closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screwdrivers

Journeyman
    Another vote for Wera, they do some fantastic interchangeable sets. I can’t see me having to replace mine for a very long time!

Craftsman
    As we are talking screwdrivers, can anyone please identify the type of screwdriver/bit I would need to remove these screws (fitted on a shed door):

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    As we are talking screwdrivers, can anyone please identify the type of screwdriver/bit I would need to remove these screws (fitted on a shed door):

These are security screws that are intended to only turn one direction so that they can't be removed by thieves from the exterior. Treat them as a stripped head screw and remove with vise grips, cutting a deeper slot with a hacksaw, reversing out from the interior, drilling out with a screw extractor or left handed drill, etc.

(sorry if I have taken your joke seriously :))

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    These are security screws that are intended to only turn one direction so that they can't be removed by thieves from the exterior. Treat them as a stripped head screw and remove with vise grips, cutting a deeper slot with a hacksaw, reversing out from the interior, drilling out with a screw extractor or left handed drill, etc.

(sorry if I have taken your joke seriously :))
    To add to this, these particular security screw heads are called ‘clutch heads’ and as with most security screws, you can buy a removal tool but the deterrent to your average criminal is that these removal tools are about £50 each and you have to buy the right size for your particular screw or the remover will not work! They basically work by digging two tungsten pins into the tapered faces to allow the required unscrewing force to be applied.

Craftsman
    Thanks, this is very useful info, and I was not joking, if a bit dumb. I did suspect however that the answer was that it is not easy to remove them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Thanks, this is very useful info, and I was not joking, if a bit dumb. I did suspect however that the answer was that it is not easy to remove them.
    A dremel to cut the faces flat makes easy work if you have one on a shelve somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You can usually ping them round with a spring loaded centre punch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hardness-HR...s%2C97&sr=8-15