closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 139

Thread: eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

  1. #51
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Ebay put a warning up that you may need to pay fees when you cancel a listing. Itís not specific to watches and applies to anything that has a bid on it at the time of cancellation. No bid, no fee. Has a bid, you pay fees.

    Their rules and, as youíve found, they stick rigidly to them.
    This assumes an auction style listing though. Would be interested to know if the seller above was selling on an auction and the auction had live bids, i.e. it would have sold if it wasn't withdrawn.

  2. #52
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    This assumes an auction style listing though. Would be interested to know if the seller above was selling on an auction and the auction had live bids, i.e. it would have sold if it wasn't withdrawn.
    It does assume that. Ebay, however, are the Ryanair of the online auction companies and will have no end of rules to catch out the unwary.

  3. #53
    Craftsman AmosMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    288
    My auction was purely buy it now. No offers were live, I had just had some messages from unscrupulous buyers wanting to buy via bank transfer outside of eBay.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  4. #54
    Craftsman SydR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    770
    What did they charge you for then? I assumed you would just be liable for the listing fees.

  5. #55
    I think it's only if bids have been received & you cancel it with 24 hrs or less to go.

    I've been stung once but it was only for £9.00

    PS

    It does actually tell you that fee's may be charged when you go to cancel it.

    Sent from a technical device.
    Last edited by sickie; 17th July 2022 at 18:32.

  6. #56
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    My auction was purely buy it now. No offers were live, I had just had some messages from unscrupulous buyers wanting to buy via bank transfer outside of eBay.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    So was it an auction or buy it now or both!?

  7. #57
    Craftsman AmosMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    288
    Sorry for the confusion, it was listed as Buy it now. EBay charged me with final value fees, claiming this was due to selling the item outside of eBay. I appealed the fine, proved I owned the watch but they had no interest.

    Their system had flagged my account due to receiving these messages from sellers who wanted to buy outside of eBay.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  8. #58
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    12,115
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Sorry for the confusion, it was listed as Buy it now. EBay charged me with final value fees, claiming this was due to selling the item outside of eBay. I appealed the fine, proved I owned the watch but they had no interest.

    Their system had flagged my account due to receiving these messages from sellers who wanted to buy outside of eBay.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

    Did you ask them to look at your sent messages, rejecting the advances? I find it bizarre they would just assume you've sold it off-site?

  9. #59
    Craftsman AmosMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    288
    Yep sent copies of the messages had them check their account. The response was essentially, ďweíve flagged your account, we believe you have sold the itemĒ. Absolute shisters.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  10. #60
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Yep sent copies of the messages had them check their account. The response was essentially, ďweíve flagged your account, we believe you have sold the itemĒ. Absolute shisters.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Find this hard to comprehend.

    Know many people who have told me they have dealt outside eBay without any consequence. If you havenít broken their rules I donít see how they can enforce this on you. Generally they are reasonable so perhaps you need to escalate.

    Alternatively there may be some fine print which was not adhered to, which we are not seeing here. eBay certainly has plenty of fine print, I think we can all agree on that.

    As I say from my experience they have been reasonable but perhaps I have been lucky. I once had a £1 offer. The item was listed for 30 days and then it auto re listed. It then sold. I didnít obviously read the fine print which said the offer is only valid on the original listing not any subsequent relist.

    When I called to query why I was charged they waived it but informed me they were right to charge.

    Maybe times have changed and they are now just crooks which is what it sounds like in your example?

  11. #61
    Craftsman AmosMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    288

    eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

    Just found the chat transcript I had with them here is eBayís message.

    I raised a complaint along the lines of should I not get a warning rather than jumping straight to a fee. I received a message where they shared their contact details with me and I took no further action. I still own the item and can prove it.

    ďThank you for writing back to eBay Customer Service with regard to the final value fee charged in your account due to Off eBay sales.

    Alexander, while I understand your point, the charge still applies. Please note that we strongly do not allow our members to exchange contact information such as phone number, email, physical address, banking information or any link while a listing is ongoing. And please understand that we are doing this because we want all transactions to happen within eBay with our objective to protect both buyers and sellers.

    I would like to let you know that any transactions done outside eBay will give us less control, hence will give you less protection. And that's what we are deeply concerned about.

    I perfectly understand that there are specific scenarios where the buyer might want to check the item first in person, or possibly want to discover their sellerís exact location for pick up. In this case, I just want to remind you that once the item have been paid for the item, that is the only time you can provide or ask any contact information and arrange collection of the item.Ē
    Last edited by AmosMoses; 17th July 2022 at 22:56.

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Just found the chat transcript I had with them here is eBayís message.

    I raised a complaint along the lines of should I not get a warning rather than jumping straight to a fee. I received a message where they shared their contact details with me and I took no further action. I still own the item and can prove it.

    ďThank you for writing back to eBay Customer Service with regard to the final value fee charged in your account due to Off eBay sales.

    Alexander, while I understand your point, the charge still applies. Please note that we strongly do not allow our members to exchange contact information such as phone number, email, physical address, banking information or any link while a listing is ongoing. And please understand that we are doing this because we want all transactions to happen within eBay with our objective to protect both buyers and sellers.

    I would like to let you know that any transactions done outside eBay will give us less control, hence will give you less protection. And that's what we are deeply concerned about.

    I perfectly understand that there are specific scenarios where the buyer might want to check the item first in person, or possibly want to discover their sellerís exact location for pick up. In this case, I just want to remind you that once the item have been paid for the item, that is the only time you can provide or ask any contact information and arrange collection of the item.Ē
    Thatís a rubbish experience. This sounds a lot like <I hurt you because I love you>. Itís utter nonsense as a basis on which to fine their customers.

    Having said that, if contact details were exchanged (even if it was to check the item) and then the watch was pulled, I can sort of see how eBay would get shirty. One can just as easily get the buyer to take some pictures and say the item is in the sellerís possession.

    To be clear, Iím not saying thatís what you did and eBay should have just let it slide if there was doubt but it wouldnít take a genius to circumvent their fees if they allowed people to arrange meetings in private and listings disappeared afterwards.

  13. #63
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    1,738
    Iím just going through this process as a buyer for the first time. There seems to be some uncertainty about whether case backs are removed or not. Assuming they do, what do they do if that watch is oil or inert gas filled, eg Sinn?

  14. #64
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Iím just going through this process as a buyer for the first time. There seems to be some uncertainty about whether case backs are removed or not. Assuming they do, what do they do if that watch is oil or inert gas filled, eg Sinn?
    I am sure that they do NOT open it in that case!

    If they make a mistake then you'll just get your money back.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I am sure that they do NOT open it in that case!

    If they make a mistake then you'll just get your money back.
    I would actually assume the contrary (unfortunately).
    Their responsibility is engaged if there was to be an issue, why would they take the ďriskĒ of not opening a Sinn EZM with inert gas, not knowing what the movement looks like or in what condition it is?
    Especially as it would be part of what I expect to be a high amount of watches going through each day, that they would rush to open/check/close.
    They are not even assuming responsibility if there is a water resistance issue, as they open it but donít guarantee it afterwards

  16. #66
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    1,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    I would actually assume the contrary (unfortunately).
    Their responsibility is engaged if there was to be an issue, why would they take the ďriskĒ of not opening a Sinn EZM with inert gas, not knowing what the movement looks like or in what condition it is?
    Especially as it would be part of what I expect to be a high amount of watches going through each day, that they would rush to open/check/close.
    They are not even assuming responsibility if there is a water resistance issue, as they open it but donít guarantee it afterwards
    It is this which worries me. Rushing through the process without knowledge of the manufacturers specific requirements and special features, requiring specialist equipment to allow such an inspection to be completed and the watch to be closed and re-sealed to said manufacturers specification. I guess I just need to wait and see what happens.

  17. #67
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Their responsibility is engaged if there was to be an issue, why would they take the “risk” of not opening a Sinn EZM with inert gas, not knowing what the movement looks like or in what condition it is?
    Yes. They process thousands of watches. They're going to have to pay out eventually for errors. That's just part of the cost of doing business.

    So it comes down to a cost issue. Do they (a) spend money getting the equipment and skills needed to open, refill and reseal watches with gas or oil contents (assuming these are available to them at all), or (b) not open them and take a risk on not seeing the movement?

    I think it likely that they will just take a (very small) risk on not seeing the movement in some cases. Overall costs to them will be lower that way and, in truth, they are still likely to be able to do an adequate job of authenticating the watch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Especially as it would be part of what I expect to be a high amount of watches going through each day, that they would rush to open/check/close.
    If time is a constraint then this would surely just encourage them to avoid doing unnecessary or over-complex checks.

    Note that Stoll & Co. and the watchmakers they hire are not newbies. They should know as well as we do that some watches have specialist fillings and opening/sealing requirements. They aren't stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    They are not even assuming responsibility if there is a water resistance issue, as they open it but don’t guarantee it afterwards
    Do you have a source for that?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th September 2022 at 12:53.

  18. #68
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Rushing through the process without knowledge of the manufacturers specific requirements and special features, requiring specialist equipment to allow such an inspection to be completed and the watch to be closed and re-sealed to said manufacturers specification. I guess I just need to wait and see what happens.
    It doesn't matter. You'll get your money back if they damage it.

    I see nothing whatsoever to worry about, other than the very slight chance of not getting a watch you really want. You won't be left out of pocket.

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yes. They process thousands of watches. They're going to have to pay out eventually for errors. That's just part of the cost of doing business.

    So it comes down to a cost issue. Do they (a) spend money getting the equipment and skills needed to open, refill and reseal watches with gas or oil contents (assuming these are available to them at all), or (b) not open them and take a risk on not seeing the movement?

    I think it likely that they will just take a (very small) risk on not seeing the movement in some cases. Overall costs to them will be lower that way and, in truth, they are still likely to be able to do an adequate job of authenticating the watch.



    If time is a constraint then this would surely just encourage them to avoid doing unnecessary or over-complex checks.

    Note that Stoll & Co. and the watchmakers they hire are not newbies. They should know as well as we do that some watches have specialist fillings and opening/sealing requirements. They aren't stupid.



    Do you have a source for that?
    I will just keep playing it safe when it comes to inert gas filled watches, and assume a non Sinn certified watchmaker will not be taking that into consideration and is likely not to have the equipment/parts for that sort of thing.
    But it is only based on my perception of the problem, not any fact/evidence.


    Regarding the waterproofness, I am 99% sure I read on some card attached to an authenticated eBay watch how vague they are on the waterproofing and not advertising it being controlled.
    For what it is worth, this article mentions it too but then again, hard to know how much it is based on facts, might be useful contacting eBay to ensure that.
    Not playing against eBay or anything, just trying to be realistic:

    https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/202...tch-from-ebay/

  20. #70
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    I will just keep playing it safe when it comes to inert gas filled watches, and assume a non Sinn certified watchmaker will not be taking that into consideration and is likely not to have the equipment/parts for that sort of thing.
    But it is only based on my perception of the problem, not any fact/evidence.


    Regarding the waterproofness, I am 99% sure I read on some card attached to an authenticated eBay watch how vague they are on the waterproofing and not advertising it being controlled.
    For what it is worth, this article mentions it too but then again, hard to know how much it is based on facts, might be useful contacting eBay to ensure that.
    Not playing against eBay or anything, just trying to be realistic:

    https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/202...tch-from-ebay/
    I agree that one must play it safe with one's own watches, as one sees fit.

    Thanks for the source on the waterproofing.

  21. #71
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    1,738
    Well mine has been 'authenticated' and is on its way to me, supposedly delivery tomorrow. That's a very quick turnaround. Will see what evidence there is of the case having been opened (Ar compromise).

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Well mine has been 'authenticated' and is on its way to me, supposedly delivery tomorrow. That's a very quick turnaround. Will see what evidence there is of the case having been opened (Ar compromise).
    Not sure you would have a definitive way to know.
    Which Sinn did you get out of curiosity?

  23. #73
    Master earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tether's End, Lincs
    Posts
    3,713
    Quite the can-of-worms this caseback opening - e.g. fairly sure only Sinn have the tools and know-how to refill and reseal one of their oil-filled watches.

    Surely of widest concern is that ebay simply won't guarantee waterprooofness to depth-rating after opening any watch. To me that instantly devalues the watch, and instantly ensures I'll neither buy nor sell through them.

    Typically for ebay, they want their cake and eat it: all the profit, negligible accountability.

  24. #74
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Surely of widest concern is that ebay simply won't guarantee waterprooofness to depth-rating after opening any watch.
    They don't say that anywhere, as far as I have been able to find.

    On the other hand, they don't make an explicit guarantee either, that I've been able to find.

    As for oil or gas filled watches in particular, I still don't see any reasonable likelihood of a problem. It seems extraordinarily unlikely that they'd be foolish enough to open them and, as I mentioned, they realistically don't really need to open them to be able to reasonably authenticate them.

  25. #75
    My sister bought a watch through eBay which went through the authentication process. What they didnít pick up on was that the watch was a different model to the one she bought so was 28mm instead of the 33mm she wanted!

  26. #76
    Craftsman wrigles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Mostly Manchester..
    Posts
    272
    Ive just received a Sinn watch thats gone through this process.. it was all very quick.. I can't see any evidence to suggest the back was taken off. From what I can establish in this case.. if documents are present.. it would be a quick reference check on serials. I cant see how else they would do a 24hr turnaround.

    The watch was delivered with a paper security seal around the bracelet which if broken would void return.....there was also a NFC tag to detail the authentication... it didn't reveal any of the processes used to verify authenticity.

  27. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    They don't say that anywhere, as far as I have been able to find.

    On the other hand, they don't make an explicit guarantee either, that I've been able to find.

    As for oil or gas filled watches in particular, I still don't see any reasonable likelihood of a problem. It seems extraordinarily unlikely that they'd be foolish enough to open them and, as I mentioned, they realistically don't really need to open them to be able to reasonably authenticate them.
    You seem to assume that they will know a gas or oil filled watch from any other - I think they wonít and will only find out once thereís oil everywhere (or gas, but they wonít notice).
    I wouldnít risk it personally.

  28. #78
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    My sister bought a watch through eBay which went through the authentication process. What they didnít pick up on was that the watch was a different model to the one she bought so was 28mm instead of the 33mm she wanted!
    Whoops. When they don't see something so obvious (one would think size checking would be part of their standard procedure) then one might worry a little more about whether or not they'd recognise that a watch shouldn't be opened.

  29. #79
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    You seem to assume that they will know a gas or oil filled watch from any other
    Yes. The people employed by Stoll (eBay's subcontractor) are watchmakers. I certainly would expect them to recognise brands and models that have special opening requirements and special fillings.

    Even if the individuals doing the job aren't personally familiar with every brand and every model (no one person can be, of course), I'd further expect a company like Stoll, which has been dong this for a long time now, to have a set of procedures and checklists which would allow the individual who is checking a watch to be able to see at a glance if it is a model that should not be opened.

    I readily admit that the above are largely assumptions and it's up to you as to whether or not to risk it, but personally I'd happily 'risk' it.

  30. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yes. The people employed by Stoll (eBay's subcontractor) are watchmakers. I certainly would expect them to recognise brands and models that have special opening requirements and special fillings.

    Even if the individuals doing the job aren't personally familiar with every brand and every model (no one person can be, of course), I'd further expect a company like Stoll, which has been dong this for a long time now, to have a set of procedures and checklists which would allow the individual who is checking a watch to be able to see at a glance if it is a model that should not be opened.

    I readily admit that the above are largely assumptions and it's up to you as to whether or not to risk it, but personally I'd happily 'risk' it.
    Thatís fair enough but as you say, based on several assumptions. I suppose Iím just less trusting than you are.
    Iím sure we will hear more about how this service performs over time.

  31. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    Thatís fair enough but as you say, based on several assumptions. I suppose Iím just less trusting than you are.
    Iím sure we will hear more about how this service performs over time.
    Have used it as a buyer, would use again. Itís been running for a while now and Iíve not heard many horror stories.

    No company is perfect, there will be errors. I just got a watch back from an omega manufacturer service and it came back with two hour-hands and no minute-hand. It boggles my mind how that gets done and through some sort of quality control but I guess itís a case of being so focused on the little details, you miss the big things.

    I imagine that if Stoll said a watch was genuine, you then had it serviced by Sinn and they said it wasnít, you would have a chance to take it up with eBay.

    Even if you still donít like it, whatís the alternative? Thereís always risk and this service is free.

  32. #82
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,504
    Have used it before and think it works well. Takes a lot of the scam aspect away if you are a seller and obviously gives you confidence as a buyer.

    I spoke to an eBay agent on telephone about it recently. They said there are four watchmakers employed by Stroll who between them have 100 years experience.

  33. #83
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    5,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    They said there are four watchmakers employed by Stroll who between them have 100 years experience.
    Hope it's not three with 33 years experience and one with 1 ;)

  34. #84

    eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Have used it as a buyer, would use again. Itís been running for a while now and Iíve not heard many horror stories.

    No company is perfect, there will be errors. I just got a watch back from an omega manufacturer service and it came back with two hour-hands and no minute-hand. It boggles my mind how that gets done and through some sort of quality control but I guess itís a case of being so focused on the little details, you miss the big things.

    I imagine that if Stoll said a watch was genuine, you then had it serviced by Sinn and they said it wasnít, you would have a chance to take it up with eBay.

    Even if you still donít like it, whatís the alternative? Thereís always risk and this service is free.
    I can always choose to not use eBay and then have control over when my watch is opened and by who (and whether itís pressure tested/seals checked afterwards).
    I get that some appreciate the service but I donít like that it is mandatory and completely without communicating (as I understand it) to the new owner what has been done by the watchmakers checking it.
    Last edited by AdmiralNilsson; 6th September 2022 at 19:10.

  35. #85
    Craftsman ozzyb123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Iím just going through this process as a buyer for the first time. There seems to be some uncertainty about whether case backs are removed or not. Assuming they do, what do they do if that watch is oil or inert gas filled, eg Sinn?
    Regarding inert gasses i was always taught they are better out than in.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #86
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    completely without communicating (as I understand it) to the new owner what has been done by the watchmakers checking it.
    Yes, I would much prefer that they give a detailed list of what has been done. Transparency is all, or should be, when dealing with other people's property.

  37. #87
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm assuming to authenticate a watch, they open the back up to check the movement. I'd have concerns about this...if a watch goes back to the manufacturer and the back is opened up, I'd probably expect new seals and a pressure test. I very much doubt eBay does this. How would this effect things like warranties should the buyer end up with water ingress?

    I really only want my watches being opened up by the manufacturer or a trusted independent...not some unknown third party.
    Itíll void the warranty so potentially not so great for the buyer unless theyíre planning on a service anyway.

    In practice though, Iíd rather have a watch maker remove and replace the case back than risk being sent a fake. Gives me confidence to buy and sell. I might try it out this week.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  38. #88
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    1,738
    Received my purchase today. The seller posted it Saturday. It arrived with the authenticator yesterday (Monday) AM and was dispatched by them to me the same afternoon. It arrived today. Certainly a quick turnaround. I have no concerns regarding the packaging, or the contents on arrival, but the question remains as to what exactly was done. Was the Sinn AR tech compromised by opening the case back? I might spend a little time chasing to see if I can get confirmation from Stoll & Co what was done.

  39. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Received my purchase today. The seller posted it Saturday. It arrived with the authenticator yesterday (Monday) AM and was dispatched by them to me the same afternoon. It arrived today. Certainly a quick turnaround. I have no concerns regarding the packaging, or the contents on arrival, but the question remains as to what exactly was done. Was the Sinn AR tech compromised by opening the case back? I might spend a little time chasing to see if I can get confirmation from Stoll & Co what was done.
    Even if it has been opened don't think it's a big deal, the tech isn't a game changer.

  40. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Received my purchase today. The seller posted it Saturday. It arrived with the authenticator yesterday (Monday) AM and was dispatched by them to me the same afternoon. It arrived today. Certainly a quick turnaround. I have no concerns regarding the packaging, or the contents on arrival, but the question remains as to what exactly was done. Was the Sinn AR tech compromised by opening the case back? I might spend a little time chasing to see if I can get confirmation from Stoll & Co what was done.
    Good news!
    Will be interested to know if you can get some details about what had been done/whatís guarantees/what they are testing

  41. #91
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I might spend a little time chasing to see if I can get confirmation from Stoll & Co what was done.
    It will be interesting to see if you can get any info from them and, if so, what they tell you. Good luck.

  42. #92

    eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

    I might have overlooked something, but at a glance the company seems to be in the US (Ohio). So every watch above the value threshold will have to take an American detour - is that correct? That seems mad.

  43. #93
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    I might have overlooked something, but at a glance the company seems to be in the US (Ohio). So every watch above the value threshold will have to take an American detour - is that correct? That seems mad.
    No, they set up a UK branch to handle eBay's UK authentication business. They are based in Ruislip.

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5951159
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5946641

    https://find-and-update.company-info...mpany/BR023769
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th September 2022 at 16:17.

  44. #94
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    16,334
    Based in Ruislip.

    RS STOLL & Co. UK

    Rapid, Hawkers Yard Unit 21a Stonefield Way, Ruislip, HA4 0BH

    Type of business - Inspection And Authentication Of High End Wrist Watches

    https://find-and-update.company-info...mpany/BR023769
    ______

    ​Jim.

  45. #95
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,426
    Blog Entries
    1
    I’ve sold through the scheme once and it turned out to be a smooth operation.

    It didn’t occur to me that they would open the caseback, I assumed the check was more basic. I.e. stick it on a timegrapher (see if the beat rate is correct etc), examine the watch from the outside, check the serial number against any paperwork etc. I didn’t expect it to be particularly thorough.

    If they open up the caseback within warranty then there’s a whole heap of trouble awaiting when manufacturers start voiding warranties.
    Last edited by Berty234; 7th September 2022 at 17:14.

  46. #96

    eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ah okay, not too bad then. Will a EU buyer, buying a watch from the EU then have to pay import fees from the UK after inspection?
    Last edited by AdmiralNilsson; 7th September 2022 at 17:42.

  47. #97
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    If they open up the caseback within warranty then there’s a whole heap of trouble awaiting when manufacturers start voiding warranties.
    Yes. See the thread about the Tudor watch and voided Tudor warranty: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Advice-please

    In that case, if I remember correctly, the Tudor warranty was voided because external work had been done to the watch. But it would probably have been voided anyway if Tudor had been able to detect that the case had been opened.

    So yes, in my opinion don't sell watches that are still within their manufacturer's warranty period via eBay if you don't want the warranty to be voided.

    This caveat assumes that the manufacturer's warranty would in fact be voided if the watch was opened for authentication purposes with no actual work being done to it. This is of course manufacturer-specific. I suspect that not all manufacturers would necessarily be as quick to void their warranty as Tudor was. But check with the manufacturer.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th September 2022 at 20:30.

  48. #98
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,350
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    Ah okay, not too bad then. Will a EU buyer, buying a watch from the EU then have to pay import fees from the UK after inspection?
    Read the documentation. :-) The authentication scheme is country-specific. As far as I know it only operates (so far) in the USA and UK (UK for about a year now). Also it does not cover international sales (not that you asked about those).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th September 2022 at 20:35.

  49. #99

    eBay authentication of watches now £1500 and up

    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Read the documentation. :-) The authentication scheme is country-specific. As far as I know it only operates (so far) in the USA and UK (UK for about a year now). Also it does not cover international sales (not that you asked about those).
    But I would rather speculate wildly while in the toilet :).
    You are right, Iíll leave it be.
    Last edited by AdmiralNilsson; 7th September 2022 at 21:38.

  50. #100
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,504
    Highly doubt they open the case back due to all reasons mentioned and plus it is probably a 3 min per watch inspection.

    On eBay UK site they state the following. Note, no mention of movement inspection:

    Multi-point inspection
    Independent authenticators verify multiple inspection points, including the crown, bezel, dial, case, clasp/buckle, hands, end links, and reference number.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information