closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex AD's in Edinburgh

Craftsman

Rolex AD's in Edinburgh

Hi all,

I am going to Edinburgh for a long weekend soon and very much looking forward to the trip! I intend to purchase a new watch while there.
    There seems to be 3 Rolex AD's there. Does anyone have experience of who might carry the most stock?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    You jest, surely. :-)

The most likely answer is none of them. At least, nothing you can actually buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Hi all,

I am going to Edinburgh for a long weekend soon and very much looking forward to the trip! I intend to purchase a new watch while there.
    There seems to be 3 Rolex AD's there. Does anyone have experience of who might carry the most stock?

Thanks
    2 rolex AD'S laings and also hamilton & inches - not aware of a third? Like any Rolex AD they will have little to no stock! Laings have a policy of not selling outwith the area - however a tourist like yourself I do not know as edinburgh is a big tourist location.Staff at Laings is a bit hit or miss - had good and also terrible service from them.They also require you to book an appointment - not sure if still applies.Hamilton & inches is a lovely shop with great staff.You may want to jump on the fast train from waverley to Glasgow 40 to 50 minutes - there is the rolex boutique on buchanan Street and quite a few watch shops at the argyle arcade.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amcneill; 24th February 2022 at 11:25.

There are only 2 Rolex AD’s in Edinburgh- Laing’s and Hamilton & Inches both in close proximity.
    Not much inventory in either AD the last time I was there, although they both have some exhibition only pieces. If you’re after a standard configuration watch probably unlikely to be anything in store.
    With Laing’s you may need to pre book an appointment- try and get appointment with Kat, she’s my go to SA.
    Good luck hope you find something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep, as has been said, 2x AD's on George st, H&I and Laings.
    Other non Rolex ADs scattered along Princes St.
    As has been said, a quick train ride to Argyl Arcade in Glasgow best if you want to do some Rolex eyeballing as they have a lot of pre-owned.

Craftsman
    That is great guys, thank you for the local knowledge. I will use it all.

Sadly little chance Of you buying a new Rolex unless it’s a diamond encrusted ladies model.

As mentioned, worth a visit to Glasgow. Plenty of preowned stores, but sadly no bargains. The prices never fail to entertain me.
    Do try Tom Coll If in Glasgow. It’s upstairs in the arcade and well worth a visit.

As I've said before in a similar thread, and has already been said by others in this thread, H&I is a lovely shop, it would definitely be my first port of call. Laings, not so fond of.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    As I've said before in a similar thread, and has already been said by others in this thread, H&I is a lovely shop, it would definitely be my first port of call. Laings, not so fond of.
    I agree, H&I are superb on the Rolex side of things but I do like to use Laings for Omega. Which reminds me, my Speedy is overdue for a service.

Master
    Hi all,

Thanks
    You will be able to purchase a new watch but won’t be a Rolex unless it’s a very expensive ladies model which may or may not be your thing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    You will be able to purchase a new watch but won’t be a Rolex unless it’s a very expensive ladies model which may or may not be your thing.
    I might like a bit of sparkle on a Saturday night!

Hi all,

Thanks

Mmmmmmm.........

Master
    I was in Hamilton & Inches about 6 weeks ago. They had zero Rolex for sale (only demo pieces to try on). They were very apologetic and did let me try a couple on, but wouldn’t entertain putting me on any sort of ‘list’ at this moment.

Laings had 3 Rolex for sale, none of interest to me though. Again had a selection to try on. They did take my details, so you never know !
    Andy.

Craftsman
    The Edinburgh watch company are meant to be good ,the owner Jonathan always comes across very well on utube

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

The new shopping arcade St James Quarter doesn't have Rolex but it has Omega and Breitling boutiques plus a Goldsmiths that may be worth a mooch around. Though if set on a Rolex then the used dealers in Glasgow are the place.
    Enjoy Edinburgh - beautiful city and so many better things to do than shop

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    The Edinburgh watch company are meant to be good ,the owner Jonathan always comes across very well on utube

Agree, but he doesn’t have a store to browse.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I was in Hamilton & Inches about 6 weeks ago. They had zero Rolex for sale (only demo pieces to try on). They were very apologetic and did let me try a couple on, but wouldn’t entertain putting me on any sort of ‘list’ at this moment.

Laings had 3 Rolex for sale, none of interest to me though. Again had a selection to try on. They did take my details, so you never know !
    Andy.
    Was in town picking up a strap today.

“Exhibition Only”, zero stock availiable.

Did giggle at the folk coming in and rattling off their flip/investment shopping lists… must’be been 4 or 5 in the time i was in.
    Honestly one dude was making me laugh rhyming off pretty much every rolex and bringing out every tactic and dumb sob story as to why he deserved a watch.
    Was just waiting for him to break out nautilus references.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Did giggle at the folk coming in and rattling off their flip/investment shopping lists… must’be been 4 or 5 in the time i was in.
    Honestly one dude was making me laugh rhyming off pretty much every rolex and bringing out every tactic and dumb sob story as to why he deserved a watch.
    Staggering that anyone thinks they can blag a watch, worth thousands
    more than retail, by walking in and talking **** for 10 minutes.

It was a ridiculous thing to do as long ago as 2 or 3 years ago. Does he think he’s the first one who’s asked?!
    Last edited by David_D; 25th February 2022 at 01:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post

I wouldn’t bother. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 25th February 2022 at 01:50.

I’ve seen this so many times.
    ADs must find it nauseating

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I wouldn’t bother. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
    I knew Jonathan quite well at school and a while back, made contact to say hello after several decades and to make a putative enquiry about selling a watch.

Shall we just say, that his offer was so low, it was barely above ground level. I mean off by a large order of magnitude from the then market point, even for a dealer. I disappointedly didn’t reply to his email.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Last I was there - Only one entered and asked about a Rolex, and seeing as it was around 10:30 and quiet - seemed to be dealt with gracefully.

"When do you expect production to meet the demand?" "Several years, sir".

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I knew Jonathan quite well at school and a while back, made contact to say hello after several decades and to make a putative enquiry about selling a watch.

Shall we just say, that his offer was so low, it was barely above ground level. I mean off by a large order of magnitude from the then market point, even for a dealer. I disappointedly didn’t reply to his email.
    At least you got an offer - he never replied to my emails when trying to sell a watch.There are so many youtube watch "celebrities " promoting their companies and hyping the big pieces and profit made by customers that when you deal with them the reality bites about the low prices offered and poor customer service.

Craftsman
    I have never bought from or sold to a grey dealer ,I would guess that they are only interested in the hype pieces these days ,anything else is given short shrift and if they make any offer it will be a lowball one

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Last I was there - Only one entered and asked about a Rolex, and seeing as it was around 10:30 and quiet - seemed to be dealt with gracefully.

"When do you expect production to meet the demand?" "Several years, sir".
    They always lovely to deal with, and they'll try and help when they can.
    They spent 45mins with this flip clown as he prattled off his blanket list of watches that "he didn't realize were sought after," the fact that i heard him say to the older gent with him, "oh those are those Danish watches" as he walked past the Urban Jurgensen says it all!
    I reckon a lot of folk on here would be like "Urban, who?, lemme just google that"

Still nothing beats the grown man having an absolute tantrum in the middle of the shop because they didn't have a steel Datejust to sell him.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    They always lovely to deal with, and they'll try and help when they can.
    They spent 45mins with this flip clown as he prattled off his blanket list of watches that "he didn't realize were sought after," the fact that i heard him say to the older gent with him, "oh those are those Danish watches" as he walked past the Urban Jurgensen says it all!
    I reckon a lot of folk on here would be like "Urban, who?, lemme just google that"
    Just like Skagen innit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

Not sure who is worse.
    Insta neds selling watches or a pompous sod lowballing you with marbles in the mouth.

Master
    Last time I was in Laings an assistant asked if he could show me anything pointing at the Rolex cabinet, I asked "can you sell me something?", "No” he replied so it was a "no point then is there" from me. Fortunately the Omega I was there to collect from service was ready and the Mexican restuarant in Rose Street was quiet so lunch was had.
    Last edited by Pitfitter; 3rd March 2022 at 15:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Last time I was in Laings an assistant asked if he could show me anything pointing at the Rolex cabinet, I asked "can you sell me something?", "no he replied" so it was a "no point then is there" from me.
    That’s ridiculous! The Rolex equivalent of a petting zoo!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    That’s ridiculous! The Rolex equivalent of a petting zoo!!

Haha, good way to put it!

Journeyman
    Yeah AD’s appear to be barren atm atleast in Edi, last time I went in all they had was 2 unpopular ladies watches. H&I had nothing… how long can this last? (Rhetorically ofcourse)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have to say I'm not fond of the "Whats the occasion?" ​chit chat from ADs. I think I responded 4 odd times that there wasn't one when I was in Ed recently which appears to knock the conversation dead and create an awkward silence and blank looks.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I have to say I'm not fond of the "Whats the occasion?" ​chit chat from ADs. I think I responded 4 odd times that there wasn't one when I was in Ed recently which appears to knock the conversation dead and create an awkward silence and blank looks.
    Know what you mean...hmm! Just tell them you have an addiction and allow them to wonder if its drugs and money laundering!

I usually say the occasion is the phone ringing.

Had what would be deemed an occasion recently but what are you going to do, call up and make your case like an episode of X Factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Last time I was in Laings an assistant asked if he could show me anything pointing at the Rolex cabinet, I asked "can you sell me something?", "No” he replied so it was a "no point then is there" from me. Fortunately the Omega I was there to collect from service was ready and the Mexican restuarant in Rose Street was quiet so lunch was had.
    Did the assistant - really deserve that?

How do you think that interaction was discussed between staff during a lunch break?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Know what you mean...hmm! Just tell them you have an addiction and allow them to wonder if its drugs and money laundering!
    Yes, I just shuffled a bit and said "no, I just like watches"

reminded me of the "going anywhere on holiday?" you get whenever you have a haircut.

Called in at Laing’s yesterday, they had a Steel Pepsi on oyster bracelet and a rose gold Daytona oyster flex. Exhibition only pieces.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by al1786 View Post
    Called in at Laing’s yesterday, they had a Steel Pepsi on oyster bracelet and a rose gold Daytona oyster flex. Exhibition only pieces.

Similar to Laings in Southampton. They have a Pepsi, Black no-date Sub and a Hulk there (at the back of the shop) When you see them, for a brief (very brief) second you might have a chance....but no.

Master
    Yes that has to be my most annoying question. No matter how politely you state there isn't one it always come across abrupt, blunt and somewhat arrogant, to the point of my nearly making up an occasion instead.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Yes that has to be my most annoying question. No matter how politely you state there isn't one it always come across abrupt, blunt and somewhat arrogant, to the point of my nearly making up an occasion instead.
    Not really difficult, just say you want to treat yourself, don’t see why that would come across at all negative.

I really don't see the problem with a salesperson breaking the ice and starting a conversation. Your response is exactly the same as if a salesperson said "can I help" and you responded "No!". No wonder they're then quiet and don't continue the conversation. You could quite politely say, "no occasion, just window shopping" and continue the conversation. There is a more likely chance than not that someone in the centre of Edinburgh is visiting the area as a tourist so the occasion could be a short vacation with a partner, a business trip, a birthday or numerous other options.

Craftsman
    Lots of stock in Nice. Only a few miles away from the Rolex Masters tournament.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by weaselid View Post
    Lots of stock in Nice. Only a few miles away from the Rolex Masters tournament.
    EH?

Craftsman
    Obviously absolutely no stock

Obviously absolutely no stock
    In Nice or Edinburgh?

Craftsman
    I had just stopped by the fountain on Jean Medecin, Nice. Started reading watch blogs and stumbled across this thread. As luck would have it, the Rolex store was 10 metres away and had zero watches on display. The next window did have some ladies datejust (but that doesn't count).

I had just stopped by the fountain on Jean Medecin, Nice. Started reading watch blogs and stumbled across this thread. As luck would have it, the Rolex store was 10 metres away and had zero watches on display. The next window did have some ladies datejust (but that doesn't count).

Cool story dude!

but this is a thread about Edinburgh (Scotland) Rolex dealers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Cool story dude!

but this is a thread about Edinburgh (Scotland) Rolex dealers.
    Soz. Too many pastis

Soz. Too many pastis
    They kind of creep up on ya, don't they!

(mind you - a wee bit sophisticated for a Geordie, no?)

Craftsman
    Ha ha ha ha. Yes, Geordies should only drink brown ale and tea that could stand a spoon.