closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passed over for promotion - WARNING LONG RANT

Craftsman

Passed over for promotion - WARNING LONG RANT

I’ve been with my employer for 15 years now, working in technology. I work with a number of woman although the tech industry is perceived to be male dominant.

A few years ago one of the woman was promoted. I kicked of with my manager as I believed I deserved it far more than her. I argued that this woman was average at best and I had been there years longer in fact I trained her for the role. So how could her promotion be justified? My boss gives me a load of nonsense and promises to get me bumped up and that I would be next in line.

Cut to today and again out of the blue another one of the woman has been promoted. Same story as before I’ve been with the company for years longer and I trained her for the role.

Again I have it out with my boss. Basically he admitted it came down to gender. He’s been instructed from up top that promotions, bonuses, pay rises need to go to the woman first. There’s seams to be this anti man campaign going on and I have to admit I’m getting tired of it.

Apologies for the rant, just had to vent out some frustration. I’m in tech so I don’t have any real life friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a management position?

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    I’ve been with my employer for 15 years now, working in technology. I work with a number of woman although the tech industry is perceived to be male dominant.

A few years ago one of the woman was promoted. I kicked of with my manager as I believed I deserved it far more than her. I argued that this woman was average at best and I had been there years longer in fact I trained her for the role. So how could her promotion be justified? My boss gives me a load of nonsense and promises to get me bumped up and that I would be next in line.

Cut to today and again out of the blue another one of the woman has been promoted. Same story as before I’ve been with the company for years longer and I trained her for the role.

Again I have it out with my boss. Basically he admitted it came down to gender. He’s been instructed from up top that promotions, bonuses, pay rises need to go to the woman first. There’s seams to be this anti man campaign going on and I have to admit I’m getting tired of it.

Apologies for the rant, just had to vent out some frustration. I’m in tech so I don’t have any real life friends.

You are in tech meaning you will find it very easy to get a new job. I'd vote with my feet if I were in your position.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post

Leave and sue for discrimination and constructive dismissal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Maybe it's a missionary position?

Blog Entries
    Look for another job. When you find one that you like leave and give the minimum notice. Don't let them talk you round. Did a similar thing years ago and it feels so good when you tell them.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Sadly positive discrimination has been going on for some time now. I experienced it when I was looking to join the police and it has been rife in finance for many year. It has become less and less who is best/right for the job and more about making a more diverse top table even if the ability is reduced.

I went contracting many moons ago to avoid the office politics. I don’t regret it one bit.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 2nd March 2022 at 19:56.

Master
    Sex change. Transgender surely prioritised over females.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Find new job, resign, don't negotiate. No theatrics, no anger, just business.

In parallel with finding a new job and before handing in notice of resignation, consult with solicitor about taking legal action for constructive dismissal.

P.S. That's not too long a message, I promise.

Master
    Companies are allowed to take affirmative action but in my company (financial services industry) some of the steps being taken are going too far in my opinion. For example, they recently launched a new leadership development program which is only open to women and ethnic minorities, since they are under represented at leadership levels

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Pretty shabby treatment given that you trained both of those promoted! If I was in your boots, I would be looking ‘PDQ’ for another employer! I get why you are well *issed off and amazed your boss admitted this policy of discrimination to you!
    I wish you luck in ultimately resolving this to some level of satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Leave and sue for discrimination and constructive dismissal.
    That costs money, and compensation is based entirely on what you have lost financially.

If you drop into another job, the financial losses may be minimal.

Master
    We’re you given the opportunity to apply for either role or did they just promote them?

Master
    In this day and age, try not to take it personally. Just leave.

Long gone are the days where an employer is faithful to its employees. It’s all about profit and perception these days.

Master
    Tell them you identify as non-binary. That gives you priority and legal protection.

Leave, and make sure let the most senior person in the company know exactly why

Also if your boss actually admitted that sue them
    Last edited by adrianw; 2nd March 2022 at 20:12.

Was there a spelling test?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Not a management role, purely Technical

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just leave for a better role. Don’t look back and don’t bother with the legal stuff otherwise you will mark yourself out as trouble for the rest of your career.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    We’re you given the opportunity to apply for either role or did they just promote them?
    The first role i questioned why it wasn’t posted internally as was the procedure. He told me it was, but when I checked it was advertised for exactly one day when ordinarily it should be posted for at least 4 weeks. The second role no posting at all, just promoted in place.

Craftsman
    Stop training the queue jumpers up.

I was similarly screwed over a year or so ago, since then if it's not my job I don't do it. Several times since I've been asked to go over and above, essentially working for nothing, I now explain that yes, if they want it done to the best standard I would the right person but no I won't be doing it because it's not my job and they've used up their goodwill allowance with me. The look on my line managers face is one of reluctantly understanding resignation.

If it wasn't so convenient location wise I would have switched company.

Ultimately you might now be in a position where promotion is not going to happen. It's an awful position to be in but the best thing for you is to accept that and move on, either mentally or physically.

Sent from my T781 using Tapatalk

Going through a very similar situation at the moment ,guy i trained etc .
    As a result i now do the very bare minimum i am required to do ,no suggestions relating to task improvement ,no input into meetings, no availability regarding overtime .
    Spend as much time as possible causing as many problems as i can while fulfilling the obligations of my contract .
    Applying for other jobs as i write .
    Got to admit it feels good when i am asked to help when problem arises that i could sort out in my sleep,and i tell them to get the "new" guy to sort it as it's beyond my capabilities .

Leave and get the same promotion elsewhere.

The fact you trained them means nothing. You can train someone and they end up better than you. Happens everyday.

Decide what you want more, the promotion or the company.

Master
    Sorry for your predicament, I would suggest two courses of action tandem with your looking for a new job

1) Dont tell you prospective employer why you want to leave, any discussion will draw negative attention, instead tell them why You want to join them

2) Dont slam the door behind you, you may need a reference.

In summary move on , dont let these last two events eat you up.

Steve

Some good advice here.

Don't resent the successful candidates, focus on your strengths.

Move on. No doubt you have a lot to offer. Stay positive.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Going through a very similar situation at the moment ,guy i trained etc .
    As a result i now do the very bare minimum i am required to do ,no suggestions relating to task improvement ,no input into meetings, no availability regarding overtime .
    Spend as much time as possible causing as many problems as i can while fulfilling the obligations of my contract .
    Applying for other jobs as i write .
    Got to admit it feels good when i am asked to help when problem arises that i could sort out in my sleep,and i tell them to get the "new" guy to sort it as it's beyond my capabilities .
    I can't recommend that plan of action. By the time you leave, they will be happy to see you go. Your reference could accurately reflect that.

Craftsman
    Understandable that you’re upset but one thing to point out: years of service mean nothing.

I had a guy working for me that had more years service than the rest of the team together. Great person, hard worker and asked every quarter when he’d be promoted.

Burned him every time he saw some new upstart come in and leave him behind.

Despite many conversations on what he needed to do to progress, the light bulb never came on for him and he’s still in the same role now.

Maybe not the same situation as yours OP, but as many people have replied - you have to take responsibility for your own career.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’d find a job elsewhere asap & then simply leave, life’s far too short to be unhappy at your work.
    Personally - I wouldn’t get any lawyer involved for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Dont slam the door behind you, you may need a reference.
    Do people still give references? I thought companies just confirmed that you'd worked for them, and said nothing more for fear of being sued?

An acquaintance of mine is an HR Director in the music industry, she told me that whilst she guides the comoany towards positive discrimination she fully admits that it's exactly that, as in discrimination. She also told me that all those in her position feel as if their hands are tied, even though she can see through it all if that agenda wasn't pushed she'd be out of a job. To speak against integration and inclusion (or whatever you wish to call it) earns you the label of an ...ist

If glass ceilings exist, in any context, due to stereotype or bias then I fully believe that the system should be tested, the fallout from this is where bias steers the ship against hiring the right person for the job. I'd imagine it feels pretty sickening to be at the butt end of such decisions

Craftsman
    Really appreciate all the support and helpful comments. Feel a lot less angry than this afternoon for sure

Stay in your job and destroy the company from within

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    God, I hope not.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I'd imagine it feels pretty sickening to be at the butt end of such decisions
    just something people are going to have to bet used to, after all women/non-white british have had to suck it up for decades.

Master
    I spent 10 years in my previous job. After yet another year end of no pay rise or bonus and a discussion about such ending in being told I shouldn’t have bought a car I finally took job hunting seriously. I’m now 2 months into an exciting new job being paid way more than before and enjoying life again.
    My advice. Find a new employer, offer 1 months notice and then leave. Don’t be a richard about it but just leave.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hehe, I wondered the same thing

Master
    As said I'd move on, been in a similar situation and hung around on the promise of being next and it never happened.

No point complaining about the recruitment as it's always better to leave on your terms and with a good feeling all round.
    My wife's work advertised a job as may close early if number of applicants was high, it was also advertised incorrectly, as they had one person in mind for the role, and that person managed to find it and apply the applications closed.
    Thankfully it gets a person who talks a good game but can't deliver off the wife's team.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Do people still give references? I thought companies just confirmed that you'd worked for them, and said nothing more for fear of being sued?
    Pretty much.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    As I understand it, companies only confirm your having worked for them in any reference requests.

Master
    My current role that I started in January needed references from past 5 years which covered two employers both were contacted with a whole raft of questions.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I had similar years ago when I worked for a consultancy. Promotion went to someone with less experience than me, I got a contract the next week and walked (I had a long list of stuff they’d done which I could have taken legal action on but didn’t) contracting isn’t for everyone, but I enjoy the lack of politics, getting judged in my skills and getting well paid for it.

Master

Passed over for promotion - WARNING LONG RANT

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    just something people are going to have to bet used to, after all women/non-white british have had to suck it up for decades.
    How does work for an 18 year old. They’ve hardly benefited from it. But, just maybe you have, so instead of them sucking it up, why not donate 50% of your pension and downsize your house and help out someone your generation has discriminated against. All discrimination is wrong.
    Last edited by Rodder; 3rd March 2022 at 00:11.

Bloody womanses

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    My current role that I started in January needed references from past 5 years which covered two employers both were contacted with a whole raft of questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    As I understand it, companies only confirm your having worked for them in any reference requests.
    That was certainly my understanding. From memory, last place I worked, the reference requests never got anywhere near the former manager; HR dealt with them.

I assume you’d be entitled to see any reference given about you so a former employer would be very ill advised to say anything not absolutely factual.

Read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    How does work for an 18 year old. They’ve hardly benefited from it. But, just maybe you have, so instead of them sucking it up, why not donate 50% of your pension and downsize your house and help out someone your generation has discriminated against. All discrimination is wrong.
    in my chosen profession i haven’t really benefited from being a man and a slight detriment coming from a council estate and not getting any parental support.
    what house? are you suggesting a studio flat to downsize to?
    what pension?
    and what about the 18year old women?

It's aways nice to see the ladies crack through the glass ceiling.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Do the office scene from “Fight Club”

Or deep breath shake off the feeling of rejection which is corrosive, its not you it’s positive discrimination.

Get applying for new role and feel invigorated again.

And of course buy a new watch the day you start new job.

Master
    I lost my job in November. I was putting feelers out in January at a few firms (investment management). Representatives from two separate firms told me that they're only hiring women at the minute because there's too many men in the industry.

I found a job, in a related field but different to what I was originally looking for, which I start on Monday but it was a strange experience.

Funnily enough, one of the best friends was one of the two representatives who told me that her firm isn't taking on men at the moment. She is an Asian woman and her firm is really pushing her to be a fairly public face of the firm. I told her to just go with it if it helps her.

I'm a council estate boy done good. I honestly don't believe that a twenty year younger version of me would have a hope in hell of getting my career now.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk