closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watches you like but you know aren’t for you

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    I had never heard of them before, thanks for the pointer.

Very distinctive pieces.
    Yep, there's a nice one in the recent incomings thread from a few days ago too.

Craftsman
    Datejusts (although I note the comment below that perhaps I just haven't seen the right one yet), Speedmasters & GS divers. All great in their own ways, just not for me.

Ignoring those I feel are too expensive for me (which is many!), I can only really think of the Monaco.

For a long while I was sure I'd get one, but I never did and the desire faded.

I only really like the white on black chronos, but even then I can't see me ever buying one now.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 9th March 2022 at 09:47.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Blancpain fifty fathoms.
    Too big and too expensive but always drawn to it

Nomos. I've had three, lugs are long and I find them too dressy for me but really do like the brand.

Anything gold, my pasty skin just doesn't suit it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Absolutely, this!
    Gold turns me off, but even bimetal just doesn't look right.
    Even some titanium just makes me look pastier than a sausage roll.

Dan henry 70s chrono in black
    Love it
    But
    Too big
    Too quartz
    I am flatbetteryphobic

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reverso,
    Really like them but no matter how many times I try one on
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Most chronos.

I love the look of chronographs but since my eyes started going off (for want of a better term), I just can't read them. So no more chronos for me. Regrettably.

Craftsman
    Silver watch face with pure silver hands and hour markers. Especially on vintage watches. And if they have dagger hands, then even worse.

I just can't read them with my eyes. And this is a shame, because a lot of the vintage Seiko dress-style watches have dagger hands and silver dials and look really good!

UBoat Capsoil for me. I know it's a bit 'out there' and quartz, etc. UBoat are not what they are, etc. BUT I really like it ... with the exception of the bubble. This is the only reason why I don't have one, or two! That bloody bubble. What a crap design choice IMHO.

I love Breitling Super Avenger.

It's the G-Mercedes or BMW X6 of watches.

Useless, HUGE and ostentatious.

It's just too big. I had a Skyland Avenger which was 45mm and I was banging even that constantly to the door frames.

It's pretty damn nice though.

https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.c...venger-a13370/

Quote Originally Posted by Merod View Post
    UBoat Capsoil for me. I know it's a bit 'out there' and quartz, etc. UBoat are not what they are, etc. BUT I really like it ... with the exception of the bubble. This is the only reason why I don't have one, or two! That bloody bubble. What a crap design choice IMHO.
    Glad someone else has been looking at these, I have been so close to buying one for a while and now they have a battery hatch in the newer versions makes them even more attractive. The bubble doesnt really bother me that much I assume the idea was to have it there so everyone knew it was oil filled.

U Boat are definitely a watch I know are "Not for me" But I do think I am going to break one day and buy one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Most chronos.

I love the look of chronographs but since my eyes started going off (for want of a better term), I just can't read them. So no more chronos for me. Regrettably.
    You could try a Fortis, superb legibility, if you don't mind a larger watch.

...or one of these.
    concorde wallpaper
    Last edited by Nealywheelie; 13th March 2022 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Most chronos.

Funny enough I was looking at Panerai for that exact reason, then I realised I had a CWC that in spite of its size was very readable.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Pretty much anything over 40-41mm (at the moment).

But more specifically any Schofield. Absolutely love everything about them except I know I won't wear one because of the size.
    This is where I am sadly. My Hulk is pushing the limits whilst my OP 39mm, Omega Seamaster 36.5mm and Zenith El Primeruo 38mm are all in the sweet spot.
    I'd love the Omega Tresor De Ville in Sedna as a dress watch but it needs to be 36mm not 40mm! I love the GS SBGA Spring Drives but they are all sitting at 40mm!!!

Craftsman
    There’s a whole host of great watches I love the look of but don’t get on with on the wrist. In no particular order -

Omega Speedmaster - the bezel and lack of water resistance kill it… looks great on anyone but me to my eyes.

IWC Big Pilot - The design is amazing but the proportions on the wrist just don’t work.

Rolex Daytona - again looks great on others, on my wrist it looks too small and shiny.

JLC Compressor (any of them) - love most of the range, looks classic and elegant, on me they look too small and dainty

JLC Polaris - I really, really want one of these…. But whenever I’ve worn them, something isn’t quite right. I really want to own a JLC one day, this is as close as I’ve come.

Tudor Pelagos - Except for the words ‘rotor self winding’ in the dial, I’d buy this watch. Absolutely superb watch at an absolutely amazing price for what you get versus similar watches, but that one line of text…. FFS (totally about me, not the watch).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Same for me. I had a good look at a full gold Sub a few weeks ago and loved it until I tried it on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    You could try a Fortis, superb legibility, if you don't mind a larger watch.

...or one of these.
    Thanks for the suggestions. It would certainly need to be a bigger watch. I had not considered Bremont.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Funny enough I was looking at Panerai for that exact reason, then I realised I had a CWC that in spite of its size was very readable.
    Is it the Portuguese that has a massive chrono version?

Daytona. Looks lovely in most guises but seems tiny in the flesh and on my wrist. A Submariner looks fine on me, for comparison.

Master
    ALS Saxonia thin - an absolutely beautiful watch for someone else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacamack View Post
    This is where I am sadly. My Hulk is pushing the limits whilst my OP 39mm, Omega Seamaster 36.5mm and Zenith El Primeruo 38mm are all in the sweet spot.
    I'd love the Omega Tresor De Ville in Sedna as a dress watch but it needs to be 36mm not 40mm! I love the GS SBGA Spring Drives but they are all sitting at 40mm!!!
    Have you looked at something like the SBGA439 (https://www.grand-seiko.com/de-de/co...ons/sbga439g)?

It's lug to lug is only 46.6mm. I'd be pretty surprised if it wore bigger than the OP 39mm.

Another design classic that just doesn't work.

The Nautilus...

It should tick all the boxes for me but I just can't appreciate it.

Much of the CWC line up comes into the category of "watches you like but aren't for you." I love the dials but the case shapes and fixed lug bars mean they never sit well on my wrist. I've had the G10 and several divers and sadly they just don't work for me. Likewise, the Seiko Tuna, sbbn015, was another one which like the CWCs always looks superb on other people's wrists but were just ill-fitting on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Much of the CWC line up comes into the category of "watches you like but aren't for you." I love the dials but the case shapes and fixed lug bars mean they never sit well on my wrist. I've had the G10 and several divers and sadly they just don't work for me. Likewise, the Seiko Tuna, sbbn015, was another one which like the CWCs always looks superb on other people's wrists but were just ill-fitting on mine.
    They do sit high when resting on two strips of a NATO, but if you try a clip on strap the watch sits much lower on the wrist allowing the caseback to sink into the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    They do sit high when resting on two strips of a NATO, but if you try a clip on strap the watch sits much lower on the wrist allowing the caseback to sink into the wrist.

That is better than a NATO, but there's still too much of a disconnect between the case shape and the dial for me :(

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Have you looked at something like the SBGA439 (https://www.grand-seiko.com/de-de/co...ons/sbga439g)?

It's lug to lug is only 46.6mm. I'd be pretty surprised if it wore bigger than the OP 39mm.
    That's nice! The SBGA283G should also work as it comes in at 39mm https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...drivee-sbga283

JC 116660. Beast of a watch that sadly will never sit right on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Portugeiser - lovely design, lovely execution, just too big
    Navitimer - like the distinctiveness, like the history and functionality, just no interest in wearing one
    Fifty Fathoms - a great watch but not for me
    Chopard Mille Miglia Gran Turismo -Every time I see one I have to stop and stare, from the strap to the dial. But only ever once considered buying one and don't regret that I didn't.
    Stowa MO - I bought one, years ago on an impulse buy. I used it to teach one of my kids how to tell the time from its beautiful clear, clean deal. I admire the movement every so often through the caseback and its classy look on a blue croc strap. And decide that today will not be the day that I finally move it on. And then I put it straight back without ever putting it on.

Iwc big pilot….just an awesome piece but my clumsiness combined with its size is going to be an exercise in carnage.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    Tudor BB 58. Love the look, but too small for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed loved the the silver Tudor but too small on the wrist, not sure why a dive watch is sized like an everyday watch. Make it bigger and it’s a winner. The realist in me thinks silver let’s keep it small .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Everything bronze and over 40mm for my slender wrist..

Craftsman
    Santos. I love everything about the watch, except the Roman numerals

Journeyman
    JLC Reverso and Cartier Tank.
    I love the classic refined look and the sheer elegance. However I don’t think I could pull off the watch shape.

I’m slowly conditioning myself to the squarer/rectangle watches with my Bulova Dual-Day, so hopefully that changes one day and I can buy one to wear the sh*t out of :)