closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to surprise the wife with a durable daily wearer

Master

Looking to surprise the wife with a durable daily wearer

She has a Rolex DateJust 31 but I wanted to look at something other than Rolex without necessarily breaking the bank balance.

I have liked a few Cartier pieces along with the Tudor Royal and Seiko Grand Seiko STGK009, however my wife’s preference for an automatic movement is making the decision making process more difficult than I would like.

Would be interested to hear suggestions and opinions on the same as all and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by tango; 22nd February 2022 at 12:04.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What's your budget?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    What's your budget?
    I was hoping to be not to be too far off the £3k mark, though if I am honest that can be flexible and I can I be persuaded otherwise.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Tudor BB58?

Craftsman
    Some sort of Cartier Tank Automatic surely a front runner ?

Craftsman
    I think a JLC Reverso would compliment the DJ nicely. If preowned is possible then could be a option?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A posh quartz that requires no thought at all - Seiko Grand or Citizen Chronomaster. Go for a slightly older model and you have a perfect size too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Tudor BB58?
    The thought did cross my mind, though I am not too sure if the 39mm case size would be something she would be averse to. My wife is very much a ladies watch and mens watch kind of person, the bigger sizes immediately make her refer to them as a mans watch and my daughter is no help in my trying to convince her otherwise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I think a JLC Reverso would compliment the DJ nicely. If preowned is possible then could be a option?
    Interesting suggestion. I do like the JLC Reverso myself and think she would too, I've just never thought of preowned as an option, especially when it comes to the better half.

That said I am going to take a look at what the prices are doing in the preowned market.

Thank you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    The thought did cross my mind, though I am not too sure if the 39mm case size would be something she would be averse to. My wife is very much a ladies watch and mens watch kind of person, the bigger sizes immediately make her refer to them as a mans watch and my daughter is no help in my trying to convince her otherwise!
    I used to have a 36mm Seamaster that my wife used to wear occasionally, quite sporty though. I've also seen women wearing Speedmasters and thought they look really good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    A posh quartz that requires no thought at all - Seiko Grand or Citizen Chronomaster. Go for a slightly older model and you have a perfect size too!
    Not sure how well the 'no thought at all' part of things would go down.

I appreciate the reply, thank you.

Craftsman
    Interesting suggestion. I do like the JLC Reverso myself and think she would too, I've just never thought of preowned as an option, especially when it comes to the better half.

That said I am going to take a look at what the prices are doing in the preowned market.

Thank you.
    Medium class monoface Reverso is a great option. Definitely £3k ish pre owned on C24, or new for just over £4-5k.

...My wife is very much a ladies watch and mens watch kind of person, the bigger sizes immediately make her refer to them as a mans watch...
    Tudor may be your friend with the BB32.

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watche...k-bay-32-36-41
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    I used to have a 36mm Seamaster that my wife used to wear occasionally, quite sporty though. I've also seen women wearing Speedmasters and thought they look really good.
    I personally think anything up to 36mm would work for my wife despite a small wrist and I too have seen women wearing BB58 and Speedmasters, I just do not think my wife would be agreeable to pulling it off, which is why I would prefer a maximum size of 36mm I think.

The fact that it's a surprise makes the whole trying before you buy thing a non option and I am trying my best to buy that which I think she will like best and keep, wear and enjoy for many years to come.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure how well the 'no thought at all' part of things would go down.

I appreciate the reply, thank you.
    I meant on her part, not yours! My experience with my wife is that, left to her own devices a pretty watch that requires no setting when she wears it ends up being the one she wears. In her case, despite a fair few choices, there's a titanium Citizen Exceed with a perpetual calender that she defaults reliably defaults back to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I meant on her part, not yours! My experience with my wife is that, left to her own devices a pretty watch that requires no setting when she wears it ends up being the one she wears. In her case, despite a fair few choices, there's a titanium Citizen Exceed with a perpetual calender that she defaults reliably defaults back to.
    Thats a fair point very well made, I can safely assume this may well be the case for my wife too, I guess the whole 'automatic 'preference makes that harder to achieve.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Some sort of Cartier Tank Automatic surely a front runner ?
    I did start looking at these but found I was more drawn to the Santos De Cartier instead. I think the harsh, industrial screws on that model are what drew me towards it. The price point for that piece makes me reluctant, though I haven't ruled it out.
    Last edited by tango; 21st February 2022 at 17:52.

Thats a fair point very well made, I can safely assume this may well be the case for my wife too, I guess the whole 'automatic 'preference makes that harder to achieve.
    Does she prefer automatic because she doesn't want to have to wind or she specify no quartz?

The fact that it's a surprise makes the whole trying before you buy thing a non option and I am trying my best to buy that which I think she will like best and keep, wear and enjoy for many years to come.

If your wife is anything like mine you are living in a dream world.

My wife has disliked every watch I ever got for her.

I'd be very careful especially as you are paying decent money and surprises can often end up as shocks.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Does she prefer automatic because she doesn't want to have to wind or she specify no quartz?
    I think it's more the battery change hassle and yes she has specified non quartz in the past.
    Last edited by tango; 21st February 2022 at 13:46.

Craftsman
    Pre-owned Chanel J12 Very tough ceramic that can take the knocks of daily wear on its stride. My wife has one which still looks to be in cosmetically good nick after many years.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    [/B]If your wife is anything like mine you are living in a dream world.

I'd be very careful especially as you are paying decent money and surprises can often end up as shocks.
    Ha ha ha, guilty as charged, I am forever the dreamer.

Blog Entries
    Try Breitling - Chronomat Automatic 36 - fits your specifications exactly including budget. multiple colours available.

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watc...6/A10380101A3/
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Mostly the same here. She has a really soft spot for Dunhill Facets and liked the Omega AT I got her. Beyond that, what really happens is that she 'borrows' mine, wears them for a while and then puts them in the safety of her jewellery cupboard. She actually complains when I politely ram raid them back.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Try Breitling - Chronomat Automatic 36 - fits your specifications exactly including budget. multiple colours available.

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watc...6/A10380101A3/
    I was looking at these recently for pretty much the same reason.
    They were decent, and had some great options for various dial colours.

In the end I went for an Oris Aquis Upcycle, 36mm version:

https://www.mappinandwebb.com/Oris-A...SABEgIXwvD_BwE

Was a blind buy, as a surprise for her - but she seems well pleased, and the watch is very well made, plus the eco-angle and the fact each dial is individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I was looking at these recently for pretty much the same reason.
    They were decent, and had some great options for various dial colours.

In the end I went for an Oris Aquis Upcycle, 36mm version:

https://www.mappinandwebb.com/Oris-A...SABEgIXwvD_BwE

Was a blind buy, as a surprise for her - but she seems well pleased, and the watch is very well made, plus the eco-angle and the fact each dial is individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Great shout. I've had the larger version and it was a really enjoyable watch to wear. Really different but a good quality feeling watch.

Panerai 38mm range looks really good. Bit pricier list but I can put you in touch with an AD that can arrange a deal for you.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Panerai...8aAiSYEALw_wcB

My first thought was the BB58. It might be 39mm but it isn't a really thick watch and the lug to lug measurement isn't too long either, meaning it will look good on a smaller wrist. I have mine on the Tudor NATO strap and it's perfect as a day to day watch you can wear doing anything.

Another option might be the BB36?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Pre-owned Chanel J12 Very tough ceramic that can take the knocks of daily wear on its stride. My wife has one which still looks to be in cosmetically good nick after many years.
    Thats a good shout actually, J12s are often overlooked but are sturdy as hell.
    MrsV has failed to kill hers despite numerous attempts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    My first thought was the BB58. It might be 39mm but it isn't a really thick watch and the lug to lug measurement isn't too long either, meaning it will look good on a smaller wrist. I have mine on the Tudor NATO strap and it's perfect as a day to day watch you can wear doing anything.

Another option might be the BB36?
    Thank you, jwg663 also mentioned the BB36 and I intend to look into them. Appreciate the insight.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Tudor may be your friend with the BB32.

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watche...k-bay-32-36-41
    Thank you for the suggestion, I am intending to look more into this option. I may just bite the bullet and not surprise her and have her try them on to ensure she gets a watch she really does get on with.

Yes, BB32 is also a great shout. Any of the Tudors tbh would be a great choice

EDIT: just a quick edit to say that the BB58 comes on a fabric strap, not Nato. It's superb and I think costs about £200 new.

Thank you for the suggestion, I am intending to look more into this option. I may just bite the bullet and not surprise her and have her try them on to ensure she gets a watch she really does get on with.
    Last edited by Shane; 21st February 2022 at 16:04.

Master
    Longines Legend Diver 36mm
    Rado Captain Cook 37mm

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Yes, BB32 is also a great shout. Any of the Tudors tbh would be a great choice

EDIT: just a quick edit to say that the BB58 comes on a fabric strap, not Nato. It's superb and I think costs about £200 new.
    I do think the BB32 might be quite similar to the 31mm DJ she wears at the moment (depending on the DJ's bracelet and bezel).

Master
    That is the correct answer.
    I wanted to buy Mrs Beanie a nice watch for a significant birthday, thinking omega Constellation/Seamaster, maybe with a bit of sparkle on the dial, but knew she needed to choose it herself to be truly happy with it. We had a look round a few shops and she walked out with an OP as she loved the colour of the grape dial version. I would never have chosen that for her.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    That is the correct answer.
    I wanted to buy Mrs Beanie a nice watch for a significant birthday, thinking omega Constellation/Seamaster, maybe with a bit of sparkle on the dial, but knew she needed to choose it herself to be truly happy with it. We had a look round a few shops and she walked out with an OP as she loved the colour of the grape dial version. I would never have chosen that for her.
    Yes that is so very true. Everybody is an individual and whilst a there is nothing like a surprise the worst surprise is gifting something that the wife really doesn't think is absolutely perfect. I am more or less decided that I will definitely take out the element of buying without her trying and will limit the surprise to "I am buying you a watch lets take a day to find the one you love and want'.

Only problem with that is the budget is very likely to end up higher than what I may have anticipated, however having seen some excellent suggestions I am leaning more towards having the wife involved in the decision making process.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fas View Post
    Panerai 38mm range looks really good. Bit pricier list but I can put you in touch with an AD that can arrange a deal for you.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Panerai...8aAiSYEALw_wcB
    Fas, I do like the look of that though as you have correctly pointed out, the list on that is considerably higher than my initial intended budget.

What kind of discount could I realistically be looking at in any kind of 'deal'? I would not be wanting to waste my time or the AD's if I am being honest and upfront.

Listen to this wise man. £3k for something she probably won't like - ouch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Listen to this wise man. £3k for something she probably won't like - ouch!
    Point taken and accepted, message heard loud and clear.

The idea played out a lot better in my mind, I am glad I posted for some suggestions and advice as it it's clear what I was intending may not be worth the risk.

Master
    I do think the BB32 might be quite similar to the 31mm DJ she wears at the moment (depending on the DJ's bracelet and bezel).
    She has the fluted bezel on a jubilee bracelet.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Tudor royal?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Tudor royal?
    As stated in my original post I have looked at and do like the Tudor Royal, however the suggestions on this thread have given me a lot more food for thought.

Cartier Santos Medium.

You can also borrow it from time to time and the quick change link system will facilitate that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Cartier Santos Medium.

You can also borrow it from time to time and the quick change link system will facilitate that.
    Couldn't agree more and and I have already alluded to this fact in an earlier message. When I was looking at Tank models in the Cartiers, I found myself constantly drawn to the Santos instead.

I have to admit that it would be the clear frontrunner should I decide to up my budget.

Master
    >She has a Rolex DateJust 31<

What about suggesting a redial with diamond markers? A redial doesn't really affect the value of women's Rolex and the ladies do like diamonds.

Last edited by J J Carter; 21st February 2022 at 20:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    >She has a Rolex DateJust 31<

What about suggesting a redial with diamond markers? A redial doesn't really affect the value of women's Rolex and the ladies do like diamonds.

Thanks for the suggestion, though I don't think that would be for me or her. My preference and I believe hers also would be for an additional watch to what she currently already has.

Master
    A Cartier Ballon Bleu 33mm should be doable 2nd hand under £3K, less if you went quartz movement. It's Kate Middleton's daily driver.

Last edited by J J Carter; 21st February 2022 at 20:38.

Fas, I do like the look of that though as you have correctly pointed out, the list on that is considerably higher than my initial intended budget.

What kind of discount could I realistically be looking at in any kind of 'deal'? I would not be wanting to waste my time or the AD's if I am being honest and upfront.
    Speak to Jitesh at New Cavendish Jewellers. Tell him Fas sent you and he will be able to provide you all the info you need. He has a bricks and mortar store In West London, all details here: https://www.newcavendishjewellers.com/ he’s a great guy and you won’t be wasting your time. No relationship apart from being a very happy customer ( 3 purchases )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fas View Post
    Speak to Jitesh at New Cavendish Jewellers. Tell him Fas sent you and he will be able to provide you all the info you need. He has a bricks and mortar store In West London, all details here: https://www.newcavendishjewellers.com/ he’s a great guy and you won’t be wasting your time. No relationship apart from being a very happy customer ( 3 purchases )
    Many thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    A Cartier Ballon Bleu 33mm should be doable 2nd hand under £3K, less if you went quartz movement. It's Kate Middleton's daily driver.

I have never purchased pre owned so just a little apprehensive on that front.