closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bang for buck micro brands

Best bang for buck micro brands

If you had upto 2k to spend on a 3 watch collection from micro brands what would you buy

Need a dressy ish one, a playing out one and an everyday one

When I go diving in the sea it's normally max 4 ft

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    You could do worse than Helm and it’ll only cost you about £250….arguably probably one of the best ‘bang for your buck’ you can get.

Scurfa, MWC and Spinnaker for me.

What size??
    Gruppo gamma are good fun but pretty big. I have one of their bronze watches and feel you could take it anywhere. I've even taken mine 5 ft underwater-it survived the test...

Not huge, don't like big watches ie over 42

Journeyman
    I really like anordain for their stunning dials. They're towards the dressy end and I think they are around the £1k mark

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    I currently have a Ginault and a Formex. Both cost around the 1k mark and match the quality of watches several times more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I currently have a Ginault and a Formex. Both cost around the 1k mark and match the quality of watches several times more expensive.
    Heard a lot about Formex

Master
    Eddie's

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Eddie's
    I have those already in the bag

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Heard a lot about Formex
    I have the Essence 39mm. Great size, beautifully finished and with a COSC certified SW200 movement. The bracelet drapes around the wrist perfectly and comes with its version of an 'easylink' that, at least for my wrist size, offers just enough but not too much flexibility. It's still a small company with a very strong focus on customer service so dealing with them either by phone or email is a pleasure.

Personally wouldn't look too far from Traska for the everyday one. I have the Freediver. The scratch-resistant coating means it's stayed perfect so far.
    All 4 of their models look great and none over £450 at today's exchange rate.
    Here's mine:

I also love my Erroyl Heritage dress watch.

I have the white but if you like the black model that's currently on sale at under £155.

That'd leave you the best part of £1500 for something really special. At that money I'd be looking at a 2nd hand Brellum or 2nd hand Schofield

or if you want new I'd head straight to Monta or Oak & Oscar. You could also get one of the more special/interesting Zelos. People also like Orion but I've not experienced one first hand.

As above I've heard good things about Anordain in the £1000-ish range but never tried one. Similarly I really like the look of Farer - I think a few Tz-ers have had one.
    If you fancy something inexpensive and a bit out there Brew's Metric is fun!
    Another dressier one I like the look of - but haven't experienced - is the Dufrane Waterloo.

Enjoy the hunt - Microbrands are amazing.

Craftsman
    So many really good choices with Microbrands......... I've had good experiences with Baltic, Circula, Marnuat, Helson, Lorier, Spinnaker

Quote Originally Posted by wangas View Post
    I really like anordain for their stunning dials. They're towards the dressy end and I think they are around the £1k mark

Were

Apparently there is a 2 year “Waiting list” for one now too

Not huge, don't like big watches ie over 42
    Guinand

Like Sinn but several hundred pound cheaper

Craftsman
    Serica 4512 (field watch, circa £600) or 3703 (dive, a bit more expensive). I have the former and really like it for feel, finish and looks.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s a bit obvious but I’d probably say a Baltic, a Lorier and a Boldr. Models according to taste.

I’m not sure if brands like Farer and C Ward count but their quality is excellent for the money

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    You could do worse than Helm and it’ll only cost you about £250….arguably probably one of the best ‘bang for your buck’ you can get.
    I really like Helm tough and great build quality but you have to be patient and join the wait list. It does come around eventually!

Master
    Heard a lot about Formex
    I have one - an LE Reef, and can't fault it - really punches above it's weight. Formex's customer service is up there with the best. I tried on the Essence 42 white dial at the last Redbar GTG - absolutely loved it. Would take a fair chunk of your £2k though.

I've just placed an order for this one - another micro with a good reputation, which I've been eager to try. At 40mm, in no way a big watch as well (my only worry is it will be to small for me, with 42-44 being my usual)

Proxima.

Their MM300 homage at under £200 is an absolute belter.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Were

Apparently there is a 2 year “Waiting list” for one now too
    Frustrating, but great to see them doing so well.

Zelos during the initial sale of a new model is usually a pretty good shout. Been impressed with the few I've picked up over the years, although saying that I don't own any of them now. Caters to a wide price range too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Zelos during the initial sale of a new model is usually a pretty good shout. Been impressed with the few I've picked up over the years, although saying that I don't own any of them now. Caters to a wide price range too.
    I'd second Zelos, I've got a couple and I've been impressed with the bang for buck. Also, they seem to have reasonable residual value if you change your mind.

Master
    Got to have an TF Everest in there. Grab a jubilee/gilt for the dress watch or the standard black dial for the everyday.

Baltic...a Baltic HMS 001, Cincinnati Watch co...a Cincinnatus Field Watch and Iron Watch...a Vintage OP ...yes, yes but what's in a name... have for me delivered the best bang for the buck with timing and use of discounts, I've bought 3 cracking watches for around 200 quid each.

Craftsman
    I also really like the look of Maen watches, particularly Greenwich 38 GMT. I haven't seen one in the flesh but the design appeals to me.

Craftsman
    Ventus. The ventus mori 300m in brass is excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them all out

As far as I can recall

Anything from Eddie - great value
    Halios - stylish. lovely, a little more expensive than many microbrands
    Armida - excellent basic stuff
    Venturo (by Grupo Gamma) - really like this, very good quality
    Newmark - Excellent - had 2, will have again
    RZE - superb value for hardened titanium cases. I love mine.
    Helson - also good, well specified and made, but like Halios, they are a little more of a brand now, so charge a little more than some.
    Alkin - the model 2 is really, really good for the money, but I traded mine because I am out of love with internal bezels. I look forward to the model 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    As far as I can recall

Anything from Eddie - great value
    Halios - stylish. lovely, a little more expensive than many microbrands
    Armida - excellent basic stuff
    Venturo (by Grupo Gamma) - really like this, very good quality
    Newmark - Excellent - had 2, will have again
    Helson - also good, well specified and made, but like Halios, they are a little more of a brand now, so charge a little more than some.
    Alkin - the model 2 is really, really good for the money, but I traded mine because I am out of love with internal bezels. I look forward to the model 3.
    Those RZE watches look interesting, do you have any more info? With only 3 letters it’s going to be hard doing a search on the forum

Heard a lot about Formex
    Formex is the top of the micros. I believe it's been put together by people who know about the industry... and it shows.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master
    Those RZE watches look interesting, do you have any more info? With only 3 letters it’s going to be hard doing a search on the forum
    https://www.rzewatches.com/

They used to be called 'Reise' which might get more results on the search.

These two Endeavours are mine

I love the texture of the dials.
    THe one on the left is their Workbench LE, customised by removing the illegible black dial and handset, and replacing it with their yellow dial and handset (kindly sold to me with the watch). I have also had the bezel numerals paint filled white to aid legibility. the gray one on the right is about to have the orange dial (and handset) swapped into it.
    No date and with a narrow bezel, they have a huge dial area and are thus very legible indeed, and the C3 dial and hands have excellent lume (the gray one here is principally BGW9, very much dimmer).
    Light, functional, easy to read and with a nice unique modern style, they have a lot to commend them, especially at their modest prices (US$499 now, but they were less).
    Ans the cases are tough, I have worn the black one a lot.

ps - I also found out they are run by the guy that started Boldr.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I also really like the look of Maen watches, particularly Greenwich 38 GMT. I haven't seen one in the flesh but the design appeals to me.

I had a Hudson, dreadful watch. Bezel was too tight to turn, the lume was non existent, they produced replacement hands but not for the white dialled version and they even tried to charge people to send them out.

I liked the design and like the design of some of their other models but with customer service and QC like that I'll not buy one.

I've got a grey dialled endeavour and its a cracking watch, the bracelet is brilliant at the price point and its my most accurate watch, it just keeps perfect time when worn and then left dial up overnight. Case seem bullet proof, not a mark on mine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I had a Hudson, dreadful watch. Bezel was too tight to turn, the lume was non existent, they produced replacement hands but not for the white dialled version and they even tried to charge people to send them out.

I liked the design and like the design of some of their other models but with customer service and QC like that I'll not buy one.

After my post earlier I asked someone at work how they were getting on with their Maen they'd bought a few weeks ago and they said they weren't happy as it was gaining around 30 secs per day. This would be a deal breaker for me as it wouldn't be practical as a regular wearer. Sounds like they're more form over function.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post

After my post earlier I asked someone at work how they were getting on with their Maen they'd bought a few weeks ago and they said they weren't happy as it was gaining around 30 secs per day. This would be a deal breaker for me as it wouldn't be practical as a regular wearer. Sounds like they're more form over function.
    What a shame. I was contemplating getting one of the Manhattan 37s when they come out soon but I guess not. It doesn't have a bezel and lume is less important on a dress-style watch but, even so, I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Craftsman

You are making me regret cancelling my yellow dial RZE order back when they released....
    They do look spot on for diver with personality, and I like statement dials!

THe one on the left is their Workbench LE, customised by removing the illegible black dial and handset, and replacing it with their yellow dial and handset (kindly sold to me with the watch). I have also had the bezel numerals paint filled white to aid legibility. the gray one on the right is about to have the orange dial (and handset) swapped into it.
    No date and with a narrow bezel, they have a huge dial area and are thus very legible indeed, and the C3 dial and hands have excellent lume (the gray one here is principally BGW9, very much dimmer).
    Light, functional, easy to read and with a nice unique modern style, they have a lot to commend them, especially at their modest prices (US$499 now, but they were less).

Just started to have a look at Boldr not heard of them before. How does the hardened steel case compare to other brands out there?

OP I have been very tempted with Formex watches especially the green dial essence. For the price the case build and bracelet are supposed to be something else and from someone who generally hates watch bracelets I am interested.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Those look lovely! Got me looking at these now! Love their light blue dial but out of stock

Craftsman
    I've ordered a Clemence Photic via Kickstarter.

https://www.clemencewatches.com/

If interested, I can feedback what it's like once I get it. According to their website, it's due in March 2022..

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I know the Tag isn't exactly a micro brand but as a 'playing out' watch it has some front. Tad over 2k for the three.

Playing out....

Everyday...

Dress.....

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I know the Tag isn't exactly a micro brand but as a 'playing out' watch it has some front. Tad over 2k for the three.

Playing out....

Everyday...

Dress.....

That is one funky tag! Didn't know they had that in the range...

TAG are not a micro brand

TAG are not a micro brand
    We'll be having Rolex Daytona's next - After all, getting one is NEARLY as hard as a Timefactors

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I have been impressed with both the Synchron Military and the Helson Sharkmaster 600, both of which will be staying in the collection. For my 3rd watch I would look for a CWC G10 or the Marathon Field watch.

Thanks, I don't have an emotional connection to military style watches and don't like the industrial beef of Sinns or their like, just not my thing, like divers and lifestyle divers and dressers really

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What a shame. I was contemplating getting one of the Manhattan 37s when they come out soon but I guess not. It doesn't have a bezel and lume is less important on a dress-style watch but, even so, I don't think I'd want to risk it.
    Just to add a bit more nuance about Maen. I ordered the original Hudson 38mm through Kickstarter, and yes, it was pretty far from satisfactory. Crown fell off, lume poor, etc. To their credit, they put it right and at the same time changed the old hands for the new ones. But not a good experience.

Later I ordered their Hudson Mk III, and that's a different beast altogether. Clearly a new manufacturer is involved, and the bezel and crown work perfectly. The case is a vast improvement, much crisper and up there in quality with Christopher Ward, i.e. very good indeed for the price. FWIW, the STP1-11 ETA 2824-clone is very accurate, and nicely decorated.

So from my experience, maybe they've got their act together. But clearly, your mileage may vary wildly. Maybe they're a bit higher risk than other microbrands, but it's not all bad news.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Thanks for the additional info.

Decisions, decisions.

Craftsman
    Not sure if anybody has yet mentioned Steinhart (do they qualify as a microbrand), excellent well made swiss made watches and yes, some are more of a homage than others but even so, best bang for your buck around the £500 mark in my opinion (I own four)

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    Not sure if anybody has yet mentioned Steinhart (do they qualify as a microbrand), excellent well made swiss made watches and yes, some are more of a homage than others but even so, best bang for your buck around the £500 mark in my opinion (I own four)
    Good shout, I've had one, liked it

This Halios is setting a high bar I must say

I'm checking out all the suggestions apart for Tag as that was silly