closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: London - 20th wedding anniversary dinner

Craftsman

London - 20th wedding anniversary dinner

It's our 20th wedding anniversary in late May, and we're heading to London for a night to meet up with some friends for a celebration dinner. I know London a little bit, but not well enough to choose a decent restaurant for the occasion and am wondering if anyone with greater knowledge has any suggestions?

We're looking for something relaxed but memorable, and a bit of "wow" for the occasion wouldn't hurt but is not a hard requirement. We had considered Oblix in the Shard for the setting and view, but reviews (as unreliable as they are) are mixed.

There's no specific food requirements, and we're happy to pay a premium if the venue warrants it (and I appreciate there will already be a London premium anyway). However, we're not so keen to pay well over the odds for a mediocre evening just because there is a nice view out of the window.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Master
    Had several nice meals at Searcys at the Gherkin which were expensive but not OTT for London and great views, particularly if you book a time near sunset so you get both daytime and nighttime views!

For proper wow I can recommend Core by Clare Smith.

One recommendation is to avoid The Shard.

Nice enough experience for a champagne cream tea for a birthday last year but there whiff of chavviness around the place.

Maybe an age thing or maybe being a bit of a snob but I’d not be rushing back.

Most memorable overall dining experiences for me in London have been Clos Maggiore in Covent Garden and Locanda Locatelli on Mayfair if it’s still open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what it's like now but we had a lovely meal at the Duck and Waffle up the Heron Tower a few years ago for my parents ruby wedding. Spectacular views and great food as I recall.

Master
    I can recommend Galvin La Chapelle everytime and the building it is in is really nicely done. Also we've been "doing" a few of the celebrity chefs places and Anna Haugh's Myrtle restaurant was great though it is a small place and further out in Chelsea. Menu with an Irish twist to it. Also Angela Harnett's Murano in Mayfair was good too even if the decor has a bit of a 70s vibe to it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    One recommendation is to avoid The Shard.

Nice enough experience for a champagne cream tea for a birthday last year but there whiff of chavviness around the place.

Maybe an age thing or maybe being a bit of a snob but I’d not be rushing back.

Most memorable overall dining experiences for me in London have been Clos Maggiore in Covent Garden and Locanda Locatelli on Mayfair if it’s still open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an evening meal at the Shard and really enjoyed it - food, ambience and especially the views. But I'm not talking from a great deal of experience of London restaurants so I'm sure there will be better food to be had elsewhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Not sure what it's like now but we had a lovely meal at the Duck and Waffle up the Heron Tower a few years ago for my parents ruby wedding. Spectacular views and great food as I recall.
    It is all about the view. Had the signature Duck and Waffle and was very disappointed in it for the overall price we ended up paying.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    For proper wow I can recommend Core by Clare Smith.
    Completely agree.

Another option is the Cinnamon Club which is based in the Old Westminster library. Relaxed but still quality.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just come back from Rules in Covent Garden for my sisters 50th last night, that's where I'd go. Great service, nice food and a real sense of occasion in a shaby chic way.
    Last edited by tintin; 1st March 2022 at 13:54.

Master
    Would recommend Clos Maggioire in Covent Garden which regularly wins most 'most romantic restaurant'- better to get in early with a good seat reservation, although Mrs W was happy wherever we sat........... (& she's fussy!)

London - 20th wedding anniversary dinner

I like The Wolseley or it’s sister restaurant Brasserie Zedel, both in Piccadilly.

Both have the wow factor when it come to decor, as both are beautiful places to eat. Food is great too.

https://www.thewolseley.com/

https://www.brasseriezedel.com
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 27th February 2022 at 22:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I like The Wolseley or it’s sister restaurant Brasserie Zedel, both in Piccadilly.

Both have the wow factor when it come to decor, as both are beautiful places to eat. Food is great too.

https://www.thewolseley.com/

https://www.brasseriezedel.com
    Both great places to dine and more importantly comfortable places to eat. The atmosphere, service and people watching take precedence over the food, but the food is very much something you want eat. A good day for me is to browse around Mayfair, a martini at Dukes, The Connaught or The Donovan Bar and a lunch at either of the above with Wiltons as a strong alternative.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far, gives us a good shortlist to work through.

The Ritz, and drinks in the Rivoli bar before or after, amazing sense of occasion but wont be cheap

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Just come back from Rules in Covent Garden for my sisters 50th last night, that's where I'd go. Great service, nice food and a real sense of occasion in a shady chic way.
    ditto this - we enjoyed their private dining room for my parents' anniversary - great for a party of up to 15 folk and the history is what makes it special