closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone been to Lisbon?

Craftsman

Anyone been to Lisbon?

So a work thing got cancelled & I decided to impulsively book a week in Portugal, having not left Bristol in >2 years. Plan is to get an Airbnb in Lisbon & wander round the city, but I have zero idea where's a nice area to stay. Currently Googling this, but any suggestions much appreciated.

Lisbon is great. Cheap for eating out. Make sure you also take public transport to Cascais and Sintra as well. Both are not far away.

Master
    Great food, great city. Shabby chic I would call it.

Master
    My favourite city, best to stay in the Chiado area lots of very reasonable hotels, my choice being either the My Story Ouro or the Lisboa Carmo depending on the deal, fantastic and easy city to walk around, the Bairro Alto is a fun area loads of narrow lanes full of restaurants and bars, also a must is the Time Out market loads of assorted restaurants with communal seating in the middle, the bike tour is also worth doing ours started at the Parc Eduardo VII and ended up at Belem where all the museums are (if you like them).

I just love standing having breakfast at a cheap coffee shop drinking a Galao (sort of Latte) and a eating a Pasteis de Natas (custard tart) and watching the world go by, as previously mentioned definitely worth getting the train to both Cascais and to Sintra last time I think it cost €5 return! The airport is really close to the centre and taxis are cheap but the underground system is very doable and you can get a 24hr pass for next to nothing which includes the trams.

In fact the wife and I are off there again next month

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    My favourite city, best to stay in the Chiado area lots of very reasonable hotels, my choice being either the My Story Ouro or the Lisboa Carmo depending on the deal, fantastic and easy city to walk around, the Bairro Alto is a fun area loads of narrow lanes full of restaurants and bars, also a must is the Time Out market loads of assorted restaurants with communal seating in the middle, the bike tour is also worth doing ours started at the Parc Eduardo VII and ended up at Belem where all the museums are (if you like them).

I just love standing having breakfast at a cheap coffee shop drinking a Galao (sort of Latte) and a eating a Pasteis de Natas (custard tart) and watching the world go by, as previously mentioned definitely worth getting the train to both Cascais and to Sintra last time I think it cost €5 return! The airport is really close to the centre and taxis are cheap but the underground system is very doable and you can get a 24hr pass for next to nothing which includes the trams.

In fact the wife and I are off there again next month
    So, so helpful. Thanks fella, really appreciate it.

Treat yourself to lunch at Belcanto.

https://belcanto.pt/en/

And/or dinner at 100 Maneiras.

We spent a day on our way home from the Azores.

It's a nice city, the waterfront and old town area were very attractive and characterful, quite hilly too in parts.

As others have said there are plenty of restaurants and cafes to eat in.

We stayed near the bullring (I didn't know they still did such things in Portugal!), but made the mistake of using the underground to get there from the airport.

I think it was two changes and about 45 minutes pulling heavy luggage - My wife insisted we take a taxi back 'Whatever it costs' and it was about a 10 minute ride, costing a small amount.

There are some large and attractive parks in the city, too.

Certainly a city worth a visit, imo.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Bairro or Chiado to stay

I stayed here specifically and it had an amazing rooftop terrace!

https://abnb.me/z9fXaODaUnb

As mentioned - go to Sintra…. The train is quick, but, then it’s a bit of a faff with buses etc. afterwards, so, I’d do it by taxi if I ever went back…. The palace on the hill is great but go to this one (it’s the best!!!)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinta_da_Regaleira

Go on the tram (route 8?) up to the old castle in central Lisbon…

Other than that…. Wander about sit, have a drink or something to eat…. Chew on a sardine and take it easy…. Food is great and it’s a lovely place…. I will go back

Master
    I remember going years ago it had a similar reputation to Barcelona and the main shopping street had guards on the shop doors and was warned about wearing anything of high value it may have changed though

Craftsman
    I LOVE Lisbon! It's one of my favourite cities in Europe. We used to go every year, well to Cascais, before Covid.

What time of year are you going? If it's towards the summer and you wanted to experience a city break and a nice seaside town, then I'd highly recommend a few nights in Cascais too. It's a lovely little town, only 25mins on the train from Lisbon.

If you're there around mid-June then you can't miss the Santo Antonio Festival. It's the sardine festival, and one big street party in Lisbon with hundreds of street side grills serving grilled sardines. It's amazing.

There are any amount of very good restaurants and wine/cheese bars so I'll let you make you're mind up on that front, but if you're looking for an authentic spot for a good lunch then check out Floresta das Escadinhas. They do really good meat and fish on the grill, it's simple but delicious.

Craftsman
    Yup, loved it there.

Couple of restuarant picks: Ze da Muraria (go very hungry!) and if you love seafood Cervejaria Ramiro, just be prepared to wait a wee while to get in!

Make sure you get some pastel de nata at every opportunity.

A day trip out to Sintra is worth it, it's quite hilly, but walkable if you want to work off all the food.
    Last edited by threescoops; 24th February 2022 at 19:40.

Craftsman
    Wonderful city, 3 years since I was last there, in addition to the places mentioned above I'd recommend

www.bgci.org/garden - tropical gardens near the museums, cathedral and the famous pastel del nata bakery
    Tasca Da Chico R. do Diário de Notícias 39 fado club – have the flaming sausages
    Elevador Santa Justa
    Guilbenkian Institute
    Ride the 28 tram end to end - takes you through some really interesting areas without having to hike up and down the many steep hills
    Great spots for people watching are any of the Kiosks in the squares and parks https://www.lisbonlux.com/magazine/q...es-lisboa.html
    We stayed in an air bnb in Campo de Ourique, fascianating area and the covered market also doubles as a dining destination (a lot less frenetic and a more genuine experience than the Time Out Tourist trap)

Cheers

Ian

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Ended up staying in an Airbnb in Bairro Alto & have been wandering the city eating pasteis de nata like they were going out of fashion & enjoying the novelty of being in another country for the first time in bloody years. Considering a trip to Sintra tomorrow before I fly home Friday. Have eaten well, but the crazily good food has eluded me so far. Still, hope springs eternal.