closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Worst boxing decision ever?

Worst boxing decision ever?

I’m speechless, I think I have just witnessed the most disgusting decision in boxing I’ve ever seen tonight. Josh Taylor has just retained his belts over Jack Catterell by a split decision, Jack Catterell won by about 5 rounds for me, absolutely disgusting…

Agree, I like both fighters but that was just wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    That was ridiculous.

Master
    Corrupt & crock of #### that result.
    I was landing the bigger shots yes, you got decked.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    That was ridiculous.

Worse that ridiculous.

Utterly pathetic...

Glad it wasn’t just me.

Just don’t get that.

Malc

Jack faded in the later rounds sadly and i had a feeling Josh would get the points win on his home turf.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Jack faded in the later rounds sadly and i had a feeling Josh would get the points win on his home turf.
    His corner told him going into the last he would need a ko.

Blog Entries
    Absolute joke no way should he have retained his belts ,

Master
    This result was all that is wrong with the sport.

It was obvious to all that watched that there was only one winner in this fight, an absolutely shameful decision!

I know scoring is very subjective but this fight was not even close to give the judges the benefit of the doubt.

You guys should see the #### show that was the end of the F1 season!

So much international sport is a fix these days

Scorecards -

______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    One of the judges had it 114-111 to Taylor. WTF!
    This is corruption, pure and simple.
    His corner told him that he needed a KO going into the last round.
    What sickened me was the way he raised his hands in victory at the end of the fight after having got comprehensively outclassed and given a boxing lesson.
    He’s now giving interviews saying how he won the fight, landed bigger, cleaner shots etc.
    I really feel for the other lad, who boxed a beautiful fight and should have won the fight unanimously, was never a split decision. Taylor might have won 4 rounds at most, and was dropped. How he gets a split decision victory is a travesty.

The three judges should be bought before the boxing board of control and asked to explain there round by round scoring

I watched this last night and for long parts of the fight wondered what the commentators were on about. I think the first and middle card sums up the fight I saw. The last one is bonkers.

Catterall had the best highlights reel, but loads of his fighting was on the back foot and spoiling.

Often the fighters would get together and both land a shot but you'd only hear the commentators saying Catterall landed. As the fight went on, it seemed the commentators had their narrative and weren't deviating from it, but the fight moved on, but the commentary didn't.

Spending round after round on the back foot with the odd flashy one two is never going to get you a win against a champion on home turf.

Did the best fighter on the night win, possibly not, but was it the worst decision ever, not even close.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    The three judges should be bought before the boxing board of control and asked to explain there round by round scoring
    I agree, they should re-watch the fight and justify their scoring. It was totally unbelievable.

I agree he was robbed,they should use var

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Is there any sort of boxing council that this could go before to make the fight null and void, thereby making a rematch mandatory?

Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    One of the judges had it 114-111 to Taylor. WTF!
    This is corruption, pure and simple.
    His corner told him that he needed a KO going into the last round.
    What sickened me was the way he raised his hands in victory at the end of the fight after having got comprehensively outclassed and given a boxing lesson.
    He’s now giving interviews saying how he won the fight, landed bigger, cleaner shots etc.
    I really feel for the other lad, who boxed a beautiful fight and should have won the fight unanimously, was never a split decision. Taylor might have won 4 rounds at most, and was dropped. How he gets a split decision victory is a travesty.
    Are you suggesting the judges were on the payroll? Otherwise perhaps corrupt isn’t the right term.

Called in to explain the scoring now. I'm no expert but neither were the judges looking at the scorecards.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I am a big Josh Taylor fan but no way did he win that fight. I had Catterall by 4 points.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 28th February 2022 at 22:23.

Master
    Taylor won no more than 4 rounds. I’m being generous at that. Catterall was by far the superior fighter. He had a legitimate knock down, constantly catching Taylor with combinations.

It was an outrageous decision.

Craftsman
    I know there is far more to boxing than punch stats but Taylor only outlanded catterall in 1 out of 12 rounds! Ian John Lewis has history of producing some pretty ropey cards in favour of the home fighter as well. BBBoC are looking into the result but absolutely nothing will come of it.

Taylor has offered catterall a rematch ast 147 which simply isnt right. Rematch should be back at 140. However what I expect will happen is taylor will vacate the belts and move up to 147, catterall will then get to fight for a vacant belt and everyone will just move on from this questionable result. Doesnt sit quite right.

Master
    The worst decision I've witnessed 'live' in 30+ years. All the governing bodies should agree to calling it a no contest and mandating Catterall to fight for all the vacated belts. Better still, overturn the decision but I appreciate that won't happen!

I've been watching boxing for 35+ years now, and I still say this decision is the worst I've seen and there have been some stinkers. The sad part about this is Catterall stepped aside for Taylor to get his opportunity to collect all the belts, finally got the opportunity to fight for every belt (how often does that happen, barely ever), he's trained and absolutely spanked the champ only to see a ridiculous scoring happen (114-111 Taylor is just so wrong its smacks of corruption) and get a life changing opportunity taken away from him, his family and his team.

How Taylor can still come out and say he won is just denial and he's totally lost all credibility with me now, also I see Ben Davis is now saying Taylor won the fight, same guy was telling him in the last round he needs a knock out to win?

The BBBOC is going to investigate but they are spineless, nothing will happen, Taylor moves up and keeps his winning record, Catterall may get the opportunity to fight for a belt but in all honesty that's a hollow victory.

Only thing that can make this right is they reverse the decision but that will not happen, afraid to say after watching this sport for years this decision and others has turned me off the sport and boxing only has itself to blame, I simply believe there's now too much new money in the game and its looking corrupt to me.

It's worth remembering the following:

The judges sit in three different locations & thus each has a different view of the action.

Each judge marks each round individually & that score is taken away & compiled on the official scorecard.

There were only two rounds that weren't marked unanimously; rounds 4 & 12. John-Lewis differed in 4 & Foster in 12.

Both boxers were awarded 2 point rounds; round 8 for Catterall & 10 for Taylor.

One round was marked as a draw after both boxers were deducted a point.

I seldom agree with Steve Bunce, but it looks like a close fight that was decided on a couple of rounds.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    It's worth remembering the following:

The judges sit in three different locations & thus each has a different view of the action.

Each judge marks each round individually & that score is taken away & compiled on the official scorecard.

There were only two rounds that weren't marked unanimously; rounds 4 & 12. John-Lewis differed in 4 & Foster in 12.

Both boxers were awarded 2 point rounds; round 8 for Catterall & 10 for Taylor.

One round was marked as a draw after both boxers were deducted a point.

I seldom agree with Steve Bunce, but it looks like a close fight that was decided on a couple of rounds.
    I wish I could agree with you, but on this one it was a blatant robbery. I’ve actually just listened to the head of the BBBOC saying it was a scrappy close fight and could see how the judges have scored it how they did.

The man is a fool and we all know nothing will come out of the supposed investigation, for me somethings happened in this fight to ensure Taylor won, I can’t believe I’m saying this but there is no way anyone could score that fight other than a conclusive win for Catterall.

The lads been robbed and as much as I liked Taylor, then if he is still saying he won then his team should go get him checked out for concussion as he really didn’t win.

In a bizarre twist (considering what's going on in the world & in his day job), Sir Lindsay Hoyle gets involved -

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...ack-catterall/

'The Speaker of the House of Commons, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, has asked the police to investigate the circumstances of Josh Taylor’s controversial world super-lightweight title win over Jack Catterall in Glasgow last month.

Hoyle, who Catterall’s MP in Chorley, voiced his anger at the outcome in the wake of the contest and has now revealed he has asked Scotland Yard as well as Cabinet officials to investigate potential “undue influence”.

Hoyle said: “Everyone is disgusted by what’s happened – it brings the sport into disrepute. I have to question why the judges got it so wrong? I have already sent a letter to the police.

“I have spoken to Nadine Dorries, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport and the Minister for Sport, Nigel Huddleston – they are both looking into this.

“I also believe that something seriously went on here – whether it was undue influence, one must question why?”

Catterall was a huge underdog going into the fight against unified world champion Taylor but appeared to dominate most of the contest before dropping a highly-contentious split decision verdict, much to the surprise of many in attendance.

The fall-out prompted British Boxing Board of Control general secretary Robert Smith to order an investigation into the scoring of the contest.

Smith told TalkSport last week: “I don’t believe any corruption with regards to our officials over here, they just scored it how they saw it.

“I’m not making any excuses for the judges, I thought Jack won the fight and that’s why we’re looking at the scorecards and asking for an explanation.”
    ______

​Jim.

Crikey you'd think, expect Hoyle would have more than enough disreputable fish rotting on his own plate to be busy frying.

https://www.skysports.com/share/12562345

What a friggin farce of an organisation the BBBOC really is, it really has turned me off the sport this decision and the comments from the head of the organisation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    https://www.skysports.com/share/12562345

What a friggin farce of an organisation the BBBOC really is, it really has turned me off the sport this decision and the comments from the head of the organisation.
    Totally agree, what a half hearted kind of tacit admission of how shocking the result was, whilst at the same time maintaining deniability.