closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Military Watches - Requests for help, advice and general discussion

Military Watches - Requests for help, advice and general discussion

We have had a few new threads in this section with people seeking general help, advice on what to look out for and even opinions on pricing.

I thought it would be a good idea to set up a generic thread so if someone is considering a purchase or a sale and they want to cross the Ts and dot the Is before jumping in, they can ask here.

As always, images help if at all possible if someone wants to know if anything looks out of place or is not original to the watch.

Let’s see how it goes.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 22nd February 2022 at 20:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great idea. Here's another Longines WWW to inspire you!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks nice. As BC says, it should have a flat-topped crystal. Lug & case back numbers match which is desirable. The hands & maybe the dial appear to have that mint-coloured lume favoured by the MoD.

I like them so much that I've got a couple, both sourced from John Senior. I have the rest of the set as well.

Some images for reference:

This is a great idea. Prices are all the place. I've a 1975 6bb Hamilton that I've been thinking of selling but got no idea what is a good ballpark. I've had it a good number of years but never had it serviced. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the back on my phone

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Looks nice. As BC says, it should have a flat-topped crystal. Lug & case back numbers match which is desirable. The hands & maybe the dial appear to have that mint-coloured lume favoured by the MoD.

I like them so much that I've got a couple, both sourced from John Senior. I have the rest of the set as well.

Some images for reference:
    Thanks for that, what a pair of fantastic watches. That’s why there’s not much out there, all the collectors insist on having several of each watch.

Now if I could just find someone who fancies a CWC 1981 Non Lume Nuclear Sub issue Navigator (only 3 known to exist) and a bit of cash on top, I might have the basis for a trade deal. That’s what I offered the guy on e-bay, but he just wants the money.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    This is a great idea. Prices are all the place. I've a 1975 6bb Hamilton that I've been thinking of selling but got no idea what is a good ballpark. I've had it a good number of years but never had it serviced. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the back on my phone

I sold my tonneau shaped Hamilton 7 years ago for £180.

I haven’t been following them closely, but this style seems to have become very popular in the last couple of years.

I’ll take a stab at £600 +/- £100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    This is a great idea. Prices are all the place. I've a 1975 6bb Hamilton that I've been thinking of selling but got no idea what is a good ballpark. I've had it a good number of years but never had it serviced. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the back on my phone.
    A nice looking watch, dial and hands look really nice. I had a quick check and I was going to say around £750 for a private sale, which isn’t a million miles away from BCs value. As always these things are fluid, probably asking a bit more if listed on e-bay and factoring in either offers or reducing the price if needs be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    A nice looking watch, dial and hands look really nice. I had a quick check and I was going to say around £750 for a private sale, which isn’t a million miles away from BCs value. As always these things are fluid, probably asking a bit more if listed on e-bay and factoring in either offers or reducing the price if needs be.
    Going by my dreadful sales track record, I underprice everything!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Going by my dreadful sales track record, I underprice everything!
    I think if the watch was going to be listed for sale it would be worth the seller checking a few watch forums to see what they have been listed for in the last 12 to 18 months. As he says prices are all over the place and at least e-bay completed sales have some use as those reflect actual sales. A popular watch and a nice example, I’m sure it would sell and hopefully we have given a rough ball park figure.

If it was a 6B or SG I would have already PM’d him
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 21st February 2022 at 20:24.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that, what a pair of fantastic watches. That’s why there’s not much out there, all the collectors insist on having several of each watch.

Now if I could just find someone who fancies a CWC 1981 Non Lume Nuclear Sub issue Navigator (only 3 known to exist) and a bit of cash on top, I might have the basis for a trade deal. That’s what I offered the guy on e-bay, but he just wants the money.
    It took me ages to get the Longines & the Omega before John Senior obliged. I’d got the rest by then. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. MWR is your best bet. Plus in depth knowledge to check out the details.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I sold my tonneau shaped Hamilton 7 years ago for £180.

I haven’t been following them closely, but this style seems to have become very popular in the last couple of years.

I’ll take a stab at £600 +/- £100.

Thank you both for the replies. Good to see everyone in the ballpark. It really is nice but I just wear it often. I may have to rectify that. See how I feel about it.

It took me ages to get the Longines & the Omega before John Senior obliged. I’d got the rest by then. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. MWR is your best bet. Plus in depth knowledge to check out the details.
    Thanks. I agree MWR is the right place, I’m on there as KJH666. Doing exactly as you say got me my Australian Smiths DeLuxe GS watch which had been restored by Crispin Jones (mrjones) with help from John Senior. Crispin kindly responded to aWTB and agreed to sell the watch, which I wouldn’t have stood a chance in hell of finding anywhere else.

Gratuitous wrist shot and a very similar case shape to the Longines.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I agree MWR is the right place, I’m on there as KJH666. Doing exactly as you say got me my Australian Smiths DeLuxe GS watch which had been restored by Crispin Jones (mrjones) with help from John Senior. Crispin kindly responded to aWTB and agreed to sell the watch, which I wouldn’t have stood a chance in hell of finding anywhere else.

Gratuitous wrist shot and a very similar case shape to the Longines.

That’s really nice!

Craftsman
    Sorry to lower the tone. Cracking start to the thread. Common or garden W10. Good idea for a thread. I was worried about condition when I bought this, but then thought ’used and reasonable condition’ is so much better. It’s had a life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    Sorry to lower the tone. Cracking start to the thread. Common or garden W10. Good idea for a thread. I was worried about condition when I bought this, but then thought ’used and reasonable condition’ is so much better. It’s had a life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing ordinary about a Smiths W10 - top drawer!

Does anybody have an RAF 6bb Hamilton branded chronograph?

After putting together a collection of 10 x CWC Fatter cased G10s and Navigators issued between 1980 and 1982:

This year has seen a bit of a clear out. I had thought there were 11 watches in all with the elusive 1980 Non Lume Navigator being the one watch that I thought I needed to complete the set, but it turns out there is a 12th. A 1980 Fatboy was issued to the D.O.S and the engraving is the earlier style virtually identical to the 1980 Non Lume Navigator. I’m guessing this is another watch with only one example known about.

I had been mulling about letting a few go as a box of 10 virtually identical looking watches did seem a bit bonkers, but when I was offered the Smiths 1961 Australian DeLuxe GS I definitely needed to sell a few in order to raise the funds.

Basically I’m down to two now, probably the two nicest watches out of the 10. Both from 1981 and they are the fully Lumed Navigator (right below) and the Non Lumed Nuclear Submarine Issue Navigator (left below) of which only 12 believed to have been issued and only 3 of those are currently accounted for.

I’m still open to letting these go as well, but like everyone else, you want the right deal. As always the wish list has a few on it, I’m still looking for a Smiths W10, either a Hamilton 6B or GS and the Longines WWW is indeed a very long shot. I also wouldn’t mind an RAF issued or D.O.S Smiths DeLuxe with the tritium dial. As always, it is a very fluid situation.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 23rd February 2022 at 21:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think you will enjoy looking at this gallery.

https://af0210strap.com/gallery/

Master
    Good idea for a thread WR!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here's a few more images to inspire the thread:

Precista '82, with original NATO strap

1963 Lemania series 3 monopusher

1945 Grana WWW

Master
    Blog Entries
    A nice trio.

I cant believe I thought about selling my 82 (the first batch) earlier this year,I came to my senses.

I spent this afternoon tweaking NATOs cutting them down and the like for my military inspired watches.

In the end I put the 82 on a CNS ribbed which seems to suit.

Edit

A quick photo though I didn’t set the watch.

With a dial like this simple is best.

Last edited by bwest76; 12th May 2023 at 17:15.

Here's a few more images to inspire the thread:

Precista '82, with original NATO strap

1963 Lemania series 3 monopusher

1945 Grana WWW

If you were just setting out collecting a British issued watches they would be the 3 to aim for. (Avoiding the obvious headlines)

Master
    Blog Entries
    1945 IWC WWW

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, more pictures please.

Any history?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Very nice, more pictures please.

Any history?
    No history that I know of. Lucky eBay purchase in June 2006.

Master
    Blog Entries
    More to come...

Craftsman
    I have a minty green lume IWC too, my favourite WWW.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    I have a minty green lume IWC too, my favourite WWW.
    Very nice!

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s some collection you have,very nice indeed.

Craftsman
    Very nice!
    Thank you. Is that a Torres slim bund strap on your IWC too, in one of your pics? Great straps and easily worth the money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    Thank you. Is that a Torres slim bund strap on your IWC too, in one of your pics? Great straps and easily worth the money.
    Yep, Matteo Torres is an outstanding maker of straps

Master
    I love that Lemania mono pusher chronograph - I remember colleagues wearing them around 1982. I was never issued a chronograph but still have my
    Issued 1981 Fat Boy Navigator- issued to me when I was one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app