closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Television issue?

Master

Television issue?

I’ve a Samsung curve tv which I’m guessing is at least 6 or 7 years old. Last night it just turned off. We can turn it back on and hear sound for about two seconds then it switches off again. Tried the old. ‘Turn it off and on again’ at the wall and nothing. My technology skills are zero. Am I right in thinking nowadays it’s not worth trying to get it fixed? I recall someone telling me that a few years back.

If so where’s a good place to buy nowadays? We got this one from John Lewis I think, but that was a few years back. Something around 50/55 inches. I’m guessing telly’s have moved on again. Thanks.

Craftsman
    I am pretty clueless too, but I would not buy a Samsung now because apparently they are riddled with ads you can’t get rid of. I don’t know which brands are ad free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I am pretty clueless too, but I would not buy a Samsung now because apparently they are riddled with ads you can’t get rid of. I don’t know which brands are ad free.
    I have a new Samsung TV and honestly don’t know what you’re referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Just purchased a 55” Samsung smart tv and so far so good no idea where this “ ads problem” comes from ?the set has all the apps already installed and we have it linked to headphones and sound via bluetooth.Bought from JL with a five year G- Tee and was delivered for the same money as AO , Curry’s or Richer sounds.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

If so where’s a good place to buy nowadays? We got this one from John Lewis I think, but that was a few years back. Something around 50/55 inches. I’m guessing telly’s have moved on again. Thanks.
    I always start at Richers Sounds, they normally have the best deals and the folk in store are quiet knowledgable. JL is a good shout for the Customer Service. Avoid Currys and the likes!!!

Can you peel them off?

Master
    The only ad I get on my Samsung TV is a big splash one right across the top when you're in the interactive menu of the TV (it disappears when you scroll down again). If you have Sky and set the TV source to your Sky box then you don't see any ads (so when you switch your Sky box on the TV turns on as well and just shows the Sky menu). Also it's very easy to switch off ads in the menu settings, loads of instructions on this online.
    Couple of examples below of my Samsung which I bought in September last year:

Main TV menu, no ads.

Only ad I see if I scroll down which then disappears if I scroll again.

How my TV is normally set up, switch on Sky Q and TV comes on as well straight to the Sky menu, no ads.

Got a bit sidetracked there, to answer your original post I'd probably bote the bullet and buy a new TV seeing as yours is getting on a bit.

Slightly OT ... If I was buying a new TV, I'd decide what size I wanted, then pick one at about £500 from the main brands. I'd do a web search to make sure there wasn't lots of negative feedback about that model. Would I be missing anything significant by not chasing the latest tech?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Slightly OT ... If I was buying a new TV, I'd decide what size I wanted, then pick one at about £500 from the main brands. I'd do a web search to make sure there wasn't lots of negative feedback about that model. Would I be missing anything significant by not chasing the latest tech?
    Depends really on what you're going to be using it for, films, gaming, normal TV watching 4k Ultra HD, 8k etc etc. To be honest if it's just for standard TV, Netflix, Sky etc then a £500 TV will be more than adequate (so long as you're not trying to buy a massive one😁). Pop over to AV Forums as there's loads of buying guides for all price ranges.

Blog Entries
    https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...dFeHRlbnNpb24=

I paid £449.00 delivered and it does what it says on the tin.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    As others have already suggested, whatever you buy purchase from either JL or Richersounds, both offer excellent aftermarket warranties, 5 years with JL 6years with RS.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I always start at Richers Sounds, they normally have the best deals and the folk in store are quiet knowledgable. JL is a good shout for the Customer Service. Avoid Currys and the likes!!!
    Why avoid Currys and the likes? You are buying a TV shipped in a box, how can Currys mess that up.

If you mean avoid them because they only offer 1 year warranty, then you have to weigh up the additional cost of the TV in order to provide a 5 year warranty from JL or 6 year warranty from RS.

Failure rates are so low on TVs that I decided to purchase my TV from Argos is full knowledge that it only had 1 year warranty. But it was more than 20% cheaper than the equivalent TV in JL.

Statements like avoiding Currys etc., some of the largest retailers in the U.K., is nonsense

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Why avoid Currys and the likes? You are buying a TV shipped in a box, how can Currys mess that up.

Statements like avoiding Currys etc., some of the largest retailers in the U.K., is nonsense
    If you ever have to deal with the likes of Currys, PC world etc after purchase, their Customer Service is abhorrent.

i dont think im alone in that thinking.

Curry’s CS can sometimes be a load of BS so best avoided if you can but having said that it doesn’t stop me purchasing from them, just not big ticket items.

Master
    Thanks everyone was the replies. I'll look into all the suggestions :-)

I’ve a Samsung curve tv which I’m guessing is at least 6 or 7 years old. Last night it just turned off. We can turn it back on and hear sound for about two seconds then it switches off again. Tried the old. ‘Turn it off and on again’ at the wall and nothing. My technology skills are zero. Am I right in thinking nowadays it’s not worth trying to get it fixed? I recall someone telling me that a few years back.

Sounds like one of the boards has gone...try turning it off at wall for a longer period 15mins at least
    Richer Sounds are very good, the AV Forums are a good place to look at the various options
    A good piece of advice i learnt from there was that your contract of sale is with the shop you brought it from not the manufacturer , so don't let the shop fob you off with you must contact Samsung, JVC etc......
    I brought a LG OLED from RS absolute different league and they are now down in price , don't be scared of the new technology either mine has been great even er indoors likes it

Cheers

If you mean avoid them because they only offer 1 year warranty, then you have to weigh up the additional cost of the TV in order to provide a 5 year warranty from JL or 6 year warranty from RS.

Failure rates are so low on TVs that I decided to purchase my TV from Argos is full knowledge that it only had 1 year warranty. But it was more than 20% cheaper than the equivalent TV in JL.

TV's are the most unreliable electronics products that you can buy,

In context they are also the only product that is is use the most of the time, most that fail do it very early on.

We have Samsung smart LED TVs in the bedrooms and an LG OLED in the kitchen, the LG is a much better tely in every way, picture, sound, menu's, remote, but was more expensive.

OP looks like your power supply has failed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    TV's are the most unreliable electronics products that you can buy

May be true but they were a lot worse in the '70s .. I remember the TV repair man paying a visit at least twice a year when I was a kid. It was the reason we rented the telly rather than buying one. Every time we came home from a holiday and switched the TV on, it would be broken. Didn't like being left inactive for a couple of weeks at a time.

To be fair the last time I had a problem with a TV was 2002 and that was an old CRT model that I'd bought in 1989.

I wouldn’t touch Curry’s with a barge pole after experiencing their “customer service” in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have also had a 55" Samsung Curve TV for the last 7 years or so, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Samsung again. In fact, I just bought my dad a 55" Samsung for his birthday. It was about a third of the price of what I paid, and the pictire quality is noticeably better, especially the depth of the black.

Under the recommendation of my brother, I purchased it from Very.com, as they had an offer of 20% off if you used Very credit, which can then just be immediately paid off. It was an absolute steal, and considerably cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I think the offer is still on, too.

Cheers

Master

Just something to check but is the Samsung mains (plugs directly into the wall) or low voltage from a transformer/power unit like a laptop?
    If so is the latter knackered rather than the tv itself?

Master
    Thanks, price has gone up a bit and can’t get delivery from JL until March, but that model seems ideal for what we want and we found it on very.com as per another suggestion which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...dFeHRlbnNpb24=

I paid £449.00 delivered and it does what it says on the tin.
    Thanks for the heads up. Wife applied and we got 20% off so paid £400 for a £479 plus delivery costs telly so ideal :-)

Also allowed us to pay using our card.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    I have also had a 55" Samsung Curve TV for the last 7 years or so, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Samsung again. In fact, I just bought my dad a 55" Samsung for his birthday. It was about a third of the price of what I paid, and the pictire quality is noticeably better, especially the depth of the black.

Under the recommendation of my brother, I purchased it from Very.com, as they had an offer of 20% off if you used Very credit, which can then just be immediately paid off. It was an absolute steal, and considerably cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I think the offer is still on, too.

Cheers
    Thanks we tried and it’s in the mains. Also turned it off for a while like someone else suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Just something to check but is the Samsung mains (plugs directly into the wall) or low voltage from a transformer/power unit like a laptop?
    If so is the latter knackered rather than the tv itself?

Sound advice

Craftsman

Thanks for the heads up. Wife applied and we got 20% off so paid £400 for a £479 plus delivery costs telly so ideal :-)

Also allowed us to pay using our card.
    Result!

Master
    Im wondering if you’ve given it a sharp bang on the top like we used to in the ol days - usuall came back on

Master
    Bin it and buy a new one.

If you ever have to deal with the likes of Currys, PC world etc after purchase, their Customer Service is abhorrent.

i dont think im alone in that thinking.
    Currys are hopeless to deal with. I wouldn't go near them.
    Richers or JL are the best to buy from.
    I bought a Samsung for the MIL last year from Richers. The young delivery driver even offered to unbox it and set it up. You wouldn't get that from Currys.

6 years from a Samsung TV....no way I'd then buy another, that's rubbish.

John Lewis CS also shite now so I wouldn't be swayed by that!

Try a Panasonic or a Sony, or LG if your want OLED

That said, at the start of the 1st lockdown, I needed a cheap panel for my home gym, and got a Hisense with Roku built in, cheap as chips and bloody brilliant!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 18th February 2022 at 21:14.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Im wondering if you’ve given it a sharp bang on the top like we used to in the ol days - usuall came back on
    And fiddle with the the horizontal hold.

Should have gone to Radio Rentals
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Sounds like one of the boards has gone...try turning it off at wall for a longer period 15mins at least
    Richer Sounds are very good, the AV Forums are a good place to look at the various options
    A good piece of advice i learnt from there was that your contract of sale is with the shop you brought it from not the manufacturer , so don't let the shop fob you off with you must contact Samsung, JVC etc......
    I brought a LG OLED from RS absolute different league and they are now down in price , don't be scared of the new technology either mine has been great even er indoors likes it

Cheers
    No expert here but I had a similar problem with a 8 year old 50” Panasonic TV we had in the conservatory, some web research threw it up as a fairly common problem with older sets where a failed/dodgy capacitor on the power board was stopping it switching on and staying on, I did not bother throwing money at it other than about £14 for the local council to collect it.
    I remember many years ago when there were some primaeval beasts called TV repair men, when you called them out they would take the back off the set, throw gubbins everywhere, drink tea and ‘hey presto’ 30 mins later it was all back together and working!
    Without boring you all to death, modern TV’s, tech for £££, seem cracking value these days!
    Last edited by KavKav; 19th February 2022 at 08:09.

Old TV repair was very often just replacing a failed valve. The real skill was knowing where not to touch, as there could be dangerously high voltages present on the body of a tube.

Sounds like some of the backlights may be dead if it momentarily switches on.

As others have said try RS, their CS, advice and willingness to help is why we last used them much better than JL whose CS in my opinion is not what it used to be.

Craftsman

I'd also stick with RS or JL plus you can usually get a price match meaning you get the longer warranty at the same price as Currys. I've always found RS staff knowledgeable and in my experience they don't push the most expensive item if they don't think it suits your needs.
    Customer service is excellent. My soundbar failed. Within 2 days I had a courier arrive with a box and packing materials. 2 days later they picked it up and two days after that I got a phone call apologising that they couldn't fix it and proposing a replacement model which was delivered the next day

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Annoying update - payment came out on our credit card though there was no email confirmation. Called ‘very’ today for an update as and they can’t find any record of it, even though we gave them an order number. Told us we would have to email them to ask for our money back - we said what about the telly? To cut a long story short their customer services department had zero interest in sorting it out, nor could we complain to a manager. So we’ve emailed asking for our money back!

As JL’s earliest delivery was March, we drove to Curry’s (despite my reservations) and picked up a LG for £399 which will do for now and seems fine.

Annoying update - payment came out on our credit card though there was no email confirmation. Called ‘very’ today for an update as and they can’t find any record of it, even though we gave them an order number. Told us we would have to email them to ask for our money back - we said what about the telly? To cut a long story short their customer services department had zero interest in sorting it out, nor could we complain to a manager. So we’ve emailed asking for our money back!

As JL’s earliest delivery was March, we drove to Curry’s (despite my reservations) and picked up a LG for £399 which will do for now and seems fine.
    Haven’t they got a formal complaints process? Do it in writing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Haven’t they got a formal complaints process? Do it in writing
    Emailed it and was supposed to have a call back from a manager …..

Television issue?

Having said I’d avoid Curry’s I’ve just ordered a free standing cooked from Currys, had a bit of an emergency, wife was cooking on Wednesday with a pressure cooker and it exploded, extremely lucky that she didnt get hurt but it wrecked the cooker, cooker hood and splattered lentils all over the kitchen in all directions. Took bloody hours to clean and we are still finding areas of the kitchen or items splattered in lentils.

Curry’s was the only place able to deliver a new cooker without waiting weeks, hopefully one that doesn’t match the kitchen will arrive tomorrow.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 19th February 2022 at 20:22.