closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    But I would rather speculate wildly while in the toilet :).
    You are right, I’ll leave off it be.
    Hehe, what else are forums for! ;-)

I was wondering if/when they'll set up an EU scheme and surprisingly it seems it might not be worth it. This table from https://www.businessofapps.com/data/ebay-statistics/ is illuminating:

eBay sellers by country
    Country Percentage of sellers
    United States 31%
    United Kingdom 29%
    Germany 15%
    China 12%
    Australia 4%
    Italy 2%
    Note: Data from June 2020
    Source: Company data
    Note that this is percentage of total sellers on the worldwide eBay marketplace.

This is remarkable. It means that, despite the USA having roughly five times the population of the UK, the USA and UK both supply roughly the same number of sellers to the worldwide marketplace.

And despite Germany's population being larger than the UK's, it still supplies fewer sellers. The next largest EU country for sellers is Italy at only 2%.

For me there are two takeaway points from this:
    (1) eBay is manically popular in the UK!
    (2) eBay will tend to focus on the USA and UK markets.

It is further interesting to me to note that China supplies 12% of the global seller 'workforce' and yet eBay isn't even officially available in China. The ebay.cn website has a lot of information about selling though.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 8th September 2022 at 19:50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Highly doubt they open the case back due to all reasons mentioned and plus it is probably a 3 min per watch inspection.
    The information obtained so far from Stoll is that they do open the case back for most watches -- where possible and necessary, at least. Read back on the threads where people have spoken to Stoll. They don't need to open case backs for view back watches, for example.

Craftsman
    Does anyone know if the part of authentication process involves checking the watch (serial number) against any of the stolen property registers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Does anyone know if the part of authentication process involves checking the watch (serial number) against any of the stolen property registers?
    What a good question! No, I don't know.

I wonder if they have access to Rolex's database. I suspect not.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What a good question! No, I don't know.

I wonder if they have access to Rolex's database. I suspect not.
    This was my thought - my father had a Rolex stolen recently and his local Rolex dealer has circulated it as stolen on their database. I've registered its loss on other registers as well so maybe the eBay authentication process checks one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Ebay put a warning up that you may need to pay fees when you cancel a listing. It’s not specific to watches and applies to anything that has a bid on it at the time of cancellation. No bid, no fee. Has a bid, you pay fees.

Their rules and, as you’ve found, they stick rigidly to them.
    I always sell using buy it now and if I pull the auction for any reason (change of mind, sold on a forum etc) , I revise the buy it now auction price to £1 and once updated, I then then cancel the auction.

Just FYI, they managed to scratch the crystal on a watch I sent back through their authentication process.

Long boring story, suffice to say I will try to avoid using them in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Just FYI, they managed to scratch the crystal on a watch I sent back through their authentication process.

Long boring story, suffice to say I will try to avoid using them in future.
    Eek! Gotta ask: Are they paying up to the vendor for the damage they caused? I realise you might not know.

Craftsman
    The information obtained so far from Stoll is that they do open the case back for most watches -- where possible and necessary, at least. Read back on the threads where people have spoken to Stoll. They don't need to open case backs for view back watches, for example.
    Hope they don’t open the back on a Sinn UX as it’s filled with oil!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Hope they don’t open the back on a Sinn UX as it’s filled with oil!
    We've had that discussion. :-)

Eek! Gotta ask: Are they paying up to the vendor for the damage they caused? I realise you might not know.
    I was the vendor, that is how I know they did it beyond a doubt.

And no. They are not.

Blog Entries
    I was the vendor, that is how I know they did it beyond a doubt.
    Ah, sorry, when you wrote "on a watch I sent back through their authentication process" I thought you meant you were the buyer and were returning the watch to the vendor.

And no. They are not.
    That's unforgivable.

I know this is (much) easier said than done, but the County Court is there for you if they won't make good their error and you have the before and after evidence.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I always sell using buy it now and if I pull the auction for any reason (change of mind, sold on a forum etc) , I revise the buy it now auction price to £1 and once updated, I then then cancel the auction.
    Has this worked and resulted in eBay only charging you fees on £1, and not the original buy it now price?

Master
    A related bit of information to share. Secursus have explicity told me they do NOT cover any watch sent to eBay authenticity. Came as news to me as I have used them in the past to insure packages sent to eBay...if the worst happened, it would not have been covered.

Also, do carefully read T&Cs of the courier companies as most do not cover watches at all and some only cover up to £2k or £3k. They will all take your money, but they won't honour any claim.

Craftsman
    I have sent a couple of watches to the Authentication centre.
    Made sure they were sent fully insured. Special Delivery.

However, now that the address must be well known. Every package going there is worth between £1500 and let’s say £200,000.
    It certainly is a target for a robbery. Or even posty looking for his Christmas box.

Both my watches were turned around the same day.
    I guess they don’t want too many watches on the premises overnight.

Blog Entries
    Secursus have explicity told me they do NOT cover any watch sent to eBay authenticity. Came as news to me as I have used them in the past to insure packages sent to eBay...if the worst happened, it would not have been covered.
    Pretty disappointing. Can you find that in their Ts&Cs?

A related bit of information to share. Secursus have explicity told me they do NOT cover any watch sent to eBay authenticity. Came as news to me as I have used them in the past to insure packages sent to eBay...if the worst happened, it would not have been covered.

Also, do carefully read T&Cs of the courier companies as most do not cover watches at all and some only cover up to £2k or £3k. They will all take your money, but they won't honour any claim.
    Looks like I've wasted a couple of hundos with Secursus then. Do you know why they would not cover any watch sent to eBay for authentication? Surely that's just a package to a destination (eBay's watch maker).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    Looks like I've wasted a couple of hundos with Secursus then. Do you know why they would not cover any watch sent to eBay for authentication? Surely that's just a package to a destination (eBay's watch maker).
    Makes me suspect there's been a good few claims with the authentication process and they feel the risk is too high.....

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    You and me both.

Not sure how it’s expressed in the T&Cs but there was another thread here which said it may not be covered hence I emailed to check. (Couldn’t find the thread so updated the wrong one!)

The reason was to do with lack of controls in their opinion at the authenticity centre. They only cover direct to private buyer. Good to know. Wish had known earlier and just thankful my uninsured packages arrived safely in the past.

You and me both.

Not sure how it’s expressed in the T&Cs but there was another thread here which said it may not be covered hence I emailed to check. (Couldn’t find the thread so updated the wrong one!)

The reason was to do with lack of controls in their opinion at the authenticity centre. They only cover direct to private buyer. Good to know. Wish had known earlier and just thankful my uninsured packages arrived safely in the past.
    Gosh. Ditto

Blog Entries
    Surprising and rather lacklustre. :-(

Craftsman
    Spotted this abomination this morning. Wonder if this would be “authenticated” as suggested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325443681...mis&media=COPY

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    Spotted this abomination this morning. Wonder if this would be “authenticated” as suggested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325443681...mis&media=COPY

Dogs dinner indeed. What on earth is going on?

I've had a hankering for this model of Air King since it was released (appreciating that it is most definitely a Marmite).

What it looks like VS what it should look like.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    God only knows. It looks like a 60’s - 70’s manual wind Rolex movement in a random case with an Air King dial and a tiny hand set? Box looks hooky too. Currently at a mind boggling £1,800????

That's some serious cash. If you look at the seller's other watches, they are all similar in nature (re-cased, different hands, etc). And they all go for a decent amount.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    You and me both.

Hang on - what about using Secursus when sending a watch to a watchmaker to be serviced? If they only cover to a private buyer, then using them to send to any business is a waste of money and worse, risk of total loss of a high value watch. With the RMSD limit at £2500, what other options do we have? I was looking to use Secursus to send a watch with a value of around £3K to TWR for servicing.

Master
    Best to assume it won’t be covered. Most couriers don’t cover watches or watches above a certain limit. You can try reading the fine print for DHL or UPS. I know one of them did used to offer cover up to 4k for additional fee but it may have since changed to 2k from memory.

To quote Secursus :

we only cover items sold and shipped directly to the buyer.

Blog Entries
    To quote Secursus :

we only cover items sold and shipped directly to the buyer.
    Question: Was that said in the specific context of buying/selling or did they really mean it in general (i.e. when sending for repair)?

Master
    Question: Was that said in the specific context of buying/selling or did they really mean it in general (i.e. when sending for repair)?
    You may be best to email them to clarify for your specific situation, rather than rely on my or anyone else's experience. At least you then have it in writing for your specific situation. They were very responsive on email when I contacted them.

But in my situation, they told me no, not covered shipping to a third party, although yes this was in the context of sending to eBay authenticity as a third party. As you suggest possibly different in your scenario.

Read recent trustpilot reviews, (I haven't left one by the way, before anyone thinks I am on a rampage vs. Secrusus, just that they have been recommended many times, but there are some misunderstandings, clearly).
    One recent review worryingly says that items are not covered if 'sent by an individual'...WTAF!?

The comapny has responded to that review to say that:

our policy covers individuals but we need to approve them on a case-by-case basis. Unfortunately, we have received too many frauds from individuals and have decided to restrain coverage and are now approving individuals one at a time.

They also say they are updatin their T&Cs....

End result, I would be very careful using them if I ever do again.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Many thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Secursus certainly looks like it's getting too complicated. 'Brittle' is a term I'd apply to it; too easy to get on the wrong side of it.

I've been using Parcel Pro for many years, albeit that I was fortunate enough to be in a position to set the account up through my company. I seem to recall, though, that - at the time, at least - they would set up accounts for individuals too, it just required prior approval. They're certainly a good value option, with insurance rates of 0.25% of the declared value.

I must admit that the longer I use them the more I worry about how easy it would be to make a successful claim. Their packing requirements are very stringent, to the extent that I've latterly been making videos of the process which I've then kept until safe receipt of the item has been acknowledged.

Edit: I just checked the packing requirements again and found this buried in the Ts and Cs:

Double Box: Unless otherwise authorized by Parcel Pro in writing, all packages must be double boxed in new boxes and packaging and must include the tracking number on the inner box. The inner box must not be a small jewelry box which could be easily identified and/or discarded. Envelopes and packs are not eligible for coverage.
    And then...

Maintain Packaging: No claims for loss or damage shall be valid unless the package, inner cartons, packing and contents have been preserved until made available for inspection by Parcel Pro or the Insurance Underwriter.
    I have to admit I didn't know that the tracking number needs to be on the inner box (in addition to the recipient address), so I guess that means taking tape with you to the PO and sealing the outer box there and then. I've also been re-using boxes, but see now that both the inner and outer boxes need to be new/unused.

As always, the devil's in the details.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th December 2022 at 10:10.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I have to admit I didn't know that the tracking number needs to be on the inner box (in addition to the recipient address), so I guess that means taking tape with you to the PO and sealing the outer box there and then.
    Just buy the postage online. Much easier. Just drop it off at the PO when done.

As always, the devil's in the details.
    Yes, indeed. This is what seems to me to turn the services from something practical and robust to something brittle and unpredictably untrustworthy.

By "untrustworthy" I don't mean that they are dishonest; just that one cannot easily trust that everything will be ok if and when a claim need to be made.

Just buy the postage online. Much easier. Just drop it off at the PO when done.
    Yes, that's a better solution for sure.

Any definitive answer from still regarding opening casebacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noticed a few lately can buy pass it. Does not say eBay authentication was a 116610LN unworn 2018 stickered other day 9k buy it now. Was sat there for a day or so and sold

Not sure how this happen

Sent from my SM-A325F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Noticed a few lately can buy pass it. Does not say eBay authentication was a 116610LN unworn 2018 stickered other day 9k buy it now. Was sat there for a day or so and sold

Not sure how this happen

If you offer collection rather than postage only, then it will bypass it.

If you offer collection rather than postage only, then it will bypass it.
    I see the sub I saw was postage buy it now. Without eBay authentication

Last edited by bokbok; 27th January 2023 at 00:42.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    I see the sub I saw was postage buy it now. Without eBay authentication

Check the seller location, I’ve noticed a couple from Northern Ireland and Europe for sale and these seemed to by pass authentication

Royal mail special delivery very rare parcels go missing or can be tampered with

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    I have sent a couple of watches to the Authentication centre.
    Made sure they were sent fully insured. Special Delivery.

However, now that the address must be well known. Every package going there is worth between £1500 and let’s say £200,000.
    It certainly is a target for a robbery. Or even posty looking for his Christmas box.

Both my watches were turned around the same day.
    I guess they don’t want too many watches on the premises overnight.

Master
    Just passing on my first experience of buying an expensive watch via eBay and also my last .

I purchased a watch from a dealer on eBay and the authentication service have rejected it and refunded me. The seller seems genuine enough and frustrated as the only reason given is 'doesn't seem authentic'.

I've had an unsolicited call from eBay today just to check I understood what had happened and they explained that in cases where they have concerns beyond listing anomalies or a doubt that say a buckle is genuine, they won't expand on their reasoning as that will only educate those who seek to deceive. He confirmed they do remove the case back and that the authenticators are very experienced.

I suspect the seller may have been a victim here too but better safe than sorry so whilst I'm disappointed I have to think that the system has worked to my advantage here.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 15th February 2023 at 12:23.

Master
    Sounds positive and maybe saved you.

Why do you say your last time using them?

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Just passing on my first experience of buying an expensive watch via eBay and also my last .

I purchased a watch from a dealer on eBay and the authentication service have rejected it and refunded me. The seller seems genuine enough and frustrated as the only reason given is 'doesn't seem authentic'.

I've had an unsolicited call from eBay today just to check I understood what had happened and they explained that in cases where they have concerns beyond listing anomalies or a doubt that say a buckle is genuine, they won't expand on their reasoning as that will only educate those who seek to deceive. He confirmed they do remove the case back and that the authenticators are very experienced.

I suspect the seller may have been a victim here too but better safe than sorry so whilst I'm disappointed I have to think that the system has worked to my advantage here.
    Thereby compromising the WR?

I wonder how they deal with a monocoque watch case. Quite a lot to go wrong there before you have sight of the movement

Master
    Thereby compromising the WR?
    I think it's been suggested they pressure test afterwards but equally would you buy a watch on eBay and rely entirely on the seller's reassurance re WR? Maybe, maybe not. It seems a step in the right direction to me but not a perfect system.

eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

I’d never buy a watch knowing that someone potentially barely qualified has taken off the back with a random spanner, compared it to a picture of what it should look like inside then screwed it back together. And the way things are going nearly everything mechanical is £1500+. Ok I’m possibly exaggerating but having had plenty of experience of ham fisted AD’s removing bracelet links etc and making a right bodge, I’d never buy a watch that’s been subjected to this type of treatment. Or sell it through them either now I think about it, especially if it doesn’t sell but has been taken apart so they can have a rummage.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’d never buy a watch knowing that someone potentially barely qualified has taken off the back with a random spanner, compared it to a picture of what it should look like inside then screwed it back together. And the way things are going nearly everything mechanical is £1500+. Ok I’m possibly exaggerating but having had plenty of experience of ham fisted AD’s removing bracelet links etc and making a right bodge, I’d never buy a watch that’s been subjected to this type of treatment. Or sell it through them either now I think about it, especially if it doesn’t sell but has been taken apart so they can have a rummage.
    I don’t think anyone removes casebacks with spanners chosen at ‘random’........why would you? Selecting a tool that fits is far more likely to prove successful.

I too have concerns about casebacks being removed in this process, far too much scope for disaster.

Just to add to the thread but I have lost any faith with the Authentication process.

I now have two watches where the buyer wants to return citing Watch condition is not per the description.

The first Watch buyer said there was a scratch and the link collar missing. The watch was described as mint condition and the collar clearly showing the photo. In this case I have come to an agreement with the seller.

The second dispute was raised today, where the buyer says the thread is knackered on the crown and was un screwed on arrival, plus there were loads of scratches.

I described the Watch as mint (only bought a few months ago) and crown fully wound in as shown in my auction photos.

So either

(1) The authenticator didn’t properly inspect the Watch or
    (2) The the issues were caused by the authenticator or subsequent postage or
    (3) The buyer has caused these issues.

Luckily, I took a whole lot of photos before posting and the watch appears scratch free with a screwed in crown.

I just know they will side with the buyer and pass it back to me.

I have two watches left to sell and that’s me done with eBay for high value stuff :(

Master
    The same buyer or two different?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    The same buyer or two different?

Two different. The first one I can to an arrangement as conceded that neither of were a fault and I said I would send him some collars after I received some from Seiko.

When I spoke to the Ebay customer service rep, she said that the Watch would be re-checked through the Authenticator and if in the same condition returned to me but if not then returned to the buyer.

I’m suspect it is far easier for the authenticator to send the watch back to me than to generate potential problems returning it to the buyer and saying they are at fault. Returning the watch to me, means I have to sort it out ( potentially getting the crown repaired under warranty ).

It’s a good thing in theory but like most of ebay tending to always side with the buyer.

Master
    These are within a week or so of each other? Both buyers got good long history?