closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best bang for buck micro brands

Master
    I'd also throw Gavox into the mix. I've had a few email chats with Michael the owner and he's a great enthusiast - I got one of their limited edition Roads models a few years back and it's very well screwed together and the metal bracelet is surprisingly weighty. Not at all like the rattly efforts that often seem to come with watches at a similar price point.

SGR

Never heard of Gavox.
    Checked them out. Good shout.

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond View Post
    Just to add a bit more nuance about Maen. I ordered the original Hudson 38mm through Kickstarter, and yes, it was pretty far from satisfactory. Crown fell off, lume poor, etc. To their credit, they put it right and at the same time changed the old hands for the new ones. But not a good experience.

Later I ordered their Hudson Mk III, and that's a different beast altogether. Clearly a new manufacturer is involved, and the bezel and crown work perfectly. The case is a vast improvement, much crisper and up there in quality with Christopher Ward, i.e. very good indeed for the price. FWIW, the STP1-11 ETA 2824-clone is very accurate, and nicely decorated.

So from my experience, maybe they've got their act together. But clearly, your mileage may vary wildly. Maybe they're a bit higher risk than other microbrands, but it's not all bad news.
    Interesting to read, I was left very disappointed, there was no remedy offered to owners of the white dialed watches, they just didn't produce updated hands for that model. I liked the watch despite all the problems, it's a great size and design.

I guess that their continued operations point to improvements all round. Perhaps I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used updated version.

Master
    Can only comment on ones I've owned (makes sense I suppose) so:
    Helson shark diver, one of my all time favourites. Love the design, maybe not the most refined but excellent value for the money.
    Christopher Ward, excellent finishing. Had a few of these now but always seem to move them on as I don't want to risk bashing them and I have my Omega for my good watch.
    Scurfa, solid watch and again excellent value for the money. Great diver watches made for divers by a diver, what more can you ask for in a dive watch (shameless plug, I have one for sale on SC😁).

Others I've owned which I'd recommend, Helm, Zelos and Haldor (their Abissi Diver is great for knocking fence posts in!).

Journeyman
    There are some really good looking watches that I’ve never heard of here! Nice to see something a bit different 👍🏻

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    Never heard of Gavox.
    Checked them out. Good shout.
    I had a watch from his previous venture Techne which had a really unique style and was overall a well made package for the price.
    I think micro brand have really progressed with their offerings since though and some of the output in the £400-£1k range is exceptional.

I
    think micro brand have really progressed with their offerings since though and some of the output in the £400-£1k range is exceptional.
    I agree, feels like a bit of a golden age, the variety of watches available at all price points must be the widest it's been for decades.

Makina I think are great bang for the buck

Due to the bath on resale prices it might be worth looking for used examples. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation and grab a bargain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Due to the bath on resale prices it might be worth looking for used examples. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation and grab a bargain.
    Agree to an extent but some of the better examples can be hard to get hold of over here. Most seem to come up every now and again though if you are patient but not always at a bargain price.
    Ming, Laventure & Halios spring to mind as having all (or 1 in the case of Halios) their models selling above retail s/h.

Another set off microbrands worth checking out that I didn't spot listed are (i've not owned most of these but reviews have generally seemed favourable):
    6B (GasGasBones)
    WT Author
    MHD
    Isotope
    Opphav
    Bremoir
    NTH
    Raven
    Aevig
    Vesuviate
    MKII
    Visitor

Then more expensive (£1k+):
    Bravur
    Ophion
    Semper & Adhuc

There really are just so many brands out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Ming, Laventure & Halios spring to mind as having all (or 1 in the case of Halios) their models selling above retail s/h.
    Time Factors, too, if ebay is anything to go by . . . .

Great thread btw -- nice to have a definitive list.

Remember there's also a resurgence in "resurrected" brands. Obviously Eddie has Smiths and Newmark has already been mentioned but Vertex, Nivada Grenchen etc etc are all back in business. Most have little or no connection / continuity with the original brand but it's nice to see some old names back on some very nice dials.

Edit -- Good thread on resurrected brands here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...and-relaunches
    Last edited by Rev-O; 3rd March 2022 at 18:27.

Blog Entries
    Not everything Gruppo Gamma produce are huge, a limited edition (100) made for the facebook divers watch forum

Just incoming from E Bay

Last edited by mart broad; 3rd March 2022 at 18:45.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

This has caught my eye from Wolbrook. 39.5mm case size. Has anyone tried them?

Phoibos ,got a couple ,worth a look.!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Agree to an extent but some of the better examples can be hard to get hold of over here. Most seem to come up every now and again though if you are patient but not always at a bargain price.

Another set off microbrands worth checking out that I didn't spot listed are (i've not owned most of these but reviews have generally seemed favourable):
    6B (GasGasBones)
    WT Author
    MHD
    Isotope
    Opphav
    Bremoir
    NTH
    Raven
    Aevig
    Vesuviate
    MKII
    Visitor

Then more expensive (£1k+):
    Bravur
    Ophion
    Semper & Adhuc

There really are just so many brands out there now.
    Speaking of Opphav I was going to buy one of their watches but not found much on their dispatch seems like a lot of people are still waiting on orders which put me off a bit.

If we are going over 1k then please dont overlook

Satory Billard
    Lundis Bleus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    TAG are not a micro brand

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I know the Tag isn't exactly a micro brand but as a 'playing out' watch it has some front. Tad over 2k for the three.

Playing out....

Everyday...

Dress.....

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I just got this prototype in form Draken to review and for the money its impressive I think

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Very Damasko-ish!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    ^^^ Very Damasko-ish!
    ish?

That just looks Danny Dyer level pwoppa naughty to me (and not in a good way)

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    ^^^ Very Damasko-ish!
    I said that to them :) plus the lugs has the same style as the EZM range

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I said that to them :) plus the lugs has the same style as the EZM range
    Must be convergent evolution. ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Speaking of Opphav I was going to buy one of their watches but not found much on their dispatch seems like a lot of people are still waiting on orders which put me off a bit.

If we are going over 1k then please dont overlook

Satory Billard
    Lundis Bleus
    Ooops, I meant to put Straum in the list as Opphav is the model. Shame to hear if it's a general issue - Would have liked to have seen one on here and get some feedback. I'm sorely tempted by the green Opphav on bracelet. I like the look of integrated watches and this is cheap enough to be worth a bit of a risk, but I should probably use my last slot for a funky summer diver of some kind.

I was going to add Lundis Bleus but they \re generally regarded as a bit overpriced which is why I didn't. Nice looking watches though.

Craftsman
    To be honest the size of the Opphav also puts me off a bit, especially with the integrated style bracelet.

I've already got the anOrdain covered luckily so the long wait list won't be a problem.

I've followed Satory Billard over the last couple of years and they do put out some great combos!

Lorier Neptune - Love mine!

Sent using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Fine Watches Berlin. Really lovely Bauhaus style watch.

Some bangers here

Like a lot of them, might try and blag the New Halios Seaforth, but some food for thought for sure*

*Not Tag though, not a micro brand

This, titanium dual-case with four-point anti-shock suspension system and custom movement

Blog Entries
    Some bangers here

Like a lot of them, might try and blag the New Halios Seaforth, but some food for thought for sure*

*Not Tag though, not a micro brand
    Appreciate the Tag is probably more than you wanted to spend.

Appreciate the Tag is probably more than you wanted to spend.
    To be fair maybe not sh, don't really have an affinity to the brand tbh

Blog Entries
    To be fair maybe not sh, don't really have an affinity to the brand tbh
    Fair enough was only a fun tongue in cheek suggestion.

Fair enough was only a fun tongue in cheek suggestion.
    I know ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I just got this prototype in form Draken to review and for the money its impressive I think

Just done a pre order on the black version at £300 got to worth a punt
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just done a pre order on the black version at £300 got to worth a punt
    I'm sure your not going to be disappoint Sir

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    This has caught my eye from Wolbrook. 39.5mm case size. Has anyone tried them?

Yes, I got one of their original Worldtimer watches that ran as a Kickstarter campaign. It's a Mechaquartz which runs very reliably and the overall level of finishing is pretty good. Case doesn't perhaps have the weight / heft I might have expected, and my model came on a NATO so I cannot vouch for the quality of their metal bracelets - usually the weak link (pardon the pun) when it comes this price point.

SGR

This thread is probably my greatest source of temptation at the moment, because these are all so accessible.
    So, stop that!*

*Don't stop!

Craftsman
    There's one in Oxford that have some interesting designs that are a bit different, Radcliffe. https://www.radcliffewatches.com/

The new RZE models look very interesting: https://www.rzewatches.com/pages/res...22-launch-page

If one does facebook then the league of microbrands is a nice page for temptation.