closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have we got any proper kitchen knife snobs here?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I've decided to go for the King KDS 1000/6000 stone from Cutting Edge, it's quite enough to spend when starting out IMHO. I'm also getting this strop, I've been using a smaller one (leather area 155mm x 40mm) alongside my Lansky sharpeners and it's been fine, but a larger one will be better for regular use with longer blades. However I won't be putting any compound on the strop, tried it and didn't like it. I've been looking at sink bridges, but I'll be making my own from wood, easy to do and it'll be plenty sturdy enough. I'll also be getting something to keep the stone flat but haven't looked yet. The kits that Cutting Edge do look good value, but I don't need a rod and the King is a better stone. To be honest I can get anything from my Leatherman Micra up to a 210mm kitchen knife razor sharp with my Lansky kit, it's just a bit of a faff with longer, wider kitchen knives as the blade has to be done in 2 or 3 sections. Sharpening is much more about the skills than the equipment. Also, my Japanese knife deserves to be pampered! ;-)

Gratuitous Lansky sharpening shots, son's abused Leatherman before and after, kitchen knife after sharpening . . .

PS. I look forward to your thoughts on the knife.
    Been looking at getting the Lansky kit. Is yours the diamond or the standard one? Some reviews say the standard one takes too long but I'm sure I can find the time😁

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Been looking at getting the Lansky kit. Is yours the diamond or the standard one? Some reviews say the standard one takes too long but I'm sure I can find the time
    I have the standard Lansky kit, the 5 stone set, which I bought from here. The buggered Leatherman I mentioned earlier didn't take too long, going through all the grades to re-bevel the edge. Just like with a whetstone a strop is good to get a final polish on the bevel. Once a knife is properly sharp a touch up with the strop keeps the edge for ages, at worst a few strokes on the fine and extra fine stones, followed by the strop. Little and often.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I have the standard Lansky kit, the 5 stone set, which I bought from here. The buggered Leatherman I mentioned earlier didn't take too long, going through all the grades to re-bevel the edge. Just like with a whetstone a strop is good to get a final polish on the bevel. Once a knife is properly sharp a touch up with the strop keeps the edge for ages, at worst a few strokes on the fine and extra fine stones, followed by the strop. Little and often.
    Thanks for that👍

I’ve had a 3-stone Lansky for a couple of decades, and whilst it is generally very good- on long blades and ones with a curve towards the tip - it requires to be re-clamped to a new position on the blade to cater for the change in angle.

I still use it today, for smaller blades, but otherwise use an electric sharpener: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chefs-Choic...s%2C386&sr=8-9

(It wasn’t that expensive when I purchased !)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I’ve had a 3-stone Lansky for a couple of decades, and whilst it is generally very good- on long blades and ones with a curve towards the tip - it requires to be re-clamped to a new position on the blade to cater for the change in angle.

I still use it today, for smaller blades, but otherwise use an electric sharpener: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chefs-Choic...s%2C386&sr=8-9

(It wasn’t that expensive when I purchased !)
    I used similiar for 12 years with my Kai Shun knives and it always gets a decent edge.

After a lot of research I finally bought an end grain cutting board to use with the Blue #2 santoku from Hatsukokoro Kumokage that I linked to earlier in the thread. Made from brown oak, American black walnut, American maple and English white oak it's from Skinner Designs. I just finished waxing it before it's first use . . .

. . . before waxing . . .

. . . after . . .

You are right about the rabbit hole comment! Spent the last 2 days looking at end grain chopping boards! We have some left over walnut from a project at work so have started to try make my own, did not fancy £150+ to buy one. Even though it might end up that way if this project goes sideways. Should have it stuck together in a standard format by the end of today, then can cut it up into end grain tomorrow and stick together. Should be fully finished the middle of next week. Going for a 12" wide 18" long board, we also have some oak but decided to just go full walnut for this one. 1" core cubes with a 2" cubes on the top and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    You are right about the rabbit hole comment! Spent the last 2 days looking at end grain chopping boards! We have some left over walnut from a project at work so have started to try make my own, did not fancy £150+ to buy one. Even though it might end up that way if this project goes sideways. Should have it stuck together in a standard format by the end of today, then can cut it up into end grain tomorrow and stick together. Should be fully finished the middle of next week. Going for a 12" wide 18" long board, we also have some oak but decided to just go full walnut for this one. 1" core cubes with a 2" cubes on the top and bottom.
    I got my board for £95, there were some on ebay for @ the £50 mark but not in the dimensions I wanted (400mm x 300mm x 30mm). Also my board has staggered joints which makes for a stronger construction IMHO. I've never felt wood as smooth or polished as the top of this board, almost too good to use! I also got some mineral oil and board wax from the maker to keep it in good condition. Good luck with your project, look forward to seeing your board. To be fair I've had cash inputs at just the right times towards both knife and board via Father's Day and birthday, and incredibly I was mulling over which stone and holder to get when those nice people at NS&I told me I'd won £50 a few days ago, DPD are delivering from Cutting Edge later today, pics to follow! ;-) If you decide to buy a board then I linked to Skinner Designs earlier, and my other choice for a custom board was The Old Board Co. , in oak. I've also got a couple of choices bookmarked from eBay, but stay away from Rhino Woodworks, took my money for a custom build then disappeared, but had a refund pronto via eBay and Paypal.
    F.T.F.A.

That's the expense done with. A King whetstone and a Naniwa stone holder arrived from Cutting Edge earlier, the usual fast and courteous service. There's quite a bit of weight in the stone and holder together, with the rubber feet this thing is moving nowhere. The sink bridge doesn't need to hold the stone now, so I have some gash 2x2 that I'll cut to length in 2 pieces, glue up and countersink a couple of bolts through, then glue and screw 2 pieces of 1x1 crossways underneath at a sinks width apart to hold it in place, with rubber facings to protect the sink. However before all of this I'll see if I can find a suitable plastic tray with the right dimensions to use as a tank with the stone mounted then I can use it anywhere. here's the kit . . .

F.T.F.A.

They are pretty quick with delivery. I got mine yesterday, I messed about with a old very blunt knife and got it to a decent stage using the 1000 then 6000 then a honing and finished with a strop. The knife probably needed a much lower grit as the blade was in pretty bad state. I gave the nice knife a little pass on the 6000 then a hone and strop and it came up nice. Will practice with another blunt knife and work on keeping the edge angle correct.

I can see why they charge a decent amount for cutting blocks! Ripped all the walnut down and stuck it together, even using plano clamps still have large height variances, way too much to sand out, luckily we have a company near by with a planer and going down at lunch so see if it will help. If they can plane it for me, just need to rip it again into 1.5" strips and try stick again, but this time they need to be bang on as dont think I want to risk planing the end grain face.

Have we got any proper kitchen knife snobs here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    They are pretty quick with delivery. I got mine yesterday, I messed about with a old very blunt knife and got it to a decent stage using the 1000 then 6000 then a honing and finished with a strop. The knife probably needed a much lower grit as the blade was in pretty bad state. I gave the nice knife a little pass on the 6000 then a hone and strop and it came up nice. Will practice with another blunt knife and work on keeping the edge angle correct.

I can see why they charge a decent amount for cutting blocks! Ripped all the walnut down and stuck it together, even using plano clamps still have large height variances, way too much to sand out, luckily we have a company near by with a planer and going down at lunch so see if it will help. If they can plane it for me, just need to rip it again into 1.5" strips and try stick again, but this time they need to be bang on as dont think I want to risk planing the end grain face.
    As well as a lower grit stone for very blunt knives (e.g. 300 grit), a flatting plate is a must for all your stones to maintain an even surface. For instance: https://www.japanesenaturalstones.co...diamond-plate/ (just as an example, cheaper ones available)

I hope you get sorted with the planing, looks like some lovely wood you have there. There is a lot of labour involved making an end grain board. Here's a couple of short videos I watched while I was looking. First, the chap who made my board, daren't think what a 1m square oak board must weigh! Second, some artistry from the USA, pleased I don't live over there - could easily have been tempted! ;-) (Errr... not at those prices!)
    F.T.F.A.

I hope you get sorted with the planing, looks like some lovely wood you have there. There is a lot of labour involved making an end grain board. Here's a couple of short videos I watched while I was looking. First, the chap who made my board, daren't think what a 1m square oak board must weigh! Second, some artistry from the USA, pleased I don't live over there - could easily have been tempted! ;-) (Errr... not at those prices!)
    There are some amazing boards out there, so much time planning everything, I did find a free app that you enter all your details and it tells you the size the board will be which was helpful, it can even plan the design.

I managed to get the pieces planed, they are now cut up and will try stick them together as the end grain before the end of today if I get chance.

It would be pretty straight forward if you have the correct saws, plans and most importantly clamps, doing it as a business would be fairly easy and a decent mark up on the work.

Finished the board, the machining process all went well and the board is flat and smooth, after much sanding.

Not overly happy with the colours, ideally wanted more variation which is why I choose those 2 boards full of sapwood. But still happy with the board for my first attempt, might make another one using maple and walnut and a chess board style. The board has had 5 coats in mineral oil, waiting for a finishing beeswax to apply a final coat before using.

Finished the board.......

Great result, well done!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fun fact: IKEA made an end grain chopping board for a very short period.
    Mine's 10 years old at least

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Because of this very thread, I have a KWB knife on the way! This forum is not good for cashflow.

Image1665069766.923713.jpg

Wife bought me a two day knife making blacksmith course earlier in the year.

Lots of hard work went into that but I’m very pleased with it and use it every day.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Because of this very thread, I have a KWB knife on the way! This forum is not good for cashflow.
    How did you come across KWB? They look interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Image1665069766.923713.jpg

Wife bought me a two day knife making blacksmith course earlier in the year.

TZ-UK mobile app
    That looks great.

I've got a similar voucher from my girlfriend's family. I'm intending on making an axe instead. I'll use it to split wood for the wood burner in the new house.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    How did you come across KWB? They look interesting.
    He was mentioned in this thread, and I just loved the look of his work.

I've given him a brief of an oil spill. I think having it all as dark as possible with rainbow/copper colours coming through when the light catches it right.

That looks great.

I've got a similar voucher from my girlfriend's family. I'm intending on making an axe instead. I'll use it to split wood for the wood burner in the new house.
    It will be a great experience and bloody hard work!

My knife was made with 60 layers of twisted damascus steel. The length, shape and even handle was left to me to specify and make. Blade was supposed to be an inch longer but I slipped on the grinding belt! … but it actually worked out for the best. Highly recommended to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Today I collected my KWB knife from a knife show; I first started discussing the knife with Korben back in April. Although I'm yet to use it, I'm very very happy with how it looks! He smashed the "oil spill on water" brief.

At the show I also picked up a gorgeous pairing knife from the Sweetshop forge and a chopping board from Smoking Knives. The black resin of the board has copper flakes in it, it's like it was designed for my knife.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Today I collected my KWB knife from a knife show; I first started discussing the knife with Korben back in April. Although I'm yet to use it, I'm very very happy with how it looks! He smashed the "oil spill on water" brief.

At the show I also picked up a gorgeous pairing knife from the Sweetshop forge and a chopping board from Smoking Knives. The black resin of the board has copper flakes in it, it's like it was designed for my knife.

Looks epic I think it was probably me mentioning KWB; he made a custom bushcraft knife for me a while ago and his stuff always looks incredible. Will see if I can find a photo of it.

Did you go to The Sharp Show? I would have liked to have gone. I’ve just found a guy who goes by Nord Knives who had some cool looking kiridashi’s for the show.

Master
    Without me reading the full thread did anyone identify themselves as a knife and sharpening expert ?

Master
    That would be a terribly un-British thing to do don'cha know?

IIRC it's mostly been people chipping in with makes and techniques that have worked for them. OOK would count as an expert since he makes knives (I believe).

Those are some lovely purchases and great that you got to attend the show. The stalls there would've had me captivated for hours!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    Looks epic I think it was probably me mentioning KWB; he made a custom bushcraft knife for me a while ago and his stuff always looks incredible. Will see if I can find a photo of it.

Did you go to The Sharp Show? I would have liked to have gone. I’ve just found a guy who goes by Nord Knives who had some cool looking kiridashi’s for the show.

Yes, I went to the Sharp Show. My knife was ready at about the right time for the show. I agreed to collect it from there rather than be posted. That way, if it wasn't 100%, he could have sold it at the show and gone on to make me another. What a talent, for what a young guy.

Nord were on the same table. They work from the same forge. He had some nice knives and I almost bought one were it not for the other pairing knife I saw on the stall next door.

Craftsman
    Finished the board, the machining process all went well and the board is flat and smooth, after much sanding.

Not overly happy with the colours, ideally wanted more variation which is why I choose those 2 boards full of sapwood. But still happy with the board for my first attempt, might make another one using maple and walnut and a chess board style. The board has had 5 coats in mineral oil, waiting for a finishing beeswax to apply a final coat before using.

Congrats on the board. I think it's wonderful. Too much contrast and food gets lost. Just right for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    Congrats on the board. I think it's wonderful. Too much contrast and food gets lost. Just right for me.
    Wish I had the skill / tools to amen something like this vs buying one, would be so much more special.

Thanks, the board is holding up well. Planning to make another 2 next month for Christmas. Toyed with the idea of trying to make a 3rd board using Maple, Walnut and Oak but the materials would cost a fair amount. So will prob just make the same board as above as we still have walnut left over from a job I can use. They will be made for Christmas presents.

To be honest I have very little joinery skill, luckily I work for a flooring company that has a small joinery section so we have machinery. We recently purchased a planer so now I can make the next boards inhouse.

The question above about sharpening. I purchased a kit which included a 1200 and 6000 stone, honing rod and leather strop. It is pretty easy to do, I sharpened my knife in sunday, it took about 10 mins to get it razor sharp, easily slices paper. Lots of good youtube videos about how best to sharpen the knife.

That KWB knife looks epic, would be way outside my budget for a knife I could imagine.

Master
    Thanks, the board is holding up well. Planning to make another 2 next month for Christmas. Toyed with the idea of trying to make a 3rd board using Maple, Walnut and Oak but the materials would cost a fair amount. So will prob just make the same board as above as we still have walnut left over from a job I can use. They will be made for Christmas presents.

To be honest I have very little joinery skill, luckily I work for a flooring company that has a small joinery section so we have machinery. We recently purchased a planer so now I can make the next boards inhouse.

The question above about sharpening. I purchased a kit which included a 1200 and 6000 stone, honing rod and leather strop. It is pretty easy to do, I sharpened my knife in sunday, it took about 10 mins to get it razor sharp, easily slices paper. Lots of good youtube videos about how best to sharpen the knife.

That KWB knife looks epic, would be way outside my budget for a knife I could imagine.
    Happy to collect if the postage is too high, very kind of you but I prefer my Christmas gifts to be a surprise lol.

Watched a video on how to make one, and after buying all the kit required it would be cheaper to buy one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Happy to collect if the postage is too high, very kind of you but I prefer my Christmas gifts to be a surprise lol.

Watched a video on how to make one, and after buying all the kit required it would be cheaper to buy one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes I agree, that is why I shelved the idea of making a 3D one, the timber is so expensive. As above, I am just lucky that I have all the machinery at work and the walnut left over from a previous job.

Did a course with Joel Black the other month and we made these, not as incredible as some of the work in this thread but a great weekend was had. Would 10/10 recommend it!

[QUOTE=Bendigits;6087371]
    Did a course with Joel Black the other month and we made these, not as incredible as some of the work in this thread but a great weekend was had. Would 10/10 recommend it!

Very Good work.

I think that's called sharks tooth Damascus...

(I've been watching Forged in Fire with great interest)

I'm keen to have a go at making a knife at some point

Master
    I’m late to this thread but wanted to share that the experience of buying a Takamura knife from MTC in New York was like buying a Rolex. You have to go on the list, wait and they decide who gets one. When I went to collect it because I wasn’t a professional chef I had to chop up some veg to show I was safe !

I can buy all sorts of zombie knives but wasn’t allowed to buy a kitchen knife without proving I was safe.

Is a Stiletto a kitchen knife (asking for a friend)?