closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Planet Ocean 43mm long term thoughts

Journeyman

Omega Planet Ocean 43mm long term thoughts

To try to cheer myself up at the end of a desperately grim week, I was poking my nose in the windows of a few Omega dealers. It's a brand that I've virtually no experience with and, to be honest, haven't taken much notice of in the past. However, I'm becoming really drawn to the blue Planet Ocean (the 43mm case) and I wondered if anyone had any long term thoughts on ownership? I really like the horology for the money and the link with George Daniels and the co-axial master chronometer movement. I'm tall with big wrists, so the size is fine.

Thanks in advance.

You didn’t mention the word ‘Rolex’ anywhere hence the lack of responses so far, I think Omega hit the sweet spot with the 43.5mm size, I used to own the regular Planet ocean with the Orange rubber on the bezel and currently own the 43.5mm GMT with Black/White bezel, great watches, robust, accurate and feel very high quality with stunning lume as well as anti-magnetic. Some folk aren’t keen on the thickness but its a trade off with the 600m WR and see through back, I’ve never had an issue with it.

Craftsman
    Like others have already mentioned, I found the quality was fantastic. The way the dial and indices caught the light was really nice. I had an early 8500 with the Matt ceramic bezel and it would almost certainly have been a keeper for me if only it weren’t so thick. That was the only negative for me but unfortunately one I couldn’t live with so it got sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I agree with Steve. In fact he’s had his fare share of mine in the past! I think the 43.5 is about the best size for a PO - though the chrono as superb in 45.5 This is my favourite and I wish I still had it:

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    As others have said, really is a stunning watch- I’ve owned loads of PO over the years, always regret when I sell one, this time around I bought the 43.5 in blue, absolutely love it, can’t see this one going anywhere soon, I don’t really notice the thickness as my other watch is a Panerai 328, so we’ll used to be bit of heft.

Think list is now 5700 so not a cheap watch, you’ll get a discount but not at the levels of previous years.

Journeyman
    Thanks all - really appreciate your responses - looking forward to taking the plunge now.

I bought mine on a whim as it was a bargain on here and can't ever see me selling it. Stunning watches

Journeyman
    Im not sure i can take a chrono dive watch seriously but the non chrono is a lovely watch if you can accept the horrible (in my laymans opinion) position of the release valve thingy.
    Last edited by TROYBOY79; 26th February 2022 at 23:15.

Craftsman
    I tried the 43.5mm black PO on a bunch of times before I finally bought a Seamaster & I really loved it. If you're a big lad the height shouldn't matter too much & they're really nicely finished watches. Better bezel action than the Seamaster, but still not as good as it should be for me. Still planning on getting one at some point though.

Master
    I have just picked up a 45.5 mm PO, and I find it wears well. I am used to bigger tackle tho, DSSD and 47mm PAMs, so the 43.5 might be a better size.
    Quality feels good, and timekeeping is spot on thus far. I have a notion for more orange on display for my next.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    I don’t think you need to be a ‘big lad’ to wear the 43.5 or the 45.5, albeit I always found the first incarnation of the PO Chrono very top heavy. Here’s a couple of crap pics of my 43.5 on my slim wrist-

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIG67 View Post
    Thanks all - really appreciate your responses - looking forward to taking the plunge now.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cam3i...dium=copy_link

I’d maybe hang fire, looks like a new PO release is on the horizon.

Journeyman
    Good spot - thank you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cam3i...dium=copy_link

I’d maybe hang fire, looks like a new PO release is on the horizon.

A new rival for the Seadweller perhaps?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Love mine. Far better watch than the Submariner in my opinion and cheaper and readily available.

I have a 42mm, 8500 blue dial titanium PO and its such a solid watch

To me, the steel version would be a little too heavy. That said, I love the robustness of the watch and the ceramic bezel, it really feels bulletproof

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have the same reference as below , outstanding watch and rarely leaves my wrist. I find i only ever tweak the time when the date needs changing its amazingly accurate and super comfortable with one of the best bracelets on the market.

Bought mine in June 2020 and its one of three watches that I'll never sell

I've owned a Sub but rarely wore it , sold it and bought a Black Bay and rarely wear that

Gratuitous photo of my 2500 PO.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    A new rival for the Seadweller perhaps?
    Think you’re right, will be too thick and too big probably

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

Oh go on then! My 2500, worn every day for about 3 years and was just brilliant. Serviced and only in the rotation now, brilliant watch in my opinion.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Just to add, I sold a 16610 to buy my 8500 and imo, the omega is a far better watch

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Master
    41.5mm black 8500 po was my first serious watch and will always be my favourite. I could sell my others but not my po. Yes it's thick, yes it's heavy but it wears well, a lump, but a beautiful and comfortable lump

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    41.5mm black 8500 po was my first serious watch and will always be my favourite. I could sell my others but not my po. Yes it's thick, yes it's heavy but it wears well, a lump, but a beautiful and comfortable lump
    I think you’re doing yourself out of .5 I’m sure the 8500 Po was 42mm :-)

Journeyman
    Never owned but tried on multiple times and love it! Maybe one day!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    I think you’re doing yourself out of .5 I’m sure the 8500 Po was 42mm :-)
    Maybe, I thought I'd seen both sizes quoted and that Omega said 41.5 but you may be right, maybe I've been confusing the size with the 2500 version all this time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Maybe, I thought I'd seen both sizes quoted and that Omega said 41.5 but you may be right, maybe I've been confusing the size with the 2500 version all this time
    I’m no expert but had quite a few PO’s including the 2500 movement, i’m sure they were 42mm also, few of the Seamaster Chrono and Aqua Terra models are quoted as 41.5mm, not that it really matters! There has not been many times over the years that I’ve not had a PO in the collection, perfect watches for me, quite at home under a shirt sleeve or lounging around on a beach.

Omega Planet Ocean 43mm long term thoughts

Friend of mine has been wearing the PO chrono since it first came out (15years? 10 at least) and it has lasted well.
    One service, no polishing. No issues.
    Nice wabi building up.
    He is not a watch guy, so does not chop and change - of which I am a little jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love the look of the PO and have tried it on so many times over the years (this is years ago when it was 42 or 45) - but I just found the dial too small on the 42mm and my wrist couldn't carry off the 45mm. I ended up with the Seamaster Co-ax instead, which suited my 6.75" wrist much better. [The Co-ax was so accurate, I was really impressed.]

45.5mm PO, wear it permanently on an Omega rubber strap and deployment. Put the bracelet back on recently but missed the flexibility of the rubber strap.

Journeyman
    ID Guy has posted an ‘unofficial render’ on his Instagram account. Still haven’t figured out posting pics, but here’s the link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaxHO7yq...dium=copy_link

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JIG67 View Post
    ID Guy has posted an ‘unofficial render’ on his Instagram account. Still haven’t figured out posting pics, but here’s the link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaxHO7yq...dium=copy_link
    Wasn’t far off at all. I love the idea of it but the ultimate PO for me reduces thickness instead of going mad with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

I was soooo late to the party with these, I just didn’t get the orange at all but I really like them now, that looks outstanding.