timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Manners maketh a man.....

Manners maketh a man.....

Sorry, but a bit of a rant!
    I was bought up that:

“Good manners cost nothing.
    Bad manners can cost you your reputation”

Meaning:Today this expression broadly means that your mannerisms and characteristics make you who you are, that is to say people are judged by their manners and conduct.

So why do some people (members) find it acceptable too NOT bother replying to your PM's?
    Recently sent a couple to different members and got no reply, even though they have clearly visited the forum.
    Is it me, am I expecting too much?

Rant over :-)
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 18th February 2022 at 11:05. Reason: Corrected predictive text spelling!

They could be busy? I know what you mean though, it grinds my gears when someone doesn’t send a quick message to say everything is ok.

I’ll always try to respond within 24 hours but sometimes life/kids/work/cat get in the way and it can slip the mind.

Add them to a list of who not to deal with. There’s good and bad on TZ, just like in real life

Never heard that expression, is it real or a typo?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not sure, but the expression is "Manners maketh Man".

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Two of my private messages disappeared over the past few months, they were in the sent folder, but gone days later, so could be that, perhaps?
    Try Facebook marketplace, you'll pull your hair out..

Depending on what your settings are - it is possible to miss that the 'message' tag at the top - is highlighted.

I've certainly missed it on occasion.

If the members in question use tapatalk, it has been a nightmare of late. Would be very easy to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    If the members in question use tapatalk, it has been a nightmare of late. Would be very easy to miss.
    Bit of a detour, but Tapatalk does seem unreasonably slow and glitchy lately. I think I’ve tried everything and it doesn’t help much. Do you know of a good alternative?

maketh, not taketh, but I agree it is a bit rude not to reply if they've had time to visit the forum.

I get an email when I have a new PM.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    Bit of a detour, but Tapatalk does seem unreasonably slow and glitchy lately. I think I’ve tried everything and it doesn’t help much. Do you know of a good alternative?
    Not aware of any alternatives. Obviously the browser but if you are using your phone it’s rubbish.
    Bizarrely Tapatalk does run slightly better when using a VPN, still glitchy though.

It’s not just PMs. Members asking for advice and you go out of your way to help… and then diddly squat.

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    Two of my private messages disappeared over the past few months, they were in the sent folder, but gone days later, so could be that, perhaps?

This.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Manners taketh a man.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    It’s not just PMs. Members asking for advice and you go out of your way to help… and then diddly squat.
    Again (not the only reason I am sure) but if using Tapatalk, notifications are hit and miss. Unless you go back through every thread then I can see how some people would miss others quoting etc.

Not an excuse for all but I imagine a lot of TZers do not ever go onto a desktop and use there mobiles. So if using Tapatalk your stuffed really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sorry, it was predictive text, who decided that I had spelt the word wrong!
    Now corrected :-)

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    maketh, not taketh, but I agree it is a bit rude not to reply if they've had time to visit the forum.

I get an email when I have a new PM.
    Same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    This.
    Not had much experience with Facebook, don't trust it, instead tend to use our own fantastic FS Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    They could be busy? I know what you mean though, it grinds my gears when someone doesn’t send a quick message to say everything is ok.

I’ll always try to respond within 24 hours but sometimes life/kids/work/cat get in the way and it can slip the mind.

Add them to a list of who not to deal with. There’s good and bad on TZ, just like in real life
    That is a practice that I tend to follow.
    I am fairly certain that they would have received the PM's as I had been in contact previously.
    This happened 3-4 weeks ago.

Oh well it was their lost.
    Instead I just wanted to have a rant about good manners and the lack of them by some!

depends what the pm is about, tbh in the past ive had lowball offers on sales that were taking the proverbial enough that i could not be arsed to reply back with a friendly answer so i did not bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Not aware of any alternatives. Obviously the browser but if you are using your phone it’s rubbish.
    Bizarrely Tapatalk does run slightly better when using a VPN, still glitchy though.
    It might be the only software helped by a vpn then, bizarre indeed. I haven’t been able to find alternatives either.

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    FB market place is full of low balling chancers & people who say they'll take the item & then just don't show up.

That said, but I do use it occasionally to sell stuff.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I’ve given up on FB marketplace now. I tried to get rid of a Dyson air multiplier full size floor standing fan on there a few weeks ago.

The endless attempts to scam and messing about led me to take the advert down after a week.

Never again.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Manners cost nothing, unless you’re emailing “thanks” or “merry Christmas” to the solicitor I used for my divorce.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I’ve given up on FB marketplace now. I tried to get rid of a Dyson air multiplier full size floor standing fan on there a few weeks ago.

The endless attempts to scam and messing about led me to take the advert down after a week.

Never again.
    I sold a b+w zeppelin speaker the other week on fb without any problems but to be honest that was the exception rather than the norm from my experience

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

I think the "life/kids/work etc" isnt really valid tbh,it took me less than a minute to post this.

Others can do the same....surely.

Almost forgot to reply to this because errr well just because ok.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 19th February 2022 at 15:58.