closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai service, as it happens...

Master

Panerai service, as it happens...

Having had a post on here recently highlighting disappointing experiences with Panerai servicing I thought I would start this thread. We all know that poor experience leads to sharing these and often positive experiences can go unmentioned - although Walter did post recently that he had had a smooth experience with Panerai.

As I'm abstaining from buying watches this year, I decided to get some servicing done. I'm getting my Panerai Submersible 389 serviced and polished, and having my Equation of Time 670 checked under warranty.

The 389 timekeeping is perfect but it is coming up for 7 years old and I use it as a relative beater/travel watch. The finish is in good shape (especially as titanium self-repairs to an extent) but it would be lovely to have it back as new, so I'm requesting the works - full service and polish.
    The 670 is only two years old and has another 6 years of warranty. There's a very small speck on the movement, plus whilst it's a great timekeeper on the wrist it looses time off the wrist, unless moved around. I therefore though I would get this checked out under warranty.
    I've rarely go into London now days so I decided to just go direct via Panerai website to the concierge service, as opposed to via the Boutique. I also thought it would be interesting to see how the direct service is rather than use nearest Panerai AD. I had a great experience with Omega (Swatch) last year going direct, so let's see how Panerai perform.

I'll share progress down below...

(I started this post two weeks ago but didn't post, so I already have some progress, so this will follow very soon).
    Last edited by ASW1; 20th February 2022 at 19:29.

Master
    To get things started I completed a form for each watch and emailed it to the Concierge. In return a courier delivered two packs, one for each watch.

These contained a copy of the form and a flat pack box and return packaging. The flat pack box was particularly interesting and an effective form of return packaging.

Simply pack the stuff and arrange for courier collection... So far so good, couldn't be simpler.
    Last edited by ASW1; 20th February 2022 at 19:31.

Master
    And a week later I get an email with an estimate for the 389. Full service £440 and polish £90. Not bad, and I've given the go ahead for that. The estimate is 10 weeks.

In this same mail they confirmed they have the 670 'creation' and as yet don't have an estimate on this. I had heard that the Equation of Time could only be serviced by the team in Neuchâtel, so perhaps they've sent it there? Whereas the 389 can be done by Richemont in the UK?

Master
    I used the concierge service for service late 2021 and found it excellent. As you've said Allan the set sent to pack and send back is good, communication was good to advise of arrival and then a clear and concise price for the various service / finishes.

Cant really remember what the timescale was from me advising what i wanted but seemed really good, maybe 6 weeks?

All in all i was very happy, everything was good and i had no complaints when i got the 177 back.

Blog Entries
    Interested in this as just in receipt of my first Paneria. Looking forward to the further real-time updates. M
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    As you said normally only the negative experiences get highlighted, hopefully it all goes well. Be interesting to see how long they actually take to return both pieces.

Grand Master
    Serviced a 213 in December, Returned in January without a polish and strap missing! Eventually found and returned for polish, came back 3 weeks later and stopped ticking last week! Oh well it happens
    RIAC

Master
    Ooo 389! Gurt lush!

I bought my 233 back in 2009 and it had always kept good time until last Feb when it started loosing time. It was obviously long overdue for a service (it was serviced just before I bought it, but not in my 12 year ownership) so I contacted Panerai. I used their concierge service via Panera's website. Process was very simple - timeline below

February 12th 2021 - I filled in the online form to request a service
    February 13th 2021 - I received and email confirmation that the "service shipping kit" (packing materials / instructions and a pre-paid DHL Express bag) was being sent out.
    February 16th 2021 - service shipping pack received.
    February 26th 2021 - watch packed and sent using the prepaid DHL bag
    March 2nd 2021 - received an email saying that the watch had been inspected and supplying me with a quote = £550 for a full service, plus an optional £90 for a polish.
    March 3rd 2021 - I printed their quote, ticked the relevant boxes, scanned it and returned it via email (service accepted, polish declined).
    March 23rd 2021 - I received an email telling me the watch had been serviced and attached their invoice & bank details for payment. I paid.
    March 26th 2021 - My 233 was back on my wrist

So all in, just over 6 weeks from my initial email to the watch being back - considering 10 days of that was my delay in packing the watch and sending it off, I was impressed.

We see so many posts from people where service work hasn't been great that I was a little nervous sending it in, but my experience was completely positive - the watch is keeping time now and there were no scratches on the watch that weren't there before I sent it in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Serviced a 213 in December, Returned in January without a polish and strap missing! Eventually found and returned for polish, came back 3 weeks later and stopped ticking last week! Oh well it happens
    Good you got one sorted, I adore mine, it's a great watch and just a little different for a PAM.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Good you got one sorted, I adore mine, it's a great watch and just a little different for a PAM.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk
    I am not sure if he got it sorted. He says it stopped ticking.
    I do agree it is a great watch. Was just wearing it the other day

Just a question re polishing as I’m not an expert on servicing etc.

When I was discussing my 1305 with the boutique they said they don’t polish the bezel yet I see on this thread quotes for polishing. Do they not polish titanium or would they have to polish the whole watch if they did the bezel?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    And a week later I get an email with an estimate for the 389. Full service £440 and polish £90. Not bad, and I've given the go ahead for that. The estimate is 10 weeks.

In this same mail they confirmed they have the 670 'creation' and as yet don't have an estimate on this. I had heard that the Equation of Time could only be serviced by the team in Neuchâtel, so perhaps they've sent it there? Whereas the 389 can be done by Richemont in the UK?
    Had an email last Thursday. The 389 is done. All I had to do was pay and then they will arrange courier to drop it back. 3 weeks as opposed to 10.

A point worth noting is that there isn't an option to pay by card. Only direct payment to Richemont bank account.

Just waiting on the courier to get in touch now.

Re the 670 they've confirmed that this is expected early May. The concierge didn't confirm if it had gone to Neuchâtel, but surely this timeframe suggests that it's not being done by same watchmaker as the 389.

Will update when the 389 is back with me. Hopefully back end of the week.

To add RE Panerai Servicing, I had my 190 serviced recently. Gave it in last week of November, took a week to confirm that it needed to be sent to Switzerland. I didn't polish or replace the crown (which was 'recommended') and the cost was £430 which I was pretty happy with. Returned to me mid February, so all in all quite happy with the turn around and touch wood, working well too!

Oh this was all via the Panerai Boutique, they also took loads of pictures in case any issues occurred with scratches etc.

Master
    389 arrived back today. They include a service case, but the watch is simply in the cardboard shipping box. I guess it might be because it's sealed after quality control and the service case is really a 'free' travel case they throw in.

All seems right with the watch. Perfectly happy with the process and experience.

Now the clock ticks for the 670.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^

glad all is good. Thanks for the update. Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    389 arrived back today. They include a service case, but the watch is simply in the cardboard shipping box. I guess it might be because it's sealed after quality control and the service case is really a 'free' travel case they throw in.

All seems right with the watch. Perfectly happy with the process and experience.

Now the clock ticks for the 670.
    I remember having my 1389 sent back in the same style box
    I did complain to them that the box wasn’t sealed
    It would have been so easy to replace. £10k watch with something else

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk