th/20th century, and ended up on the series of expeditions to the South Pole as crewman with Scott and Shackleton.
    He was on Endurance when it was trapped and eventually sank. Along with Shackleton and the ship's captain, an expert navigator, he crewed the small boat that made a voyage of many hundreds of miles to South Georgia to call for emergency rescue of the bulk of the ship's crew, all of whom iirc were eventually succesfully rescued.
    He left the Navy in 1920 to find that a retired Royal Navy man did not go down too well with certain sections of the Cork and Kerry society.
    So he built his pub, kept his head down, and led a quiet humble life until it was ended just before the 2nd World War by a gangrenous appendix ( I feel his pain, having survived this pernicious internal malfunction myself).
    After his death a search of his belongings revealed bravery medals, ship's photographs, Antarctic clothing, and loads of written accounts of his times on the Antarctic Expeditions, about which his family had little or no idea.
    All these plus other related items since donated are displayed inside the pub.
    Do not under any circumstance not visit The South Pole Inn, Annascaul, if within driving distance. You will never forget it.

Craftsman
    https://interestingthingsexplainedwe...eteen-part-one

If you have a spare 40 minutes, either doing the washing up or a car journey, this is a podcast worth listening to about the Endurance Expedition. Informative, but with elements of humour and a very casual nature. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    https://interestingthingsexplainedwe...eteen-part-one

If you have a spare 40 minutes, either doing the washing up or a car journey, this is a podcast worth listening to about the Endurance Expedition. Informative, but with elements of humour and a very casual nature. Enjoy!
    Thanks for that👍

BTW - do you work in a hotel or canteen? 😉

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Thanks for that

BTW - do you work in a hotel or canteen? 
    Ha, the wife usually does her best to use every cooking utensil, pot, pan, and dish available when she cooks.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    Ha, the wife usually does her best to use every cooking utensil, pot, pan, and dish available when she cooks.
    My other half is similarly "gifted"
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

How do they do that? A four ingredient meal takes six saucepans, two frying pans, a baking tray, sieve, and at least three spatulas and wooden spoons apiece.

Just announced for late 2022: the Bremont Endurance special edition, with real hull fragments embedded in the rotor

Master
    I was fortunate enough 2 years ago to get an invite to the National Library of Scotland for an event where many of the original glass-plate photos and memoribilia of the expedition were shown. Truly fascinating seeing the original film footage. Added to that was meeting Shackleton's surviving family including his Grandaughter. It's amazing that the ship has been found!!

I was lucky enough to go to Antarctica three years ago. We called in at the South Georgia whaling station that Shackleton reached after his boat voyage from Elephant Island - and where he was subsequently buried after his heart attack on his way south an another expedition in 1922.

Below you will see a photo of his grave and after that a pic of Elephant Island which we passed on our way south (the stormy pic).

Also shown (at 2 and 5, sorry about disorder) are shots of the interior of South Georgia. Shackleton and his men landed on the south of the island and had to cross those mountains to reach the whaling station.

Remarkable men indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an amazing trip and photographs, davide. I'd love to follow in Shackleton's footsteps one day.

I'm loving the lenticular clouds in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Yes, certainly some amazing photos and I'm sure it was an equally amazing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'm loving the lenticular clouds in this one.
    I'm loving that they have a name and you knew it!

Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    I was lucky enough to go to Antarctica three years ago. We called in at the South Georgia whaling station that Shackleton reached after his boat voyage from Elephant Island - and where he was subsequently buried after his heart attack on his way south an another expedition in 1922.

Below you will see a photo of his grave and after that a pic of Elephant Island which we passed on our way south (the stormy pic).

Also shown (at 2 and 5, sorry about disorder) are shots of the interior of South Georgia. Shackleton and his men landed on the south of the island and had to cross those mountains to reach the whaling station.

Remarkable men indeed.
    Great pictures and I'm sure a trip of a lifetime. If it was an organised charter, any chance of some details as that would be firmly on the list of things to do in (or, frankly before) full retirement.

Master
    [QUOTE=davide;5951381]I was lucky enough to go to Antarctica three years ago. We called in at the South Georgia whaling station that Shackleton reached after his boat voyage from Elephant Island - and where he was subsequently buried after his heart attack on his way south an another expedition in 1922.

Remarkable men indeed.

Very good photo's. They brought back so many memories for me.

In 1985 I was posted to the Falklands to carryout a four month tour of duty with the Army. Whilst down in the South Atlantic we sailed to South Georgia. It was the middle of winter so the island was covered by a blanket of snow and Shackleton's headstone could be hardly seen.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    One of the most astonishing things I have ever stumbled across was whilst caravanning in Tralee, Co. Kerry.
    We went for a scenic drive around Dingle. On the way, we passed a pub called "The South Pole Inn". I remarked to my wife how unusual a name it was.
    On our return leg I decided to call in at this pub for a meal; it was in a hamlet called Annascaul. I was curious as to the name of the pub.
    The story was that a local man name of Tom Crean had enlisted in the Royal Navy around the turn of the 19th/20th century, and ended up on the series of expeditions to the South Pole as crewman with Scott and Shackleton.
    He was on Endurance when it was trapped and eventually sank. Along with Shackleton and the ship's captain, an expert navigator, he crewed the small boat that made a voyage of many hundreds of miles to South Georgia to call for emergency rescue of the bulk of the ship's crew, all of whom iirc were eventually succesfully rescued.
    He left the Navy in 1920 to find that a retired Royal Navy man did not go down too well with certain sections of the Cork and Kerry society.
    So he built his pub, kept his head down, and led a quiet humble life until it was ended just before the 2nd World War by a gangrenous appendix ( I feel his pain, having survived this pernicious internal malfunction myself).
    After his death a search of his belongings revealed bravery medals, ship's photographs, Antarctic clothing, and loads of written accounts of his times on the Antarctic Expeditions, about which his family had little or no idea.
    All these plus other related items since donated are displayed inside the pub.
    Do not under any circumstance not visit The South Pole Inn, Annascaul, if within driving distance. You will never forget it.
    See also Frank Worsley: "...Worsley, Shackleton and four others sailed the 22.5-foot (6.9 m) lifeboat James Caird some 800 miles (1,300 km) across the stormy South Atlantic Ocean, eventually arriving at their intended destination, South Georgia. Worsley's navigation skills were crucial to the safe arrival of the James Caird..."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    The story was that a local man name of Tom Crean...
    Have you read Unsung Hero? Recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unsung-Hero...7281685&sr=8-1

Incredible, after such adventures and experiences, that he returned to Ireland and didn’t talk about it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Have you read Unsung Hero? Recommended.
    Thanks for the tip, looks great. That's an easy birthday present organised for my father and a good read for me when he's done with it!