closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rational advice needed

Rational advice needed

I recently picked up a Grand Seiko quartz from SC and need to do a a bit of ‘book balancing’. I probably should let both of the below watches go but I’m hoping it will only be one. Question is, which one? My points to consider.

1. The Wempe. Why keep another blacked dialled HAQ quartz? Surely the GS fills that space nicely.

2. The SPB143. I don’t have another diver in the collection (Tag Multigraph and APEKS 200m excluded) so really it should stay, correct?

Please tell me which one (or maybe two) should go (I understand this is completely subjective but your opinions may sway me and it’s a bit of fun.)

And the GS which is staying:

Difficult choice, very different watches but if one had to go, it would be the wempe, for me.

Agreed. Your two Seikos Mr. T are excellent, and cover so many aspects and requirements of a collection. Goodbye to the Wempe.

The Wempe wins for me, it's a very cool watch whereas the Seikos are just like so many other Seikos (which I say as a Seiko owner).

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would keep the Wempe.

Master
    Sell the Wempe

You lost me at rational because I am anything but. However if you ask me I would sell the Wempemout of the two.

Master
    You will never get rational advice here because it is a very subjective question.

I would keep the Wempemout purely because I really do like the look of it and I will admit that that is just as irrational as all the other viewpoints.

In this case let the wife decide as you can't go wrong when she says what to do.

I'd go with the general sentiment here and get rid of the Wempe.
    The others are all similar, but the diver the and GS are distinctive enough to keep.

Out of those three the GS would go for me. Really like the shape of the Wempe, only downside for me is the name Ironwalker.

Wempe stays for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If the GS is staying, then it makes more sense to ditch the Wempe. The GS and diver are a fine two watch collection.

Craftsman
    Congratulations on the new purchase - I'm getting a real soft spot for Grand Seiko, and this is a nice understated example.

I don't know the full extent of your collection and how these watches fit into your requirements for your collection if you have any. I was lightly tickled by the qualifier "I don’t have another diver in the collection (Tag Multigraph and APEKS 200m excluded)".

Still, given the three watches in the mix and the GS gets a pass I think I agree with the majority here - the Wempe goes, and the Seiko stays. Not too much diversity on the brand front: a Grand Seiko and vanilla Seiko, but more diversity in function and look, for sure.

Rational advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    If the GS is staying, then it makes more sense to ditch the Wempe. The GS and diver are a fine two watch collection.
    Agree with this but I think the Wempe should stay and the GS go.

I think that either the GS or the Wempe make a fine companion to the SPB143 and, along with a beater, make a fantastic three watch collection.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 7th March 2022 at 18:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Agree with this but I think the Wempe should stay and the GS go.

I think that either the GS or the Wempe make a fine companion to the SPB143 and, along with a beater, make a fantastic three watch collection.
    Fair enough and not a bad choice by any means, but the OP has stated the GS is staying and is asking which of the other two to keep.

Blog Entries
    Find a way to keep all three.

Each of them are excellent watches in their own way... I can't say that any of them should go.

The Wempe and GS are different enough to warrant keeping both. The Seiko diver is different again from the other two.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th March 2022 at 19:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Fair enough and not a bad choice by any means, but the OP has stated the GS is staying and is asking which of the other two to keep.
    I know and I agree with your post in that case.

I don’t agree with his decision to keep the GS though, in his position I’d ditch it in favour of the Wempe. We all have different preferences though and they are all very nice watches.

If I said the Wempe should go, it would only be because I’d like it myself!

I like them all but the GS and SPB143 would be the ones I keep.

Thanks everyone for the input. As I thought, a mixed response which is entirely understandable. Since the GS is staying, I know it makes sense to sell the Wempe but I really do like the styling and it’s a very well made and finished little thing. I know I’ll regret selling either of them but it would probably be easier to pick up a used SPB again than it would be a Wempe. And as for asking my wife, no chance. They all look the same to her which actually comes in handy when wearing a new purchase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    …Question is, which one?
    Both!

The Wempe - because I’m underwhelmed by the case “lugs”

The Seiko - because I find that straight line along the case between the lugs unsettling, it should be curved like the GS.

There, you’re quids in now. You’re welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

If I said the Wempe should go, it would only be because I’d like it myself!
    Lolz Dave, and nowt wrong with that :)

Dare to be different - keep the Wempe (anyway, the lume makes it more versatile than the GS).

I'd be keeping the Wempe. Really like the case design and integrated bracelet

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post

The Seiko - because I find that straight line along the case between the lugs unsettling, it should be curved like the GS.
    The SPB143/147/149 are homages to the 62MAS and as such, need to have the straight edge. Looks great on a well fitting bracelet though.

Craftsman
    The Wempe is lovely but I’m not a massive fan of the integrated bracelet.

I’d say sell the Seiko since, as you say, you could track down another.

I also prefer the the Seiko on a strap and not a bracelet - I will look out for it on SC!

Your logic is completely rational. Move the Wempe on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I think the wempe is minging.

So keep it, because I am normally wrong

Blog Entries
    Keep the Wempe - Love the genta inspired case.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Can't offer 'rational' - I think the Wempe is gorgeous, the Seiko, nice, and the GS dull-as-ditchwater!

I think the rational answer might be to try to spend another 6 months with these watches, and see which one you actually enjoy wearing the most, then sell the rest.

Coming to a watch forum asking for rational advice is a brave move to say the least.

I've always liked the look of those Wempe Ironwalkers but the GS fills the spot nicely so it needs to go. The GS is a beautiful clean watch that always just catches the eye and fits beautifully. Don't listen to those detractors. Wearing mine today and just love it.

Certainly not rational, but I would keep the Wempe over the GS. I just prefer the look of the Wempe - I find the new GS dial very bland. Not sure that was helpful!

Rational advice needed

I second the Wempe. The GS isn’t special. But if you’re veering to letting the Wempe go, there are a few good options in vintage, such as Junghans, who made at least one model with integrated bracelet back in the 70s. A far more interesting alternative to a similarly priced Tissot.

For example:
    Last edited by OldHooky; 8th March 2022 at 13:25.

@OldHooky: I like that Junghans a lot.
    What's the model?

I am afraid I cannot help you. You shouldn't have got the GS before you were ready to let go of the Wempe. They are too alike to keep... and the one you had carries a bigger clout than the one you just got. :(
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    @OldHooky: I like that Junghans a lot.
    What's the model?
    I'm not sure. There's no reference No on the back and a quick Google doesn't bring anything up. That photo doesn't do the blue fade dial justice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I think the rational answer might be to try to spend another 6 months with these watches, and see which one you actually enjoy wearing the most, then sell the rest.
    I think this is wise advice!

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I'm not sure. There's no reference No on the back and a quick Google doesn't bring anything up. That photo doesn't do the blue fade dial justice.
    Cheers. If that was an auto...

From the era of quartz, when autos nearly went to the wall, like many of the brands. I’d normally agree, but it really is so well executed it can be forgiven for being a quartz.

Journeyman
    Keep the Wempe- it’s just a bit different and is a classic design.
    I’m not sure that the massive range of views you’re getting is entirely helpful!

Master
    I don't like the Seiko diver but find myself quite liking the Wempe!

Update:

Some great advice on here so thank you. It looks like the Wempe is staying. I can always buy a leather strap for the Grand Seiko and it’ll be completely different from the Wempe

Anyway I never dive so no need for the SPB.