closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A day out on New Bond Street

Cool A day out on New Bond Street

I spent the day on New Bond Street yesterday with my trusty friend Paul who is on the look out for a special 60th birthday watch.
    The trainline north from Brighton is closed so we had a somewhat circuitous journey but found ourselves sitting in the Lange boutique by 1pm trying on his number one choice, the Richard Lange in white gold. The assistant was knowledgeable and informative, and the watch is stunning-my picture is hopeless but I think this just confirmed to Paul that he was on the right track.

We then proceeded to amble along the street taking in some glorious watches on the way-with a few unexpected surprises, and disappointments.
    I was wearing my trusty Breguet marine so we headed to Breguet boutique to look at their new marine collection-it just doesn't quite do it for me and will not be letting mine go! (photo not from yesterday)

Paul was wearing his 10 year old Daytona and we popped in to the Rolex boutique to enquire about servicing. They had pretty much every watch on display, but literally nothing for sale-they told us everything is allocated before it arrives at the store. Must be a pretty miserable way to work.
    The first surprise of the day was in the JLC boutique-I wanted to look at the Polaris Mariner date but didn't expect great things. Wow-this watch is beautiful-the dial is a rich deep blue that changes in the light and it wears very comfortably. Small micro adjustment on a lovely bracelet, 300 metres WR, 8 year warranty-it offers a lot but also comes with a price tag. Again my pictures aren't great but you can get a feel:

Should I consider trading this for it?? Decisions, decisions.....

Next up was Piaget-another surprise. We skirted past the Piaget Polo skeleton in the window but when the assistant insisted we had a closer look, it is actually a spectacular piece (with a spectacular 25K price tag). Not for everyone, but nice to see it.

Next up was Chopard-I was keen to try the Alpine Eagle and also the chrono version. The chrono at 44mm is much too big for me but the 40mm date version fits like a glove. Amazing dial and a really nice watch-the date is not for everyone but the dial is spectacular. No micro adjust is a bit annoying for an £11.5K watch but not unusual. A great watch-expensive at retail, but maybe obtainable and an alternative to my Bulgari again....

The next surprise was a disappointment. Vacheron boutique not taking any walk in customers, but Wempe fortunately had what we were looking for-the Historique triple calendar and this is the stock web photo:

I think it looks lovely in the photo, but somehow in the flesh and on the wrist-meh. Looked a bit washed out and not at all exciting so we crossed that off the list!

Last up was WoS Regent's Street and a quick look at some Grand Seiko. The white birch is a lovely watch, textured dial, wonderful hi beat movement with nice decoration and wore beautifully on the wrist. I'm just not sure how it would fit in to my collection, and at over £8K it's a significant outlay-lovely to try it on though:

That was it for the watches-last stop The Ivy for a hard earned meal:

Hope you enjoyed my trip as much as I did. I think Paul will be getting the Richard Lange once funds are sorted. I'm not in a position to buy anything new, but considering a change of scenery from the Bulgari towards the JLC or maybe the Alpine Eagle.
    All the best,
    Richard.
    Last edited by wigdog; 26th February 2022 at 13:51.

Master
    Very fun read. I like the Chopard, but the date window is all wrong for me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that. Made very interesting reading.

Some beautiful watches you saw there.

In your shoes, I don't think I could give up the Bulgari. It has a character all of its own. The Alpine Eagle is stunning, and I'd love one, but I don't think I could give up an Octo Finissimo for it. I'd want both. And the GS White Birch. ;-)

It's all moot though. We all have our own preferences. And budgets.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 26th February 2022 at 16:46.

Craftsman
    Nice to read about your trip. You certainly got around some nice watches, and good to hear you were able to try some out!

Enjoyed the report - thanks!

Master
    Great thread and some great watches. Thanks for sharing your day out :-)

Master
    Enjoyed this, I also do a similar window shopping trek down Bond Street once a year, sometimes twice. Nothing beats actually trying watches on.

I’m also a recent convert to Lange and is the antithesis of the current watch situation. The Richard Lange is supremely stealth watch.

Lovely stuff.
    I've not tried an Alpine Eagle yet but that dial is gorgeous. I'm not sure if I like the bracelet though.
    The Lange is beautiful. Simple loveliness. Your pal won't find better.
    I'm a fan of the JLC too. I think the Bulgari sale, and whether it's worth it to fund the JLC, depends on what else you have in your collection. The Bvlgari is so different to anything else. Quirky and classy and interesting. If it were my collection I couldn't do it but if you've another that fits that description then perhaps it's worth it.

A day out on New Bond Street

Sounds like a great day out and some lovely watches.

My wife and I were in the area on Wednesday and Thursday and had a wander up Burlington Arcade.

Although a million miles away price wise, I was quite taken with the Bell & Ross BR-05 which I hadn’t noticed before.

I’m not sure where you live exactly but we find Battle or Tunbridge Wells very convenient as the trains go direct to Charing Cross, so there’s no need to use the tube for either the West End, Chinatown or Oxford/Regents street.

I’m quite taken with your Breguet Marine. Looks superb. Don’t know if I could pull it off though with 6 inch wrists….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    I’m quite taken with your Breguet Marine. Looks superb. Don’t know if I could pull it off though with 6 inch wrists….

It might be on your limit but it's my favourite watch

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I’m not sure where you live exactly but we find Battle or Tunbridge Wells very convenient .
    We're in Hove- ended up driving to Brixton and tube from there.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    . The Alpine Eagle is stunning, and I'd love one, but I don't think I could up an Octo Finissimo for it. I'd want both. And the GS White Birch. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Lovely stuff.
    I've not tried an Alpine Eagle yet but that dial is gorgeous. I'm not sure if I like the bracelet though.
    The Lange is beautiful. Simple loveliness. Your pal won't find better.
    I'm a fan of the JLC too. I think the Bulgari sale, and whether it's worth it to fund the JLC, depends on what else you have in your collection. The Bvlgari is so different to anything else. Quirky and classy and interesting. If it were my collection I couldn't do it but if you've another that fits that description then perhaps it's worth it.
    All very true - plenty to consider

Great thread, you've had an interesting day out. The Chopard is interesting, I keep seeing pictures of them and the dial looks beautiful. Best of the bunch by a mile for me is the Lange. Understated and beautiful. Hope your friend enjoys it when the time comes.

Thanks for sharing your day of visiting various dealers.
    Though the L&S is lovely.
    I mich prefer your Breguet.
    What metal is it made from?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your day of visiting various dealers.
    Though the L&S is lovely.
    I mich prefer your Breguet.
    What metal is it made from?
    Thanks- the Breguet is stainless steel. The Lange is white gold

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The Chopard is interesting, I keep seeing pictures of them and the dial looks beautiful. Best of the bunch by a mile for me is the Lange. Understated and beautiful. .
    Yes the Lange is special. Interestingly the assistant was chatting to us about the Odysseus and the application process- the Richard Lange would not even count as a purchase history
    The Chopard would look too small on you IMO but you would wear the chrono version well

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    I spent the day on New Bond Street yesterday with my trusty friend Paul who is on the look out for a special 60th birthday watch.
    The trainline north from Brighton is closed so we had a somewhat circuitous journey but found ourselves sitting in the Lange boutique by 1pm trying on his number one choice, the Richard Lange in white gold. The assistant was knowledgeable and informative, and the watch is stunning-my picture is hopeless but I think this just confirmed to Paul that he was on the right track.

We then proceeded to amble along the street taking in some glorious watches on the way-with a few unexpected surprises, and disappointments.
    I was wearing my trusty Breguet marine so we headed to Breguet boutique to look at their new marine collection-it just doesn't quite do it for me and will not be letting mine go! (photo not from yesterday)

Paul was wearing his 10 year old Daytona and we popped in to the Rolex boutique to enquire about servicing. They had pretty much every watch on display, but literally nothing for sale-they told us everything is allocated before it arrives at the store. Must be a pretty miserable way to work.
    The first surprise of the day was in the JLC boutique-I wanted to look at the Polaris Mariner date but didn't expect great things. Wow-this watch is beautiful-the dial is a rich deep blue that changes in the light and it wears very comfortably. Small micro adjustment on a lovely bracelet, 300 metres WR, 8 year warranty-it offers a lot but also comes with a price tag. Again my pictures aren't great but you can get a feel:

Should I consider trading this for it?? Decisions, decisions.....

Next up was Piaget-another surprise. We skirted past the Piaget Polo skeleton in the window but when the assistant insisted we had a closer look, it is actually a spectacular piece (with a spectacular 25K price tag). Not for everyone, but nice to see it.

Next up was Chopard-I was keen to try the Alpine Eagle and also the chrono version. The chrono at 44mm is much too big for me but the 40mm date version fits like a glove. Amazing dial and a really nice watch-the date is not for everyone but the dial is spectacular. No micro adjust is a bit annoying for an £11.5K watch but not unusual. A great watch-expensive at retail, but maybe obtainable and an alternative to my Bulgari again....

The next surprise was a disappointment. Vacheron boutique not taking any walk in customers, but Wempe fortunately had what we were looking for-the Historique triple calendar and this is the stock web photo:

I think it looks lovely in the photo, but somehow in the flesh and on the wrist-meh. Looked a bit washed out and not at all exciting so we crossed that off the list!

Last up was WoS Regent's Street and a quick look at some Grand Seiko. The white birch is a lovely watch, textured dial, wonderful hi beat movement with nice decoration and wore beautifully on the wrist. I'm just not sure how it would fit in to my collection, and at over £8K it's a significant outlay-lovely to try it on though:

That was it for the watches-last stop The Ivy for a hard earned meal:

Hope you enjoyed my trip as much as I did. I think Paul will be getting the Richard Lange once funds are sorted. I'm not in a position to buy anything new, but considering a change of scenery from the Bulgari towards the JLC or maybe the Alpine Eagle.
    All the best,
    Richard.
    Nice read, thank you. I wish this sort of thread was done more often.

44mm for that Chopard (or any watch for that matter) is nuts. When will the sizeflation end??

Blog Entries
    Interestingly the assistant was chatting to us about the Odysseus and the application process- the Richard Lange would not even count as a purchase history
    Good grief.

Master
    That sounds like a lovely day out. The Octo Finissimo is a beautiful watch, possibly my perfect watch, but one I'm unlikely to ever own. Hold on to it. You've inspired me to recharge the batteries with a day in and round Mayfair.

Master
    Ohhhh that JLC looks really nice. Off to have a little mooch around their website……

Journeyman
    Nice selection. The JLC looks lush i must say

Interestingly the assistant was chatting to us about the Odysseus and the application process- the Richard Lange would not even count as a purchase history
    Did the say why out of interest? What is it they want folk to buy to get access?

Looks like a fun and enjoyable day out!

Fun day!

Love the Chopard but wouldn’t give up the Octo over it..

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Did the say why out of interest? What is it they want folk to buy to get access?

Looks like a fun and enjoyable day out!
    Lange 1 just to start to get on the ladder. They have a clear application process and would help you to "fill the form in". You would then either get the nod or not, and wait 2 years to receive one. They don't run a "list" like some companies, where you never really know if you are on a real list, or have any prospect of getting one. It was all hypothetical to us anyway- we weren't interested in the Odysseus!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Ohhhh that JLC looks really nice. Off to have a little mooch around their website……
    You have to see it in the flesh- the dial is really something.

is that sticky toffee pudding? always my ivy favourite :)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    is that sticky toffee pudding? always my ivy favourite :)
    That's the chocolate fondant-Paul had the sticky toffee

Great read, thank you.

You have to see it in the flesh- the dial is really something.

I was lucky enough to be working in Paris during the pandemic where the boutique was the only one in the world that had an actual Mariner Polaris watch to try. I was thrilled to get the opportunity and it is really stunning in the flesh. I’d adored it from seeing it on the press release day.

Unfortunately my budget wouldn’t stretch to it but I’ve loved the standard Polaris all the same. Maybe one day….

Great write up of your day out OP by the way!! It looked brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a great day!
    I love the Alpine Eagle. Beautiful watch, imo.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the write up, sounds like a fun day out! What a shame VC aren't taking any walk in customers, especially as they're making some really nice, relatively "affordable" watches like Fiftysix.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    Thanks for the write up, sounds like a fun day out! What a shame VC aren't taking any walk in customers, especially as they're making some really nice, relatively "affordable" watches like Fiftysix.
    It may just have been that day-they said they were fully booked. Another boutique suggested they had a Chelsea FC player attending that day to pick up a watch so maybe they didn't want any riff raff (or Brighton fans) in at the same time....

Craftsman
    It may just have been that day-they said they were fully booked. Another boutique suggested they had a Chelsea FC player attending that day to pick up a watch so maybe they didn't want any riff raff (or Brighton fans) in at the same time....
    Yes, that's a really good point. Could also be Covid restrictions meaning that they're only accepting appointments.

Master
    Thank you for the photos. Makes me miss London! Seems like a fun day out.

Interesting about the Lange process for the Odysseus, at least they are consistent globally as in Japan, the process is the same. When I bought my Lange 1, I was put on the Odysseus "list" and recieved an email from Richemont Lange saying I was now "officially" on the list though no idea when it will arrive....

Thanks for the photo walkaround! I enjoyed the journey. Wish you could've shared live pics of the calendar VC. And dang, that sport JLC looks so fine! Can't go wrong with the Bvlgari, too.

A nice day out for certain ! I recently bought the non-date version of this watch and it is a lovely watch. The dial is really nice - my only disappointment was the non-locking crowns (I also have a JLC compressor) but I am so pleased with it overall.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    A nice day out for certain ! I recently bought the non-date version of this watch and it is a lovely watch. The dial is really nice - my only disappointment was the non-locking crowns (I also have a JLC compressor) but I am so pleased with it overall.
    Yes-I was surprised. The inner bezel has a screw down crown but not the lower crown. How many 300m WR watches do not have a screw down crown??

Craftsman
    I could read threads like this all day. Thanks for posting & agree that Breguet is a stunner

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The GS is the winner for me. I spend so much free time browsing watch sites and always return to a handful of Grand Seikos. Your post doesn't help to forget that itch! ;)

Master
    Visited Wempe today to collect my watch that was in for its complimentary clean which they offer for the life of the watch if you buy it there.
    I asked which Rolex’s were available. Apparently none, not even the dj. All on back order. Two cheuffier driven cars outside as I left. The cost of living crises hasn’t permiated down here it seems.

Craftsman
    Sounds like a pleasant few hours.

Hugely impressed by the Polaris Mariner. Looks like a lovely watch and I’d really like to see one in the flesh for myself. I’d like to get out of Rolex and into a JLC that I can wear every day.

This has been the best chance at that I’ve seen for a really long time.

Did the Polaris have lockable bezel crown? I had the Polaris date (the retro themed one) and it was a superb watch with the one exception of the bezel and the fact the crown that turned the inner bezel wasn't lockable and it was incredibly easy to rotate the crown.

Would make it nigh on useless underwater as a result

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Did the Polaris have lockable bezel crown? I had the Polaris date (the retro themed one) and it was a superb watch with the one exception of the bezel and the fact the crown that turned the inner bezel wasn't lockable and it was incredibly easy to rotate the crown.

Would make it nigh on useless underwater as a result
    The bezel crown is lockable, but not the main crown IIRC.

wow that Breguet dial superb,for me the Lange is the one a true gentleman’s watch .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    Sounds like a pleasant few hours.

Hugely impressed by the Polaris Mariner. Looks like a lovely watch and I’d really like to see one in the flesh for myself. I’d like to get out of Rolex and into a JLC that I can wear every day.

This has been the best chance at that I’ve seen for a really long time.
    That's exactly what I did last year, sold a Rolex Deepsea to fund the Polaris Mariner Date. Absolutely no regrets.