closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holidaying in Turkey

Holidaying in Turkey

We're currently looking at booking a couple of weeks in Turkey in the summer. We've previously stayed in Dalyan (2years in a row), which we loved, but feel we now need to stay elsewhere. My wife has come up with a short list of the following places.

Turunc
    Bitez
    Kas
    Patara

Can anyone offer any thoughts/opinions etc of them? We will be travelling as a family of 4 (16/13 yo girls) and we like a mixture of beach/pool days, water park if there is one, day trips to other beaches/sights, jeep safari/adventure type jaunts.

Thanks in advance

Pete

To be quite honest with you I wouldn’t consider anywhere like that at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuşadası was nice (haven't been in >20 years), but the proximity with Efes makes it a very valid destination regardless if you are a bit in your Ancient Greece history.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    To be quite honest with you I wouldn’t consider anywhere like that at the moment

This.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    This.

You beat me to it. Go to the south: Canaries, France, Spain. But I wouldn't any further east than Austria. Or in historical terms: stay west of the (once) Iron Curtain.

I’m about to book Bodrum for Sept but was also wondering about a few nights in Istanbul as a city break. I don’t see the issue with going to Turkey at the minute.

The way things are going with the Lira you might even get a real Rolex for a fiver!

Master
    We have had a place in Bitez for the last 16 years, and spend 3 - 4 months there a year. Obviously with the exception of the last couple of years. My wife is going in April for 2 weeks with friends, and then I will be going June and September with her.

We love it there.

Master
    We’re away in Turkey in the last 2 weeks in August at Dalaman with a 13 year old. I don’t worry about the problem in Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Side, Barut Acanthus and Cenet. Fantastic place, walks along the promenade to Side and plenty of stuff going on on the beach. We go twice every year

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don’t see the issue with going to Turkey at the minute.
    The Turkish government are under growing pressure to ban Russian military vessels from using its waters. And we know what the mad monk Putin has said about anyone who stands against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    The Turkish government are under growing pressure to ban Russian military vessels from using its waters. And we know what the mad monk Putin has said about anyone who stands against him.
    G&D so don’t want to get too into it but I still wouldn’t hold back on any holiday to Turkey personally.

Icmeler is a great family/couples place- you can walk or get the dolmus into Marmaris as well.

I have been to Turunc a couple of time and its a nice place but I dont know if It holds enough to stay there for a couple of weeks, however the reverse applies in that you could always get the dolmus/ water taxi to Marmaris or Icmeler.

We are going to Icmeler in June,Putin permitting obviously. It is as cheap as chips when you are there.

G&D so don’t want to get too into it but I still wouldn’t hold back on any holiday to Turkey personally.
    This. If Turkey becomes a dangerous place because of this, London doesn't look much safer!

Fair enough on both counts.

Master
    We visited Belek in Antalya a few years ago before Covid disrupted our lives. It was honestly one of the best holidays we’ve ever had.

Great beaches, a theme park nearby to keep the children happy and some absolutely great golf courses, to highlight just some of the pro’s.

We stayed at the Calista Luxury Resort, which I can honestly say is the best place we have ever stayed. The service was exceptional, the villa was beautiful and the all inclusive food was nothing short of Michelin star standard.

Easy to understand why President Obama chose this resort when attending a G20 meeting, a fact the hotel unashamedly likes to make one aware of.

It may be worth you looking at Belek as an option, in addition to those already on your shortlist.

I disagree that Turkey should be avoided, I have always found it a very hospitable, safe country, with food to die for and the exchange rates mean it gives you a great bang for your buck.

I’m about to book Bodrum for Sept but was also wondering about a few nights in Istanbul as a city break. I don’t see the issue with going to Turkey at the minute.

The way things are going with the Lira you might even get a real Rolex for a fiver!
    I've just spent Christmas is Istanbul and NY at Calis, near Fethiye.
    Both great, and given the state of the lira it's cheap.
    Istanbul is wonderful. It's the fourth time we've been and we enjoy it more every time we go. Already thinking about going back late summer.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    We visited Belek in Antalya a few years ago before Covid disrupted our lives. It was honestly one of the best holidays we’ve ever had.

Great beaches, a theme park nearby to keep the children happy and some absolutely great golf courses, to highlight just some of the pro’s.

We stayed at the Calista Luxury Resort, which I can honestly say is the best place we have ever stayed. The service was exceptional, the villa was beautiful and the all inclusive food was nothing short of Michelin star standard.

Easy to understand why President Obama chose this resort when attending a G20 meeting, a fact the hotel unashamedly likes to make one aware of.

It may be worth you looking at Belek as an option, in addition to those already on your shortlist.

I disagree that Turkey should be avoided, I have always found it a very hospitable, safe country, with food to die for and the exchange rates mean it gives you a great bang for your buck.
    Of course you have but id wager you hadn’t been there with the possibility of WW3 on it’s doorstep

Master
    Love Turkey. Been 10 times. Icmeler (5 times) and Ola deniz (4 times) have been my favourites.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Turkey's in the Middle East. There's have always been plenty of reasons to be scared of going. Not to mention the terrorist massacres at the tourist spots and the airport of Istanbul.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Turkey's in the Middle East. There's have always been plenty of reasons to be scared of going. Not to mention the terrorist massacres at the tourist spots and the airport of Istanbul.
    You could say the same about the UK and USA

97% Asia 3% Europe. Used to love the free EU roaming from Vodafone, now it's £6 per day!

Journeyman
    Another vote for Icemeler had some of our best holidays here - easy reach to Turunc (which is very very quite!!)but also to Marmaris if you want more action

Master
    Whist I agree there could be plenty of reasons for one to be scared, I contend that those reasons are not applicable to Turkey alone and could be applied to most countries around the world.

I personally refuse to let the actions of a cowardly few taint my view of the majority, or allow for it to instil behavioural changes in me, to the extent that fear governs my decision making.

I don't feel apprehension at the thought of visiting Turkey any more or less than I do at the idea of visiting London or New York, though I accept it is a personal thing and totally subjective.

With respect, had Turkey (Asia & Europe) been in the Middle East as you state, it would not negate the fact that there are at least 7 countries in that continent that are considered infinitely safer than my country and yet the danger of that reality never enters my mind.

Master
    Of course you have but id wager you hadn’t been there with the possibility of WW3 on it’s doorstep
    Yes thats a fair point, but the fact that Putins guns are pointing and heading more in our direction than in the direction of Turkey may mean that I end up back at the Calista resort quicker than the OP gets out there.

With respect, had Turkey (Asia & Europe) been in the Middle East as you state.
    I know you're desperate to sound clever, but Turkey being in the Middle East is a matter of fact not opinion.

Master
    I know you're desperate to sound clever, but Turkey being in the Middle East is a matter of fact not opinion.
    Oh I'm sorry Tony, I am not desperate to sound anything.

I was merely stating what my teachers had taught me, blame them not me for teaching me incorrect facts.
    Last edited by tango; 27th February 2022 at 08:49.

And how exactly do you know that Tony? Must be a matter of fact too I guess.

Master

Just had a quick look at this place out of curiosity for October. 2 adults and 2 children came in at 8K.
    Way too rich for my pocket.

We enjoyed a very pleasant week last November at the Hilton Dalaman in Sarigerme.

The area is much quieter and less developed than Belek, and is a short connection from Dalaman airport.

Having stayed previously at the Voyage Belek hotel, and queued for hours to clear Antalya airport, we will certainly choose the Dalaman area going forward.

Master
    Without wanting to start another thread, ill ask on this one.

Thinking about going away for a week in the summer holidays next year (late august) for a week all Inc. holiday (2 adults + 3 kids). I had quick google and there's hundred of websites offering deals - what's the reputable ones I should be using?

Master
    Blog Entries
    And nobody cares about their highly questionable human rights record and political shananigans re Greek Island, Cyprus, Syria, Kurds etc. I'd never go there on principle whilst Erdogan is in charge - far nicer places to visit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post

Thinking about going away for a week in the summer holidays next year (late august) for a week all Inc. holiday (2 adults + 3 kids). I had quick google and there's hundred of websites offering deals - what's the reputable ones I should be using?
    For ultra-cheap, we booked a week in Tenerife with OnTheBeach - absolutely fine but they do book you on scheduled budget airline carriers so the checking in can be a faff especially if you have different carriers each way which means differing luggage limits.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    For ultra-cheap, we booked a week in Tenerife with OnTheBeach - absolutely fine but they do book you on scheduled budget airline carriers so the checking in can be a faff especially if you have different carriers each way which means differing luggage limits.
    Havent been to Turkey, Tunisia or Egypt but not keen on Egypt, so its either Turkey or Tunisia but there doesnt seem to be as many options in Tunisia as Turkey so Turkey it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    And nobody cares about their highly questionable human rights record and political shananigans re Greek Island, Cyprus, Syria, Kurds etc. I'd never go there on principle whilst Erdogan is in charge - far nicer places to visit.
    The list of places to visit gets very short, very quickly, if you'll only visit places with impeccable human rights activity, zero government corruption, and no political shananigans. I hope you have a Moon watch because that's the only place left on your list.

Master

As the new year is upon us i better start looking - any recommendations as to which provider I should go with?

Master

Have tried many over the last 30 years and in truth it's difficult to beat TUI.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Have tried many over the last 30 years and in truth it's difficult to beat TUI.
    Always used TUI, but Jet2 were brilliant on our last couple of holidays.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    I can second Jet2, have used them for last 2 European family hols and they have been brilliant.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

We used TUI last year (for the first time) for a holiday in Bodrum at a Magic Place hotel - couldnt fault it tbh & the all-inclusive nature for booze was much appreciated.

Bodrum is pretty nice too with a lovely harbour - we hired a boat for ourselves for a few days whilst we were there - absolutely gorgeous waters for swimming & snorkelling not too far away.....

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilm_83 View Post
    I can second Jet2, have used them for last 2 European family hols and they have been brilliant.
    I've had twenty-odd packages with Jet2, including 3 last year.

They've lost a bit (probably because of Covid) & aren't quite as good as they were.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Question for those that have been.

The return flight is at odd times 11.30pm or 2am etc. if you have to check out of the hotel at 1pm for example - what do you do up until the flight?

The hotels are quite accommodating and will let you check out in the morning and use the facilities for the rest of the day. So you can swim , lounge , they have luggage stores and showers to freshen up too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    The hotels are quite accommodating and will let you check out in the morning and use the facilities for the rest of the day. So you can swim , lounge , they have luggage stores and showers to freshen up too.
    Perfect.

Although now we found shorter flights and more social flying times to Tunisia - thought it would be cheaper than Turkey but clearly not.

Port El Kantoui looks nice.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Question for those that have been.

The return flight is at odd times 11.30pm or 2am etc. if you have to check out of the hotel at 1pm for example - what do you do up until the flight?
    We often pay for a late check-out so we've a room to use up until we're ready to leave.

We found a flight every Tuesday to turkey that’s a 9.30am outbound and 5pm inbound. Perfect for us. TUI

If anyone's thinking of booking a trip to Turkey I can recommend Liberty Fabay in Fetheye.

Here's a video of our summer holiday there:

https://youtu.be/MJNwagHNTN4

I can't offer the OP any specific recommendations on the places he's shortlisted, however I can offer my opinion on Turkey per se having visited there a number of times in the last few years, the last being November in Istanbul and Bursa.
    For me the combination of people, hospitality, weather and cultural mix makes it's a great country to visit.
    It's very affordable there and I don't see the politics of that area causing any concerns from a personal safety pov.

My personal disappointment of Turkey is the proliferation of fake stuff being sold absolutely everywhere, from back street shops up to hotels and malls. Taking watches as an example, whereas once you'd see mainly fake Chinese Rolex (and easily discernible fake ones at that) being offered there's now also every other prestige brand name - and the quality of the 'AAA' super fakes is IMO certainly good enough to fool 99% of the public (these being made in Turkey according to the sellers).

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    If anyone's thinking of booking a trip to Turkey I can recommend Liberty Fabay in Fetheye.

Hi Chris,
    that's the best 'family holiday video' I've ever seen - and I've see far too many of them over the years!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Haven't stayed there but I love Fetheye, stayed over the water in calis quite a few times. (the oykun hotel) cheap and cheerful but smashing people and in a nice location for the town

Brilliant video, thanks for sharing. Gives a great insight to the hotel

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I can't offer the OP any specific recommendations on the places he's shortlisted, however I can offer my opinion on Turkey per se having visited there a number of times in the last few years, the last being November in Istanbul and Bursa.
    For me the combination of people, hospitality, weather and cultural mix makes it's a great country to visit.
    It's very affordable there and I don't see the politics of that area causing any concerns from a personal safety pov.

My personal disappointment of Turkey is the proliferation of fake stuff being sold absolutely everywhere, from back street shops up to hotels and malls. Taking watches as an example, whereas once you'd see mainly fake Chinese Rolex (and easily discernible fake ones at that) being offered there's now also every other prestige brand name - and the quality of the 'AAA' super fakes is IMO certainly good enough to fool 99% of the public (these being made in Turkey according to the sellers).

Hi Chris,
    that's the best 'family holiday video' I've ever seen - and I've see far too many of them over the years!

R

Thanks Ralphy and awright101, it's the first time I've not taken my camera on holiday so decided to take a small drone and my iPhone for video clips. I got told off by hotel security for using the drone so most of the footage is from my phone. It's nice to be able to look back on video more than photos so looks like I'm going to be doing the same after each trip.