closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tyre Damage - New Tyre?

Tyre Damage - New Tyre?

Hi all, I've just spotted some of the girlfriend's fine parking. She likes mounting kerbs!

I'm thinking this will need a new tyre. What's the consensus?

That's toast. New tyre time.

Master
    No doubt about it, that needs replaced

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    While that looks messy, I doubt that would be an MoT failure or deemed unsafe. The rubber edge / rim protector has come away but it doesn't look like there is any structural damage or bulging. Would I change it - probably, yes.

Easiest way to check is take it to an MoT / tyre centre for their view and decide how you want to proceed.

I would not drive on that.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The wheel doesent look that good either.

Master
    New tyre girlfriend time

Surprised you even need to ask! Even if the carcass isn't damaged (which can't be confirmed 100% visually) heat dissipation will be uneven and rotational weight imbalance will likely be off the scale.

Need to see it but theres a protective rib around the tyre for tha reason….looks ok to me, cant see any cords, seen many like this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Need to see it but theres a protective rib around the tyre for tha reason….looks ok to me, cant see any cords, seen many like this.
    Ah, but Franky, would you allow your child to pound the motorway with a tyre like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Surprised you even need to ask! Even if the carcass isn't damaged (which can't be confirmed 100% visually) heat dissipation will be uneven and rotational weight imbalance will likely be off the scale.
    Rebalance the wheel or glue that piece back if imbalance really is an issue (which I doubt).

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Ah, but Franky, would you allow your child to pound the motorway with a tyre like that?
    yeh, but id need to see it, from the pic theres appears to be no cords. Its been mentioned but it would probably pass an MOT as well how silly that seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Rebalance the wheel or glue that piece back if imbalance really is an issue (which I doubt).
    Glue it back on? Blimey, when the price of a tyre is about the same as a half decent watch strap!
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 4th March 2022 at 19:51.

Cheers gents, you pretty much all share my thoughts.

Master
    I had this yesterday. Tyre has only been on one week

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post

I feel your pain. We had a puncture last week, nail. In the centre of the tread so repairable luckily, hope yours is.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 4th March 2022 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post

same place as my screw, tyre 3 month old 200 mile, damage here is not repairable

Yikes, that thorn is amazing!

20 years ago, in Qatar, Our Land Rover Disco picked up a 10" piece of rebar from a concrete construction block - that made a noise, I can tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    same place as my screw, tyre 3 month old 200 mile, damage here is not repairable

Ouch, that screw is angled straight into the sidewall which as you say isn't repairable. Being optimistic Jaytips thorn looks borderline, though he'd probably be better off safe than sorry.

Master
    It's not what you can see, it's what you can't. For peace of mind, replace. I've had a rear wheel blowout at 50 mph and that was scary enough. Snaked to a hard shoulder stop and changing the wheel, was as scary as the blowout. Those artics passing, just about vacuum you into the nearside lane. You need a good, solid jack too. Those flimsy "free with the car" type are not up to the job on the side of the M62 in the middle of winter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I feel your pain. We had a puncture last week, nail. In the centre of the tread so repairable luckily, hope yours is.
    New tyre was put on today.

Craftsman
    The last two punctures look very nasty and rather unfortunate.

I’ve recently had a nail in one of my run flats and found out that certain run flats cannot be repaired and certain places won’t do so!

Master
    It’s completely fine, there’s only an issue of you can see the tread fibres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, I had similar damage a few years back but my claim was declined (tyre insurance) as the damage was not through to the threads - I drove on it for years. So, your tyre looks safe enough to drive on, but you may prefer to replace.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Hi all, I've just spotted some of the girlfriend's fine parking. She likes mounting kerbs!

I'm thinking this will need a new tyre. What's the consensus?
    Sure is or potentially 3 points or worse if it fails whilst being driven. I’d suggest immediate replacement

Jim

Craftsman
    I drove 4 new tyres into the recycle centre and drove over some carpet tack - expensive trip.
    Best to be safe and replace - the consequences of issues at speed are too high.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    It's not what you can see, it's what you can't. For peace of mind, replace. I've had a rear wheel blowout at 50 mph and that was scary enough. Snaked to a hard shoulder stop and changing the wheel, was as scary as the blowout. Those artics passing, just about vacuum you into the nearside lane. You need a good, solid jack too. Those flimsy "free with the car" type are not up to the job on the side of the M62 in the middle of winter.
    I’ll see if I can find the picture I took of a car on the A1 I came across one night, it had a blowout and was taken out like a pinball with 3 artics, the first was written off as it pushed the engine back.

My personal view is nobody apart from a recovery company should be doing anything on the hard shoulder, I see idiots in black walking about in lane 1 at night near broken down cars.

Ask an expert.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I once had a puncture on the M1 friday afternoon near Luton. Wearing a suit as had been to a funeral. For the first and only time I changed the offside rear wheel on the hard shoulder, it was terrifying how close to the lorries on the inside lane I was. Never ever again it is lethal!!

Next mway blowout and I drove along the hard shoulder to the next junction, obvs the tyre was completely shredded by then but a small price to pay. Never stop on the motorway unless forced to, I've been there and it's extremely dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Ask an expert.
    Yeah, Mick's back and will know for sure.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    It’s completely fine, there’s only an issue of you can see the tread fibres.

A tyre is road worthy unless you can see the thread / cord.

I’ve had company cars for years and my wife has an addiction to grinding alloys and tyres.

Every time I take them into kwik fit they will only swap if you can see exposed thread. If you can’t it’s a safe road legal tyre.

Tyre Damage - New Tyre?

I see your nails and screws and raise you….

That's very unlucky, it looks like you own a Quad so I suspect that was near a four-figure repair.

Tyre Damage - New Tyre?

I wish! Just a veloce. Got a replacement OEM wheel for 130 quid. Lucky lucky

That wasn't so bad, plus another £150+ for a tyre I guess. Still, it must feel bitter.

Yeah. It stung.
    Front end got smashed to bits when a dumbdumb pulled into me a week after I got it.
    Then the wheel a few weeks after it was repaired. Then some a hole keyed it. That’s three!

Oh yes, I remember your posts from when it got hit soon after you bought it. That's a bad run of luck! I have never seen a bolt go through a rim like that before, the Alfa must be cursed.

Deffo cursed. But a joy to drive!