closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time to purge a bunch of watches...

Time to purge a bunch of watches...

I find that I'm generally wearing the same 2-3 watches all the time. I like the others, but not enough to crack into the lineup. So a half dozen or so are gonna hit the auctions with no reserve. BIN listings tend to collect dust after a month or two!

Anyone else in a similar situation?

I've done this over the last 4-years or so until last May. Like you I had lots of watches that I liked but just wasn't wearing and so the cull started. I'm now down to around 8 main watches and that may decrease further as I coalesce the collection around a few core examples that I will never sell. I have made acquisitions in this time (Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi 116719BLRO) and will be making others but the overall trend will be downwards.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I found during the pandemic lock down wearing a watch got less and less.I’m down to four now and enjoy wearing those.I have one for sale but if it’s stays with me I won’t loose sleep over it.

Yes, I have found myself not wearing anything other than my Garmin 945 as I run quite a bit. However, I have had enough metrics for a life time and have decided just to wear when I run, so am looking to rationalise to things I am a actually going to wear. Just picked up a Serica 4512 on sales corner, so wasn't quite in line with down sizing! However, love it so it will become one of the few! Like you, I'll put mine on eBay and see what happens, probably need to shift 5-10 ideally.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebuk View Post
    Yes, I have found myself not wearing anything other than my Garmin 945 as I run quite a bit. However, I have had enough metrics for a life time and have decided just to wear when I run, so am looking to rationalise to things I am a actually going to wear. Just picked up a Serica 4512 on sales corner, so wasn't quite in line with down sizing! However, love it so it will become one of the few! Like you, I'll put mine on eBay and see what happens, probably need to shift 5-10 ideally.
    Great buy with the Serica! It’s a beautiful and versatile watch in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    Great buy with the Serica! It’s a beautiful and versatile watch in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to receiving it soon!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I find that I'm generally wearing the same 2-3 watches all the time. I like the others, but not enough to crack into the lineup. So a half dozen or so are gonna hit the auctions with no reserve. BIN listings tend to collect dust after a month or two!

I vaguely remember you having a major clear out last year or is my memory deceiving me?

Grand Master
    I’ve tried one watch, but the current gig is 7, one a day
    RIAC

Watches tend to gain and lose favour.

I have far too many and had a go at cutting down my hoard last year, but I still find myself looking at watches to add.

Whenever I think of selling something, I wear it for a couple of days and decide I want to keep it!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I think I’m at this point too. The collection has got too big, to the point where some great watches don’t get worn. I’m simplifying a bit, so that I wear my iconic ones a bit more often. It doesn’t stop me looking for new additions though!

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've sold more than 30 in the last year, many had been bought as projects but apparently I'm only good at buying basket cases and not having them fixed. Others just weren't getting worn despite me liking them.

I have added 6 or 7 over the same period and fancy a mission timer when they're released so I imagine a few more will have to be sold.

Craftsman
    I'm planning on buying a new watch to mark a upcoming milestone birthday. I'm thinking of shifting 2 watches to make way for this one. this will leave me with 3 main watches; one sports, one tool and one more dressy. I would then wear them in rotation depending on what I was doing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

I performed a watch audit at the end of last year when someone started a thread about the number of watches owned by everyone, and it turned out I have more than 80. Even more than that now, actually. I will probably direct some low hanging fruit to SC soon.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I vaguely remember you having a major clear out last year or is my memory deceiving me?
    A few years ago...

Part with The Precious Things?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I’ve identified 4 watches that I really need to sell - I’m just not wearing them any more. The problem is getting around to putting them on SC - I just cannot seem to get my act together.

In January (having promised myself no new purchases!) I picked up a Gruppo Gamma Divemaster which pushed my tally up to 17, so getting it down to 13 would be good.

I have to give myself some credit though, as I’ve just been offered a Linde Werdelin which I desperately wanted to buy, but for once I actually resisted .

Simon

Grand Master
    I keep saying to myself that I should sell a few but I end up talking myself out if it. I’ve bought a few watches over the years as fixer- uppers to restore and sell, that's fine in principle but in practice it’s flawed; after restoration I end up liking them too much and decide to keep them.

I'm currently wearing a mid- 50s steel Omega Seamaster bumper automatic bought as a pile of parts, I collected all the right bits to restore it and sorted it out 4 years ago. The watch isn’t collectors grade for a couple of reasons but nonetheless it’s a nice example, I put it on my wrist 2 weeks ago in an attempt to decide its fate and I’m still wearing it. Overlook it’s shortcomings and its a super wearable watch that’s now been promoted to the keeper category.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I’ve identified 4 watches that I really need to sell - I’m just not wearing them any more. The problem is getting around to putting them on SC - I just cannot seem to get my act together.
    I feel your pain - - that's my problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I have a slightly different problem, but related. Despite being on the forum for, ahem, many years - I’m more of a consumer and not poster … so I’ve still not cleared the hurdle needed to sell watches - yet I’ve bought double digits worth!

Still … at least this post has moved me one place up the ladder!

Master
    I've been dealing with this dilemma for a few years now as deciding to sell a watch isn't easy but it's easier than actually listing/selling one. I only but what I like and I tend not to fall out of love with a watch, even if I rarely wear it.

This thread might just spur me into revisiting a couple I had for sale a while back and maybe adding a couple more (providing I don't get too busy with, literally, anything else!).