closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Holidaying in Turkey

  1. #1
    Master badger1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,477

    Holidaying in Turkey

    We're currently looking at booking a couple of weeks in Turkey in the summer. We've previously stayed in Dalyan (2years in a row), which we loved, but feel we now need to stay elsewhere. My wife has come up with a short list of the following places.

    Turunc
    Bitez
    Kas
    Patara

    Can anyone offer any thoughts/opinions etc of them? We will be travelling as a family of 4 (16/13 yo girls) and we like a mixture of beach/pool days, water park if there is one, day trips to other beaches/sights, jeep safari/adventure type jaunts.

    Thanks in advance

    Pete

  2. #2
    To be quite honest with you I wouldnít consider anywhere like that at the moment


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    26,460
    Kuşadası was nice (haven't been in >20 years), but the proximity with Efes makes it a very valid destination regardless if you are a bit in your Ancient Greece history.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  4. #4
    Craftsman eletos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    To be quite honest with you I wouldnít consider anywhere like that at the moment


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    9,453
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    This.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You beat me to it. Go to the south: Canaries, France, Spain. But I wouldn't any further east than Austria. Or in historical terms: stay west of the (once) Iron Curtain.

  6. #6
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,099
    Iím about to book Bodrum for Sept but was also wondering about a few nights in Istanbul as a city break. I donít see the issue with going to Turkey at the minute.

    The way things are going with the Lira you might even get a real Rolex for a fiver!

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Harrow
    Posts
    4,323
    We have had a place in Bitez for the last 16 years, and spend 3 - 4 months there a year. Obviously with the exception of the last couple of years. My wife is going in April for 2 weeks with friends, and then I will be going June and September with her.

    We love it there.

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    839
    Weíre away in Turkey in the last 2 weeks in August at Dalaman with a 13 year old. I donít worry about the problem in Georgia.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  9. #9
    Side, Barut Acanthus and Cenet. Fantastic place, walks along the promenade to Side and plenty of stuff going on on the beach. We go twice every year

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    You beat me to it. Go to the south: Canaries, France, Spain. But I wouldn't any further east than Austria. Or in historical terms: stay west of the (once) Iron Curtain.
    When was Turkey behind the iron curtain?

  11. #11
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,268
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I donít see the issue with going to Turkey at the minute.
    The Turkish government are under growing pressure to ban Russian military vessels from using its waters. And we know what the mad monk Putin has said about anyone who stands against him.

  12. #12
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    The Turkish government are under growing pressure to ban Russian military vessels from using its waters. And we know what the mad monk Putin has said about anyone who stands against him.
    G&D so donít want to get too into it but I still wouldnít hold back on any holiday to Turkey personally.

  13. #13
    Icmeler is a great family/couples place- you can walk or get the dolmus into Marmaris as well.

    I have been to Turunc a couple of time and its a nice place but I dont know if It holds enough to stay there for a couple of weeks, however the reverse applies in that you could always get the dolmus/ water taxi to Marmaris or Icmeler.

    We are going to Icmeler in June,Putin permitting obviously. It is as cheap as chips when you are there.

  14. #14
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,163
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    G&D so donít want to get too into it but I still wouldnít hold back on any holiday to Turkey personally.
    This. If Turkey becomes a dangerous place because of this, London doesn't look much safer!

  15. #15
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,268
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    G&D so donít want to get too into it but I still wouldnít hold back on any holiday to Turkey personally.
    Fair enough on both counts.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,258
    We visited Belek in Antalya a few years ago before Covid disrupted our lives. It was honestly one of the best holidays weíve ever had.

    Great beaches, a theme park nearby to keep the children happy and some absolutely great golf courses, to highlight just some of the proís.

    We stayed at the Calista Luxury Resort, which I can honestly say is the best place we have ever stayed. The service was exceptional, the villa was beautiful and the all inclusive food was nothing short of Michelin star standard.

    Easy to understand why President Obama chose this resort when attending a G20 meeting, a fact the hotel unashamedly likes to make one aware of.

    It may be worth you looking at Belek as an option, in addition to those already on your shortlist.

    I disagree that Turkey should be avoided, I have always found it a very hospitable, safe country, with food to die for and the exchange rates mean it gives you a great bang for your buck.

  17. #17
    Master Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Teesside/Angola
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Iím about to book Bodrum for Sept but was also wondering about a few nights in Istanbul as a city break. I donít see the issue with going to Turkey at the minute.

    The way things are going with the Lira you might even get a real Rolex for a fiver!
    I've just spent Christmas is Istanbul and NY at Calis, near Fethiye.
    Both great, and given the state of the lira it's cheap.
    Istanbul is wonderful. It's the fourth time we've been and we enjoy it more every time we go. Already thinking about going back late summer.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    We visited Belek in Antalya a few years ago before Covid disrupted our lives. It was honestly one of the best holidays weíve ever had.

    Great beaches, a theme park nearby to keep the children happy and some absolutely great golf courses, to highlight just some of the proís.

    We stayed at the Calista Luxury Resort, which I can honestly say is the best place we have ever stayed. The service was exceptional, the villa was beautiful and the all inclusive food was nothing short of Michelin star standard.

    Easy to understand why President Obama chose this resort when attending a G20 meeting, a fact the hotel unashamedly likes to make one aware of.

    It may be worth you looking at Belek as an option, in addition to those already on your shortlist.

    I disagree that Turkey should be avoided, I have always found it a very hospitable, safe country, with food to die for and the exchange rates mean it gives you a great bang for your buck.
    Of course you have but id wager you hadnít been there with the possibility of WW3 on itís doorstep

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    5,252
    Love Turkey. Been 10 times. Icmeler (5 times) and Ola deniz (4 times) have been my favourites.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

  20. #20
    Master Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Teesside/Angola
    Posts
    2,248
    Turkey's in the Middle East. There's have always been plenty of reasons to be scared of going. Not to mention the terrorist massacres at the tourist spots and the airport of Istanbul.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Turkey's in the Middle East. There's have always been plenty of reasons to be scared of going. Not to mention the terrorist massacres at the tourist spots and the airport of Istanbul.
    You could say the same about the UK and USA

  22. #22
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Turkey's in the Middle East. There's have always been plenty of reasons to be scared of going. Not to mention the terrorist massacres at the tourist spots and the airport of Istanbul.
    97% Asia 3% Europe. Used to love the free EU roaming from Vodafone, now it's £6 per day!

  23. #23
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    174
    Another vote for Icemeler had some of our best holidays here - easy reach to Turunc (which is very very quite!!)but also to Marmaris if you want more action


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Turkey's in the Middle East. There's have always been plenty of reasons to be scared of going. Not to mention the terrorist massacres at the tourist spots and the airport of Istanbul.
    Whist I agree there could be plenty of reasons for one to be scared, I contend that those reasons are not applicable to Turkey alone and could be applied to most countries around the world.

    I personally refuse to let the actions of a cowardly few taint my view of the majority, or allow for it to instil behavioural changes in me, to the extent that fear governs my decision making.

    I don't feel apprehension at the thought of visiting Turkey any more or less than I do at the idea of visiting London or New York, though I accept it is a personal thing and totally subjective.

    With respect, had Turkey (Asia & Europe) been in the Middle East as you state, it would not negate the fact that there are at least 7 countries in that continent that are considered infinitely safer than my country and yet the danger of that reality never enters my mind.

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Of course you have but id wager you hadnít been there with the possibility of WW3 on itís doorstep
    Yes thats a fair point, but the fact that Putins guns are pointing and heading more in our direction than in the direction of Turkey may mean that I end up back at the Calista resort quicker than the OP gets out there.

  26. #26
    Master Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Teesside/Angola
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    With respect, had Turkey (Asia & Europe) been in the Middle East as you state.
    I know you're desperate to sound clever, but Turkey being in the Middle East is a matter of fact not opinion.

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I know you're desperate to sound clever, but Turkey being in the Middle East is a matter of fact not opinion.
    Oh I'm sorry Tony, I am not desperate to sound anything.

    I was merely stating what my teachers had taught me, blame them not me for teaching me incorrect facts.
    Last edited by tango; 27th February 2022 at 08:49.

  28. #28
    Craftsman namzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I know you're desperate to sound clever, but Turkey being in the Middle East is a matter of fact not opinion.
    And how exactly do you know that Tony? Must be a matter of fact too I guess.

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mid Glamorgan
    Posts
    5,226
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    We visited Belek in Antalya a few years ago before Covid disrupted our lives. It was honestly one of the best holidays weíve ever had.

    Great beaches, a theme park nearby to keep the children happy and some absolutely great golf courses, to highlight just some of the proís.

    We stayed at the Calista Luxury Resort, which I can honestly say is the best place we have ever stayed. The service was exceptional, the villa was beautiful and the all inclusive food was nothing short of Michelin star standard.

    Easy to understand why President Obama chose this resort when attending a G20 meeting, a fact the hotel unashamedly likes to make one aware of.

    It may be worth you looking at Belek as an option, in addition to those already on your shortlist.

    I disagree that Turkey should be avoided, I have always found it a very hospitable, safe country, with food to die for and the exchange rates mean it gives you a great bang for your buck.
    Just had a quick look at this place out of curiosity for October. 2 adults and 2 children came in at 8K.
    Way too rich for my pocket.

  30. #30
    Master W124's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Standish, M6 Jn 27.
    Posts
    1,766
    We enjoyed a very pleasant week last November at the Hilton Dalaman in Sarigerme.

    The area is much quieter and less developed than Belek, and is a short connection from Dalaman airport.

    Having stayed previously at the Voyage Belek hotel, and queued for hours to clear Antalya airport, we will certainly choose the Dalaman area going forward.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information