closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JLC Grand Taille size

Master

JLC Grand Taille size

I have the opportunity to buy a JLC that measures 49mm lug to lug x 30mm wide and it is 9cc high.

I have a simple question - would this watch look daft on a 6.75 inch wrist.

I have made a cardboard cut out and am a bit uncertain.

Does anyone here have any experience in wearing a watch of this size and does it look sensible.

It is the 49cm that worries me.

49 cm would worry me too.
    More seriously, the way Reversos fit really depends on the shape of your wrist, more than the size. If the top of your wrist is flat, you can trust your cardboard mock-up. If not, you really need to try one.
    You may find guidance in the lug-to-lug size of your usual watches too, but I wouldn’t buy one without having spent a good 30 minutes in a JLC AD.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hope this gives you a sense of scale,49 mm lug length,200 mm wrist

Blog Entries
    I have 6 3/4” wrist and anything under 50mm lug-lug across the watch is in my catchment area.

It depends also on the profile of your wrist and shape of the lugs too. I have fairly flat wrists so bigger “flat” area for a watch.

Good luck with your quest - best thing todo is go to an AD and try it (or equivalent) on - but from info given I see no problem.

OP: after a bit of research are you sure of the dimensions as a Grande Taille only goes to 43mm

“ Any Reverso model with a case measuring between 42 and 43 mm tall by 25.5 and 26.5 mm wide can properly be called a "Grande Taille" ("Large Size") model. Those with a taller case, 45 to 50 mm tall by 27 to 30 mm, are referred to as "Grande" while smaller models are called "Classique". The basic model, simply called the Reverso Grande Taille, uses the hand winding Cal. 822 with central hour and minute hands and small seconds.”

Given the dimensions you state you have a Reverso Grande

I had a Grande Date for a while (45mm width - lug-lug ) that looked like this:

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th March 2022 at 16:13.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have 6 3/4” wrist and anything under 50mm lug-lug across the watch is in my catchment area.

It depends also on the profile of your wrist and shape of the lugs too. I have fairly flat wrists so bigger “flat” area for a watch.

Good luck with your quest - best thing todo is go to an AD and try it (or equivalent) on - but from info given I see no problem.

OP: after a bit of research are you sure of the dimensions as a Grande Taille only goes to 43mm

“ Any Reverso model with a case measuring between 42 and 43 mm tall by 25.5 and 26.5 mm wide can properly be called a "Grande Taille" ("Large Size") model. Those with a taller case, 45 to 50 mm tall by 27 to 30 mm, are referred to as "Grande" while smaller models are called "Classique". The basic model, simply called the Reverso Grande Taille, uses the hand winding Cal. 822 with central hour and minute hands and small seconds.”

Given the dimensions you state you have a Reverso Grande

I had a Grande Date for a while (45mm width - lug-lug ) that looked like this:

Martyn
    Hi Martin

Yes it is indeed a Grande.

I have a fairly flat wrist but what worries me is that it will look like some sort of smart watch which tends to be bulky.

I have to admit I am angling towards the medium size and hence the reason for this post.

Master
    Mick just out of curiosity what is the reference you are looking at, is it a 976 or 986. 29.9 x 41.6mm / 48.5mm inc lugs? Those dimensions you mention seem to be in line with these which are the biggest Reverso (to my knowledge).

Always wanted a Reverso but never had the nerve to go for it, tried one when i met DrF for a coffee and he had a Grande Taille, lovely thing but much too small for my 20cm wrist.

Master
    It's a 986.

Master
    Mick,
    Are you buying this essentially as a traditional dress watch? If so, I wouldn't be looking to push the size as far as your wrists will permit. Something well within your wrist width is going to look much more elegant, imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Mick,
    Are you buying this essentially as a traditional dress watch? If so, I wouldn't be looking to push the size as far as your wrists will permit. Something well within your wrist width is going to look much more elegant, imo.
    I am now in line with your thoughts, the Grande is just too large.

Master
    Mick P in not buying a watch that isn’t a Rolex shocker.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Mick,
    That strikes me as sound advice.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Some actual measurements of my Grande Reverso Calendar.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    That looks mega cool. Out of curiosity, what size is your wrist.

The grand Reverso calendar is the same dimensions as the 976 and 986 if I recall. There was a thread recently on this very subject that is worth searching for. FWIW I think the ‘grande’ size may be a little bit big on your size wrist but it’s all about your shape too. Try a medium size on and I’m sure you’ll be fine ( I’m having trouble uploading images on Tapatalk)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I knew I would miss out the important bit, just a little bigger than yours Mick @ 7".

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    That looks mega cool. Out of curiosity, what size is your wrist.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    If it helps here is a 976 on my 19mm wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I knew I would miss out the important bit, just a little bigger than yours Mick @ 7".
    Hi Ben

That has been really useful, so many thanks. It's medium size without question.

Was watching Batman the other night and had forgotten that Christian Bale wore a Reverso.
    Looked really good on him to be fair.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    If it helps here is a 976 on my 19mm wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    19cm (7.4inches)?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Here is my Reverso Duo which is in the Grand Taille size I believe (big but not the biggest) on 7.25" wrist. As noted above by Martyn, be aware that 'Grande' means biggest, "Grande Taille' means second biggest and perfectly wearable on a ~7" wrist.

Last edited by Padders; 14th March 2022 at 13:57.

Master
    Martyn and Padders.

You have both convinced me that the Grand Taille is the size to go for and many thanks for that. All I need now is to find the watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    19cm (7.4inches)?
    7.48” based on 25.4mm to the inch

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app